Re: Mockup Blitz :: Oct 14. to Oct. 27 (CLOSED! Winner announced)

Started by TheJBurger, Sun 14/10/2007 01:25:07

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJBurger

The Background Blitz is temporarily out of action, and instead, we are going to try something a little different.

Mockup Blitz

Your objective is to create an adventure game mockup. This means that you must create a scene exactly as it would look as if you were playing a game. You must design the interface, the main character (if 3rd person view) or any other characters, and the background.

Example: http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/18137.htm#

-

I thought it might be interesting if we had a specific theme, so the theme will be:
MOVIES to ADVENTURE GAMES

RULES:
Choose a movie and translate a scene from that movie into an adventure game.
Showcase the game's character and interface in your mockup.

Size and Palette Restrictions:
None

-
Voting:
I thought maybe we should try different categories for this time. They would be as follows:
Idea: The main idea of the mockup and how well it translates into an adventure game.
Background: How well the background is executed.               
Characters: How well the characters are executed.
Interface: How well the interface suits the mockup and the scene.

If there are any questions, suggestions, or comments, please feel free to ask them.

Akatosh

I think I'd have just the thing ready for this... but it's not ok partially integrating other people's art, so I'm going to have to improvise a little.

Sparky

OK, count me in. I should have something in tomorrow.

Kaio

I just love the idea of this kind of competition! And I got an entry, too:

What if LucasArts made a classic point'n'click Adventure Game in 1992 about a movie, that came out in 1999? Impossible, you say? No! It might have been:

"Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace: The classic point'n'click Adventure Game" (quite long name  ::))

The scene: You play as Jedimaster Qui-Gon Jinn, followed by Obi-Wan Kenobi, your Padawan learner. The Jedi are on a Neimodian Spacestation (in a conference room) to negotiate with the Tradefederation about the embargo over Naboo (I don't want to go into detail, I guess loads of you have seen the movie, if not, give it a try ;)). Well, and now you are Qui-Gon, puzzeling trough the Spacestaion with just one Object in the beginning: your Lightsaber. And here's my idea of what nearly 100% of everyone of us would try first: torture poor Obi-Wan... ;D

Here's an animation version of it, sorry bout the bad quality, but I didn't want to stretch the images size to much for users with lower bandwidth. (it's still ca. 720 kb)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I whipped this up a little fast and kept it stylistically retro to fit in with the TRON colors and design.  I also like retro.

TRON: DE-RESOLUTION

Story:  10 years after the MCP was destroyed by TRON with Flynn's help, the digital world has become a place of peace where accounting programs and security programs alike are treated as equals.  After Kevin Flynn refuses a merger with rival business Comtek they hire a hacker to break into ENCOM's system to learn the secret of true artificial intelligence; unfortunately, the old security backdoor he discovers triggers a forgotten routine that endangers the virtual world after TRON is somehow de-rezzed.  Unable to locate TRON's routines in the system, Flynn orders LAN, a young, yet powerful communications and maintenance program to restore TRON and discover what  happened.

TRON: DE-RESOLUTION is a hybrid adventure-action game with equal emphasis on puzzle solving and combat/minigames.  Not only will LAN have to compete in The Games, a series of training maneuvers including light cycle races and disc battle, he will also have to search the vast virtual world for TRON's data files bit by bit in order to rebuild him.  Every 8 bits will unlock a 1 point upgrade bonus to LAN's skills.  He'll jump higher, run faster, become more powerful, and even learn unique abilities, like being able to rebuild damaged/destroyed equipment!

LAN de-rezzes a rogue security program while a Recognizer looms in the background and fires at him.

Sparky

I'm hesitant to post this after the much more detailed entries above-

320x240, sketch and palette intended as a basis for pixel art. There wasn't time to pixel over everything, unfortunately.

Edit: This is from a little-known children's video game adaptation of the 1955 giant monster flick "It Came From Beneath the Sea" featuring the titular monster's daughter, who is actually a space alien.

TheJBurger

I hope people haven't forget about this! Anyway, it's closed now and I guess it only needed 1 day of participation, not 2 weeks.

Voting will commence to commemorate a victor.

The categories:
Idea: The main idea of the mockup and how well it translates into an adventure game.
Background: How well the background is executed. Not necessarily the technical aspects, but what the background is trying to achieve in the mockup and how well it does that.             
Characters: How well the characters are executed and suited for the mockup.
Interface: How well the interface suits the mockup and the scene.

Akatosh

Alright...

Idea vote - yeah, that was tough. But I think mine goes to ProgZMax, mainly because I loved Tron and thought about making a game like that, too.   ;)

All other votes go to kaioshin - now THAT'S what I call pixel-art made of awesome!

(Also, could we suspend the Background Blitz for a little longer? I wasn't able to make it for this Mockup Blitz, but I'd like to participate in this somewhen...)

Jon

ildu

All my votes for extending the deadline!

TheJBurger

Quote from: ildu on Sun 28/10/2007 22:10:42
All my votes for extending the deadline!

Oh no--I think you're too late. Sorry. Maybe we can have another round instead?

ildu

I was kinda reacting to Akatosh's plea about extending. It's just such a great topic that I'm sure more people would enter if they got a shift kick in the back end. I like the movie-game thingy, but we could always just have another mockup round.

Kaio

Why not do it again? If so many people liked the topic, it would be kinda silly not to repeat it, I think.  :)

btw: I'm kinda confused...did I won or are there still people to vote on this?

TheJBurger

Quote from: kaioshin on Mon 29/10/2007 15:13:19
Why not do it again? If so many people liked the topic, it would be kinda silly not to repeat it, I think.  :)

btw: I'm kinda confused...did I won or are there still people to vote on this?

Apologies for the confusion. I think voting should continue for another 24 hours before we consider this closed. I hope there is no harm done.

Quote from: ildu on Mon 29/10/2007 10:55:36
I was kinda reacting to Akatosh's plea about extending. It's just such a great topic that I'm sure more people would enter if they got a shift kick in the back end. I like the movie-game thingy, but we could always just have another mockup round.
Yes, well it seems the only entries were cooked up in one day, and I thought 2 weeks was ample enough time for everyone else. I just thought it seemed if people did not muster up something during that time, then maybe we should move on instead of wait longer. It's too late to extend it now.

However, if the majority wants another round, that would be fine. Though I think perhaps a slightly different or altered topic might be appropriate.

Akatosh

Or probably one with restrictions to palette/size or something like that.

loominous

Personally I'd like to see another mockup round, but with a different topic.

Or just do as Ildu suggested in the former thread and make the interface/sprite part optional.

My votes go to: sparky for idea and characters, and kaioshin for interface and background.

Edit: Oh, and please don't implement any palette/size restrictions. We're past the point where they make any sense, except as an exotic rule to spice things up every now and then.
Looking for a writer

Kaio

Quote from: TheJBurger on Mon 29/10/2007 18:24:07Though I think perhaps a slightly different or altered topic might be appropriate.

What about: "Sequels of famous movies, that never made it to cinema"
I think it would be fun to see how people imagine a forth "Lord of the Rings" movie as an adventure game Mockup (am I talking sense???).  ;D

TheJBurger

Well this is now closed. Congrats to kaisohin on the victory, and thanks to the other participants for entering.

As for where to go from here, it seems like another mockup round would be the general consensus, though I don't think we should repeat the same topic. Anybody else want to have a say in the matter?

Khris

I'd love another round. Palette/size restrictions are fine by me, actually I prefer them.
Maybe it would make sense to continue the Background Blitz as it was and keep the Mockup Blitz, too.

Thus pixel artists can get creative within the limits of the current MB while non-pixel artists like loominous are able to draw backgrounds without restrictions.

Gilbert

Since it's only a mild success and is only the first time, I'll say we may have occational Background Blitz to become a Mockup Blitz, but not a regular, at least not at this moment, unless it's proven to have constant and fair amount of participants.

It's all up to the winner of a round to choose the rules of the next round: Size/palette restriction, Mockup or regular, etc. So it's all up to kaioshin, if he wants another round of Mockup Blitz it's fine to start the next round as one, otherwise he can always make it a traditional Background Blitz.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk