Background Blitz - the Roaring Twenties - We have a Winner!

Started by Misj', Thu 03/05/2012 20:55:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Misj'

The Roaring Twenties

"The Roaring Twenties characterizes the distinctive cultural edge of the 1920s, principally in American cities, but also in Berlin and Paris, for a period of sustained economic prosperity. The phrase emphasizes the period's social, artistic, and cultural dynamism. "Normalcy" returned to politics in the wake of World War I, jazz music blossomed, the flapper redefined modern womanhood, Art Deco peaked, and finally the Wall Street Crash of 1929 ended the era, as the Great Depression set in worldwide." -- Wikipedia

This Blitz we're going to put the Jazz in our drawings as we create a scene from the pre-Wall-Street-Crash-1920's.
You'll have two rules:
1. The scene must be indoors (but there's nothing wrong with windows)
2. It has to depict the upper-class
(3. AGS compatible would be nice I guess)

here and here is some research, and don't forget to search the internet for examples of 1920's fashion for males and females, architecture, and art deco. Because it will be on the exam :)

Have fun everyone!

EDIT: extended for 48 hours. Voting will start the 22th

Eric

Whoa! I'll be able to double dip with this one for the game I'm working on. Maybe. If I can figure out how to draw backgrounds in time!

Dibs on a spot!

EDIT: Hey, one question though -- when you say it has to depict the upper-class, do you mean it needs to be an upper-class establishment? Or does it actually have to contain upper class characters?

Misj'

Quote from: Eric on Thu 03/05/2012 21:42:12
EDIT: Hey, one question though -- when you say it has to depict the upper-class, do you mean it needs to be an upper-class establishment? Or does it actually have to contain upper class characters?
Since this is a background blitz characters are optional  :)

WHAM

Whelp, He Watches takes place in a house built in the late 1920's and I've gathered a bunch of reference material already.
Looks like I'm participating then, possibly with a lovely little lounge, or perhaps an upper class bedroom. This will nicely double as a chance to make progress on the game itself, too!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Misj'

If it slipped your mind to start on a 20's background...only a few more days to go ;)

Eric

Quote from: Misj' on Tue 15/05/2012 08:25:38
If it slipped your mind to start on a 20's background...only a few more days to go ;)

I worked on mine for a long time last night. Not sure if it'll make it by the 20th, but I'll do my best!

LTGiants2000

I'm not an artist but I LOVE the era...I'll have fun watching these submissions. BTW, do you have to participate to be eligible to vote?

Misj'

Quote from: LTGiants2000 on Tue 15/05/2012 17:12:54BTW, do you have to participate to be eligible to vote?
Nope. An AGS-forum login is all you need...

LTGiants2000

WHAM

Work is in progress, floors and walls are done, need to add furniture. Possibly, just for spice, I might also add a dapper gentleman, though he is purely optional.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Eric

Here's a panicky last-minute question: any rules on size/resolution? Just needs to be usable in AGS, right?

Misj'

Quote from: Eric on Tue 15/05/2012 19:08:35
Here's a panicky last-minute question: any rules on size/resolution? Just needs to be usable in AGS, right?
no resolution rules...AGS compatibility is merely a choice.

WHAM

Cuttin' it close and I NEED SLEEP!
Will it be okay if I post on the 20th?

Misj'

Quote from: WHAM on Fri 18/05/2012 23:08:50Cuttin' it close and I NEED SLEEP!
Will it be okay if I post on the 20th?
Considering how often I ask for an extension I really doubt I'm in the position of denying anyone else that request. So I'm extending this 48 hours: Voting will start the 22nd.

Sleep well :)

Eric

Oh god, thanks WHAM. I came here to post that, pretty much, verbatim. Thanks for extending, Misj'.

Yoke 2.0

Pardon me for not announcing my participation before, but I really didn't know I'd participate myself. I've been playing around with SketchUp and really just used the theme of the competition as an assignment for myself.   :)
Also I might have included some unintended anachronisms. I think it looks more like the fifties than the twenties but, yeah...

WHAM

Original background in 2x size:

Allow me to present to you: Lord Wilcox, a dapper gentleman who owns this rather nice game room. Looks like he's taken off his jacket in order to relax with a nice practice game of 9-ball.

Eric

>OPEN LIQUOR CABINET, GET DRUNK

Oh wait...wrong thread. Two great entries. Looks like I've got some stiff competition. I'm still going to need the extra day, as I've scrapped a corner of my background (got rid of mirrors) and am having to learn how to digitally paint bronze. But I got a good night's sleep, so hopefully I'll be able to get some work done when I get home this evening.

Eric

I'm sorry for still not having submitted, guys. My son's teething, and I think they should start every parenting manual with, "The week that your child cuts his first teeth is going to be the longest, loudest, most sleepless week of your life."

I'm going to submit whatever I have finished at the stroke of midnight tonight. It might not be polished, but I don't want to hold up the voting process any further. Thanks for your leniency in extending the deadline, Misj'.

CaptainD

Quote from: Eric on Mon 21/05/2012 22:58:13
I think they should start every parenting manual with, "The week that your child cuts his first teeth is going to be the longest, loudest, most sleepless week of your life."

I think that comes in the NHS handbook straight after "No-one's quite sure what causes Colic and it may be upsetting when your baby cries constantly for no apparent reason, but don't worry, it usually doesn't last more than a few weeks" - !!!  Man that sentence was upsetting.  :-X

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk