sync::routine

Started by Jimbob, Wed 27/01/2010 01:56:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbob

sync::routine

Good evening. It's about time I posted my first delve into the world of AGS development.

In sync::routine you play Roman, a character who we meet in the process of conning his way into an office building trying to reverse engineer a connection into a company's network, and on the way find some information about the his former female partner who left without a trace...

The game will be quite short, but it will involve a range of puzzles, including some close up inventory examination, and dabbling in computer interfaces...

Current Progress (29/07/10):
Story: 99%
Backgrounds: 95%
Sprites: 95%
Coding: 95%
Sound/Music: 100%

Minor Progress Update (31/01):
The last inventory object is in, with just two of the major puzzles left to code and no more backgrounds to draw. Need to finish animations for the intro, and decide on how to present the ending. I reckon it might take about half an hour to get through it by the end of it.
Update (02/02):
Almost there. The intro animations are done, but there may be some extra sprites in the ending... I'm not sure yet. It's now fully playable up to the last puzzle. And there will be some minor alterations to the ending depending on whether you solved the side puzzle. First round of testing started...
Update (04/02):
Okay, after an initial round of testing...it has been tweaked and now I've just gotta write/code the ending... I think someone is on-board for the music now as well. So ETA... 13th/14th Feb (goes and prepares his gallows for announcing a release data).
Update (07/02):
Still on track. Ending is now in. All SFX (pending interactions I may have accidently missed) are in. Lot of tweaks to animations, backgrounds, script and code have been implemented to make the game work a little better.
Update (12/02):
More little animation frames in and redrawn intro and outre scenes. Looking for a musician also! See latest post!
Update (14/02):
Found a musician,  but it'll be sometime in the week when the game is released... sorry peeps...
Update (14/03):
One month later, got music for the most part... just waiting for one more track.
Update (29/07):
Err... don't what happened. I kind of didn't like how it played anymore and then my life workload got ridiculous.
And now I'm rejigging the ending, adding a scene and then we're good! Maybe a week? Hah!
Update (4/08):
Can't be long now... maybe this weekend...
Current Project: A Hard Day's Knight

SarahLiz

niiiiiice graphics.  like it already  :)

Snake

Sounds nice. I love the graphics too. For some reason, that hard drive reminds me of the computer disc in the intro to the NES game, Journey to Silius:

Looking forward!

Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

david

It reminds me of the Yahtzee´s games. That´s good
Carry on :D

Jimbob

Thanks chaps/chapesses.

Added a mini-shot of the (really cheap) CLI I made for one of the computer puzzles. The harddrive is kinda stylised a bit modern-y but in the game it pretty much works like a floppy disk. :P

Other note you might find relevant... I'm using a two button BASS-style interface aside from the type-y bits (left - interact / use item, right - look / cancel item).

Dualnames

The game looks terribly good!! :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Jimbob

Cheers.

I'm kinda provisionally giving myself a deadline of Feb 13th/14th for this one. Just to give myself a goal to aim for. I can't see any reason for not making that, so ... bring it on!

Late night edit: Ugh, dunno why I get the inspiration to write at 2 in the morning, but I've just written out the ending part of the script... that's anothing thing out of the way. Damn I should sleep now :S and spell check it in the morning :P

Bulbapuck

Wait, so this is out SOON?!
I'm eagerly awaiting ;D

david

let's wait and see what is crawling out :D

ThreeOhFour

I liked the background you posted some time ago in the critics lounge and am glad you have turned this into a game. I look forward to playing it :)

SarahLiz

I am so excited that this is coming out soon.  It looks AMAZING.   :D

Jimbob

Okay, I'm close to completion now, but it looks like I need a musician as I've not had a reply from my friend who seems to be in a busy time right now...

I'm basically looking for two/three pieces (no more than a minute apiece):
- 1 for the intro
- 1 looping ambient background piece for the game
- 1 for the outro (although it can be a reprise of the intro)

I've got a few reference songs that have the kinda mood I'm going for whoever takes it up. Although I'm still hoping to get this finished over the weekend if possible.

PM me and I can point you to the current version of the game.

UPDATE: I forgot to update this post on top of the original post, but I have found a new musician, and the game should be out this week...

Misantaller

The graphics are great! And I like old-school-computers :)
But the last update was in March :(
Is the game finished? If so, where can I download it?
If not, when will it be finished?

Darth Mandarb

Please read the forum rules and do not dig up any threads.  Send a PM to the developer of the game instead.

Jimbob - if you're still working on this let me know when you want to post an update and I'll unlock this.

Jimbob

Yes! Work has resumed.

I've updated the OP but I'll say it here as well...

I kinda didn't like it any more.

But I really appreciate it as getting me into the whole AGS thing and experimenting with the interface and interaction was fun even though the overarching plot is shoe-horned in and not quite as fleshed out (or as well written  :-\) as I'd hoped. The few puzzles I'm actually quite proud of, and it'll definitely be worth a go as it has some good ideas in there, if not perfectly integrated with everything else...

Either way, I'm rejigging a few things, trying to add a scene, and hope to have it out in a week or so.

On it's release, I shall announce my new, complete 180-turn of a project that is already infinitely better... :D

Snake

YAY!

That's all I've got to say ;D I've been looking forward to this for a while now.

\\--EDIT--//
It's seems longer that this has been dormant... it feels like a few years old!
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk