Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy! HD - Launches 23rd May

Started by Ali, Tue 06/03/2007 16:44:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Quote from: Pauca sed bona on Tue 07/10/2008 17:06:34
Hi, just wanted to say I've created an article for Spoonbeaks Ahoy! on Wikipedia:

Finally! I mean... thank you! I'm glad you like the game and I appreciate your effort to get more people interested.

kajlin

Ali, your Nelly Cootalot is one of the best games I've ever played. Thank you for such a nice game. I hope you won't stop creating new games :)

Crimson Wizard

I finished the game some time ago and I wanted to ask this question, but was continiously forgetting to do this :) So, sorry for bringing this thread up again... but can anyone explain me the meaning of the joke (or maybe it isn't a joke?) about "Soviet Russia" and "vodka"? I cannot understand a sense of those lines Nelly sais in the context when Bartender tells her she should pay for entering a pirate museum.

Ali

To save anyone jumping in and trying to defend my shoddy writing. The joke* is simply that people often fatuously compare unfair situations to Soviet Russia. However, the charge-to-enter-pirate-museum situation is actually nothing like Soviet Russia.

It could equally well have run:

FRIDAY: Sorry, it costs 1 daalder to enter the museum.

NELLY: Eh? This is like Thatcherite Britain!

FRIDAY: How?

NELLY: Well... there aren't any miners.

FRIDAY: Damn right! No ID means no service.

Which to be honest is marginally better.

* In the loosest possibly sense of the word.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Ali on Fri 24/04/2009 13:21:38
To save anyone jumping in and trying to defend my shoddy writing. The joke* is simply that people often fatuously compare unfair situations to Soviet Russia.
Hehe, weird, wasn't much aware of this.
Anyway, thanks for explanation :)

Ali

*Blows dust off the old thread...*

Nelly Cootalot now supports a Spanish translation (courtesy of Kawagames) and anti-aliased characters (look at the edges all smooth...).
Hooray! What's the Spanish for hooray...? I forgot to ask...

Check the first post for more details!

If you host an old version of the game, please update it. The game is 4 years old, so bug reports are not welcome, but will be tolerated.

Igor Hardy

Wow, the anti-aliasing thing really prettifies Nelly a lot!

Haggis

Ooooooo Nelly Cootalot extra smooth.... no nonsense.

Ali

A nice chap called Hervé Appriou has translated Nelly Cootalot into French and I'm looking for French-speaking playtesters to play through and proof-read the game.

If you are interested please PM me!

Igor Hardy

Cripes, I thought it's finally the Nelly Cootalot II release announcement!

Ali

(deleted)

(deleted)

Dualnames

Quote from: Ascovel on Fri 02/12/2011 18:06:53
Cripes, I thought it's finally the Nelly Cootalot II release announcement!

Me too. GOD DAMN IT!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Monsieur OUXX

Me me me me me! Pick me!
Also, could you directly send the translation file so that I can read through everything and spot all grammar mistakes directly?

LUniqueDan

Hey! No! Take me instead. I'm in!
Don't take Ouxx.

I speak Swiss French, Walloon, Magwa, Québécois, Modern Monégasque and Ch'tiac/Acadian. While Ouxx probably olny speak that weird stuff found in France.

Pleaaaaaaaaaase.
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

Monsieur OUXX

A whole, long, entire weekend wasted :(

On a separate note: I'm VERY curious to see how the advanced puns have been translated so far.
Even the names -- it's actually a very similar process as the ones from Harry Potter: Voldemort --> Voldemort (obviously), Slytherin -> Serpentard, Cootalot -> ... Moultebécasse?  :D :D :D

Ali

My sweet Lord, pun and silly joke translation is difficult!

From both the French and Spanish translators I kept getting polite emails asking me to explain "brass monkey warmers" or the dangers of "improperly buckled swashes". Thanks for the PMs guys, I'll be in contact soon!

- Al

Monsieur OUXX

LUnique Dan (and other potential volunteers), I have the translation file, please PM me  to get in touch and synchronize.

Ali

Call for French Proofreaders!

M'aidez!

Monsieur OUXX has been working away on the French proofreading for a while now, but he needs some help!

As I mentioned earlier, Hervé has translated the game into French, but careful proofreading is essential to maintain the silly puns and (importantly) the language-based puzzles. Monsieur OUXX is half way through the proofreading, do you think you could help with this final push? If so, please contact him or me!

Merci!

thiezar

Wow. It looks great. I'm gonna play it. I love games with such stylish graphics.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk