April MAGS

Started by Klaus, Sat 01/04/2006 00:49:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the ruleset of last month's winner Peder we're going popular again:

Topic: Fantasy World

The whole story has to happen in a fantasy world.
In other words: There can be talking animals, floating things (like houses, tables, ...), wierd skies and landscapes etc. Use your fantasy!

A few restrictions:
- There MUST be a wizard as non-playable character in the game.
- There SHOULD be an old magic book in the game as an inventory item (for example, the wizard has lost his magic book and you have to search for it).
- There HAS TO be a blue cup somewhere! Don't have to be possible to pick it up. Since it is supposed to be fantasy it can be a talking one as well.

That's all, no further restrictions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All entries should be in by April 25th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Peder 🚀

As the creater of the rules I just want to wish everyone good luck!
And I hope many of you makes an entry! ;D.

nihilyst

Great topic, but my dumb self has a question:

If I, for example, had the idea to make a game, that's set in an environment, that would contain cars and other modern stuff as well as magical mystery kind of stuff (a bit like in the later "Thief"s), would that fit in your understandig of the definition of "fantasy world"? Just to make sure I can do it, since I have an idea floating in my mind.

Oh, and congratulations to your game, Peder. I really liked it!

cheers
nihilyst

Peder 🚀

Quote from: nihilyst on Sat 01/04/2006 01:44:29
Great topic, but my dumb self has a question:

If I, for example, had the idea to make a game, that's set in an environment, that would contain cars and other modern stuff as well as magical mystery kind of stuff (a bit like in the later "Thief"s), would that fit in your understandig of the definition of "fantasy world"? Just to make sure I can do it, since I have an idea floating in my mind.

Oh, and congratulations to your game, Peder. I really liked it!

cheers
nihilyst

Fantasy is ALOT.
What I see as a fantasy world is that there is things you see that you wont see in real life.
I pretty sure it will fit :).
Just remember the restrictions! and I sure it will go fine! ;)

Good luck of you enter ;)

And thanks ;D

Redwall

Does the emphasis on "MUST" and "SHOULD" imply that the magic book is not neccessarily a requirement?
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

Radiant

Quote from: Klaus on Sat 01/04/2006 00:49:59
- There HAS TO be a blue cup somewhere! Don't have to be possible to pick it up. Since it is supposed to be fantasy it can be a talking one as well.

Go Cuppit! Go Cuppit!

Peder 🚀

Quote from: Redwall on Sat 01/04/2006 04:54:15
Does the emphasis on "MUST" and "SHOULD" imply that the magic book is not neccessarily a requirement?

The Magic book is NOT a MUST! :). so yes, it is not really a requirement.

Mordalles

non-adventure games are okay, right? if so, i might enter, but thats a big "if".

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Peder 🚀

Quote from: Mordalles on Sat 01/04/2006 20:14:44
non-adventure games are okay, right? if so, i might enter, but thats a big "if".

yeah, if you wants to make a shooting game where you shoot wizards, standing on a flying car with cows singing next to you, to save "The Blue Cup" thats ok...... :P

Krysis

I shall do my best to enter this one but I can't promise anything... Let's hope I have the time to do something complete for a change.

A�rendyll (formerly Yurina)

Quote from: Peder Johnsen on Sat 01/04/2006 20:29:50
if you wants to make a shooting game where you shoot wizards, standing on a flying car with cows singing next to you, to save "The Blue Cup" thats ok...... :P

Why can't I think of sich a brilliant idea... >.<

This time I also want to enter, but I MUST (must again, yes) get some assignments done, or I can't do my exams this year (2 subjects, I want to get rid of them. It's complicated).
Yuna: Give me a Y!
Rikku: Give me an R!
Paine: Give me a break...
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

Peder 🚀

I decided myself to do a small entry just for fun and practice :P.
I got no time to make a big game nor medium game, so it will be a small simple game, but I hope it will be fun!

Anyway, as far as I can remember, I am aloud to enter right?
Pretty sure I remember Abisso telling me this when I PMed him my idea to ask if it fit his rules...

Anyway, I not going for the win now :P.
But for the knownledge! ;D

Though, winning is fun, and motivating!

Klaus

Quote from: Peder Johnsen on Sun 02/04/2006 23:31:11
Anyway, as far as I can remember, I am aloud to enter right?
Yes, that's correct.

buloght

hi, i am fully into this MAGS with my game. So hopefully it'll be done before that deadline, though it's gonna be hard. It's a non-adventure so hope people don't mind it haha :)

Nice topic, peder, and congratulations on your win.

EDIT: Is it fine if someone else other than me does the music? I have zero music skills and I have someone who is gonna help me (another AGS member), someone skilled in the art :)

EDIT: Also on that note: Can I have people beta-test and proofread the game before i submit it?

Mordalles

i decided to do an adventure, and its coming along nicely, but i dont think ill make it in time. but gonna try me hardest. i see I'm up against two previous mags winners already (peder and buloght)Ã,  :'(.

Afflict

LoL

Are you guys sure you want us to use our fantasies... ;)

Anyway just kidding this should provide some interesting entries.

And Mordalles has my vote BTW...  ;D

Goodluck to all afraid my plate is too full to um take on this challenge.

Peder 🚀

Quote from: Mordalles on Mon 10/04/2006 20:32:53
i see I'm up against two previous mags winners already (peder and buloght)Ã,  :'(.

haha, you shouldent worry!
Not about me winning at least.
I pretty sure I wont! :P......

but who knows  :-\

nihilyst

I'll have a hard start, when I have to compete with Mordalles, buloght and Peder. But I'll try my very best.

Klaus

Quote from: buloght on Mon 10/04/2006 20:21:32
Is it fine if someone else other than me does the music? I have zero music skills and I have someone who is gonna help me (another AGS member), someone skilled in the art :)
Well, not really "fine" but allowed. You know it's nicer to see an entry completely done by one person. But if you ask someone else to do this please keep in mind not to "double" the time for development. (Two persons can do much more than one and it must be compareable with entries developed by one game creator).

Quote from: buloght on Mon 10/04/2006 20:21:32
Can I have people beta-test and proofread the game before i submit it?
Sure, this is no problem at all...

Mordalles

scorposer is doing music for me. just so that you guys know. im finishing the game, even if you are disqualifying me.

if he didnt do the music, i would just go and steal music on the net, where a lot of the previous mags winners (cedric and the revolution, the family treasure) have done the same.  8) they didnt do the music themselves, did they?  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk