MAGS March "Cut in Half" (Result)

Started by Stupot, Tue 05/03/2024 03:10:29

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS March?

MORT: Manageably OK Response Team (by RootBound)
3 (33.3%)
Pod Dwellers (by Mandle)
1 (11.1%)
Breakfast Requiem (by jfrisby and Babar)
5 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: Fri 26/04/2024 11:55:52

jfrisby

Quote from: RootBound on Thu 11/04/2024 13:51:56P.S. If anyone else is stuck on MORT, just let me know. Happy to provide hints or a walkthrough. :)

I finally got to try this, really cool!  .. and I am stuck :D   
Spoiler
I made it to the motion sensor/laser/crate on my own..  I now have the drone over on the side with the motion sensor, but I can't figure out what I'm trying to do.
[close]

RootBound

@jfrisby
Spoiler
If you lift up the crate by the motion sensor using the magnet, you'll see a panel. But it affects something on the other side of the screen. If the right side MORT hasn't gotten far enough, you might need to send the drone and the magnet back across to help until both MORTS are at the same level of progression. Let me know if you need more specifics.
[close]
They/them. Here are some of my games:

jfrisby

Quote from: RootBound on Sun 14/04/2024 01:24:54@jfrisby
Spoiler
If you lift up the crate by the motion sensor using the magnet, you'll see a panel. But it affects something on the other side of the screen. If the right side MORT hasn't gotten far enough, you might need to send the drone and the magnet back across to help until both MORTS are at the same level of progression. Let me know if you need more specifics.
[close]

Spoiler
Maybe I'm getting a bug or something.. I can't seem to lower the magnet thing onto the crate, I've been clicking on every variation I can think of..  and the button/crate on that screen doesn't do anything on click.  The switch moves the magnet..  The drone doesn't seem to want to touch them either.

confirming location:

[close]

RootBound

@jfrisby
Spoiler
There's no magnet attached to the hookup. You need to go back and geta magnet before you can lower it. You'll need to trade the magnet back and forth between the MORTs by sending the drone, carrying the magnet, through the chutes. Based on your screenshot I think the magnet is on Green MORT's side a few floors up. Purple MORT is going to need it first, so send it through the first chute, and then you can send it back to green MORT once they are both on a level with a sensor.
[close]

cat

@RootBound Very cool game so far!

I'm stuck in the final room.
Spoiler
I had the metal plate on both sides, but don't know what to do.

Btw, I managed to have inventory items disappear. Once in the first room the metal strip and once in the final room the metal plate. I think the drone was carrying the metal plate when I was messing with the magnet? Not sure.
[close]

RootBound

Glad you're enjoying, cat!
Quote from: cat on Mon 15/04/2024 21:17:56I'm stuck in the final room.
Spoiler
You only need the metal plate on the left side. It's actually not supposed to be able to go through the chute. Whoops.
The left side is a matter of timing, which will give you what you need to solve the right side. You can open the panel on the left side but only while the robot is moving away from you. There is also a panel behind the holding cell which the drone can open. That should give you what you need to solve the left side. (This must be done before you can solve the right side). To solve the right side, you may need to sacrifice something.  ;)
[close]
And I'll need to look into the inventory item issue. Thanks for the bug report.

Shadow1000

Quote from: RootBound on Mon 15/04/2024 21:49:57Glad you're enjoying, cat!
Quote from: cat on Mon 15/04/2024 21:17:56I'm stuck in the final room.
Spoiler
You only need the metal plate on the left side. It's actually not supposed to be able to go through the chute. Whoops.
The left side is a matter of timing, which will give you what you need to solve the right side. You can open the panel on the left side but only while the robot is moving away from you. There is also a panel behind the holding cell which the drone can open. That should give you what you need to solve the left side. (This must be done before you can solve the right side). To solve the right side, you may need to sacrifice something.  ;)
[close]
And I'll need to look into the inventory item issue. Thanks for the bug report.

Spoiler
I also had the metal strip disappear on me before I did anything with it. I had to restart the game once I found out that I needed it
[close]

cat

@RootBound
Spoiler
I was able to take the connector from the center panel and open the left panel (but not take anything from it). When I clicked the magnet hook on the right, suddenly there was a magnet hanging there and the drone was carrying another magnet. So I reloaded before that and couldn't manage to open the panel again.
[close]

RootBound

@cat ugh, another bug. My apologies for how difficult this game seems to be.
Spoiler
when you open the panel, you can get the magnet out of it when the robot is moving away, but only if you click while purple MORT is within a certain distance.
After that, same deal. You can put the breaker door into the empty panel to trap the robot below the big magnet. The timing is difficult, but it can be done. Then crush the robot with the big magnet. Here is how to solve the righthand side:
Spoiler
Use the drone to take the power circuit and the magnet through the chute, then use the drone to attack the robot, sacrificing the
drone. This traps the other robot, which can be defeated with the magnet.
[close]
[close]

cat

Spoiler
Quote from: RootBound on Tue 16/04/2024 22:05:53when you open the panel, you can get the magnet out of it when the robot is moving away, but only if you click while purple MORT is within a certain distance.
I tried that millions of times, but I can't get it to work. I was lucky and got it right one time, but never again.
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: RootBound on Tue 16/04/2024 22:05:53@cat ugh, another bug. My apologies for how difficult this game seems to be.
Spoiler
when you open the panel, you can get the magnet out of it when the robot is moving away, but only if you click while purple MORT is within a certain distance.
After that, same deal. You can put the breaker door into the empty panel to trap the robot below the big magnet. The timing is difficult, but it can be done. Then crush the robot with the big magnet. Here is how to solve the righthand side:
Spoiler
Use the drone to take the power circuit and the magnet through the chute, then use the drone to attack the robot, sacrificing the
drone. This traps the other robot, which can be defeated with the magnet.
[close]
[close]

Spoiler
I found that unless you do things in the last room in pretty much the exact order intended, the inventory system gets all confused and you write over one of the grenades with another item and the game is unwinnable. Still a great game and will be even better when the bugs are ironed out. Got my vote!
[close]

RootBound

@cat Thanks for not giving up. I guess I need to recode that part of the game. It's supposed to be hard but not that hard.

The way I think it works is this:
Spoiler
First have MORT get shot at by the robot, which will automatically turn the character around and walk back a bit. Leave the character right there until the robot turns around.
When the robot starts moving away, click twice in quick succession. First click to walk closer to the panel, second to click on the panel itself. Both clicks must happen before the robot stops moving away. That's how I got it to work consistently in testing anyway.
[close]
@Mandle Sounds like something is very wrong with the inventory code. (Which was supposed to be simple.) Thanks for reporting all these bugs.

I'll see if I can get a bug fixed version uploaded soon. The game clearly isn't truly playable yet. :(

RootBound

@cat Here is a version where the final room is more playable.

EDIT: (link removed by me, updated version below).

I have not been able to reproduce the inventory issues yet, or any of the other serious bugs. Can anyone be more specific as to how they happened?  ???

EDIT 2: I found the magnet bug in the final room and am working on fixing it. It's notfixed in the version in this post yet.
Spoiler
I'm HOPING this is connected to overwriting the grenade as well. Can't be certain because I still haven't reproduced that.

I can't figure out the disappearing metal strip though. It's supposed to get replaced with the metal door, but not go away before then.
[close]

EDIT 3:
Fixed every bug I could find so far. Still looking for a few things.

PATCH 2 HERE:
Windows: https://www.mediafire.com/file/fyyum7eh9u241my/MORTWindowsPatch2.zip/file
Linux: https://www.mediafire.com/file/l0mn8tgscf4s14l/MORTLinuxPatch2.tar.bz2/file

cat

@RootBound
I've finished the game (original MAGS version)
Spoiler
I randomly clicked around the area of the panel, that brought be more progress than trying to time it correctly  :-D
[close]

RootBound

Quote from: cat on Wed 17/04/2024 20:38:00@RootBound
I've finished the game (original MAGS version)

Glad you made it! Thanks again for sticking with it. Just edited my above post with a second bug-fix version. Hoping all is functional, but still couldn't reproduce the disappearing metal strip except for when it gets used (see explanation in spoiler above).

cat

@RootBound
Spoiler
I tried very hard but was not able to reproduce the inventory issue. I think it happened when the drone was carrying the item, both times on the left side. The metal strip disappeared before I used it on the panel door.

Some possible improvements for a post-MAGS version:
-Either put a load button on the start screen (preferable) or make the intro cutscene skippable with a single ESC press.
-The drone dialog box is rather annoying, disrupting the flow. When the drone has no inventory and is not active, clicking it could not bring up the menu but instead just select it (since this is the only possible action anyway)
[close]

I'll write up some reviews for all games in the next few days.

heltenjon

I made it through MORT (The first version) and now read the various bug reports. Here's how I encountered the bugs:
Spoiler
I was able to bring the magnet from the right side with me into the final room. I guess this was not supposed to be possible, but dropping the crate doesn't block the lift after I've used it. Additionally, the messages when using the drone in the second last room to the right after having been in the last room and going back, did not fit with the current situation. But those are minor annoyances.

Final room: When the drone carries the grenade, re-taking it transforms it into another item. I guess the one it carried before. I found myself having two circuits or two metal doors. (I also suspect things get messy when both the person and the drone have an active item and try to drop it, although I haven't tested that thoroughly.) You may already have fixed this; I haven't tried the updated versions.
[close]

I need to download the updated version of Mandle's game and try to beat it before I give my vote and final reviews, but I can reveal that I have had tons of fun with all three games already.  (nod)  Great work, people!

RootBound

@heltenjon in fact, NONE of the bugs you mention have been fixed in the patches I've done so far. Once more unto the breach, it seems!

RootBound

So @heltenjon identified the cause of the overwriting inventory item issue (THANK YOU!  :) ), a bug which makes the game unwinnable.

Hence, I feel the need to release one more patch. I understand I'll still be judged on the original version, of course. I just want people to be able to finish the game.  :-[

I'll try to wait until after MAGS for any more patches, because this is getting ridiculous.

Thanks very, very much to everyone who braved the bugfield and made it to the end of the game! You'll all be thanked in the post-MAGS version credits.  :)

And special kudos to the other entrants for submitting games that gave me zero bugs! ;)

WINDOWS PATCH 3:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/xkkyapuhftq38yd/MORTWindowsPatch3.zip/file
LINUX PATCH 3:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/0i2m4td5h0mwxv9/MORTLinuxPatch3.tar.bz2/file

RootBound

(Bump) Just a few more days of voting!  :)  I was really impressed with both the other games entered, and lots of people should play them.  (nod) Great competition this month!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk