something looks wrong... I need some opinion with the sprite art

Started by Jury_Rigged107, Wed 22/07/2015 16:51:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Jury_Rigged107

I mean the character is scaled with the door and yet he looks small....

Retro Wolf

Make him bigger, he looks like a kid that can't reach the desk. The door is too small I'd say.

Alternatively make everything else smaller, though that would be a shame because it's a nice background.

Grok

Two things that you could do.

1. Lower the desks and stuff a bit. The bottom line of the desks should be under the line where wall and floor meets. Otherwise they look like they are painted on the wall rather then being in the room. This also will help a bit with the size problem. The desks seems to be closer to the character.

2. You could change the bottom line for the side walls so they are less steep. This way the character don't look like he is so far from the back wall. The eye therefore is not expecting the character to be much bigger because it is far from the back wall.
Or you could go the other way and get more of a birds view, in which case you need to see the top of the desks.

ollj

it lacks perspective. all these furnitures anf books are shown in perfect parallel front view, and they seem to stand very close to the wall behind them.
->they all must be carboard cutouts. poor guy got pranked by his co workers.

CatPunter

Hey there!

Interesting layout you have. It's very flat but with the right fiddling around you can do a lot of really neat things with it. I think what's the biggest issue is the scale is off - a lot of background elements rely on being proportionate to the character, or else you get stuff like the shotgun being taller than the character when they lay down beside it! Jury Rigged has the right idea, but I think a few background elements are still a bit too big. Try this out for size.

Also, as a sidenote, with pixel art like this try to always save as a png. It'll keep it from getting artifacts and looking fuzzy.

Art Director and Lead Artist for "Kate and Shelly Stick Together"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk