Do you use AGS for other stuff than game making?

Started by johanvepa, Mon 31/03/2014 22:16:48

Previous topic - Next topic

johanvepa

Please share with me if you have used AGS for something fun, practical, work-related or otherwise out of the ordinary game making experience.

These past months I've taken a nostalgic liking to ye olde Fighting Fantasy books. Since many of them are completely impossible to play through, unless we're talking "possible" in a purely statistical sense, I took to typing a game maker in AGS that allows me to play and replay the books with AGS managing all the dice rolls and combats and inventory gathering of particular books (some of them took literally hundreds and hundreds of playthroughs without cheating).

Anyway, AGS has inspired me to use its code for other means, and I was wondering if any of you have funny stories to tell of what you've used it for.

Marion

Yes, sometimes I use it to make videos. I have made some cartoons for my private use :)

Andail

Radiant

I suppose one could write a spreadsheet program in AGS?

Retro Wolf

I've considered making a comic, the player would click to turn the page or move to the next frame.
There's also the possibility of making it interactive in some way, but this borders on AGS's intended use anyway.

Stupot

I made a little desktop clock thing some time ago... but it was pretty useless considering the fact that most people already have a clock on their desktop.
The plan was to make a whole calendar/planner thing too, but that didn't happen.

Billbis

I am not sure I should denounce him, but some times ago Kitai has made a module to use Regular Expressions within AGS. :=
http://adventuregamestudio.fr-bb.com/t2162-expressions-regulieres

johanvepa

Quote from: Billbis on Fri 04/04/2014 07:47:57
I am not sure I should denounce him, but some times ago Kitai has made a module to use Regular Expressions within AGS. :=
http://adventuregamestudio.fr-bb.com/t2162-expressions-regulieres

What are regular expressions?

Snarky

Oh, oh! I never get to use this button: [lmgtfy]regular expression[/lmgtfy]

Radiant

Ghost

I keep notes in AGS. I made a shell game with a character standing there all lonely in a desert, and he will randomly quote my notes, which are essentially hard-coded.
It's delightfully useless.

I'm also still using CrystalShard's HYPNOTOAD. So relaxing.

Monsieur OUXX

The AGS Awards ceremony is the best example: it's not a game, it's a chatroom. And its rocks.

Secret Fawful

I'll be honest. Using AGS is the only thing that can get me hard.

miguel

Working on a RON game!!!!!

Tournk

I tried to make a calculator after I started learning how to program. It was very hard and I never made it work, let alone finished it.
Reaction is always funny.

mkennedy

I made a tiny program to calculate planetary density and gravity if you give the planets mass and radius in relation to Jupiter's (IE 0.6 Jupiter radii and 1.8 Jupiter mass).

monkey424

My work involves drilling boreholes at various sites for geotechnical data (i.e. dirt). I don't drill the boreholes btw - we engage local shit kickers for that! Anyway, I recently undertook an unusual job on top of a mountain to collect some geotechnical rock data (and some dirt). I won't go into details but we had to drill near some existing infrastructure to determine foundation conditions for proposed upgrades. Going into the job half blind does not help, and to date we have only completed half the work. Our drill rig could not access one particular location near the infrastructure. Today I was showing the boss some of the photos of the horrible site to ponder our next move. A virtual tour of the site would have been ideal, and could be achieved using AGS!

........But, why stop there? Why not throw in a puzzle - get the drill rig to the hotspot! Now, it's a game!  :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk