Most disappointing adventures

Started by SSH, Mon 26/05/2003 13:40:36

Previous topic - Next topic

SSH

What adventure games disapppointed you most? I must say, having just finished it, Syberia is awful. OK, the graphics are great and the story is interesting, as far as it goes, but:

Gameplay is terrible: why are there so many useless hotspots (esp. in Valadiene?)

Dialog system is not great: the relationship between the topic and what is said is often tenuous.

Too much walking through empty screens

Has the feeling that they meant for there to be more to it, but ran out of money or time

Cryptic cursors... O-, 3O, O WTF?

No look-at options for hotspots

Matt Brown

I would say KQ7. sure, it was pretty, but the puzzles were random, it froze a lot, and the weird saving system created walking deads. plus, it had the hated one click does all GUI. I think it was made for little kids....but then the dialog wouldn't have made sense. all confused....
word up

Eggie

I recently picked up KQ7...I quickly vowed never to play it again...
A magic water purifieing statue? WTF??
A SONG!!! A BLOODY DISNEY-STYLE SONG IN THE BLOODY INTRO!!!

That does it, if sierra are trying to impress me they've failed! They've FAILED!

Walking deads,
Twiddle puzzles,
More walking deads!

*Kicks Sierra in the groin repeatedly*

I agree with all of you, but nothing sucks more than EMI!!!
Albert Barillé and Hergé, we love you

Eero

Voyeur II... It takes 20 minutes to play thru, picture is worser than the picture of the cheapest webcam's, actors are so bad I just want to puke... And you can't save either...

TheYak

I'm a bit shocked that anyone expected anything from any Voyeur game.  They're absolute crap with that being their total ambition.

Anyway, Syberia was more FMV and dialogue than puzzles from what I understand.  

KQ7.  This is a sad chapter in my adventure gaming life.  A KQ in SVGA! Wow, I hafta purchase this now!  However, you install the thing (and note how long it takes due to all the crap it throws in there) and fire it up.  You're greeted with the disney-style song and cutesy animations. The writing is horrid (I think Roberta Williams handed the idea to her kid and asked them to write it), the puzzles are terrible and the game's buggy as hell.  Even bad guys aren't remotely menacing (like in the other KQ's:  Evil witches, Mordac, the Genie and the Sultan (or prince or whatever he was)).  I'm sorry to say I don't believe I ever played past when you first enter a forest and confront  a bear or wolf or whatever it was.  

KQ8 - Noone's mentioned this one?  After the crap that was KQ7, we hoped they'd revitalize the series.  Okay, they're going 3d.. maybe it'll add something.  AFter all, it worked for Lucasarts with Grim Fandange.  It seemed to have a darker tone and more adult atmosphere.  Excellent.  However, you fire up the game and the first couple minutes of gameplay you're able to actually influene is combat.  A combat engine in a KQ game?!?  action-adventures have been done better than this...  I think even Tomb Raider.  I, sadly, haven't finished this one either.  I'll hafta buy it bargain-bin somewhere or d/l it to see if the story-line's at least worth a crap.

Other adventures.. well, we haven't seen too many recently.. I loved The Longest Journey.  QFG 5 was playable but was utter crap compared to any of the others.. with a horrid combat-system, dumbed-down puzzles and a 3d-engine that only depicted a 2d world, thus making that 2d world look that much less detailed.  Why didn't they just do a sprite-based game in hi-res?  ARgh. Then, it seems, the only adventures being released are Myst clones or pre-rendered rail-walking quest games.  I've purchased a few out of desperation for adventure.  How sad is it when the best adventure game to be released for sale in the past couple years is from an Amateur from AGS? (Fatman is a wonderful return to adventure roots, highly recommended).

Nacho

Escape from Monkey island... and I am not a purist who doesn´t like non-Ron Gilberst sequels. MI3 is great.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Pesty

Besides the ones mentioned (what was with that save function in KQ7? Otherwise I liked it a lot), I'd have to say Fable. That game had so many spots that it could've branched out and done way more with, but it was just a straight way through, without any deviations. If there were more to it, it would've been a really good game, but as it is, it's sub-par and I'd say wasn't really worth buying. My sister and me finished it in one day. Bleh.
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Trapezoid

CMI is loved and praised now that it's not the most recent game... When it came out it many people complained that it just rehashed the humor and style of the original games. EMI comes out and they complain that its humor and style are not in the spirit of the previous games.  ???

A lot of people have said that EMI is just fine as a stand alone game, but as a MI game it's terrible. I think that's ridiculous. Nobody takes anything at fzcking face value anymore.

Nacho

Quote from: Trapezoid on Mon 26/05/2003 19:39:29
CMI is loved and praised now that it's not the most recent game...

Well, Trapezoid, I loved CMI since I saw it... It has differences between MI and MI2, well, but... EMI is a totally different.

I´m not against 3-d games... I love Grim Fandango, but for MI4 they should went on with the point´n´click adventures, I think...
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Trapezoid

You weren't around to defend it when it first came out though, were you?
And likewise, all the people who were disappointed with CMI seem to have disappeared. Think history would repeat itself if they made MI5?

Eggie

I was dissapointed with CMI...

But I loved it right up until that (fantastic) dialog with Lechuck ended. Two short, stupid chapters leading up to one of the worst game endings I have ever seen...

...sad... :'(

neighbour

I didn't like the ending in MI2, and i still don't understand how guybrush could continue after the worst ending ever in a monkey islandgame!
agree?
Signature. I know what that is! It's a state in the USA. right?

Privateer Puddin'

oh man i fricken loved the mi2 ending, it was sooo great

neighbour

I seriosly hope that was a joke
Signature. I know what that is! It's a state in the USA. right?

Privateer Puddin'

no, i was 6 when i completed mi2, and it was such a wonderful ending which left me thinking about whats really happening, a bit like the new matrix

Raggit

Hmmm... Nothing really comes to mind for me...

If I had to pick the adventure game I liked the least it would probably be KQ7.  I don't hate it but it could have been much better.  Never played KQ8, it just look too much "shoot 'em up" and not enough King's Quest.

I never purchased QFG5 becuase I knew it would be the same stuff as KQ8.

It's so sad that Sierra's last adventure games were so poor. I miss the good old Sierra.
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Adamski

Joke? ::)
The MI2 ending is quite possibly the best game ending ever. Could anyone else think up a more insane twist?

Barcik

Quote from: custard on Mon 26/05/2003 21:14:43
oh man i fricken loved the mi2 ending, it was sooo great

I'm with you on this one, especially after 'cheating' and reading the most probable 'solution'.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk