MAGS November: "Night-Time" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Thu 31/10/2013 14:49:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

This month's winner was Eternal Chrysalis by selmiak and CaptainD (music by Emont).

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic: 'Night-Time'

This month's guidelines were set by Fitz:

A solar eclipse? A curse cast on the entire kingdom? Or just an ordinary night resulting from the sun hiding below the horizon? You decide. You name the time and the place the story is set. Ancient Inca city? A magical kingdom? New Jersey! All that matters is it all happens at night -- which might be your ally (say, in carrying out a store robbery), your foe (imagine you're a small, furry creature that big feathery creatures love to hunt at night) - or a trap (if, for example, you're lost in the woods). Go! You have until dawn!

Ending 30th November

__________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Retro Wolf

I'm going to enter this month also.

I've been lacking in the motivation department for a while now. So I figured a deadline would get me going.

Some early artwork:

[imgzoom]http://i44.tinypic.com/2j6a6bd.png[/imgzoom]

I'm not sure what direction I'm going in, but I've got a few ideas!

UPDATE 2nd NOV:
GUI = 95%
Main Character animation 80%
3 character designs (No animation, just standing)
Story ideas smashing together in my head.

CaptainD

Don't be too alarmed, but there is a fairly good chance that Selmiak and myself will be teaming up for this one.  If I don't post anything else, you can take it that the whole idea fell through!

Retro Wolf

I hope it works out Captain! We need more entrants to keep things interesting!

Adeel

CaptainD, I'm getting scared. How will I win now? :P

selmiak

if anyone want to contribute some nice music please contact me or CaptainD. Will probably post a recruitment thread in a week or so, depending on how it works out...

Fitz

Woohoo! Glad to see more folks warming up to this month's contest :) Good luck, everyone! If you have any questions or if you need suggestions/inspiration, let me know.

Ghost

I think I have a silly little idea. Screenies to follow!

Lewis

So like, I don't want to flake out again, and as such am not committing to entering this.

On a completely unrelated and not-committal note, here are some work-in-progress screenshots of a thing (using placeholder character art atm)

Returning to AGS after a hiatus. Co-director of Richard & Alice and The Charnel House Trilogy.

CaptainD

@Adeel - well let's just see if we can get this game made first!
@Oldschool - thanks, I've wanted to take part in a MAGS for ages, even though I think the idea of making an adventure game in a single month is complete madness. :-)

BTW we have a title for our game now - Eternal Chrysalis.

Without saying too much, the plot involves ancient Egyptians and time travel. 8-)

Ghost

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 04/11/2013 22:19:59
...even though I think the idea of making an adventure game in a single month is complete madness. :-)

Madness and game-making mix well, Capt'n! (nod)

Fitz

Oh yes, I attest to that, Captain: it is insanity, indeed. Mad in every way. But you need something like it once in a while, something to raise your pulse and get you out of the stupor of everyday :) Some get that from mountain climbing or cart racing (my dad!). Me, I love doing creative stuff. And baking buckwheat bread (I swear, bread making is like taking care of a baby!)

Ghost: Glad to see you here, you seem to have a lot of experience in making night-themed games!

Lewis: Very happy to see you not committing, as well ;)

Adeel

@Adeel - well let's just see if we can get this game made first!

To be very honest, I'm very unsure that whether I will be able to complete this game off or not. All the credit goes to my very 'n00b' art skills :~(. It is costing me a lot of time to actually draw something which don't make your eyes bleed. :-X

Btw, great work, guys. :)

Retro Wolf

I honestly thought that entering MAGs would get my creative juices flowing again. But it seems that whenever I sit at my computer, I've got no interest, no motivation at all, and for some reason it doesn't even bother me.

I havn't been productive since I finished Reality Check 3, and that was in March. I've started 10+ projects in various engines since then, none of them anywhere near finished. I spend so much time on my computer and accomplish nothing. I also spend too much time on this forum, it borders on obsessive.

So I'm going to take a step back for a while, I have an 18 month old son to be bonding with. I'm out. The rest of you, good luck with your projects. :)

@Adeel: I'll sort you out with character art, PM me.

Fitz

Yeah, that little Preschool Wolf definitely needs your attention :) Don't worry about other stuff, inspiration and motivation are things that come and go -- and come back again when they feel like it (not always when YOU feel like it, hehehe). Happens to me all the time! Haven't started anything new since Monty, and I have a ton of things I put away for later. But I'll get to it -- and so will you :)

Radiant

thanks, I've wanted to take part in a MAGS for ages, even though I think the idea of making an adventure game in a single month is complete madness. :-)
Madness??
Spoiler
This! Is! SIERRA!!!
[close]

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Radiant on Tue 05/11/2013 23:39:50
thanks, I've wanted to take part in a MAGS for ages, even though I think the idea of making an adventure game in a single month is complete madness. :-)
Madness??
Spoiler
This! Is! SIERRA!!!
[close]
Spoiler
I get the feeling we'll never get tired of the silly "Sparta from 300" joke.
[close]

Adeel

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Fri 08/11/2013 15:37:19
Madness??
Spoiler
This! Is! SIERRA!!!
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Actually, I've gotten tired of these Sparta jokes. This is what I feel inclined to do, whenever I hear a Sparta joke these days:

(roll)
[close]

selmiak

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Fri 08/11/2013 16:30:37
Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Fri 08/11/2013 15:37:19
Madness??
Spoiler
This! Is! SIERRA!!!
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Actually, I've gotten tired of these Sparta jokes. This is what I feel inclined to do, whenever I hear a Sparta joke these days:

(roll)
[close]
Spoiler
Emo Level: Over 9000!
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk