How did you find AGS?

Started by Phemar, Mon 14/06/2004 14:59:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Phemar

So, as the subject implies, How did you find AGS?
Were you just browsing the net and found a link?
Did you hear it from a friend?
Etc?

Darth Mandarb

I remember a thread for this WAY back about the time I found AGS ...

But I never get bored of telling the tale!

I was watching TechTV's show Call For Help (which the bastards have since cancelled) and they talked all about AGS on there and provided a link.Ã,  It sticks in my head that CJ was ON the show, but I can't really remember.

I went to the website and downloaded and started playing around with AGS and my life's never been the same since.Ã,  I spent the next three days doing NOTHING but playing about with it and making my first 100000 room AG with mind-blowing graphics and animation and sounds and wonderful plot/story and the best AG ever made!Ã,  Which was never made.

Typical :)

Raggit

I think this thread should go into the popular thread forum.

I had been browsing the internet and had ran across AGS.  But I actually didn't download it the first time, I decided to go with AGI studio.  But then I couldn't get it to work for me and I remembered seeing this AGS thing on the internet and gave it a try.  And just like Darth, my life has never been the same.   I still remember drawing my first BG for it and everything.
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Captain Mostly

I found it via 2dadventure.com, which later vaished...
I spent a long time making RL&BAT having nothing to do with the community...
then I started posting during the making of a game with Abstauber and m0ds...
Not the most interesting of stories, but I'm a little proud that my first EVER project actually DID make it as a released game! Now that's what I call inspiration!

Phemar

Hehe, cool....

I suppose I should post my story:

I actually played Leisure Suit Larry 1 on my cousin's PC. I went home and looked for it on the net...I found a site called http://www.dosgames.com/, it didn't have Larry but it did have a link to AGS. I downloaded 5:00 o' clock in the afternoon and worked straight through the manual/tutorial until 1:00 o'clock in the moring...Hehe...

Dave Gilbert

I played some AGS games, like Larry Vales and Rob Blanc, but I didn't know about the engine until I discovered RON.  I had read about it on underdogs and thought it would be something cool to check out.  I played through them all (this was back when there were about 5 RON games, as opposed to the 60+ today), and thought to myself: "Heck, I could do this!"  So I downloaded AGS.  Five games later, I'm still around.

Czar

I remember back then when I was reading a then most popular croatian games magazine, in the letters section a guy asked about game engines, and he mentioned Adventure game studio. He said that it was okay but also that it was a little old, and was asking for advice on new ones.
  Thats when i googled it up and saw that this is how the solution to my secondary dreams's name was- AGS.
It was ofcourse v. 2.31 or sooner?, but i remember the Oh-so-revolutionary version with the 2.4 BETA!!11!!

Enough of them clear sentences from me.

Czar

And yes, this was before.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Privateer Puddin'

I found it a few years ago when i was a wee lad and downloaded it, got confused by the dos editor and left it.. i think that was before the ezboard?

Then i came back just over 2 years ago, this time having a better understanding of the dos editor and managed to start.. yeh good stuff

Sam.

can't remember how long ago it was, maybe 2-3yrs? i had just finished my FOA, FUll throttle,Gf game pack and I thought it would be fun to make my own. I searched and searched for game engines. Form crappy 3d o crappier rpg. I finally found this and downloaded AGS and tsarted
messing around. I've only made two games witha thoird in producuiton. But i love this place!
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Secret Fawful

Raggit

Ever wonder what CJ was doing or where he was at when HE concieved the idea for AGS???
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

mätzyboy

Me and a friend wanted to make a point'n'click western game. We had a great story and looked for the right engine, which turned out to be AGS. We made one background, one front view of a single character, som music and a small test screen where you could look at some hotspots and walk (actually, float since we only had that single frame of the only character) behind some stuff... Then we didn't get any further. I posted a new wersion of our cowboy character at the old forums some time later, when I was planning to make the game myself... Since then I've been a hangaround here and actually finished some games of which one has been played by some of you guys!

Isegrim

I found QFG 4 1/2 on the Underdogs and was totally stunned by its quality...
Having my "Knubbel"-creatures on my mind, I was struck by the idea to make an adventure game myself, downloaded AGS, did a few animations, scripting and Backgrounds and stuff.
Unfortunately, my studium has turned out to be very time-and nerve-consuming lately, so I haven't worked on my game for a long long time now *sigh*...
This post was generated automatically and therefore bears no signature.

strazer

Hm, I don't even remember... ???
I visited the forums about about 1 1/2 years ago, posted some character art in the Critic's Lounge, then quickly lost interest.
I returned earlier this year and have (slowly) been working on a game ever since.

QuoteEver wonder what CJ was doing or where he was at when HE concieved the idea for AGS???

Check this out: The AGS history

Or did you mean something else?

MrColossal

I was out for a walk in the park and I saw something shiny on the edge of my vision, I ran over to where it was and lifted a rock and WOOP! There was AGS!

It looked so cold and alone so I brought it home and emailed it's creator, CJ was very thankful and had no idea how it got to America. I shipped it back within the week.

I think now all current versions of AGS have their legs hobbled before they're released...
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Dart

I really don't have this huge story to tell about how I came upon this site...

... but it was from downloading freeware adventure games from The Underdogs had I first found AGS.

DragonRose

I posted on a QFG message board and posted in a topic about making a fan game, saying I could do background art.  I got an e-mail from a guy who was making a QFG fangame, who needed an artist.  I downloaded AGS to find out what kind of art would be needed, and started goofing around.  I made a few backgrounds, but the guy never told me what kind of art would be needed, or even what the game was about.  So I kept the backgrounds and started making my own game.

Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

Blackthorne

Well, AGS came to me in an acid induced dream, in which I, while sitting in the desert eating peyote with Jim Morrison, had a revelation, and I wandered to the nearest internet oasis, upon where AGS was presented to me, engraved upon the golden scrolls of Moroni.

Actually, I can't remember how I found it; probably some abandonware site had a link; I've been using AGS for years now.  The first version I had was in DOS, though.  ROOMEDIT....
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

[Cameron]

I saw the RON games on Underdogs. I was intrigued that i didn't have to be a pro to make a game. I came to this website and BAM! I fell in love with ags. Bu asofar i have made nothing i was going to but i decided to practise my skills first.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk