Background Blitz :: [April 1 - April 15] Winner Announced!

Started by TheJBurger, Mon 31/03/2008 23:23:59

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJBurger

Topic: The lighthouse

Restrictions:
None

ThreeOhFour

I just recieved my first shiny new Wacom tablet in the mail this morning - and I wanted to have a go at drawing something with it :)

This is the result  :-[

Yes, it's awful. But it is the first picture I've drawn with a tablet, and the first time I've really tried "painting" with my computer, so don't be mean >:(!

;)

Even though the pic is kinda crappy, I had a good time brushing away while doing it. I remember Andail did a tutorial on how to make nice backgrounds, I might go have a look at that and see if I can turn this scribble into something worthy of me posting here. And yes, I know that it's not that functional as a background. I just wanted to draw something, ok!? ;D

EDIT: With the power of my magic wand (stylus thingo) I've done some editing to this, as well as some attempted colour mixing (by which I mean yes, I know it is too dark now :(). Still looks kinda crappy, but at least it has some real contrast now :).

EDIT 2:

Yep, I can't stop touching it up  :). I'm getting a bit happier with it now though:

TheJBurger

I know how you feel. I recently just drew my first tablet background too (it was actually the one in the last background blitz, and believe me, it looked 10x messier than when I posted it!).

Thanks for entering, though!

ThreeOhFour

It's nice to hear I'm not the only one :).

I have to say, though, I've had a bit more of a play with it, and for all my ineptitude, it's still a groovy little machine. I've done some work on the background, so I'll update my other post.

Jack Sheehan

I like the style of the picture but I'm not sure how well it would function as a backround.

Andail

Ben, feel free to show this over at the Critics Lounge and we'll have a talk about it :)

ThreeOhFour

yarooze

No restrictions? ok. Here is my animated background with the lighthouse:  ;D

click here -> <- new with lens flare!  8)

My Blog

Daniel Thomas

Ill post my now since I dont feel like finnishing it up - it wasnt a very exciting piece so Ill leave it like this.
The cropping is because of the changes in the composition.
I like the colors though. :)
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

ThreeOhFour

PixelPerfect

Yeah that's really beautiful.  :o
This piece would make a fine tutorial, if you zyndikate would have time to do it. I would read it in a heartbeat. Very nice work.

Svartberg

top notch entry zyndikate, very inspiring and a pleasure to look at :)

Dualnames

I know a good one when i see one this looks gorgeous, I even made it as my wallpaper.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

brokenbutterfly

Quote from: thejburger (previous background blitz)
Here is an unfinished, messy background, that I don't really like but I'll post it anyway:
Quote from: zyndikate on Mon 07/04/2008 00:12:36
Ill post my now since I dont feel like finnishing it up - it wasnt a very exciting piece so Ill leave it like this.

I realize the more people say they don't like their piece, the more said piece is beautiful!  ;D

zyndikate's entry is sooo romantic!! Insta win  :-*

TwinMoon

Quote from: zyndikate on Mon 07/04/2008 00:12:36
Some people here have way too high standards...

You could make Rembrandt jealous with the way you drew that fog!

Daniel Thomas

Thanks all for that! - Just wanted to add that I didnt hate it, it wasnt exciting enough(for me) to push further.
For those asking for tutorials and such, have a look over here:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=34237.0
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

rock_chick

Quote from: zyndikate on Tue 08/04/2008 14:49:40
Thanks all for that! - Just wanted to add that I didnt hate it, it wasnt exciting enough(for me) to push further.
For those asking for tutorials and such, have a look over here:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=34237.0

Surprised no one had replied when I checked it out but I just did anyway and your background is awesome and I doubt you wont be the winner!

nihilyst

Quote from: rock_chick on Tue 08/04/2008 15:05:39
Surprised no one had replied when I checked it out but I just did anyway and your background is awesome and I doubt you wont be the winner!

It's too early to say, since I definitely will enter ^^
EDIT: (if I get this grass and leaves !%"§$! done)

But heck, you're right. You have made a very atmospheric piece there, zyndikate. Your choice of colours is top-notch.

EDIT2:

Okay, here it is. I hate grass. It really looks messed up.
2x

And for the records: The first stage, done in EGA colours, changed later on (removed tree etc.).

cheers
nihilyst

nihilyst

rock_chick

Very impressive background, I see you've used more of a pixel art style or do I have no idea what I'm talking about here? Just wondering why there's a letterbox in it, why would a lighthouse need one?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk