Heroine's Quest: The Legend of Fair Spring (NEW DEMO!)

Started by Dmatrixone, Mon 29/11/2004 00:11:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmatrixone

Heroine's Quest: The Legend of Fair Spring has a NEW demo!!!

Game Website: http://www.corbydesigns.com/hq/
The website is getting an overhaul in a few days.

Download the new demo: http://www.corbydesigns.com/hq/hqintro.zip (12.5 Mb)

Background Story:

Many years have passed since Queen Vivienne broke her neck when thrown by a horse. King Gareth died a month ago from a wasting sickness. A month of mourning was observed before the coronation for Crown Prince Marcus was scheduled.

However, on the eve of his coronation, Marcus has disappeared. There is some evidence of a struggle in his chambers. No one knows where he has gone, and the entire city is on edge.

Worse still, an army of undead soldiers is attacking the kingdom. They are being led by an evil warlock who is constantly raising more undead to join his forces. Prince Edmund is commander of the Kingdom's army and so far they are valiantly holding back the invading forces. But information from the front line is not making its way back to the city, so no one is certain which way the tide of the battle flows.

The entire populace is on edge, what with the abduction of Crown Prince Marcus and the menace of the undead army. There is only one way in and out of the valley, and that is where the battle is taking place. No-one can get in and out of the valley, as a blockade has been set up to prevent civilians from wandering into the battlefield.

However, stray undead soldiers have been finding their way into the valley â€" it is not safe to leave the city at night. The daytime is no safer, as many monsters menace the valley.

Our heroine has grown up in the countryside in a small cottage with her family. One day a strange old wizard arrives, seeking a champion to serve as a hero to the town of Fair Spring. An old friend to the heroine's father, the wizard convinces him to allow his daughter to travel to the town, claiming it to be her destiny. Reluctantly, he agrees.

Check out the screenshots:

All the artwork featured in the game is original, by Corby LaCroix and Love Fagerstedt.
All the music featured in the game is original, by Dmitri Zavorotny.

Don't forget to stop by our forums and give us some feedback and report bugs.
http://corbylacroix.proboards36.com/index.cgi

Enjoy the NEW DEMO!

Darth Mandarb

I remember this art style from awhile back in the Critics Lounge!

This game looks great!  I'm DLing the demo as soon as I have the time!

Pet Terry

Sweet. It really reminds me of Quest for Glory IV, graphically at least, which is one of my favourite games by Sierra. Though I must admit I'd prefer it if the game was fully in resolution 320x240.

Nice job on music... it is really original and very atmospheric. Heh, the tune in wizard's shop reminds me a bit of 'Richard Longhurst and Box that Ate Time', but it works fine in that room.

The sound effects when exiting and entering rooms (the door sounds) are too loud, I think. I'd say make them a bit more quiet. Oh, and animate the cursors!

Keep it up, I'm waiting for the full game.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Gregjazz

Very nice!

I'm going to play the demo, and I'm excited!

Pod

Wow. That artwork is absolutely ----ing gorgeous! I'm downloading the demo purley because of it!

I hate to be a bit of a git, but the transition between trees and town is too blured. It could use more contrast and definition of what is what. Still, it's amazing! I wonder what the characters look like!

Corby

splat44

Great Game,

Is the demo allows going to Garden of Peace?

I simply cannot find it.

Corby

splat44

Thank Corby,

I certainly cannot wait for full game.

splat44

Lazy Z

One word: Wow! Excellent job! The graphics are among the best I've seen in an AGS game, and the music is simply magnificent! The story sounds really interesting too. One minor complaint would be that the animation of the heroine is a bit choppy, but seeing that this is a demo, I can't really complain about it yet :). One question though, did you use SIMposium (or whatever it's called) for the sprite of the heroine? The way she moves kinda reminds me of that.

Really looking forward to the finished game!

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogroves and the mome raths outgrabe.'

Top-5 Games

Corby

Thanks! The Hero sprite is just a placeholder. She'll actually have a whole new look in the final game. I animated her by looking at an AGI version of Roger Wilco. It was my first real walk cycle I guess.

Corby

Hello,

Heroine Quest has a new demo.
Try it out here: www.corbydesigns.com/hq/hqintro.zip (12.5 Mb)

Enjoy, and we'd welcome some constructive feedback. :)

aussie

That's the second good-looking demo released this week!

Congrats, I love your art style.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Erenan

This... is... beautiful...

I loved the Quest for Glory series, and this is exactly the sort of thing I've been dying to play. I want the rest of it NOW.

But do take your time so that it's as good as it can be. :)
The Bunker

Iv4n

I've been waiting for the next demo/intro so long, that I can't wait for the "polished" version. So here are some thoughts about it:

First to say - woah! I'm amazed of this intro demo! You've put a lot of work and effort in it. When the game ended, I can't believe it happens. I was just more and more excited, wishing it wasn't a demo.
Ok, you really proved to be much talanted. I like those forest graphics most. I like those portraits and inside the house decoration. I like those transperantcy text effects.
However, some complainings :).
The room to the right of the kitchen - there is no clear indication that the door out is down below. When you climb up the stairs, the heroine keeps the same size.
Then, outside suddenly comes Gandalf! Yeah, LOTR reference? heh. Then, the story turns in the way we've heard a lot of times - the innocent girl, who doesn't kwow anything untill a suddent moment. And then she get the enlightenment that only she can help people blabla ...and have to save the world.
When the father and the old man says to Kiara the current situation (her quest), you've rush through the dialogues. I mean it's a important moment and it should be more dramatic. But these all are small things.
Oh well. Don't listen to me  ;D.

splat44

Hi

It's an excellent demo.

I agree with Iv4n regarding the room to the right of the kitchen comment.

I do recall playing the first demo and gathering some items for wizard's friend.

Questions:
1) Would action from first demo be included in full game?

Once again great work.

Corby

Thanks for the kind words! Yup, the plot is a classic story, hope no one minds.
The full game may/may not have the quest seen in the first demo. The town of Fair Spring will also be completely changed, with a whole new look, and a bit smaller and less confusing.
Glad everyone likes the animations and backgrounds!  :)

Kinoko

ARGH! This game actually looks fantastic! I mean, its one of those particularly rare ones that really has a proper professional game look to it. Im very much looking forward to this.

Youre on my list, man.

Dmatrixone

Thanks everyone for all your kind words!   ;D  I know that it took a lot of effort, patience, and creativity just to make a small demo such as this, so all the kind words really help! 

As for the complaints -- please check out the link to our game forum where you can post complaints, corrections, bugs, and other stuff that we can fix.  This just makes it much easier to work on a polished version (due out in a few weeks I hope).

Any more feedback, good or bad would be much appreciated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk