How did you find AGS?

Started by Phemar, Mon 14/06/2004 14:59:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Baily63

My story is like this.

I was searching for game creators, and I found a website with a link to lots of them. Unfortunatly, they all bumed me out because they were to small, or to complicated for my mind. I doubted hopes, but a year later I turned back to the website, and noticed a brand new link to AGS!! ;D

i''ve been playing for 3 days now, using every moment to try to create my game. But I'm stuck with a new problem every moment lol.

Kreator

Well a few years back (3 or 4), I got a PC GAMER magazine, and in the freeware section, was, Wait for it....... AGS!Ã,  :D

But.. I was only 12 or 13 years old then. And I found it confusing and rather hard. So i gave up on it.

Then a couple years later, I bought a PC Powerplay magazine. And on it was 5DAS and 7DAS. I really enjoyed them, except i never finished any of them. I got stuck in 5DAS on the last day, and stuck in 7DAS in the part where captain Barry is trying to kill you.
Ã,  Ã,  When i have up on playing these games, i decided to make my own. And i did, it's called hotel hell. But i never had the internet so i never uploaded it.

But a few weeks (im 16 now), i did get the internet. So i made a website, polished Hotel Hell up a bit and put it on. And then i got a walkthrough for 5DAS and 7DAS, and i beat em. And now i'm really into AGS and making heaps of hopefully good games. My latest one is Azunite's Tale btw.

Well thats how i found AGS, among a lot of other things! :)
And btw, why dont you go and download Hotel Hell, and let me know what you think for it being my first time. And being only 14 when i made it!

ALPHATT

I was looking for DOS adventure games on dosgames.com
when i saw a section:"game creators" and the first one was....AGS ;D

So I've downloaded and now I'm happy that i found it :D
/sig

Indeleta

I found out after playing '7 Days a Skeptic' and read some more info on the author of the game. Then it lead me here, I didn't think that there was a actual program that makes games like 'Kings Quest' or 'Space Quest' like.

Ariadne

One of my favorite sites (www.lazylaces.com), which almost never posts downloadable games, posted "5 days a stranger" and "7 days a Sceptic".

vertigoaddict

I've always been interested in game makers, especially if they'r free.

I was in this clock tower fan website and one of the users pointed out how he was surprised that no one had attepmted to make a clock tower game with AGS.

Of course I was making a fangame at the time, but with RPG maker 2003 (cause there aren't a lot of games out there made from this program, a lot of people may think this program sucks but if it's a clock tower fangame, if it's clock tower related, you just have to play it) and I was also making another game based on a 3 min movie one of the users made for a compettition; it was called halloween horror, I'm using RPG maker 95 for this one; I think it's because it's old and not so popular anymore, I'm attracted into using not so popular things...

Anyway, back to the second paragraph, I googled AGS and found this link. The first game I downloaded and played was Bestowers of Eternity and I loved it  (not much on the graphics though and a few of the lines near the end and the very begining)

Anyway I've already got like ALL the RPG Makers (95,2k,2k3) except for XP. And I was already far in production of my games, so I wasn't going to make a ct fangame with AGS; maybe in the future for the sequel to my curren one.

Instead I decided to make a game with a clock tower: first fear feel ( he first in series of clock tower was made for the snes console, a point and click game) it's currently in research and drafting so I couldn't post it in 'games in production' thread; I will after everything's peiceing together and it's demonstratable (though, I won't be showing any demos, I hate demos!)

so, that's it I learned about AGS in a Clock Tower fansite and I googled it o get the link.

Erenan

I was told about AGS by myself from the future.
The Bunker

larino87

I was searching through the web for adventure games and I came across AGS. I thought I'd like to make my own game someday, just to prove that I could do it and for love of the genre. So, here I am. That was last year and I still don't have a game idea or even know how to use the engine. I was busy with school and teaching little kids piano, but the idea of my own game still stuck in my head and I had a lot of friends willing to help me with character ideas over instant messanger or the phone.
Now I'm your queen... bow down to my queenly queenliness
                  --Libby Folfax

James (Aka: The Geek)

My friend, Chris (not jones), said hey James! Have you ever heard of ags. I said no. He told me bout it. That was the greatest moment of my life!

Now that I have AGS:
1.  I have more confidence
2.  My spelin has improved
3.  Girls find me attractive
4.  I have mony (this may explain #3)

ok not really. Now I just spend more time on the computer.
"I reject you reality and substitute my own"     -Adam Savage

"When 900 years old you reach look as good you will not"     -Yoda

"LLAP!"     -James

Eigen

It all started a couple of years ago. I visited a Navajo elder and among other things he said that I would have a vision in the future. I asked "What vision?" and he said "If you give me something in return, maybe I will tell you." You know, the usual adventure-game-like situation. So, I gave him a pack of tobacco, and he told me that it will be a vision of a "blue spirit". I had almost forgot about it until one night AGS's blue cup came to my dream and it spoke to me. It said "Wake up .. wake and open the editor and be a creator!". Then I fell asleep again. I don't know if it's mocking the spirit but I am yet to finish a game...

;D

Well, actually I came across AGS from an old AGI/SCI site...but the first story is way cooler.

Retroid

I was reading about fanmade games on Wikipedia and found a link... Then I became hooked!

blueskirt

I bought a pack labeled "5001 Games" back in 98 or 99 that contained 4 CDs full of demos, shareware, freeware and a few occasionnal complete games in it, like Leisure Suit Larry 1 EGA. Larry Vales 1 and the old DOS version of AGS were on it too. Made a bunch of backgrounds in MSpaint, messed a bit with it but that was it. Larry Vales 1 didn't impressed me at the time.

Then a few years later while I was playing QFG2, I stumbled on a website with "QFG2VGA remake" written all over it and with pictures, I was very impressed, I downloaded KQ1VGA, a year later I downloaded KQ2VGA+, and 3 months after that I decided to give a try at a few AGS games to see if there were any other good games. I began with Permanent Daylight, which impressed me, then I tried Pleurghburg and 4 days later I was forever hooked to AGS.

And now when I want to scare me, I just have to wonder how different my life would have been if I gave up during the first day on that dreaded locked door puzzle in the morgue.

voh

I think the first AGS game I played was Larry Vales, which I enjoyed, but never even knew it was made with AGS. Then I came across 5 days a Stranger and got intrigued by this "AGS" thing I'd heard about before. So I looked it up. Registered on the forum not too long after, still haven't finished any game, because I'm a lazy slag and I suck at most things required to make a game, but I'll get there in the end :D
Still here.

TerranRich

I could've sworn I replied to this thread, but it seems I never did.

Back in about 2001 or 2002, I found m0ds' home site (Screen 7) and noticed that he did MIDI soundtracks for free for games. At the time I had the dream of my game, and was using (eeeccchhhh) Visual Basic to make it. He introduced me to AGS and I became a member of the EZBoard forums as a result. I transfered here during the switch in July of 2002.

I actually had tried Adventure Creator (as it was first known as) by searching the internet for game creation programs, but I found it hard to use and didn't know about the forums as a support source. I re-visited it when m0ds told me about it.

Thank you m0ds! :P

Gilbert

Quote from: TerranRich on Fri 29/06/2007 03:46:11
I could've sworn I replied to this thread, but it seems I never did.

Probably because you posted in the EZBOARD era, that thread seemed to be gone though.

Since I think I didn't post mine after the forum move, I'll post about it here:

I was a die hard DOS user, probably around 1998 and 1999 when I searched for DOS utils I found the DOSUser Homepage (it is blasphemy here if you don't know what it was) so I joined the DOSUser mailing list for news on stuff and got news about Adventure Creator releases (in fact I was not a die hard adventure game lover, and never is). I did try some versions of AC at that time but they always crashed on my computer for unknown reasons. When V1.13 was released I decided to give it another try and suddenly everything worked and the rest are all history.

Holocoz

I was busy looking for another game maker two years ago when I stumbled upon AGS. I found it interesting, gave it a try, but quite using it after a week. Now, I'm back, and I'll try to take my game making life one notch higher.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

brewton

I played adventure games from a very young age. I learned to read and write from commands in Space Quest 1 and I probably can blame Tim Schafer for my wacky sense of humour. I found AGS way back in 1997, when I was maybe about 8 or 9. I used to go into work with my dad on Saturdays (He was a BOFH and did maintenance on the computers). Anyhow, I was obsessed with finding a way to make my own games. I used to use Altavista and search for things. One day I found this program called "Adventure Creator". It perked my interest, but being so young I didn't understand exactly how much work it would take to make my own game. So, it lay forgotten for a few years. Then in about 2001 I picked it up again (now with the shiny new AGS name).

ricarleite

I've being playing adventure games for quite a while, and found out about AGS on Wikipedia.
I want you to stay in here, and make sure HE dosen't leave!

Lionmonkey

The story about how I found AGS.

I've always had a nostalgy for good old Adventures like Monkey Island or Space quest. Since I'm 14 years old this may seem strange, but the truth is that my first PC (I've had 3 including the current one) was WAY too old and so, I could only put inside the CD the "200 best games of all genres", containing almost all of these good old games, and some not so good old crap.
A couple of years ago I've already had a new PC, a taste of modern games and the Internet. But suddenly the nostalgia had striken me. I tried to launch the "200 best" to replay Space quest 5, but the CD didn't work! Apparently it got too old. I decided to search the Internet for "Free monkey island OR space quest" and after a few bad tries eventually got to the abandonia.com.   

To be continued...

Lionmonkey

...and after being thrown from the computer by a mob of angry parents and relatives and regaining the control back, I continue my story. Abandonia.com  contained a lot of abandonware, good old games, which were sucessfully forgotten and not sold anymore. From there I found Abandonia's sister site -- Abandonia Reloaded which was dedicated to "retro remakes and community made freeware. And after finding there  5 days a stranger, I finally found the AGS!

THE END.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk