AGS in the media

Started by Pumaman, Sat 03/12/2005 13:29:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

The recent Hyper Magazine thread reminded me that we never did get round to creating a thread as a kind of "archive" of when AGS or AGS Games have featured in the media.

Therefore, I have created this thread for just that purpose. I've copied these from a post by Felipe last year, if there's anything I've missed feel free to post a reply.

- PC Zone (UK): AGA's letter about Amateur GamesÃ,  (2002)

- Hyper Magazine (Australia) - Auhsor's letter about amateur adventures (October 2002)
Scan:
Link to scan

- PC Gamer (UK): Pleurghburg Review (July 2003?)
Scan: Review

- PC Gamer: Going Deeper Underground - by Matthew Frith (July 2003)

- Pelit-magazine (Finland) Article on amateur game creation (August 2003)
Scan of page

- PC Plus (UK): A 4-part tutorial about AGS (#207-210, Oct 2003 - Jan 2004)
PDFs:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

- GameMaker (UK): 4-page tutorial about AGS (October 2003)
(The scans can be found here: link)

- PC Mundo Especial (Brazil) - Criação de Games: Forum thread (Year 1, #9 - 2004)
Scans:
AGS DescriptionÃ, 
AGS Instalation

- EDGE magazine (UK) Article on adventure games including sidebar on AGS (December 2004)
Forum thread

- NBC Europe (Germany) - Giga Games
Forum thread (April 2005)
Video clip:
AVI of show

- Hyper Magazine (Australia)
Forum thread (November 2005)
Scans:
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4

- PC Gamer (UK) Full page on AGS Games (February 2006)
Scan of page

- Pelaajan Niksi-Kirja (Finland) Book with chapter about AGS & AGS games
Photos
Front cover
Chapter on AGS
Fatman gets a mention

auhsor

Also from Hyper, Issue #108 October 2002
Won myslef a wheel from it which I havn't really used :=

Phemar

Gilbert

I did that already, before you even posted that. ;)

strazer

Pet Terry

I went for Christmas shopping with my parents and grandma. As my birthday is approaching, my grandma wanted me to find myself a present so that she could buy it to me. I stumbled upon a bookshelf and noticed this:

Player's hintbook

The last line captured my attention, Write and create your own games, so I thought "Heh, maybe AGS is mentioned in there.

I also noticed the name of the author.

Simon Carless... doesn't ring any bells.

So anyways, I looked at the table of contents and...

Editing tips for Adventure Game Studio

Zing zing! A whole chapter about AGS?! Well, almost.

How to make your own graphic adventure classics. blah de blah de blah I didn't read it all in the store, k

Wow, that's cool! So I turned the page and...

Excellent and, now free, Adventures of Fatman.

Other games mentioned were 5 Days a Stranger, Pleurghburg: Dark Ages (\,,/) and Apprentice. Rock on!

I think the other customers looked at me a bit weird, what with me taking photos of a book... so I put the book back in the shelf and chose a couple of movies I'm now getting for my birthday!!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Pumaman

Hehe that's pretty cool, good to see Fatman getting a mention :)

Ionias

Wow. That's pretty cool.

Ubel

Hey, I was going to buy that book one day. Didn't buy though, all my money went for my school books.

I had no idea that AGS was mentioned in it too. That's pretty darn cool. :)

Ubel

Pelit-magazine, August 2003. This is where I found about AGS in the first place.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/paapeli/Scan10010.JPG

Dr Lecter

AGS got more than just a mention in this issue of PC Gamer. A whole page spread mentioning the community and various games. I'll just scan it and host it somewhere. I tried scanning it in but it doesn't work, so if any of you have seen it, its quite nice.

MrColossal

I think that's the issue that my games are in!

the disc editor sent me an email asking if he could use 6da but I convinced him to also add Automation, Woo!
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Dr Lecter

Ah, I didn't see this thread, doh

m0ds

Awesome! Great to see AGS games and the engine are being continually well documented :D

Dr Lecter

Here's a list of AGS related stuff the DVD:

AGS 2.7
5 Days of Stranger
6 Days an Assassin
7 Days a Skeptic
Apprentice
Automation
Bestowers of Eternity
Satan Quest
Two of a Kind

MrColossal

hehe is it listed as 6 Days an Assassin or 6 Days Assassin?

He was going to send me a copy but I guess he forgot!
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

LimpingFish

Here is the PC Gamer page!  :D

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Ionias

Sweet. I gotta get a copy, if it's not to late.

Etcher Squared Games

email: etcher2games@yahoo.com
forum: http://www.etcher2games.com/forums

Anyone want to make my website for free?

Phemar

Hmmm, Bequeathers of Eternity? ;)

Pet Terry

Quote from: Worm III on Sat 28/01/2006 05:34:38
And there was this thread I posted about AGS

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=21639.0

That seems to be the same book I posted about some time ago in this thread. The Finnish translation has a different cover, though.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

rodekill

Well, that's pretty cool, even though they spelled my name wrong.
Guess I should finish starting Earwig 2.
:=

edit: Damn, it's not in the North American version, which I expected, but am sad about anyways.
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

LimpingFish

Weird how the put them under "Shareware" tho.  :-\

edmundito

Quote from: rodekill on Sat 28/01/2006 15:52:27
Well, that's pretty cool, even though they spelled my name wrong.
Guess I should finish starting Earwig 2.
:=

edit: Damn, it's not in the North American version, which I expected, but am sad about anyways.

You can buy the imported UK version ;)
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Layabout

Interesting to see how much mention the community does get. It's good publicity, but it does bring in some random people.
I am Jean-Pierre.

BOYD1981

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sun 29/01/2006 21:21:24
Weird how the put them under "Shareware" tho.Ã,  :-\

they seem to put everything under shareware. guess they can't be bothered to add a freeware section to the coverdisc menu...

also, Rode, it would be awesome if you made Earwig 2 :D

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

m0ds

Saw Shawnos piece in PC Gamer today! I was just flicking through and found it which was a nice surprise. And they quoted you tooo, Rodey! Excellent :D

Why the hell they call it Bequeathers though?

What is it with rubbish annotation of things I presume are discussed over email? You wouldn't see them call Halo Holo or Tomb Raider Womb Raider.... I just thought bequeathers was another word for bestowers, or the publisher/writer was a bit dumb.

Anarcho

Can you post the artile mods?  I guess that would be the UK PC Gamer?

m0ds

Anarcho - I'm talking about the same article as on page one of this thread :)

http://www.americangirlscouts.org/agsuploads/files/PCGamerAGS.jpg

Haddas

http://www.mbnet.fi/jutut/paivanpeli/?from=etusivu

Game of the day on MBnet. They make the magazine Mikrobitti.

MrColossal

Vince Twelve

This may not be significant enough to mention, but I was reading the IGN review of Scratches when I saw this:

"Closing Comments

Mediocrity is hard to choke down, especially in the gaming industry. All told, Scratches is a good game for what it is, but let?s not kid ourselves here: it still suffers from the limitations of the strict point and click adventure genre. At best, it?s an above-average interactive book though in the grand scheme of gaming, it is fairly average next to games such as Grand Theft Auto, Half-Life 2, God of War, et al.

This is not an easy game. Even with hints enabled, first-time adventure gamers won?t know what they?re doing and will quickly become frustrated. If you?ve never looked at adventure games before and can stomach 1987-caliber graphics, head to Google and find the Rob Blanc or Larry Vales series. They?re free, and a heck of a lot easier to deal with than this one. If you don?t like adventure games at all, don?t even bother.

However, if you?re an adventure gaming veteran, especially if you like the horror / creepy / gothic-type atmosphere, then Scratches is for you. It's a solid game although a bit on the short side as you may be able to get through it in less than a day. At the end, there are certainly a lot worse ways to spend the standard bargain price of $20. This is a pretty decent-good entry in the adventure genre thanks to some good presentation and interesting puzzles."

I don't know why either of those two would be a decent substitute for the first-person gothic horror of Scratches, but I guess to most people, an adventure is an adventure.

edmundito

Yes, rob blanc and larry vales were made in 1987. This is actually the 8th generation of AGSers. Some time travel is involved.

Helm

1987-caliber, edmundo. he's saying they LOOK like games from 1987. And he's mostly right.
WINTERKILL

edmundito

D'oh!

He could have been more clear, I guess. ¬¬

Ionias

Quote from: Helm on Tue 07/03/2006 06:57:42
1987-caliber, edmundo. he's saying they LOOK like games from 1987. And he's mostly right.

I remember when I first played Rob Blanc, and I thought to myself ... Wow, I dunno if I could ever draw that good but I'll try. Bit off subject I suppose. I couldn't help but share one of my first AGS memories.

Akatosh

Congratulations to the authors of Duty and Beyond and Spooks! Your games appear on the DVD XL of March's 'GameStar' issue, a - quite decent and professional, IMHO - german games-related magazine.

Screenies

MrColossal

I also see Darkside Adventure in the list, made by Bernie though not an AGS games and Force Majeure, is that part one of Force Majeure 2: The Zone?

Hooray for everyone!

Akatosh

Nope, Force Majeure is some kind of side-scroller.

Also, in an interesting but probably unrelated fact, the magazine kept mentioning this website. You'll probably want to go there, you'll be positively surprised by the Navigation Bar at the top of the page...

/EDIT: Oh, and I think you're meaning a different game, not "A Game with A Kitty 2: Darkside Adventures", are you?

MrColossal

I guess I'm just wrong all around!

Hooray everyone anyway!

LimpingFish

Yes, I found that indygamer blog too. They feature a lot of AGS stuff.

As for magazine mentions:

This months PC Gamer features...

5 Days...
6 Day Assassin
7 Days...
Apprentice
Automation
Bestowers of Eternity
Earwig is Angry
Satan Quest
Two of a Kind

DVD coverdisc screen below...

Huzzah!

MrColossal

LimpingFish

Oh, sorry, I should have said.

It's the current UK issue....this one --->

Vince Twelve

LimpingFish, Boyd told me that Linus Bruckman had a small writeup in the January issue of the UK PC Gamer.  Would you, or anyone else here possibly have the issue and a scanner?

LimpingFish

Quote from: Vince Twelve on Sat 03/03/2007 10:48:47
LimpingFish, Boyd told me that Linus Bruckman had a small writeup in the January issue of the UK PC Gamer.  Would you, or anyone else here possibly have the issue and a scanner?

It did, and I did have that issue, but I have an incredibly small house, so old issues go in the trash. Sorry.  :(

EDIT: Hold the phone! I forgot that this month's recyclable trash collection is still pending! With a little luck...

EDIT: Man, it's really raining! But...SUCCESS! Scanning now...

EDIT: Yay!

(Click here for full size)

BOYD1981

PC Gamer really seem to give ridiculously high system requirement information with AGS games...

01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Akatosh

Linus Bruckmann has ridiculously high system requirements, that's all.

InCreator

I guess it's quite cool. But aren't those games sold? I mean, you pay for the magazine, right? And get a DVD, which is included in the price?

Akatosh

They often put Freeware on their CD/DVD... I guess it's mainly as a 'space-filler', or one of them is one of us (a member of the AGS community)... anyway, I guess all of us include a link to the AGS website in their games, so this will at least help AGS getting even more popular.

The Ivy

Wow, that's pretty cool! Thanks for pointing this out, Akatosh. Spooks seems to be enjoying considerable fame in German and Czech gaming circles. I have no idea why this is, but hey, I'll take it. :)

Akatosh

I guess because it's simply, well, funny. Even for Germans, and you know what they say about German humor (lies). Congratulations, anyway.

BOYD1981

Quote from: Akatosh on Sun 04/03/2007 10:33:20
Linus Bruckmann has ridiculously high system requirements, that's all.

well no, i've read more issues of PC Gamer with other AGS games in and they always put high system specs, they put 1.5GHz for The Shivah too.

blender81

FYI....

The February issue of PC Zone included Ben Jordan Case 5 and my own Pilot Light in the Freeware section of their magazine. Check it out!

http://blended.planethalflife.gamespy.com/work/pczone_ags.jpg

AGA

Ah, good good. I read this myself, but didn't have access to a scanner. Thanks.

MrColossal

Hooray, I loved Pilot Light, I also quite love your hl mods and I believe you should make more games...

That is an order.

m0ds

Akatosh

So *this* is where the thread went. I was starting to wonder... ah, anyway. Fits better here.

The Ivy

Quote from: Akatosh on Sun 04/03/2007 16:31:43
I guess because it's simply, well, funny. Even for Germans, and you know what they say about German humor (lies). Congratulations, anyway.

Oh, you.Ã, :D Thanks very much.

Akatosh

I don't know if it counts, but AGS is mentioned in the Game Programming wiki (http://www.gpwiki.org/index.php/Tools:Programming), under Game Authoring Tools.

LimpingFish

PC Gamer (UK) latest issue:

AGS Awards!

The Shivah!

Fortune and glory, etc, etc.

SSH

I didn't know Snarky wrote Trilby's Notes!

GarageGothic

I love how PC Zone's reviewer of The Shivah (linked on the Wadjet Eye site) writes: "I won't spoil the plot by saying any more", yet the review features a screenshot of:

Spoiler
Rabbi Zelig holding a gun.
[close]

I myself turned in a review of The Shivah today to the Danish newspaper Politiken, by the way (as a supplement to an article on Manifesto Games where Dave is also quoted). I'll post a link when it's been published.

m0ds

Sweet! Love the ags award segment!! I love how strangely incorrect it is too. Looks like someone didn't do the research properly on AdventureGamers.com :p But alas Dave, you got REVIEWED! An "intriguing(sp)" score but moreso a nice bit of mass exposure across the UK. Congrats :)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Whoever is submitting these games to these magazines, submit a few of mine and I'll slip you a fiver!  Or at least my gratitude.  ;)

LimpingFish

I presume whoever is in charge of these things uses various genre websites, or sites such as Abandonia Reloaded, to source games for their coverdiscs.

Maybe we should start an AGS Public Relations Department to pimp our wares and ensure correct creator credits and such. :=

Ashen

The Onion AV Club reviewed 'The Shivah'. Does that count as 'in the media'?
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

m0ds

Quote6 Days A Sacrifice, I am reliably informed, has been favourably reviewed in issue 201 of British 'serious' computing journal PC Format.

Anyone got a copy of issue 201? :)

LimpingFish

I have some stuff to scan and will do so in a bit. These include (I think):

The Six Days thing m0ds is looking for, plus a PC Gamer review of same.
Two Blackwell reviews (one a tad harsh).
Two reviews of Gesundheit! (both positive).

...and possibly something else. I could be wrong. I'll have to go look down the pit.

EDIT: Okay, scanned and uploaded. You can find them on AGScene...here!

vertigoaddict

wow, if one of my games ever get mentioned in a public magazine, I'd get so excited! I'd scream at the top of my lungs till my dad would beat me up with something hard (and possibly metal) just to shut me up...AND FAIL!

...you get the idea...OwO

edmundito

Two AGS games (Gesundheit and Trilby: The Art of Theft) mentioned in this article:

The Best Indie Games You (n)Ever played:
http://www.thinkdigit.com/details.php?article_id=2499

edmundito

AGS is mentioned (and screenshoted!) in this article comparing making games with tool such as AGS to taking home made pictures with your digital camera:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3784/persuasive_games_video_game_.php

It makes a pretty interesting argument:

"A focus on formal constraints like character statistics or genre distinctions like moving from screen to screen makes sense from a tool developer's perspective: different sorts of games require different kinds of programmatic infrastructures.

But from the lay creator's perspective, genre is a less useful starting point than topic. "I want to make a game about my cat" is a different sentiment than "I want to make a graphical adventure game." Photography doesn't make such a distinction; a camera can just as easily take a landscape as a portrait."

He kind of mentions that there should be more game tools for creating game "snapshots" of any kind, kind of what most people use their photo cameras at home. Though, I can recall that SSH made the Princess Marian Games as gifts; this is exactly what he's talking about. :)

fred

I just noticed this page with mention and an embedded TV spot reviewing AGS

Troldspejlet

It's from a Danish TV program called 'Troldspejlet' which has been reviewing cartoons, video games and anything else fantasy/sci-fi/cult since 1989 - it's quite popular.

The review explains briefly about AGS, showing a game (Apprentice II) and the engine itself, explaining it's primarily for the 'determined' amateur developers, since it has a learning curve and many advanced features. It's a very positive review though, urging people to try some AGS games  :=

GarageGothic

Awesome, I love Troldspejlet but haven't watched it the last three years since I no longer have a TV. I met Jacob Stegelmann (the host of the show) once at a press screening of "V for Vendetta" and went into total fanboy mode, telling him I'd been watching the program since I was a kid - which apparently made him feel very old :)

Alarconte

Nanobots and AGS awards in one of the first spanish games magazine, Micromania

(I was on holydays of our spanish "Holy week" xD and I buyed the magazine (I buy it from time to time) and I enjoyed that was Nanobots in it!)
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

buddyanwanda

zabnat

In Finlands biggest magazine for new technology and computers, MikroBitti, there was a whole spread just for cheap and free adventure games. Featured on the free page there was three AGS games (out of four). Ben There, Dan That!, Ben Jordan: Case 7 - The Cardinal Sins and Duty and Beyond.

LimpingFish

Boing Boing has an post on indie adventures that mentions Ben There Dan that, The Shivah, and Puzzlebots/Nanobots:

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/10/20/click-track-a-guide.html

m0ds

I was looking in the shop today cos I'm supposed to be in a mag soon (non computer) and ended up flicking through PC Format as they seem to have (finally) stopped putting plastic wrapping around it.

Nothing there, but PC Plus has at the top of the cover; "Make your own Monkey Island!" which I knew instantly would be yet enother AGS tutorial. There are in fact 3 pages of pretty concise notes on how to make a game and it goes into depth with the scripting.

They've also bigged up RON and suggested people try making their own RON game. Also a link to the forums, the Wiki and it looks like they've used some art from Ben There, Dan That (a parrot saying BWARK! ??).

So AGS is definitely still out there :) No mention of games though, at least, not that I saw, but I really did just skim-read, as thankfully I already know how to use it ;)

thecatamites

My game Paul Moose In Space World was on the freeware disk of 'PC Zone' magazine and they did a quick review.

Also AGS was brought up in an interview with one of the dudes from Telltale Games and they did a thing on Ben There, Dan That. I can scan them too if anyone wants.
Games 4 Schools Dot Com play games made for schools and teens to lkearn

Crimson Wizard

Downfall review in russian magazine "Strana Igr" ("Game Land"):

http://www.gameland.ru/reviews/45714/
It was in July, but I found this only now by reference from other place.

Don't expect me to translate it though ;)

Crimson Wizard

The Blackwell Convergence in the same magazine "Strana Igr":
http://www.gameland.ru/pc/the-blackwell-convergence/reviews/46498/

circa September 2009

m0ds

PC Gamer, I think, or maybe Format, has a top 30 free games or something in their latest issue, any from AGS?

auriond

I bought PC Gamer in a rare fit of magazine-buying when I was in London. Disappointingly the 30 free games were heavily skewed in favour of action games. No AGS in a quick flip of the pages either.

LimpingFish

I have a stack of print reviews and features from various magazines that featured AGS related stuff over the previous year.

I really have to get around to adding them to the either my much neglected AGScene blog, or just posting them here.

They'll arrive...sometime! \o/

Igor Hardy

This one I thought is really neat: Guardian.co.uk mentions AGS among the recommended tools for creating indie games.

Also, the likes of Death Wore Endless Feathers, Mr. Danger's Contest and AeroNuts received very positive descriptions at the IndieGames blog courtesy of some rather brilliant writer.

xenogia

That Guardian article is pretty great actually, was definitely a great read.

simulacra

I'm happy to annouce that Force Majeure II: The Zone has been included in the permanent collection of the upcoming Swedish computer museum. They have an exhibition on computer game culture and art history touring currently where the game is included.

Datamuseét
http://www.itceum.se/

Blog post + pixx of the exhibit when it was in Stockholm at the Museum of Technology in 2007
http://interactingarts.org/blogs/index.php?title=ga_pa_museum&more=1&c=1b=1&pb=1

Also
http://www.tekniskamuseet.se/1/393.html

;)

TheJBurger

The May 2010 Issue of Game Developer magazine has a 1 page write up on Boryokudan Rue.

Courtesy of Edmundo: http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/6773/brgamedeveloperarticle.jpg

Igor Hardy

A detailed 3-part write-up about all the April 2010 MAGS games has appeared at Slowdown.vg:

MAGS April: Part I
MAGS April: Part II
MAGS April: Part III

LimpingFish

Quote from: Ascovel on Sun 16/05/2010 21:17:28
A detailed 3-part write-up about all the April 2010 MAGS games has appeared at Slowdown.vg:

Enjoyable read, with some valid points.

Thanks for sharing. :)

tzachs

Very enjoyable indeed, I like to read those highly detailed reviews, I especially liked how the reviewer quoted pretty much all of us...

Dualnames

Great article! Great find as well Igor!

Second, for the very first time in five years, the compo saw no entries at all in March; in fact, this was the first-ever MAGS to not have an entry ever since the activity officially got its start in the June of 2001.2 April â€" the month that I have chosen to dissect here â€" was luckily vastly more successful, and as such raised my interest in addition to its prolific participants. What better moment to discuss the competition than to find it revitalized!

Glad to see someone feels it's actually getting revitalized! Also 9 minutes till winner is revealed.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Dualnames on Sun 16/05/2010 23:52:12Also 9 minutes till winner is revealed.

What? I thought there is an entire additional day of waiting!

Dualnames

Quote from: Ascovel on Mon 17/05/2010 00:10:59
Quote from: Dualnames on Sun 16/05/2010 23:52:12Also 9 minutes till winner is revealed.

What? I thought there is an entire additional day of waiting!

eh..no?  :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SpacePirateCaine

Hey folks, long time no see. Haven't really had time or energy to participate around here much recently, but saw this today while checking for industry news, and thought I'd share - you may need an account at Gamasutra to read:

Best Of Indie Games: Here Comes a New Challenger (Gamasutra)

Game Pick: 'Eternally Us' (Ben Chandler and Steven Poulton, freeware)
"Eternally Us is a short adventure game that tells the story of Fio and Amber, two friends who have known each other since childhood. An incident occurs that separates the both of them while they were feeding birds in a park, so it is up to the player to help reunite the best buddies together again."

The featured screenshot was immediately recognizable. Here's to AGSers making big waves!

Links to IndieGames Blog.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Calin Leafshade

Calin Leafshade

Quote from: Pumaman on Sat 03/12/2005 13:29:58
The recent Hyper Magazine thread reminded me that we never did get round to creating a thread as a kind of "archive" of when AGS or AGS Games have featured in the media.

Therefore, I have created this thread for just that purpose.

Scarab

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Mon 17/05/2010 09:49:45

Settle down Cal, I was just messing with ya :P

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Mon 17/05/2010 07:24:47
There were alot of reviews for Eternally Us mainly because it was picked up by indiegames and JayIsGames but I think my favourite mention is this one.

http://www.ifc.com/news/2010/05/shank.php?page=2

I'm not sure why I like this more than the in depth reviews.

other reviews include:

http://indiereview.tk/index.cgi/reviews/Eternally-Us-Review.html

http://jayisgames.com/archives/2010/05/weekend_download_134.php

http://captaind-pc-gaming.blogspot.com/2010/05/eternally-us-mini-review.html

http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2010/05/freeware_game_pick_eternally_u.html

You should check the links I provided on the previous page to find another lengthy one.

Dualnames

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Mon 17/05/2010 09:49:45

Ohh, Scarab is gonna get sooo punished.

ddq

Frankly, I took the pimp hat to mean less "look at me, pimpin' all the nice things people say about me, read ''em and weep" and more "daaayyum, look at Calin getting all the sweet props, he's a maaaad playa!"

That is, I found it to be a compliment.

Igor Hardy

In other news Slightly-Deranged picked Snakes of Avalon for their Game of The Week.

And they not only praise that specific brilliant game devised by group of geniuses who upon their birth were chosen by gods to make great games, but also write their general appreciation for the AGS community, its members, and their will to experiment with gameplay.

Igor Hardy

http://www.oyungezer.com.tr/oyungezer-ekim-2010/

I have no idea what language this gaming magazine is in, or what's it title (can anyone enlighten me?), but it seems they have put The Journey Down and Snakes of Avalon on their latest DVD.

Anian

Quote from: Ascovel on Fri 12/11/2010 21:35:07
http://www.oyungezer.com.tr/oyungezer-ekim-2010/

I have no idea what language this gaming magazine is in, or what's it title (can anyone enlighten me?), but it seems they have put The Journey Down and Snakes of Avalon on their latest DVD.
That's turkish (Google translation can auto detect  ;D though it doesn't translate it that well)
TRANSLATED PAGE LINK
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Igor Hardy

Thanks, anian. The title still remains a mystery, but oh well.

Anian

Oh, well you should have asked. It's the Game informer...obviously turkish edition (I think it's 2 words - Oyun gezer, which basically means game informer). I only know, cause they released the first (or one of the first) images for Arkham city.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Igor Hardy

I found this cool Czech website devoted to freeware games: http://www.freegamearchive.com/rub.php?idr=6&st=0

They are actively reviewing a lot of recent AGS games, e.g. Aidas Strange Christmas, Warning: Fragile!, The Journey Down, rein, Johnny The Toublemaker, Death, Hard Space, Johnny Rockett...

Also, Pc Gamer UK seems to feature a new AGS game on its Cover DisK in almost every issue now :)

m0ds

FoY demo featured on the front of PC Gamer.com (Jan 2011)

m0ds

Technobabylon II features as one of "December 2010 best free games" at PC Gamer.com

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/06/decembers-best-free-pc-games/

Dualnames

BTW, that Cirius dude that comments around PC Gamer, is by far the biggest douchebag/whatever have you, the internet has ever seen.

Igor Hardy

AGS games roam the Top 10 Freeware Adventure Games of 2010 on IndieGames.com!

By The Numbers
Eternally Us
The Journey Down
Snakes of Avalon

http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2011/01/feature_top_freeware_adventure.html

LRH

Wow! :O

Way to go guys! :D

Sslaxx

Quote from: Mods on Thu 06/01/2011 19:37:16
Technobabylon II features as one of "December 2010 best free games" at PC Gamer.com

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/06/decembers-best-free-pc-games/
Two mentions inside of two months, that's pretty good going!
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

m0ds

A little bit off - topic but I was briefly in a Curry's digital store yesterday and couldn't believe how many adventure games (and hidden object mystery games) were on their shelves. They must have made up more than half the computer games they were selling. It was quite a nostalgic feeling :)

I'm still hoping for the day an AGS game is on a shelf in a major retailer in the UK. After a dismal period it seems now is a great time to get a point and click on the shelves. The closest I've seen is Gilbert Goodmate (though not AGS) but that seems to be the only independent adventure I've seen on a shelf, and that was 8 years ago.

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Mods on Tue 18/01/2011 16:15:22
After a dismal period it seems now is a great time to get a point and click on the shelves. The closest I've seen is Gilbert Goodmate (though not AGS) but that seems to be the only independent adventure I've seen on a shelf, and that was 8 years ago.

It's not so bad with indies in retail - the recent Machinarium and Jolly Rover almost instantly got themselves retail versions. Darkfall and Barrow Hill seem quite successful in retail too (probably in UK in particular). Then there's Scratches, Darkstar is supposedly coming soon, and perhaps some important title I forgot.

m0ds

Nice one Ascovel, but wouldn't it be great to finally see an AGS game there too? :)

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Mods on Wed 19/01/2011 00:30:17
Nice one Ascovel, but wouldn't it be great to finally see an AGS game there too? :)

Yeah, or even have the AGS games dominate the adventure game category in shops.

So far there was only Downfall's release in Russia.

Igor Hardy

New interview with The Ivy on gamesauce: http://gamesauce.org/news/2011/01/27/game-designer-erin-robinson-on-free-games-and-indie-life/

It's called "Game Designer Erin Robinson on Free Games and Indie Life".

Haddas

Not directly in the media per se, but Dave Gilberts game The Shivah is getting LPed at the moment and getting some great reviews by the readers. Hopefully a couple sales as well!

A Tale of a Rabbi and $10,000: Let's play The Shivah!

m0ds

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/01/08/this-weeks-best-free-pc-games-30/

Ah Jan 8th, birthday edition! My game gets a negative review! LOL :) And Ron: Night and Day is also picked, well done HandsFree!

Allgood :)

Ghost

Quote from: m0ds on Fri 13/01/2012 14:08:17
My game gets a negative review! LOL :)

Then again, they DO mention Skyrim and your game in the same sentence. That MUST count for something, right? And don't fret, I played your game and enjoyed it despite some rough edges.

Igor Hardy

'Punk’s Not Dead' :

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/03/punks-not-dead-an-introduction/

This article mentions Adventure Game Studio as one of the primary tools of choice for making those disgusting punk games.

AGS is recommended alongside Game Maker and RPGMaker - apparently that's the kind the most despised by coders - so I'm not sure if its inclusion is flattering or insulting.

Snakes of Avalon and my interview with thecatamites are referenced, so I might be in part at fault here.

Sughly

It's not much but hot damn, it's my first mention in a magazine with pages and everything so I'm pretty chuffed ;D

It's from an Australian mag called Hyper, in an article about local devs. Apparently I'm 'one to look out for in 2012' 8)

(deleted)

(deleted)

m0ds

Yeah I'm also pretty sure night of the testicle is an excellent new adventure  := But thanks for sharing hof! Nice article.

DoorKnobHandle

Ah, rock paper shotgun is supposed to be a good. Unfortunately both articles very clearly state that AGS can't handle 3D. They should research better, there's a number of plugins (some of which I developed) that allow all kinds of 3D rendering...

Lewis

Apologies, that was bad phrasing on my part. I did distinctly mean it doesn't support 3D by default, and that the engine's designed for 2D games really.

Seems a bit silly to question an entire publication's quality based on one dodgy sentence, mind. And I can assure you I didn't just throw the articles together - I'm an AGS developer myself, so I like to think I do know what I'm rambling about. :-)
Returning to AGS after a hiatus. Co-director of Richard & Alice and The Charnel House Trilogy.

Ali

I think the RPS article was fair as regards 3D in AGS. Though there are a few 3D plugins for AGS, I don't think they amount to a toolkit for 3D adventure games (yet). Unless I'm mistaken, the only games using the 3D plugins are those designed to demo their features.

On the other hand, the absence of Nelly Cootalot from the second article is less forgivable...

2dMatty

Nice work Sughly, I saw this article a few days ago :D

Technocrat

As one of the ones interview for RPS, I have nothing but positive energy for it. I'll get around to radiating it.

DoorKnobHandle

Quote from: Lewis on Sun 08/04/2012 20:03:13
Apologies, that was bad phrasing on my part. I did distinctly mean it doesn't support 3D by default, and that the engine's designed for 2D games really.

Seems a bit silly to question an entire publication's quality based on one dodgy sentence, mind. And I can assure you I didn't just throw the articles together - I'm an AGS developer myself, so I like to think I do know what I'm rambling about. :-)

The phrasing is what annoyed me, yep. Re-reading my post, I come across very harsh, as you point out! Part of it is because I put a LOT of effort into developing one of the 3D plugins for AGS - that's why I absolutely hate to read articles and comments underneath these articles that make it look like "it can't do 3D". Of course, I am not seriously trying to doubting rock paper shotgun's quality because of this statement.

@Ali: how is it fair to AGS's 3D capabilities to say: "the only thing AGS can't do is 3D" when that is 100% false? It's true that there haven't been any big 3D AGS releases yet and it's certainly wrong to call it a 3D adventure toolkit as you say, but I fail to see what that has to do with anything. AGS can do 3D by usage of freely downloadable plug-ins. That's a fact and it's simply wrong and unfair to claim otherwise!

Ali

Fair enough, sorry to go off topic. Bravo to RPS for plugging AGS!

Edit: No offence taken, Lewis!

You can Nelly Cootalot in your own time, it isn't getting any more derivative of Monkey Island.

Wait, it is? How is that possible...?

Lewis

Honestly, Nelly is a game I just haven't got around to playing yet. I really should - I've been told it's exceptional. Again, I did try to make it clear that I wasn't writing a comprehensive 'these are the best AGS games' list. It was 'if you're not into AGS games yet, here are some I like that I think you might like too.' :-)
Returning to AGS after a hiatus. Co-director of Richard & Alice and The Charnel House Trilogy.

Sughly

Quote from: 2d_Matty on Mon 09/04/2012 06:00:53
Nice work Sughly, I saw this article a few days ago :D

Thanks Matty ;D

Haddas

Congrats to those involved in this amazing project.

http://dome.fi/pelit/ajankohtaista/maailmanlopun-kunniaksi-linnunradan-kasikirja-liftareille-pointnclick-seikkailuna

You have been written about in a gaming article on a finnish website!

Babar

AGS community specifically called out (and I bet he knew I'd react like this too :D): https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/01/02/2018s-best-worst-and-blandest/
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Babar

Video creator I kinda follow mentioned AGS. And I think it's time to update our site  :=
Link with timestamp

eri0o

Ah, this reminds of something that I saw the other day (not media related though): https://jobs.chronicle.com/job/437177/assistant-professor-of-game-design-non-tenure-track/

About the website redesign there was this thread:

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=59176.0

But I think it needed more participation from community members to get the content updated, generate new screenshots, and possibly the idea was to use the Wiki that Hobbes did a ton of updates with AGA, to also host the base documents for the main website, but not many appeared to fill the blanks. Tampie85 did make an amazing design which I think can be seen through the links in the thread.

AGA

tampie85's redesign is going ahead, albeit slowly.  She's given me all the designs we need, I'm just gradually working through the implementation.  I work in development all day though, so my energy for it in my free time can be limited!

eri0o

AGA, I didn't meant to pressure you in any form, you do a lot already. I think you do an amazing job keeping this forum going, web maintenance is hard and the internet is an agressive place. Slow is always better than burnout. Take your time.

Rik_Vargard

Thank you for every minute you guys put into this! (nod)

AGA

Quote from: eri0o on Wed 16/02/2022 19:11:13
AGA, I didn't meant to pressure you in any form, you do a lot already. I think you do an amazing job keeping this forum going, web maintenance is hard and the internet is an agressive place. Slow is always better than burnout. Take your time.

Oh yeah, no pressure, don't worry.  Just thought I'd may as well give an update.

Babar

Not really directly related to AGS, but I did a double take when I saw @AnasAbdin mentioned in a recent gamedeveloper article for a creepy Microsoft Powerpoint adventure game as part of the inspiration for the art style. It's entirely possible that he's this huge figure outside of AGS, but this place is most of my online presence, so I had no idea  := .

eri0o

Anãs regularly get his drawings on Reddit front page, so he is well known I believe.

One thing fun about AGS I discovered recently is if you use Google Scholar or some of these sciencetific paper specific search engines, Adventure Game Studio is mentioned in a lot of papers on a lot of places, including books. It's very interesting, and also very curious, lots of interesting things and observations but they do not show elsewhere.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk