AGS Awards 2011 (check the results!)

Started by , Sat 31/12/2011 22:35:12

Previous topic - Next topic

bicilotti

A            
G Awards 2011
S            

Welcome to the AGS Awards, the annual event where the you, the player, choose the best games of the year!

Done!Step # 0 - play them games!
You have some time to play games made in 2011. Don't know where to start? Check the for your consideration thread or the old big database!

Done!
Done!Step # 1 - nomination time!
Select games you deem worthy in each category! Voting is over, check the nominees out!

Done!
Done!Step # 2 - vote, folks!
Pick from the nominees and we get a winner!

Done!
DoneStep # 3 - party!
Big party to celebrate the winners (IRC and live game ceremony)! On Sun 6, May 2012 @ 22:00 BST! Here on how to participate!

Done!

Check the final result here!

Snarky

Ooof! That's an ambitious schedule!

Could we please have more than a couple of weeks to play the nominees?

bicilotti

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 31/12/2011 23:34:08
Ooof! That's an ambitious schedule!

Could we please have more than a couple of weeks to play the nominees?

I've got a schedule to mantain, Mr. Hollywood </Ben Jordan: the movie joke>

Don't worry, I'm always behind schedule, so I won't probably meet this deadline too. :P Keep in mind that the "nominating" phase will also take a couple of weeks.

More in general: I don't want to rush things, so yeah, I'll add some more time.

Radiant

There was some talk in december about bringing back the joke game and manual categories - both classics of the AGS Awards, and removed in recent years. What about them? There was a shortage of game manuals last year, but surely that doesn't mean we'll never get an award for manuals again? There was a controversy about the joke game award several years ago, but surely we're all past that now and can laugh again at such games as Me Go Store and Oceanspirit Dennis?

How about letting the community vote on whether they like having these classic categories?

Chicky

Ghost

Joke games do deserve special mention AFAIC. Manuals are hard to write and show extra effort, and a well-written or funny one clearly adds to a game (think Charly Foxtrot!). My vote says we include both!

BTW the Award thread looks beautiful! So many high-quality entries, all in one year. I remember when you totally owned the forums with a cheap Roger paintover and a non-broken "unlock door" puzzle.

bicilotti

Ok, it seems that more than few people want the Best Tutorial or Documentation award back! So I've added it to the 2011 AGS Awards categories.

A couple of years ago I decided to get rid of it because few people voted and even fewer nominated. So players, please please please, when trying out games, take a moment to appreciate and appraise this aspect.

Radiant

Quote from: bicilotti on Tue 03/01/2012 18:19:43
Ok, it seems that more than few people want the Best Tutorial or Documentation award back! So I've added it to the 2011 AGS Awards categories.

Thank you. What about Best Joke Game, though? Are we seriously still so afraid of that five-year-old controversy that we'll never ever touch that category again? I recall asking the same question last year and not getting an answer either.

bicilotti

Quote from: Radiant on Tue 03/01/2012 18:35:30
Thank you. What about Best Joke Game, though? Are we seriously still so afraid of that five-year-old controversy that we'll never ever touch that category again? I recall asking the same question last year and not getting an answer either.

IIRC in the thread I opened last year there was not sight of consensus, which is something I think it's required for adding any new category.
Personally I am against the p3n15 award, because I find it childish (albeit joyfully so).

Stupot

I possibly wasn't around (or was very new) when this "P3N15" controversy occurred so maybe I'm missing the point, but why not have a category for 'Funniest Game' or 'Best Humor/comedy in a Game' that awards genuine attemtps at making games funny?  This would avoid accusing a game of being a "joke" and upsetting anybody.

LimpingFish

No joke, please. Most of the "Joke Game" efforts in the database are at best pointless, at worse...well, I've a reputation for being a cranky cock when it comes to "Joke" games. Regardless of this, it's not something I think people should strive to win an award for.

I also don't think Oceanspirit Dennis would actually qualify for the category, seeing as most of the non-icey OSD games are actually quite well-made and playable. The joke game category was always a dumping ground for one-screen non-games that had a silly punchline or served no other purpose than to prank the people who played them.

If the "Best Documentation" category is back in - though I can't remember ever having voted in it before, seeing as it's probably one of the last things I would take the time to consider - let's at least change it's name to "Fanciest Documentation", which is really what this category will end up being about.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Radiant

I think people are talking past each other here.

There's the past "P3n1s" award, and there's a hypothetical award for the best joke game. These are not the same thing.

Several people are suggesting the latter would be a good idea (I haven't seen many objections). Several other people are claiming that the former, basically the yearly worst-game award, would be a bad idea (and I haven't seen many objections to that, either). It's just that people are talking about two wholly different things.

It's quite possible that there still isn't a consensus for a joke game category; but let's just be clear on the fact that nobody's suggesting to bring back the p3n1s.

ddq

Both ideas are bad and you should feel bad.

Radiant

Quote from: ddq on Tue 03/01/2012 22:24:00
Both ideas are bad and you should feel bad.

Awww, now you've made me feel bad. You should feel bad about that!

Ponch

Ooh! I want a "Best Documentation" award. My game manuals and walkthroughs are very nice and filled with pictures. No cheesy text files for my games, no sir!  :=

LimpingFish

Quote from: Radiant on Tue 03/01/2012 22:08:39
...let's just be clear on the fact that nobody's suggesting to bring back the p3n1s.

Indeed.

Joke games are, in scope and execution, intentionally silly - or stupid, depending on your point of view. Examples of joke games would be RLBAT, Me Go Home, Lazarus Want's Pants, etc, where the game author is in on the joke.

The p3n1s award was purely about (good natured?) ridicule, usually at the expense of the person who received it. And, if I recall correctly, it wasn't limited to games.

Of the 79 games that fall under "Joke Game" in the database, 76 are one cup games...which would lead me to believe that joke games are, by and large, rubbish. And having a category for celebrating one piece of rubbish over another seems a bit redundant.

(deleted)

(deleted)

Kweepa

nobody's suggesting to bring back the p3n1s.
I am!
I want P3n1s!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Ghost

Quote from: LimpingFish on Wed 04/01/2012 03:19:51
Of the 79 games that fall under "Joke Game" in the database, 76 are one cup games...which would lead me to believe that joke games are, by and large, rubbish.

I have made a joke game* that got three cups...  :-[

Well, p3nis, no. But sometimes there are games that are, let's say, defenitely not meant seriously. Maybe an "upper class" of joke games. They are rare indeed, though, so maybe a category for them would not be justified. Would it be allowed then to enter such a game anyways, and "raise" it to short game or something?

----------
* It was sorted in as one, which is the same, and surely qualifies as one.

Stupot

I think there are some attempts at "Joke" games that pulled off pretty well.  How about Crackwell Unhinged?  That was hilarious.  Fair enough, you could argue that it's going to appear in the 'short game' category anyway, and that if I love it so much I should vote for it... but I might want to use my vote in that category for a more serious game, but still think Crackwell deserves recognition for just being a light-hearted, spoofy piss-take.

I think I did miss the point in my previous post, but I still think (regardless of any "joke/p3n15/worst game" category) that a seperate "funny/humour/comedy" category would be a great idea.

Tabata

Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 04/01/2012 10:37:24
... a seperate "funny/humour/comedy" category would be a great idea.

+ 1             

ddq

If it's a good enough joke game then it's a good enough short game. If not, then it's not good enough. We don't have a "best drama" or "best RPG" or "best gay love story" category. It's not a good idea to start wantonly adding new categories without renovating the existing ones. The major problem I see with the awards is people voting for their favorite game regardless of the category. That should be a higher priority than giving out consolation prizes. Possible solutions could be modifying the existing categories or putting a limit on how many awards one game can be nominated for. Still though, if a game truly is the best, then it deserves to win everything. Personally, I predict a Journey Down-esque sweep for Gemini Rue.

poc301

My vote goes for best gay love story.  I think we could get some hawtness up in here.  Maybe some Ben Jordan meets Larry Vales or something like that.   :o

-Bill

LimpingFish

Quote from: ddq on Wed 04/01/2012 20:59:38
If it's a good enough joke game then it's a good enough short game.
Exactly. The joke game category in the database is usually reserved for games that meet the criteria I mentioned earlier; a one-screen gag that took then minutes to throw together. If you put a lot of time and effort into a joke game, then you're doing it wrong.

Quote from: Ghost on Wed 04/01/2012 06:09:47
I have made a joke game* that got three cups...  Embarrassed
You're doing it wrong. :P

I can change your game's category to "Short" or "Non-Adventure" if you want. Ben Jordan: Paranormal Warrior Within probably exceeds the quality of most joke games too. If we take those two, along with Monkey's IWWHIIWWHITOMIROTPG: The Game!, out of the joke category, we'd be left with a clean sweep of 1 cuppers.

Quote from: ddq on Wed 04/01/2012 20:59:38
Personally, I predict a Journey Down-esque sweep for Gemini Rue.

Ooh, don't get me started on commercial games in the awards. I haven't played Gemini Rue, since I didn't buy it, so I'm not in a position to vote for it anyway.

EDIT: Earlier I said there where only 76 joke games in the database, but there are actually 95 (counting broken links). Still only three that rate more than one cup, though.

cat

About categorizing: should we do a list of games not yet in any category and decide if they are short/medium/full/nonadventure so they are eligible for short/nonadventure category like last year?

I don't know if this messes up the panels workflow of rating games, but I think this is important.

bicilotti

Quote from: cat on Thu 05/01/2012 08:27:09
About categorizing: should we do a list of games not yet in any category and decide if they are short/medium/full/nonadventure so they are eligible for short/nonadventure category like last year?

I don't know if this messes up the panels workflow of rating games, but I think this is important.

Yuppers, same as last year (plus MAGS game and probably joke games too will need similar treatment). I'll ask CJ to set up a mock page so to highlight any inconsistency.

poc301

Quote from: cat on Thu 05/01/2012 08:27:09

That is a good point, Cat.  My game still hasn't been rated, but seems to have gotten generally high ratings by the reviewers.  I'm not sure though that it really matters in the long run since people who play the games will vote for it knowing the kind of game it is.  And since the author (or nominator) is the one responsible for nominating it to the categories he/she believes it is competetive in, it should automatically be listed in the categories it needs to anyway...

Not sure if that made sense, but my brain understands what I'm trying to say lol. 

TL;DR - People who play the games know what categories they are in, and the person submitting the game knows what to ask it to be categorized in.

-Bill

cat

Usually the nomination script only allows to select games that fit in the category i.e. you are not allowed to nominate a full length game in the "best short game" category. That's why the categories have to be correct before the nomination starts. It's not about the ratings, it's about technical issues.

poc301

Ooooohhhh....  I thought the drop-downs were generated statically by whoever creates the voting page.  I didn't know it links to the database of games for the categories.

In that case, I wholeheartedly second your idea :)

Bill

Ghost

Quote from: cat on Thu 05/01/2012 09:57:05
Usually the nomination script only allows to select games that fit in the category i.e. you are not allowed to nominate a full length game in the "best short game" category. That's why the categories have to be correct before the nomination starts. It's not about the ratings, it's about technical issues.

Yikes! Then I need someone to rate COTD before it can be entered? Panel members, seek your heart!

poc301

Yes, and look at Murran Chronicles 3 while you're at it :)

-Bill

(deleted)

(deleted)

cat

Again, this isn't about the ratings at all. It's about defining which of the not yet categorized (or categorized as MAGS, jokegame) games are eligible for "best short game" "best demo" and "best nonadventure game". Medium and full length games shouldn't be affected by that at all. Ideally someone will make a list of the games in question and people who have played them will help to categorize by simply posting their opinion.

Radiant

The simple solution strikes me to edit the nomination script to remove the check so that you can enter any game you like for Best Short Game (after all, you can already enter whatever you like for Best Graphics and so forth).

And then in the unlikely chance that somebody nominates a long game for best short game, have the organizer remove it. After all, it's already possible (but equally unlikely) for someone to nominate a game for Best Music that has no music. I seriously doubt that any entry that really doesn't fit would get enough nominations anyway, so I don't see this as a big issue.

Bogdan

I always wandered why aren't there categories for nominations for best game in genres or in story types...
e.g. Best Sci-fi game
       Best Horror game
       Best investigative game
       Best Fantasy game
       Best fan made game
       Best remake...
etc.

It's just an idea since I noticed everyone discussing about it. ^^

Ali

Well, it would be a lot easier to win in 'Best Social Realist Adventure' than 'Best Comedy Adventure' or 'Best Sci-fi Adventure'.

Radiant

Quote from: Ali on Thu 05/01/2012 17:27:07
Well, it would be a lot easier to win in 'Best Social Realist Adventure' than 'Best Comedy Adventure' or 'Best Sci-fi Adventure'.

Didn't you recommend yourself for "Best Non-Kingdom-Related Adventure" a couple years back?  ;D

LimpingFish

Quote from: hofmeier on Thu 05/01/2012 16:27:10
...but it also seems also unfair for  the panel to soberly analyze 81 games in less than a month.

Well, we can categorize games without playing them, based on database information added by a game's author.

For instance:

The synopsis for Apple Farm, by Cat, tells us that it's a short Hidden object game. So I'd feel fairly confident changing it's category to "Short". Space Quest II is obviously a "Full-Length Game", since it's a remake of a commercial adventure.

Barring this, I can start a panel drive to start rating and classifying as many games as we can in the time left to us.

bicilotti

Quote from: Radiant on Thu 05/01/2012 16:40:09
The simple solution strikes me to edit the nomination script to remove the check so that you can enter any game you like for Best Short Game (after all, you can already enter whatever you like for Best Graphics and so forth).

It seems a very reasonable solution, I'll talk to CJ about it.

The truth is I was making a parallel DB for this year, to ease the nomination/voting | fixing stuff process, but laziness got the best of me.

Regarding new categories: I feel they are many, and having more of them just dilutes the meaning of the awards. Keep in mind that there are not that many games and not that many voters!

I hop I will have time to set up a little statistical analysis of the voting after this year's circus is over, to provide you all a clearer picture of the thing.

Snarky

Quote from: Kweepa on Wed 04/01/2012 05:43:51
nobody's suggesting to bring back the p3n1s.
I am!
I want P3n1s!

I just want the controversy to continue! Let's you and him fight!

Ghost

Quote from: bicilotti on Thu 05/01/2012 19:46:45
Regarding new categories: I feel they are many, and having more of them just dilutes the meaning of the awards. Keep in mind that there are not that many games and not that many voters!

I just realised that the best way would be to give each forum member its own category- and the right to vote for himself!
That would also be the solution to soccer, just give every player their own ball!

On topic, I agree that the categories as they are make sense, and that more categories can result in dilution.
But I can't help it, a "funny entry" would... fun things up. In a fun way.  ;)

Ali

Quote from: Radiant on Thu 05/01/2012 17:51:41
Didn't you recommend yourself for "Best Non-Kingdom-Related Adventure" a couple years back?  ;D

Yes! It's a valid category!

Igor Hardy

Best-Non-Klingon-Related? Sure, the Romulans deserve some Award too.

bicilotti

Good Game playing frenzy!

One little note to avoid confusions in the voters: there are many versions of Indiana Rodent by Radiant et al. (an OROW, a MAGS, a Bake Sale and who knows, maybe more!).

For the AGS Awards 2011 you should play Indiana Rodent - MAGS version, as the bake sale is (yet to be) released in 2012!
forget this

Good luck, developers!

WHAM

When is nomination time?
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

bicilotti

Quote from: WHAM on Wed 25/01/2012 07:41:54
When is nomination time?

We are setting up the nomination page, as soon as it is up I'll open the nomination phase.

WHAM

Quote from: bicilotti on Wed 25/01/2012 08:01:39
We are setting up the nomination page, as soon as it is up I'll open the nomination phase.

Thanks for being awesome, Bici!  8)
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

bicilotti

Quote from: WHAM on Wed 25/01/2012 08:07:26

Thanks for being awesome, Bici!  8)

Thank our benevolent leader! (he's the one who'll set up the thingo) :P

edit: of course, if nothing happens it means our faith is not strong enough and we should all repent :(

WHAM

Quote from: bicilotti on Wed 25/01/2012 08:12:31
Quote from: WHAM on Wed 25/01/2012 08:07:26

Thanks for being awesome, Bici!  8)

Thank our benevolent leader! (he's the one who'll set up the thingo) :P

Thanks for being awesome, Kim Jong-un!  8)

A7A

I'm trying to figure out what happened with the awards. I can't wrap my head around it, are we still in the "playing the games"-phase?

bicilotti

Quote from: A7A on Thu 16/02/2012 17:08:11
I'm trying to figure out what happened with the awards. I can't wrap my head around it, are we still in the "playing the games"-phase?

I am harassing CJ and other powerful people to set up the nomination page. As soon as I am succesfull, you all will be able to vote.

A7A

No, honestly, what's going on? Too many people replayed mass effect 2, drooling over double fines new project, or what? :P

Peder 🚀

The forums went down, and I assume CJ is way too busy to help set up the nomination pages and nobody else is able to do it.

bicilotti

Quote from: Peder Johnsen+ on Mon 05/03/2012 21:32:47
The forums went down, and I assume CJ is way too busy to help set up the nomination pages and nobody else is able to do it.

Basically yes, what Peder said!
But CJ showed me a beta version which was almost perfect (that was yesterday, so we're hopefully there).

Eric

As a new person in these parts, I have a couple of questions.

1. I think, from seeing past winners, that there are different categories. Is there a list of those anywhere to keep in mind while I'm rushing through to play some of these games?

2. Beyond the nomination screen, which just has a single check, are there chances to select what specific categories I'm nominating for?

Ghost

As soon as you click a checkbox to nominate a game, a list of all categories appears. There WAS a list in a thread but the one you get on the vting page is the most recent one.
You can even nominate a game for several categories!

NEAT system, by the way!

Eric

Well, now I feel supremely silly for not trying that extra step. Thanks, Ghost!

m0ds

Awesome! Awards time :D
* m0ds nominates

Wesray

Yay! So nominations will go till the end of March?
THE FAR CORNERS OF THE WORLD: Chapter 2 currrently in the works...

bicilotti

Quote from: Wesray on Wed 14/03/2012 00:42:31
Yay! So nominations will go till the end of March?

Yes, I asked CJ for two weeks and a handful of days, to accomodate for contingt events like PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\Web\AGS\yabb\Sources\Subs.php on line 321

I don't know the exact date though, I will inquire about that from him.

Vote folks!

selmiak

why not bind the nominations to a forum account (perhaps anonymised if preferred) and make it possible to nominate in sessions and even remove nominations rather than nominating out of hundreds of games all at once. Okay, too late for this year and good thing it is possible to nominate at all but an idea for next year.

bicilotti

Quote from: selmiak on Thu 15/03/2012 13:03:58
why not bind the nominations to a forum account (perhaps anonymised if preferred) and make it possible to nominate in sessions and even remove nominations rather than nominating out of hundreds of games all at once. Okay, too late for this year and good thing it is possible to nominate at all but an idea for next year.

Put in my todo list!

bicilotti

Keep coming, voters!

Best Documentation or Tutorial is a bit short on noms count, don't forget about it when choosing your fav games!

bicilotti

quoting myself:

Quote from: myself
Quote from: Wesray on Tue 27/03/2012 02:27:04
Yep, the early end of nominations caught me by surprise too. Didn't manage to nominate any games yet, as I planned to play through a few more candidates first. :(

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 26/03/2012 22:37:30
Is that by design or by mistake? I thought the nominations thread said they'd run to the end of the month?

Mistake (due to asynchronous communication between me and the Man). The noms will close... well, from when CJ set up the forum wide announcement again + 7 days.

bicilotti

So noms are open for ONE MORE WEEK and will close on

April 5, at 23:30

Don't miss your chance to nominate your fav games!

bicilotti

Quote from: bicilotti on Thu 29/03/2012 20:45:23
So noms are open for ONE MORE WEEK and will close on

April 5, at 23:30

Don't miss your chance to nominate your fav games!

Last few hours to nominate, guys & guyettes!

bicilotti

Finally, nomination time is over! You can check the nominees here.

A couple of notes:

• There is no 'best documentation or tutorial category', as no game reached the minimum amount of 5 votes.

• I wanted to release a minigame to reveal the nominees but, as I will be unable to get my paws on a win machine, I scrapped the idea. Many thanks to everyone who offered to help!

I will ask CJ to set up the voting page as soon as possible. Voting will take 3 weeks.

As usual, we need to decide when to have the IRC  Ceremony. Please post here your desiderata as for day of the week / time (GMT).

Congratulations to all of the nominees and to you folks for patiently waiting!

bicilotti

Vote time, folks! Be a good citizen and vote vie the voting page.

voting will close on may 2, 23:30 GMT.

Don't forget to tell us your fav date for the awards ceremony!

SSH

I doubt I'll be able to make it, but have a good ceremony, folks!

Dualnames

I have voted. I want my complimentary ribbon. Also I'm going to say that May 2 is fine date by me, as of now.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Snarky

So you don't need to know the winners in advance in order to customize the ceremony game?

Dualnames

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 12/04/2012 15:43:48
So you don't need to know the winners in advance in order to customize the ceremony game?

No, I just presume every single game has won, we have 24 unique games instead of 30.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

bicilotti

More or less 10 days left!

Keep voting!

pcj

As for the day of the week for the event, I would say probably the weekend would be better.
Space Quest: Vohaul Strikes Back is now available to download!

Stupot

I've voted :)  Knowing I havn't played many games this year and won't have time during the voting period, I decided not to vote in categories where I had played less than half of the nominees. I think that's fairer on my part than just voting Gemini Rue for everything without having played many of the others.

bicilotti

Snsible thinking, Stupot!

Quote from: pcj on Sun 22/04/2012 12:47:16
As for the day of the week for the event, I would say probably the weekend would be better.

Yes, weekend is a must. I thought we could try to have the ceremony at midday or something, to allow not only europeans to follow it. I wonder if there are americans or australians interested, though!

pcj

Icey

I'm def making the IRC after party game this year!

WHAM

So is the ceremony tonight as well, or has the date been set in some other thread?

bicilotti

Quote from: WHAM on Wed 02/05/2012 06:23:24
So is the ceremony tonight as well, or has the date been set in some other thread?

Not tonight for sure! Probably this weekend, stay tuned!

Ghost

Noways! I got late-night shifts this weekend!

I will cry if I miss this! CRY, you hear me, like a Bnding Of Isaac* add-on! Big salty sad ghost tears! (I will have to modify my avatar, too, just so's you can see the tears cried by me in my sad sadness).
-------
* or FarCry

Then again, who needs sleep? I'm lookin' forward to the ceremony!

Snarky

Yeah, damn. If it's any time in the next couple of weeks I almost certainly can't make it, at least not to the in-game ceremony.

bicilotti

Not even sunday, early afternoon?

Ghost

Can't say- my shift's from 2 to 8 so probably not. But I bet someone's going to record it, right?

blueskirt

I voted... only in the Best Animation category but I voted!

cat

Alright, just voted. Last day to vote, people! And remember, you don't have to vote in every category, if you didn't play the games (I think I only voted half of them).

Should we do a doodle to decide on a date for the ceremony?

bicilotti

I thought of holding it early afternoon, on a sunday, so to accomodate europeans and americans alike.
If that's ok with everyone, it can be may 6th or may 13th (depending on how much tweaking dualnames has to do).

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, the doodle idea is awesome!

vote here (all times are British Summer Time)

Tabata

Voting done, doodeling done and now preparing for the ceremony

YEAH â€"“We're gonna have a paaarty ... everybody's goin' to the paaaarty ... “

Hope to see you all!

Ghost

Quote from: Tabata on Thu 03/05/2012 21:21:42Voting done, doodeling done and now preparing for the ceremony

Chose something fetching, I am bringing my best sheets  (laugh)

WHAM

Looking over the doodle, and sunday evening is looking mighty fine for the majority so far with roughly 2/3 doodlers available.

bicilotti

And so it is settled!

22:00 British summer time - AGS Awards 2011 ceremony!
Bold, 20px so you don't forget.
Oh yeah, 6 May 2012 (Sunday!)

Where? On #ags IRC! But how do I join IRC?
Official guide to IRC   or   3 easy steps to IRC

live ceremony game link kindly provided by Dualnames!

Hudders

Haha, a date might be useful... I guess you mean Sunday?

I'm sorry, I mean:

SUNDAY

bicilotti

Monsieur OUXX

British summer time... Will it be the same as GMT?

bicilotti

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Fri 04/05/2012 16:49:02
British summer time... Will it be the same as GMT?

Bloody civil time making things confusing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Summer_Time
To make things even more clear: now it's 16:58 BST (and I fancy a beer)

Hudders

Ali

You mean it agrees with GMT on the internet?

For a non-attention-payer like me, I guess the idea of a multiplayer awards game has been abandoned? Will there still be a game version?

For a non-ARC-person like me, is there a guide to getting started with ARC? For the first time in years I might be at home with nothing to do during the ceremony.

Dualnames

Provided bici bothers posting the link to it, there will be a ceremony game.

Ghost

Quote from: Dualnames on Fri 04/05/2012 22:40:46
vided bici bothers posting the link to it, there will be a ceremony game.

That's all I wanted to hear and it makes me extra happy to hear it from you!

bicilotti

Quote from: Ali on Fri 04/05/2012 21:51:04
You mean it agrees with GMT on the internet?

For a non-attention-payer like me, I guess the idea of a multiplayer awards game has been abandoned? Will there still be a game version?

For a non-ARC-person like me, is there a guide to getting started with ARC? For the first time in years I might be at home with nothing to do during the ceremony.

You should find most of the answers to your questions here http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=45060.msg616761#msg616761!!!

Yes guys, there will be a ceremony game like last year! I cannot thanks Wyz and Dualnames (who has tweaked this year's exe) enough! Link above to download!

Ponch

Quote from: Dualnames on Fri 04/05/2012 22:40:46
Provided bici bothers posting the link to it, there will be a ceremony game.

Thanks for being so awesome, Duals!*  :-*

(*and company)

Anian

Well BST, another acronym...it's GMT+1 in my country, I mean we move the clocks at the same time as the UK does, took me 15min to figure it out...I hate daylight saving system, should be removed..
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Dualnames

http://duals.agser.me/Files/awards.rar

New and Final version. Do not use the old one, just delete. Bicilotti will update the topic hopefully to reflect that.

AGA

Quote from: Dualnames on Sat 05/05/2012 11:14:17
http:\\duals.agser.me\Files\awards.rar

New and Final version. Do not use the old one, just delete. Bicilotti will update the topic hopefully to reflect that.

AGA already did, since he got confused by bicilotti's out of date link.

Dualnames

Thank you, dear sir, but I messed the link, so it's not very clickable. Now after my edit it is, but still not the "ceremony game" in bici's post.

Stupot

Just to check, as I missed last year.  Will the ceremony game connect to IRC straight away, or do I need to download that weird thing?*
*Please understand which weird thing I mean, becasue I don't.

Dualnames

The ceremony game connects to the Awards channel. During silence times it allows chatting unlike the main channel. So no, no you don't need an irc client as well, just the ceremony game will do.

LUniqueDan

I take Max! I take max!
I'm the first one to say so.
I take Max!
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

Ali

I have just tested the ceremony game. IT IS THE BEST THING EVER!

Incidentally, I'm going to choose Kate even though I'm not a girl, because she's the one who looks the most like me.

Knoodn

I've tested it too and met Ali. At first I was confused to see someone there and then I thought: THIS THING IS SO GREAT!!

If I get this BST GMT+1 time thing right, I will join on Sunday as the Swordmaster (even though I'm looking 100% different).

Ali

So we were two men "Chatting" in some kind of "Room" pretending to be women. The early days of the internet are back!

Stupot

Quote from: Dualnames on Sat 05/05/2012 14:36:05
The ceremony game connects to the Awards channel. During silence times it allows chatting unlike the main channel. So no, no you don't need an irc client as well, just the ceremony game will do.
I wasnt on about an IRC client, but some weird thing I remember having to download once before.  But it's okay, I just tested it and whatever that thing was, i don't need it now. Haha.  Can;t wait for the awards.

Tabata

Quote from: LUniqueDan on Sat 05/05/2012 14:47:31
I'm the first one to say so.
I take Max!

Sorry, but I am constantly training to wear this suit for hours   :grin:

But remembering last year there have been a really lot of them and it was fun to play chase and other silly stuff 

Knoodn

@Ali:
Additionally, I had a fake name (in addition to my forum nickname, which is not my real name)!! The internet is strange!

Stupot

Hmm, it worked fine earlier, but I just tried logging in again, and got these two error messages instead
[Edit] Sussed. Plugging my headphones in seemed to solve the problem... I'm on the uni computers so they've probably rigged it that you have to have headphones in to activate the audio, and the Awards exe must need the audio to be activated in order to run.

Deu2000

Could you possibly record the event on video?  :-D

Ponch

Quote from: Deu2000 on Sat 05/05/2012 18:51:54
Could you possibly record the event on video?  :-D

I suppose someone could. But it just wouldn't be the same. Just like Woodstock in '69 or the summer of '77 when Star Wars came out, or IceyDay back in '11 ( '10?), you had to be there, man. You had to be there.  8-)

Akril15

Oh my gosh, this looks awesome -- I am so not going to miss this...

Must refrain from commenting on the really high LucasArts-to-Sierra sprite ratio, must refrain from commenting on the really high LucasArts-to-Sierra sprite ratio...

bicilotti

awards ceremony in one and a half hour!

Ponch

Oh crap! I haven't picked up my tux from the dry cleaners! And I still have to shave!!!  :shocked:

bicilotti

And that was that!

I want to personally thank Duals, qptain_nemo and AGA who greatly helped during the ceremony, all of the announcers and the community. You have been lovely as usual!

For those of you who weren't there, check the result on the AGS wiki!

I would write some more words about the helpfulness of the above mentioned people, but it's 1:38 AM here and tomorrow I got to wake up early for work!
It has been great, thanks!

Ponch

Did anyone record it? Some people were having trouble getting in (or staying in for very long).

Also, congrats to all the winner (mostly jburger  :wink: ) and thanks to everyone behind the scenes who worked to put it together for us.  :cool:

pcj

Yeah...I recorded up until I crashed the first time then I just didn't re-activate it. Good job, all!

m0ds

Congrats to all the winners, all the nominees too, the hosts and organizers!

suicidal pencil

congrats to all! I'm looking forward to the awesome games that'll be made this year for the next award ceremony!...which leads me to my apology: Sorry duallie/Bici/AGA/everyone else for magic-ing myself on stage and saying 'booooooobs'. It lacked class, and I deeply apologize. (I'm serious, but in all seriousness it was kinda funny  :grin: )

olzen

Well, that was fun, boobs included. Wish I could have participated in the whole thing, though.

Congratulations to all the other winners! :grin:

AGA

I have a complete log. I'll post it later, excluding all the joins and parts.

Dave Gilbert

Um, wow. I didn't even realize this was happening yesterday. Thanks for nominating and voting for Gemini and Blackwell! It made my morning. :)

-Dave

Calin Leafshade

For once, I think I can get behind all the awards and nominations as 100% correct.

Well done to both the contenders and the voters.

AJA

AGA, I sure hope that log doesn't contain the after party. :=

Thanks, Bici and Duals and everyone else for organizing this!

NickyNyce

Well done everyone...Thank you to all the game makers (and behind the scenes people) that put lots of their time and effort into making games for everyone in 2011. I'm glad to see that The Visitor got nominated for best puzzles...I neglected to put it up for nominations and appreciate the fact it was even considered...Thank you.

Congrats to all the winners and all those that participated. A special thanks to all the Moderators and people behind the scenes at AGS too.

AGA

Quote from: AJA on Mon 07/05/2012 14:09:59

Don't worry, I won't include all the sex, drugs and rock and roll that happened afterwards.

arj0n

Quote from: AGA on Mon 07/05/2012 14:51:14
Quote from: AJA on Mon 07/05/2012 14:09:59

Don't worry, I won't include all the sex, drugs and rock and roll that happened afterwards.
So you end up with an empty log  :P

blueskirt

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Mon 07/05/2012 13:21:39
For once, I think I can get behind all the awards and nominations as 100% correct.

Well done to both the contenders and the voters.

I don't know, I can think of two games that deserved a nomination in a specific category. But I cast a single vote and didn't nominate so I can't complain.

Victor6

If last night was anything to go by, creating 'lesbian-nymphomaniac adventure' would probably win you 90% of the awards...

Congrats to the winners (I might have to buy Gemini Rue now).

AGA

bicilotti

Quote from: AGA on Mon 07/05/2012 17:20:23
Okay, here's the IRC log of the ceremony.

I like how the last sentence of it all is:

<@bicilotti> NOW LET'S RIOT

There seems to have been a distinct lack of clappiness compared to previous years, or is it just my failing memory?

Ghost

I clapped like hell, but in RL. So maybe you guys didn't hear me.  (laugh)

cat

The clap button in the awards game did play the sound, but not write "clap". I suppose most people used the button.

AGA

Quote from: bicilotti on Mon 07/05/2012 17:56:38
Quote from: AGA on Mon 07/05/2012 17:20:23
Okay, here's the IRC log of the ceremony.

I like how the last sentence of it all is:

<@bicilotti> NOW LET'S RIOT

There seems to have been a distinct lack of clappiness compared to previous years, or is it just my failing memory?

My log actually went on for ages after that, but I thought that was an amusing place to end.

Vince Twelve

Aww, I missed it this year!  Shoot!

Big congratulations to all the winners, especially TheJBurger for all the wins!  And special congrats to Kris and Baron for your well-deserved awards!

Bring it on 2012!

Ponch

Thanks, AGA. Now I can relive both my crushing defeat and Stee's creepy obsession with stalking me for years to come!  (laugh)

Stee

Quote from: Ponch on Mon 07/05/2012 19:28:10
Thanks, AGA. Now I can relive both my crushing defeat and Stee's creepy obsession with stalking me for years to come!  (laugh)

:-D

You shouldn't have moaned about all the characters staring at your screen Ponchy   :P
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

Ponch

See? He's still stalking me. I may have to call the Internet Police!  ;)

kaputtnik

Hooray for all the winners and hooray for the best music award for ~airwave~, and boo to .rar files and Linux netbooks and for arriving just in time for Dualnames completely prohibiting any kind of clapping whatsoever, haha.  :-[ :-*
I, object.

Dualnames

Ishmael, among others, suggested to de-clutter the awards channel from clapping.

Akril15

This was the first AGS Awards ceremony I've ever attended, and I had a terrific time.

Thank you very, very much to the people who voted for Adventure: All in the Game as well as the people who helped to put this event together!

Khris

Damn, that took me completely by surprise! :-D
Thanks a lot for that great award, and congrats to all other winners and participants!

(in case you still don't know what MUC means)

Stupot

It was great fun. I had a gas, even though I should've been writing my dissertation.
Congrats to the winners.

Why isn't there a more general version of the programme?  I mean one that is just for general fun and games rather than just the awards ceremony? This needs to be addressed by those who can... Have multiple rooms including a bar, library, games room etc :-) IT could be amazing  :P

P.S. @Dualnames, where did you disappear to at the end?

Eric

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 08/05/2012 00:27:17
It was great fun. I had a gas, even though I should've been writing my dissertation.

I did chapter corrections, resubmitted and got excellent feedback in return, all during the ceremony.

(What's your field?)

Stupot

Quote from: Eric on Tue 08/05/2012 01:01:36

I did chapter corrections, resubmitted and got excellent feedback in return, all during the ceremony.

(What's your field?)

Cripes. You put me to shame.  I'm researching suicide in Japan.  It's only 6000 words, but I'm so behind and the deadline is the 16th.

Eric

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 08/05/2012 02:30:05Cripes. You put me to shame.  I'm researching suicide in Japan.  It's only 6000 words, but I'm so behind and the deadline is the 16th.

Haha, what level are you writing this dissertation for? For my Ph.D., mine are supposed to be roughly 8,000 word chapters, and I owe seven of those in July with only three done so far (not that it's a contest -- I've had a year and a half already to work on mine!).

EDIT: That 'haha' was meant to imply that I'm not putting anyone to shame, because I'm so far behind, not to laugh at your deadline, or suicide in Japan!

Icey

Can I please get a PM of the source? I asked for it last year but never got it :(

Ponch

Why isn't there a more general version of the programme?  I mean one that is just for general fun and games rather than just the awards ceremony? This needs to be addressed by those who can... Have multiple rooms including a bar, library, games room etc :-) IT could be amazing  :P

THIS! We need the AGS Tiki Lounge and we need it now! I demand a pool and a karaoke machine. Also, we need a neon Larry Vales head over the clubhouse. SOMEONE MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

Also, Duals disappeared through a secret passage to the speak easy underneath the stage. You could have joined us, Stupot, but I guess no one told you the secret password. (Hint: It's Oceanspirit Dennis sent me.)  :cool:

Akril15

Quote from: Ponch on Tue 08/05/2012 04:01:27

THIS! We need the AGS Tiki Lounge and we need it now! I demand a pool and a karaoke machine. Also, we need a neon Larry Vales head over the clubhouse. SOMEONE MAKE THIS HAPPEN!
I would love it if something like that existed! I'd even be willing to contribute some more characters to choose from.

bicilotti

Quote from: Noctis on Tue 08/05/2012 03:59:52
Can I please get a PM of the source? I asked for it last year but never got it :(

You should ask Duals, he for sure has the source.

kaputtnik

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 07/05/2012 21:08:43
Ishmael, among others, suggested to de-clutter the awards channel from clapping.

I am sure there was a very good reason for this, I just wanted to express my "hot damn I'm late for the party and there's dead people in my cake"-feeling I got when I joined the channel, haha.

EDIT: That 'haha' was meant to imply that I'm not putting anyone to shame, because I arrived so late, not to laugh at de-cluttering things, or dead people in cakes!

I, object.

Ghost

Quote from: kaputtnik on Tue 08/05/2012 14:40:48
dead people in my cake"-feeling

Where? Dead people and cake make a good mix!

tzachs

Quote from: Vince Twelve on Mon 07/05/2012 19:23:08
Aww, I missed it this year!  Shoot!

Big congratulations to all the winners, especially TheJBurger for all the wins!  And special congrats to Kris and Baron for your well-deserved awards!

Bring it on 2012!

I wanted to write this word for word!

Tabata

Ooh nooo - come on!
Is there really no recording avaliable from this years ceremony? 
I want to watch it again sooo much.
Also I missed some parts because of situations like my failed „stagediving“   

bicilotti

Quote from: Tabata on Thu 10/05/2012 21:23:02
Ooh nooo - come on!
Is there really no recording avaliable from this years ceremony? 
I want to watch it again sooo much.
Also I missed some parts because of situations like my failed „stagediving“   

There is a log! I am pretty sure Yarcanox logged the whole thing. Dualnames, is it possible to "replay" what has been logged?

Dualnames

I've kept some log, perhaps that'd be useful?
Also no replaying what happened is out of the question.

theo

Just realized I completely missed this. I was 100% intending to go. shucks.  :cry:

Massive gratz to burger though, well deserved! Gemini Rue is pretty much the best point 'n' click experience I've enjoyed in many, many years.

bicilotti

As usual after the awards, it's time to count how many people have voted this year.

Numbers of voters: 89

To add a bit of depth, vote tally by category:

Aaaaaaaaaaaand number of votes cast by user:

A similar tabulation for the nomination phase would have been more interesting but, alas, I am missing the raw data for it.

pcj

Per request, I've uploaded what I captured from the awards to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-hj3UMUmvw

m0ds

How many voters the previous couple of years bici, do you recall?

bicilotti

Mhh not really, but I am pretty sure SSH blogged about it, I will search there.

Armageddon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk