Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 1353 times)

KyriakosCH

• Alien spiral maker
    • I can help with backgrounds
    • I can help with story design
    • I can help with translating
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #40 on: 21 May 2020, 22:25 »
I can't find an english translation of Robert Walser's Jacob von Gunden book (I do have an english translation of it, which I bought in London as a student, but I'd expect by now the internet to actually help not not have to look for stuff in your library :/ ).

Envy can ruin a man; try the Chrysalis... Read articles in my Patreon!

KyriakosCH

• Alien spiral maker
    • I can help with backgrounds
    • I can help with story design
    • I can help with translating
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #41 on: 06 Jul 2020, 10:06 »
Reread "The Gospel according to Marc", by Borges.
Seems to be his last decent story (I personally dislike "The Book of Sand"), and in the prologue of the collection one finds the author's note that the story was inspired by a dream of someone else (like his earlier story, Emma Zunz).

The story itself is nice. A student arrives at the pampa, the vast plains of Argentina, and cannot leave due to a flood. His only company are three workers of the land, employees of his cousin (the cousin invited him, then left to the city). The student is curious enough to start reading parts of the bible to the silent and illiterate farmer family, and this leads to a disastrous misunderstanding - cause they end up thinking he is Jesus and his death on the cross will save them.

I like that the student doesn't fight back. He isn't active and seems to live in a dream, expecting to return to Buenos Aires. The almost feral farmers, on the other hand, are calculative enough to provide themselves with a reason to hate him enough so as to make the murder possible - but the murder only happened because they convinced themselves it is an act of their salvation.
Envy can ruin a man; try the Chrysalis... Read articles in my Patreon!