BG Blitz - Jan 1-15, 2006 - Winner: Darth Mandarb

Started by Neil Dnuma, Sun 01/01/2006 17:59:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Dnuma

Topic:

HOSPITAL INTERIOR

Guidelines:

Should be pretty easy to interpret. Any type of hospital from any age goes. And any type of room you could find in a hospital. Thanks to books and movies (and TV) hospitals have often been romanticized. If you're familiar with eg. Lars Von Trier's TV series "Riget"/"The Kingdom" you know what I mean (I believe there was an american remake of this, with Stephen King involved - might be crap, I haven'tseen it). Other examples would be found in Kill Bill, The Godfather, ER, etc.

Here's something which may inspire you:

There are no size or palette restrictions - as long as it's AGS-compatible.

Voting: (thanks to Loominous for the system)
Voting will take place on the 16th and 17th of January . Please give one vote in each of the following categories:

* Best Idea - The underlying idea to the background. Doesn't neccesserily have to coincide perfectly with the theme of the week, just strike you as interesting/amusing/inspiring; a place you'd really enjoy visiting within a game.

* Best Design - The style of the picture, architectural, landscape design, best mood, most evocative etc.

* Best Functionality - How well it would work when adding sprites, including appropriate walking distances, good angle for character sprites, clever walkway solutions, easily understood exits etc.

* Best Technique - How well the ideas are executed in form of rendering.

It would be nice if you would give a small explanation while voting, to provide the artists with useful feedback (check out previous votings by eg. Ildu, Rel, Darth, Ginny or Andail for good examples).

Sam.

my slightly twisted entry, I'm still playing around weith getting this style right. Apologies.

EDIT: I updated this so it is how i would want it to appear in a game:

What happened?
Clive McKray had been in this room, with severe psychological issues. He would not listen to anyone else, but demanded everyone listene to him, "he has something the world needs to know". Unfortuneatley, the medical system failed clive, and he was locked in this room, with only his insecurities for company.

One day, the doctors just stopped coming back.

Bye bye thankyou I love you.

mozza

This is my first entry to a bg blitz and it wasdone in MSPaint from scratch. no reference and about 30 mins mouse work. It shows.

gameboy

So here's my entry:

It's just a hallway of a typical hospital.

MarVelo

I'm in just wait for me

EDIT: here we go, A mental hospital.

"Dont mind the patients, they're insane..."

EDIT: (Get it? The morgue is across the hall from shock therapy? :-X)

Arcangel

It is my first room in this competition is a gynecology room. ;D

Akumayo

"Power is not a means - it is an end."

ildu

That's some weird-ass lighting you got there, arcangel. Looks good, though.

Arcangel

THX Ildu, I made with Flash and 3 or 4 hours of work.  :)

Darth Mandarb

It's an American Civil War era Confederate Field Hospital.

I have no more time ... but I want to post it anyway.

I was gonna add an observation tower off in the distance and some more details.  Alas ... time worked against me.

MarVelo

Corey

here's my Hospital of Horror...
just hope 3D bG's are allowed.

don't get too creeped out please  :P
Greatest thrill
Not to kill
But to have the prize of the night
Hypocrite
Wannabe friend
13th disciple who betrayed me for nothing!

ildu

Quote from: Corey on Tue 03/01/2006 08:39:42here's my Hospital of Horror...
just hope 3D bG's are allowed.

Anything that would work with AGS is allowed. So yes, it is allowed.

And darth, that looks amazing and it's very imaginitive.

Corey

yup he makes a good change in Best idea and best design  :D
Greatest thrill
Not to kill
But to have the prize of the night
Hypocrite
Wannabe friend
13th disciple who betrayed me for nothing!

voh

I'm working on one, but I'm not entirely sure how it'll end up. It will be my first real pixel background ever, and I seem to be less good than my mind's eye is in making these things up :)
Still here.

Rincewind

Yikes, feels like it was ages since I participated here now.
A really crappy entry with bad perspective and wierd-ass shading, but it's also my first background for a very, very long time...
Just felt the need to whip something up. :)

Great entries so far, though! :)

RocketGirl

Well, here's mine:

Don't mind the compression artifacting; it's like that for file size. The actual BG is much cleaner.

And, yes, I've put this into AGS and built it as a normal room; works great!
May the Force be with you

Arcangel

What program you do that, RocketGirl ?

RocketGirl

Quote from: Arcangel on Thu 05/01/2006 23:01:15
What program you do that, RocketGirl ?

3D Studio MAX 3.1. Antiquated, I know, but my copy is legal and I'm too broke to upgrade.
May the Force be with you

cpage

The morgue downstairs of the hospital

Edited by mod: Seems that the img tag works only if you put width before height, also you don't need the quotes when specifying size of an image.

Edited by me: Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk