Mockup Blitz :: Nov. 26 - Dec. 15 (WINNERS ANNOUNCED)

Started by TheJBurger, Sun 25/11/2007 21:40:20

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJBurger

Mockup Blitz

Your objective is to create an adventure game mockup. This means that you must create a scene exactly as it would look as if you were playing a game. You must design the interface, the main character (if 3rd person view) or any other characters, and the background.

Example: http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/18137.htm#

-

THEME:
Scene in the rain

New Theme:
Film Noir Games
definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_noir

RULES:
Create a background that is set in rain.
There must be at least two characters on screen.

(if you already made a mockup with the old theme, feel free to submit it)

New Rules:
Simulate an adventure game set in the style of film noir.

Inspiration:
Google Images
Flickr
No restrictions on palette or size. It's your choice whether or not to use grayscale.

Have fun!

Jens

What about making the topic more specific and prolonging the mockup blitz?

TheJBurger

Quote from: Jens on Wed 05/12/2007 21:52:22
What about making the topic more specific and prolonging the mockup blitz?

That is a possibility. I could extend it a week and use a more specific version of the current topic. If anybody has any entries in progress, objections, suggestions, or support please say so now.

Khris

I don't have anything in the works because of the rain part.
So instead of narrowing the rule set, I'd rather see the rain become optional or something.

ildu

Yah, the topic isn't really too inspiring to me. The rain is certainly a challenge to properly portray in a game mockup (so that it could actually work in-game), but it's just too vague in my opinion.

TheJBurger

Okay, thanks for the input. Sorry for the boring topic. I am thinking of changing the topic and extending it one week. If anyone is still working on an entry I'd still take it if the topic is changed. If there are no objections I will change it within 24 hours.

EDIT: Changed topic. Extended one week.

ildu

Oddysseus

It's more of a sketch than a polished entry, but I couldn't resist making something:

It's first-person, and the inventory is accessed by pressing a keyboard button (so is the HUD).

(Reference used- some random image off of google. obviously.)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I may add the rest of the interface later, but for now this is what I have:

http://members.cox.net/progzmax/holmes.gif

and double-size

It is an animation so you may need to watch it over to see all the dialog.

Oddysseus

Couldn't help myself- I made another. I guess this one will be my "official" entry:

First-person again, and I made the interface text-based this time because... well, because I'm lazy.

EdLoen

Akatosh

Quote from: TheJBurger on Sun 25/11/2007 21:40:20
No restrictions on palette or size.

Whee! In that case, might attempt something. Might.

Dervish

Not sure if this is cheating or not but this is a game i am actually working on.
If it is I guess count me out but i will post it anyway.

Monsieur OUXX

Until now, only EdLoen's post is really in the "noir" genre. And eventually Dervish's one.

ProgZmax's one is amazing but is not "noir" (noir refers to hollywoodian detective films from the 20th century/50's, and Sherlock Holmes takes place in the 1880's).

In fact, I don't know why I posted this message, since I wouldn't want a good entry to lose for so trivial reasons.

Evil

When it comes to movies or games, noir can just mean stylistically dark and shadowy, not just a detective story.

ildu

Noir has more to do with style and mood than with setting and story. Despair, cynicism, betrayal and sin are all themes of noir, and it's really not as much to do with a specific time or place in history. So basically anything can be considered noir, if done from the appropriate viewpoint. Films don't need to star detectives or tell detective stories (see. Lady From Shanghai, Touch of Evil), nor do they have to be set in the 30's-50's (see. Blade Runner, 13th Floor) to be considered noir. And speaking of Sherlock Holmes, I think the TV series (by Granada) was particularly noirish.

Oddysseus

Yet another one.  I don't like it as much as the others, though.  I'll keep the second as my official entry.

By the way, that game looks really sharp, Dervish.  Good luck with it.

Nacho

To be honest, I made it with colours and then changed to B&W... Hope I am not breaking the rules or something...

I would fill it a bit more, but, hey... enough!

EDIT: Oh! A conversation with Grundy at Msn warned me about the sprite... Yeah, I used Moureen, from FT, as a reference, dunno if I am breaking the rules (again). Monsieur, consider me disqualified at any moment you consider it necessary.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Svartberg

The interface is heavily influenced by the flash game "Legend of Hiro".
I'm going away soon and the deadline is today - so a lot of the interface is unfinished, no character, and I took the two inventory icons from the Buuf iconpack.

TheJBurger

Voting starts now and will last for 24 hours or longer if necessary.

Different categories as I can't come up with anything better! READ before VOTING
-
Voting:
Idea: The main idea of the mockup and how well it translates into an adventure game.
Execution: How well the overall background/image/characters come together in carrying out the idea.
Interface: How well the interface suits the mockup. This includes any GUIs onscreen, including dialog.
-
Entries:
ProgzMax:

Oddysseus:

EdLoen:

Dervish:

Nacho:

Svartberg:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk