Destroyer - 13.2.2005 update

Started by , Mon 10/01/2005 11:13:36

Previous topic - Next topic

polski

I'm "new" here, but I've been constantly reading this board for the past year. I just thought I could introduce you the game I've been working on for a year now. The progress has been slow as I have a one-yaer-old daughter and I'm quite occupied with studies as well, but now I feel the game is coming together.

Anyway,

Story:
Your life has been going downhill ever since your wife left you and moved away with your child a couple of months ago. As you go camping alone for a few days to clear your mind something bad happens. The whole mankind seems to have come to an end and almost everyone has simply disappeared. This is where the game starts. You now have to explore your empty hometown and to discover what has happened. The rest is to be found out in the game...

I'm concentrating very much on creating the overall atmosphere in the game as intense as possible. There won't be any humor in the game and neither am I planning on making it too happy.

Screenshots:

Visiting your apartment.

Out on the streets of your hometown.

some current data:
Res: 320x200
Backgrounds: 97%
Scripting: 75%
Story 99%
Puzzles: 90%
Animations: 92%
Sound & music: 50% (I have them ready, but not in the game yet)
Overall progress: 89%

Homepage: http://koti.welho.com/pcatani/destroyer.html

Gilbert

Nice :D Looking forward to it, I like how somebody finally find good use for the roger sprite and really did good edits to it (I was correct, right?), I like the reflection in teh 2nd screenshot too.

Necro

Hey Polski nice work, love the backgrounds and the subtle dithers on them, and the posters and pictures too  8)

Barbarian

Hiya Polski... welcome to AGS.
I like the story idea of your game, and the screenshots looks great.

Looking forwards to seeing your game in action.
Keep us up-to-date on progress from time to time  :)
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

polski

Thanks and yes, Gilbot, that's the roger spriteÃ,  ;D, I've done some modifications in the animation of it too. I'll keep you informed whenever I have made some significant progress. Right now I'm busy with going through all the dialogs - they will definitely need some proof-reading once the game is in beta-testing stage.

Ubel

Wow! The graphics look great! :D I'm sure the game will be great too. (Of course it will. It's from Finland, ehÃ,  ;))

Goldmund

There's a really good look to this screenshots...
And Gilbot is right - the Roger paintover is very convincing.

polski

Thanks a lot for the comments!Ã,  :D

I've done a lot of work on the dialogs and every time I look at the backgrounds I find ways of improving them. I've also managed to solve some scripting problems and development is slowly going forward.

Right now my studies take all my time and what is left I spend with my daughter, but this is just a diffucult phase in studies and should change after month.

Anyways, for character art, backgrounds etc. I now have a page at http://koti.welho.com/pcatani/destroyer.html.

:=

Neil Dnuma

Nice page, and I like the new screens!

ps. It's "Chris" not "Cris" ;)

polski

Thanks and thanks for pointing that out  :-[
The game is still full of that kind of typos.

WarGolem

wow, that sounds so cool. I'm totally into the scenarios of everyone just disappearing. Kinda of like the movie 28 Days Later or Dawn of the Dead, where the cities are just desolate(except they had zombies). Its just intense, can't wait to play it.

Good Luck!

polski

Great to hear that, those scenarios have always fascinated me tooÃ,  :D ...not that I would want it to happen in reality.
I admit that I was inspired by 28 Days Later, but I can reveal that this is not a zombie game. The idea is different. :P

WarGolem

Quote from: polski on Thu 17/02/2005 16:52:19
Great to hear that, those scenarios have always fascinated me too  :D ...not that I would want it to happen in reality.
I admit that I was inspired by 28 Days Later, but I can reveal that this is not a zombie game. The idea is different. :P
Good move. I think its best that you didn't include zombies in this scenario. It'll be a refreshing change.

simulacra

Nice concept! I really like it.

To be frank, I have had recurring dreams in desolate, ruined cities... I have actually used some of that material in my own game, The Zone. http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=15526.0

JayWolf1985

Wow, Polski!  :=

How did you make such detailed graphics?   :o
Ich bin Ein mit dem Wolf...

sergiocornaga

This is looking great. I'll look forward to this one.

MoodyBlues

It's almost done!  *bouncy, bouncy*  Can't wait!
Atapi - A Fantasy Adventure
Now available!: http://www.afwcon.org/

hedgefield

Cool, can't wait to play this game. Looks really good, totally my kind of style, and I saw those additional screenshots on your site. All I can say is :o!

polski

Thanks for the comments! I'm finding more time for the game now again. I put the dialogs to wait for another time and focus on improving the scripting I've made for different interactions and animations.

@JayWolf1985
The backgrounds have all been painted with PainShopPro exept the sky on two backgrounds and the posters which are real WWII, Communist, Church of Satan and Movie posters. Mostly this has been learning process for me as I didn't have much experience in any paint programs before. I'm never happy with theese backgrounds, I'll always find something to improve. ;)

Reptile

Looks nice, you might want to make some small background fixes to make the game look a bit better, overall looks great!  :)
(Signature removed due to violation of image size rules).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk