AGS 2.61 Pre-final Edition

Started by Pumaman, Sat 28/02/2004 23:04:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

SteveMcCrea: I like that suggestion - I'll take a look at how easy it would be to detect the ambiguous situation.

In terms of adding to the manual, where would you guys recommend? Which is a scripting-related page that most people will actually read?

Scorpiorus: that always would compile with no errors. It won't work though, because no memory is allocated for the string, so what you actually get is basically the equivalent of this in C:

struct STR {
 char *text;
};

If you try to use the string, the unassigned pointer will likely cause a crash.

This is yet another reason why structs are an unofficial unsupported feature :)

Scorpiorus

QuoteScorpiorus: that always would compile with no errors.
hehe, so it was always that way? I could have sworn I saw that strings are not allowed within struct error message somewhere.
Thanks for clarifying :)

ags-thriller

So many new features! - Do anybody know, when 2.6SP2 or even 2.7 is realesed? This or next month?
And please a new demo game, too, because its from 18 July 2002!!!
Thx

Scummbuddy

Oh, great, you had to ask, didnt you. Now, he'll delay the release, just because.  He said you should never ask when release dates are. Its done when it is.

Some forum members are "working" on the new demo game.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

ags-thriller

Oh thanks, I didn't know that, now I know it! Its like Duke Nukem: When it's done! ;-)

Vel

Hmmm.... I  think I found a bug.

First, I added an object to the room, changed its image, and made sure it was visible. But when I tested the game, it was not. Then I restarted AGS and all changes I had made the last time had disappeared, including the object and some script. Hope this description is clear enough.

Pumaman

Did you definitely save the room as well as the game?

Vel

Most certainly. I follow Al Lowe's golden rule - save early, save often.

Radiant

- when importing multiple sprites simultaneously, I cannot specify the resolution for which to import them, or the transparent color; instead I have to manually input all of them if I want non-default values.

- in the sprite manager, when no sprite is selected and you press delete, the 'are you sure' box pops up and AGS seems to delete something if I click on 'yes', I'm just not sure what.

- a search and replace option in editor would be nice

- when importing a font fails ('not a SCI font file'), a temporary file remains in the directory

- when a string contains characters not printable in a certain font, it would be nicer to just ignore those characters rather than crashing the game. Or print blanks. Along the same line, if I do 'Display ("error %s")', apparently the '%s' gets replaced by a null-character since there is no string specified, so it crashes the game. It would be nicer to display a blank or question mark.

- when using a SCI font, character 127 remains unusable even if it is present

Vel

Is the addition of a cancel button on the input box really necessary? I used it as a passwrod for a database, and if you didn't type the correct one, it ran quitgame(0).

Pumaman

Quote from: Radiant on Tue 13/04/2004 10:56:29
- when importing multiple sprites simultaneously, I cannot specify the resolution for which to import them, or the transparent color; instead I have to manually input all of them if I want non-default values.

It's designed as a "Quick import", so the resolution is chosen automatically as the game resolution; the transparent corner is whatever was last selected in the Sprite Import window. I appreciate this isn't really made clear anywhere.

Quote- in the sprite manager, when no sprite is selected and you press delete, the 'are you sure' box pops up and AGS seems to delete something if I click on 'yes', I'm just not sure what.

Well spotted - in this case it doesn't actually delete anything, but the message really shouldn't appear. I'll fix it.

Quote- a search and replace option in editor would be nice

Aye, I'll think about it.

Quote- when importing a font fails ('not a SCI font file'), a temporary file remains in the directory

Well spotted, I'll get it fixed.

Quote- when a string contains characters not printable in a certain font, it would be nicer to just ignore those characters rather than crashing the game. Or print blanks.

I'm not sure about this one - then we'd get questions from people asking why their text wasn't appearing. At least the current way they get a message to explain what they're doing wrong.

Quote- when using a SCI font, character 127 remains unusable even if it is present

I'm not sure why that would be, but it's not really a high priority issue. I'll look into it at some point.

QuoteIs the addition of a cancel button on the input box really necessary? I used it as a passwrod for a database, and if you didn't type the correct one, it ran quitgame(0).

Good point - I'll make the Cancel button optional.

Vel

strazer

Quote- when a string contains characters not printable in a certain font, it would be nicer to just ignore those characters rather than crashing the game. Or print blanks.

Agreed. Especially when translations come into play. I wouldn't want my finished game to crash/quit because some translator used a special character that is not allowed.

At least make it an option. Maybe a checkbox in the editor or at least a function we could call at game_start?

Radiant

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 13/04/2004 19:23:30

I'm not sure about this one - then we'd get questions from people asking why their text wasn't appearing. At least the current way they get a message to explain what they're doing wrong.
Not really, you get a message stating you're displaying illegal characters, whereas what they're actually doing wrong is not supplying enough parameters to the Display() function. If I ask the user to enter a string, then display the string later, the game will crash if the string happens to contain '%s'. Of course there is an easy workaround but the error message isn't exactly clear.

Quote- when using a SCI font, character 127 remains unusable even if it is present

I'm not sure why that would be, but it's not really a high priority issue. I'll look into it at some point.
It's not really important, but I wanted to create a SCI font containing extended ASCII (in particular, accented vowels). I suppose I could overwrite the brackets and other seldom-used characters instead.

Pumaman

Quote from: strazer on Wed 14/04/2004 10:34:50
At least make it an option. Maybe a checkbox in the editor or at least a function we could call at game_start?

Ok, I'll add it as a "game." variable - that way, it's hidden enough for n00bs not to use it by accident and wonder why their text isn't working; but it's available for those who want it.

QuoteNot really, you get a message stating you're displaying illegal characters, whereas what they're actually doing wrong is not supplying enough parameters to the Display() function. If I ask the user to enter a string, then display the string later, the game will crash if the string happens to contain '%s'. Of course there is an easy workaround but the error message isn't exactly clear.

Ah ok, well this is a different situation to the one in which the user does actually type extended characters into their message. Display() should really check the number of arguments passed to it, but that's a seperate request which is already on my list. If you don't supply it enough parameters, the results can be unpredicatable.

The workaround for displaying player-entered strings, in case anyone wants to know, is simply to do this:

Display("%s", playerString);

since that way, the player string will not be parsed for special tokens.

Kweepa

Room repeatedly_execute_always!
Thank you!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Radiant

- in the script editor, the ALT-codes for special characters (i.e. ALT-130 = e-aigu) work, but also move the cursor around erraticly. This seems to be a bug?

- when the small window comes up that lets you select a value in the GUI editor, AGS no longer shows up in ALT-TAB (but it is still in the taskbar)

- would it be possible to add some more hot keys to the editor for hotspot areas etc? I.e. +/- to select hotspot number, and I,P,S,R for the interact, property, set/remove hotspot buttons

Isegrim

Very tiny mini bug: RawDrawImageResized crashes the game if the size parameters are zero.
Funny thing that it only happens when this is tried several times, when calling it once with zero size, nothing happens...
Code:

// script for room: Player enters screen (after fadein)
int i,j;
while (i<320)
{
 i++; j++;
 RawDrawImageResized(0,0,5,0,0);
 Wait(1);
}

But huge thanks for that, I NEEDED that function!
This post was generated automatically and therefore bears no signature.

Pumaman

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 19/04/2004 13:50:36
- in the script editor, the ALT-codes for special characters (i.e. ALT-130 = e-aigu) work, but also move the cursor around erraticly. This seems to be a bug?

I just tried it out but I didn't get any erratic cursor movement. What version of Windows are you using?

Quote- when the small window comes up that lets you select a value in the GUI editor, AGS no longer shows up in ALT-TAB (but it is still in the taskbar)

Hehe thanks for the report, I'm not sure that this is worth the time to fix.

Quote- would it be possible to add some more hot keys to the editor for hotspot areas etc? I.e. +/- to select hotspot number, and I,P,S,R for the interact, property, set/remove hotspot buttons

Sounds reasonable enough, I'll add it to my list.

QuoteVery tiny mini bug: RawDrawImageResized crashes the game if the size parameters are zero.

Thanks for the report, I'll get it fixed.

Radiant

I just tried it out but I didn't get any erratic cursor movement. What version of Windows are you using?
ME. I believe on looking closer that Alt-4 moves the cursor to the far left, etc. I am using the numeric keypad though, it hadn't occured to me yet to use the keys above the letter keys.

Two more tiny bugs that aren't really important
- it is not possible to display the '@' symbol on a GUI. If you do, it appears fine in the editor, but in the game it disappears along with the rest of the line. Maybe @@ or \@ could be used?

- would it be possible to add a TAB character for using in dialogs? So you can display a list in a neat way with the Display () command.

This one however has some importance...
- if a GUI is set to Z-order 0 or 1, it still appears over Sierra-style speech dialog boxes. Maybe you could let the editor set a Z-order for the textboxes?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk