MAGS 2009-01: (No) Drugs!

Started by Klaus, Thu 01/01/2009 11:58:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

Please do not just enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created in just some hours or a few days)!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: (No) Drugs!

"And suddenly I had an inkling of what it must feel like to be mad."

This month's guidelines were set by last month's winner bicilotti.
They are brief and pretty vague, so there's a lot of freedom for your games:

The main character in your game must ingest (or sniff, hear, see, meet, breathe, touch, etc. - you choose) something or someone. This will affect the functioning of his (her) body and/or mind.

No further restrictions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All games need to be in by January 25th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

bicilotti

Quote from: Klaus on Thu 01/01/2009 11:58:57
This month's guidelines were set by last month's winner bicilotti.
They are brief and pretty vague, so there's a lot of freedom for your games:

Indeed they are.

Even though I've entered only once, I'm a big fan of MAGS. They get you in the mood for producing something, they give you a release date to motivate yourself, they're friendly towards newbies.

I feel the theme of this month can be dissected in many ways; just looking at the "technical" side of it,  there are many solutions that could be implemented, like using a weird palette or abusing of the
Code: ags
Rand();
RawDrawSomething();

routines.

Not to talk about the story: drugs are a fundamental piece of background in many tales (opium in China, for example).

And a drug could not even be a substance...

Bottom line: let loose your imagination and reward me with a plethora of games! ;)

Play_Pretend

Heh...from a quantum observationist standpoint, absolutely everything you encounter will change the body/mind of the observer.  So you could just have a game of a guy sitting on a couch. :)

limeTree

Can you explain the theme a bit more,i am not a native English speaker so
i don't  quite catch that.
So,the point is that the main character is affected by something or someone so that after the interaction he goes nuts as if he were on drugs or...?

Ryan Timothy B

This sounds great Bicilotti.. Perhaps I'll be motivated enough to push myself through until the end. :P

bicilotti

Quote from: lipaoklipa on Fri 02/01/2009 01:39:49
Can you explain the theme a bit more,i am not a native English speaker so
i don't  quite catch that.

Sure thing!

So,the point is that the main character is affected by something or someone so that after the interaction he goes nuts as if he were on drugs or...?

Let me give you a straight example:a game where an hippy takes LSD for the first time, or a game about a trader and his cocaine addiction.

As Strange Visitor pointed out, the rules are flexible enough to allow different kind of stories (a fantasy hero drinks a potion and is transformed into a frog? A 14-year-old boy gets drunk swallowing a beer in one gulp? A cosmonaut has its mind warped as he touches a black, featurless monolith? A...).

Find a "drug" that suits you and build a story around it ;)

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Fri 02/01/2009 01:51:10
This sounds great Bicilotti.. Perhaps I'll be motivated enough to push myself through until the end. :P

That's the attitude! Good luck!

IndieBoy

Awesome rules, I wonder if there will be an other Crackwell game... Also well done bici!
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Akatosh

Hm... I think I have an idea...

Yeah, or not.

Dualnames

2000 post. Oh, well...I'll enter man. I have a cool idea. Might even work.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

bicilotti

Quote from: Dualnames on Fri 02/01/2009 20:31:00
2000 post. Oh, well...I'll enter man. I have a cool idea. Might even work.

Quote from: Akatosh on Fri 02/01/2009 14:04:10
Hm... I think I have an idea...

Quote from: IndieBoy on Fri 02/01/2009 04:59:04
Awesome rules, I wonder if there will be an other Crackwell game... Also well done bici!

Very good my minions... now, produce!

Ghost

Quote from: bicilotti on Fri 02/01/2009 04:45:07
Find a "drug" that suits you and build a story around it ;)

Can the game I build around the drug be the drug I build the game around?

*gasp* that actually was an idea!

bicilotti

Quote from: Ghost on Fri 02/01/2009 20:55:28
Can the game I build around the drug be the drug I build the game around?

Also, very Escheresque Ghost :D

Klyptomaniac

I hope I get around to actually making this game! (:P) It would really help me jumpstart myself, right?

bicilotti

Quote from: Klyptomaniac on Sun 04/01/2009 19:17:37
I hope I get around to actually making this game! (:P) It would really help me jumpstart myself, right?

MAGS is the ideal place! Good luck with whatever you're working on!

Ryan Timothy B

Bic, I just gotta say........ "Arghhh!!!"  Why'd you choose such a wicked theme?  I've been working steady on the background art, it's 1:30am, I work in 6 hours.. I should be sleeping!  Yet I'm still up.. drawing....  I blame you.... *evil -tired- eyes pierce through your soul*..

Anyway, all jokes aside, thanks!  It's been a fun 4 and 1/2 days so far.  20 more to go.

Dualnames

20 days.. And I'm reserving a spot later on for my game which is almost finished (ok, just the readme. time doesn't equal quality.)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

bicilotti

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 05/01/2009 18:47:39
20 days.. And I'm reserving a spot later on for my game which is almost finished (ok, just the readme. time doesn't equal quality.)

By the way, if you've posted in this thread and fail to deliver a game by the deadline, mobsters sent by yours truly will search for you and eventually break every single bone of the hand with wich you operate your mouse.

So Dual, Ryan, Kliptomaniac, Ghost, Akatosh, Indie, lipaoklipa, Strange Visitor and Klaus (yeah, you too), you're warned.  8) ;D

IndieBoy

Damn I don't want the mafia on my arse. :o
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Klyptomaniac

Oh noes! :( Weez in trouble naow!!!

Ghost

Hah, teh Ghost is un-findable and unscared  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk