Background Blitz - Troll's Lair (WINNER!)

Started by Sughly, Sat 21/08/2010 02:14:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Sughly

Alrighty, more background fun! With the three billy goat's gruff story in mind, I thought it would be interesting to consider what the troll's home may look like, so let's draw...

A Troll's Lair! It can be under a bridge or in a cave - wherever a troll may call home.

I'll take Jim Reed's line and say the image should be AGS compatible, and you have free use of any colours you like.
You've got til 4th September - go go go!

Sughly

Alun

Quote from: Sughly on Tue 24/08/2010 06:15:18
...aaaaaaand go!

Go...?  :(

For what it's worth, I intend to make an entry... but I'm not sure how soon I'll get around to it.  Hopefully before the 4th, though...

Soup - The Comic Strip
http://www.soupcomic.com
Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

Sughly

Woo! Thanks Alun! And I shall match that intention with my own... which is to say, I may not get it done either  :(

Mad

Not quite finished, since I lost interest, because the BG is not really very imaginative!
But there you go:

Maybe I can motivate myself to continue this some time later this week...

EDIT:

Made a night version.

Just. Very. Cheaply. Straining. After. Effect!

Anian

Somehow it always reminds me of this story: http://www.last.fm/music/Neil+Gaiman/_/Troll+Bridge
(narrated by Gaiman himself, it's a reimagination of the myth, as many of his works are, not completly for children though)

Hope this inspires people a bit.  :)
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Sughly

Wow, that's amazing Mad. Love the colour palette and the use of light, very nice!

Quote from: anian on Tue 24/08/2010 19:17:37
Somehow it always reminds me of this story: http://www.last.fm/music/Neil+Gaiman/_/Troll+Bridge
(narrated by Gaiman himself, it's a reimagination of the myth, as many of his works are, not completly for children though)

Hope this inspires people a bit.  :)

That's pretty interesting, I haven't listened to one of those spoken stories in ages. It's got me motivated! Though I have to go back to uni work now...  :'(

Kelma

The troll and his bridge meet modernity and industrialization!

abstauber

Wonkyth

"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Sughly

alrighty well, technically it's the 4th of Sept down here in Aussie land, but I'll give the rest of the world the benefit of the doubt and wait until they reach the date too. Not sure there's any more entries coming, but you never know...

Alun

Quote from: Sughly on Sat 04/09/2010 03:29:06
alrighty well, technically it's the 4th of Sept down here in Aussie land, but I'll give the rest of the world the benefit of the doubt and wait until they reach the date too. Not sure there's any more entries coming, but you never know...

I had definitely been planning on making something, but it doesn't look likely that I'll be able to get to it after all.  I just got laid off from my job, so I've got a lot to deal with right now.  So... I may get something done tonight, but don't wait up for me.

Soup - The Comic Strip
http://www.soupcomic.com
Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

loominous

Have an entry cooking, so if you could delay the deadline a few hours, that would be appreciated.
Looking for a writer

Sughly

Quote from: loominous on Sat 04/09/2010 21:20:02
Have an entry cooking, so if you could delay the deadline a few hours, that would be appreciated.

Your request is granted! A loominous pic will be worth the wait I'm sure  ;D

Also Alun - very sad to hear. Hopefully things work out and we'll see you back in it with future comps...

loominous

Ugh, these outdoor pics never cease having areas to refine, so scaled it down to 480xsomething, to conceal some roughness, which I don't think is supported by AGS, but 320x just lost too much detail.
Looking for a writer

Sughly

Well done loominous! Alrighty, I like the idea of passing responsibility on so I'll put it up for a vote. I also liked SookieSock's catagories so I'll steal them. So if everyone can put a vote in for the following...

Idea - The creativity and originality of the work
Design- How innovative and intriguing is the depiction of the idea/theme? How well do content and details enhance the work?
Technique-The artistic skill and style employed in depicting the theme.
Functionality- How well the background would work in a game.

Snarky

I should point out that voting is how we've traditionally always decided the Background Blitz. It was only last time that the host apparently got confused with the Sprite Jam, and simply declared a winner.

My votes:
Idea: Kelma
Design: loominous
Technique: Mad
Functionality: Mad

Mad's background immediately made me think of a game where you just hear the sound effect of someone walking on the bridge, then you have to ask them a series of questions to figure out if you're going to let them pass, and only afterwards do you see what kind of creature or person it was. Seemed like a decent concept for a one-room game.

Mad

Idea: abstauber - Just a nice twist on the whole Troll-Bridge-Toll Theme.

Design: loominous - It is a wonderful composition, with great use of light enhancing the funny details like the sign on the door and the donation bowl!

Technique: loominous - Again, this piece does it for me. I would just love to play a game in this style. Everything seems light and airy, without looking too washed out.

Functionality: Kelma - The BG has well defined walkable areas and likely, clearly visable hotspots.

Ilyich

Idea: abstauber - ridiculously silly, but really funny and creative. And it has a strong Gobliiins vibe, which is great.
Design: loominous - no comment.
Technique: loominous - again, not much to say - beautifully done.
Functionality: Kelma - it's really easy to imagine this location inside the game, the possible dialogue, puzzles and hotspot descriptions just write themselves.

loominous

Idea: abstauber - Really like his expression.

Design: Mad - Nice colours and values.

Technique: Mad - Nice strokes.

Functionality: Mad - Pretty good angle, and clear limits.
Looking for a writer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk