MAGS March - Special Edition: "Celebration" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Tue 01/03/2011 16:39:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Recently RoN celebrated its 10th anniversary. What better way to celebrate than a special edition MAGS!? There is none! (Except cookies).

Topic: 'Celebration'

This month's guidelines were set by Renegade Implementor:

The theme is open but must include some sort of celebration (be it holiday, birthday, or anniversary).

As well as this, the game should also be either:

• Set in the RoN town itself, or somewhere in the surrounding area (such as the beach or forest).
• Set in another location (eg park, cave, launderette), providing the main character(s) are existing RoN characters (think Roadtrip).

Bottom line, your game must feature a celebration of some kind, and have one of these connections to the RoN series.

Resources:

The RoN site provides a wealth of resources (backgrounds, sprites, history) to help you get started. You are allowed to use any of these, providing you end up doing something yourself.

• Characters!
• Backgrounds! (ddl)
• Character sprites! (ddl)

Alternatively, you could create your own graphics based off these resources. Quite frankly, why bother?

Good luck to everybody, and happy birthday Ron ;D Before I forget, here are some cookies.

There's not enough to go around so please share.

Ending 31/3/2011

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed. Please do not enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created last minute). Sure, you can make a game and rush it - but don't do this just to win by default.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Third, finally, and most importantly, post your game here, including:

✓ A working download link.
✓ The title of your game.
✓ A suitable screenshot.

At the end of the month, the all-important voting will begin! This period usually lasts fifteen days. Should you win, along with announcing the next month's rules, your name and game will be immortalised in the MAGS Archive. Yet hopefully, at the end of the month, the accomplishment of finishing a game will be your greatest prize. For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Jared

Hmm, my idea for a RoN game fits this quite well.... so.... (insert phrase I've said way too often) I might enter this one....

Armageddon

Does it have to be set in the RoN universe? Can I just have a mug that says RoN is number 1 or something? I've never even played the RoN games. :P

Jared

The rules are pretty loose, really - just find ONE character you like from RON and use him as your main character. Considering RON characters include an insane scientist, an FBI agent, a student wizard, and adventuring archaeologist, a pirate, two superheros and the grim reaper the possibilities are quite vast...

Radiant

Hey, no fair, I already wrote a celebration-based game for RON :P

tzachs

Hmm, I always wanted to contribute something to the RON world.
I don't have much free time on my hands, and I also need to refresh my memory and play some games again, so I'm not sure yet, but I am definitely tempted...

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

If anyone wants to use some of my posted sprites for their project they are more than welcome to.

Atelier

Creed Malay

Me and Denzil could possibly be working on a thing.
Mobile Meat Machines - Comics of Animals and Education! - http://meatmachines.livejournal.com/

Ponch

Quote from: Atelier on Sun 13/03/2011 17:21:30
About half way through now. Any takers?

Half way through? What a coincidence! I'm halfway through with the game I'm making. This should be perfectly timed!

Atelier

Ponch

Sooner or later, it had to come to this! Prepare yourself for...
RON vs. OSD

The fine folks of RON have had enough of those snotty Oceanspirit kids. It's time to take them down a peg!

This game features 12 different arenas, 15 opponents, a secret level (with a secret boss fight), a famous Hollywood star as the referee, and the best music the mid 90s techno scene has to offer, all wrapped around a state of the art fighting engine that would have blown your mind back in 1982!

So if you think you're tough enough, step into the ring and decide which gaming universe gets to claim the title of "Greatest AGS Series Evar!!!1!"

(3.5 megs. ZIP Format)

This game was brought to you by the following people: Ponch (big cheese), Kconan (lead play tester and sounding board), and Dualnames (play testing and cheerleader). We'd also like to thank the RON Community for all the sprites, backgrounds, and music assets. We were too lazy to have done this without all your help, guys! :D

Happy Anniversary, RON!

Diath

I have been wondering when a game like this was going to be made. NICE!!!!

Jared

Huh, my first idea was for an OSD crossover I had for a while. But "Pub Master Quest 5000" will go unreleased for a while yet...

I'd actually abandoned that idea for being too time consuming and was planning to make a game called "Happy Deathday" set a day after Davy's death where he is allowed to return home to his funeral for one day just like that Mighty Boosh ep. Unfortunately, he gets sent to the wrong one which is basically a party held by the RoN villains - he then has to foil their plan despite being non-corporeal.

The idea grew on me and I might come back to it, but I've got writer's block and have recently lost my job so now MAGS from me. Again.

Ponch

Quote from: Diath on Thu 24/03/2011 19:01:44
I have been wondering when a game like this was going to be made. NICE!!!!

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it. I put several days of hard work into it ;)

Jared: We demand PubMaster Quest 5000! Now that I know it could exist, I've discovered that I can't live without it! :D

Atelier

Nice one Ponch! Creed, is it possible to have a status report?

Creed Malay

We're still workin' away, and we're fairly confident of making the deadline!

That looks awesome Ponch, about to download - also, oh noes, your game features RPS too! :O Spooky.
Mobile Meat Machines - Comics of Animals and Education! - http://meatmachines.livejournal.com/

Ponch

Quote from: Creed Malay on Sat 26/03/2011 14:37:29
That looks awesome Ponch, about to download - also, oh noes, your game features RPS too! :O Spooky.

You're doing an RON RPS AGS MAGS too? Weird. Of all the three letter acronyms, what are the odds we'd both arrive at RPS?

BTW, FYI You could still do a RON MMO, MUD, FPS, or RTS, IMO. HTH!  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk