Background Blitz - Voting Over

Started by loominous, Sun 11/09/2005 17:28:39

Previous topic - Next topic

loominous

Topic:

Mansion Exterior

Anything from a creepy horror movie manor to something from a Jane Austin novel dramatization.

Guidelines:

- The whole mansion does not have to be visable. If you'd like to focus on the main entrance, the yard, porch, outhouse etc it's perfectly fine as long as you get the feeling that it's a mansion exterior.

- A mansion is pretty much defined as a grand house and so they can vary greatly in apperance. Anything from large villas to castle like buildings will do.

Inspiration:

About the deadline

We'll try with a single week's duration but if fewer than three entries have entered by the time of the voting, the deadline will be extended another week.

Restrictions

None. If you like EGA, do it in EGA.

Edit: Whoops, wrong dates
Looking for a writer

ildu

Quite a quick deadline. Should it really be done by tomorrow already? As this has no restrictions, I'd like to use some more time on this.

EDIT: Thanks.

kec

I know there are going to be some cool backgrounds on this competition but still here's my crap:
I like meat.

IM NOT TEH SPAM

My older brother made this.  I told him to make it for me, quick and simple.  He then decided to spend about 3 hours working on a huge picture for me.  I'm posting it on his behalf...

And with you I leave this message:
Bitchin'!
APPARENTLY IM ON A "TROLLING SPREE"

RyRayer

Secret Fawful

Probably no way I can compete with Kipper's entry, it rocks! But here's my DOTT style bg anyway. :P

Misj'

Ok...It's not good enough to be a background. But I rather drew it as being (coloured) concept art; not being able to spending too much time on it.

So here's my small sketch of a (quite small) mansion.

I don't really like the colours (my computer is dying, and even more so is my monitor, so I can't see the colours as the should appear). Shading and perspective are wrong. It's not very detailed. But as I said: it's concept art...that's all I have time for at the moment.Ã, 

320x240

640x480

Scummbuddy

Uhh,.... don't beat yourself up about it. I'm sure someday you'll get some artistic abilities..... okay, yeah, no one is going to crap on your fantastic, and functional background you posted. It's quite simply, beautiful. More!!
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Metamorfo

Hello!!!!
Here's my humble noir-style entry!

Misj'

Quote from: Scummbuddy on Wed 14/09/2005 13:11:31
okay, yeah, no one is going to crap on your fantastic, and functional background you posted.

Somebody ought toÃ,  ;)

InCreator

Quote from: Misj' on Wed 14/09/2005 11:12:50
...Shading and perspective are wrong.

That's most ridiculous thing I've heard for a long time.
You definetly draw in cartoony style.

What makes it cartoony then?

loominous

Quote from: InCreator on Thu 15/09/2005 07:45:53
Quote from: Misj' on Wed 14/09/2005 11:12:50
...Shading and perspective are wrong.

That's most ridiculous thing I've heard for a long time.
You definetly draw in cartoony style.

What makes it cartoony then?

This is a common misconception. Most professional styles adhere to the rules of perspective and light, even wacky ones like DOTT. Following them doesn't mean that you'll end up with ultrarealistic shading and orthogonal boxes, just a convincing look.

What usually contributes to a cartoony look are things such as outlines, simplified (yet correct) shading and distorted shapes (which are still in perspective).

-

Even though six entries is about five more than average in a competition of mine, I'm still hoping that some more will pop in. Keep up the good work.
Looking for a writer

LilBlueSmurf

Well, here is my entry.Ã,  I was gonna spend time on it, then I got to redoing the grass and realized I screwed myself, so I just went ahead and finished it with out worrying bout much. (BTW I did this from childhood memories so I have no idea if it is even close to how the smurfs was really drawn)

Smurf Mansion

InCreator

QuoteThis is a common misconception. Most professional styles adhere to the rules of perspective and light, even wacky ones like DOTT. Following them doesn't mean that you'll end up with ultrarealistic shading and orthogonal boxes, just a convincing look.

That is correct. But objective of my post was encouragement, not science :D

Anyway, here's  my experimental entry...

Eggie

* Eggie gets out a pad and furiously takes notes on MisJ's entry

loominous

A reminder that the voting period started today and will end tomorrow night.
Looking for a writer

Nikolas

RyRayer

Stefano

Could't finish my entry on time. Oh, well.
I love Misj' background... but my vote goes to InCreator too.

Stefano
Trying to make my first AGS game.

ildu

My vote to InCreator. Nice atmosphere and great coloring.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk