Trumpmageddon

Started by Stupot, Wed 09/11/2016 08:21:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Quote from: manifest class on Sat 23/09/2017 08:55:43
Trump's approach is really a unique one, even for him. It almost makes you wonder if there is some ulterior motive

Almost could make you wonder...but not quite...

Trump has no motives other than waking up and seeing his name on the TV news (because god-forbid he ever reads a printed word) and then tweeting whatever the frick he feels like at that exact moment.

I still honestly feel like I am in a really bad dream that I can't wake up from and have felt that way since November last year...

And it just keeps getting worse... :~(

milkanannan

I guess so. I don't feel I have too many parallels with Trump, and thoughts like (1) nuclear war and (2) American isolationism do scare me (historically those two things never went together, but somehow Trump has found a way!); however, what equally scares me is if Trump gets forcibly removed from office because he's unpopular. You can't simply pluck a democratically elected leader away because you don't like them. Anarchic arrangements should be left to the Egypts and Somalias of the world, where democracy is switched on when it's convenient and off when it's not.

Ali

Quote from: manifest class on Sat 07/10/2017 05:38:57
You can't simply pluck a democratically elected leader away because you don't like them.

Unless you're the CIA...

Scavenger

Quote from: manifest class on Sat 07/10/2017 05:38:57however, what equally scares me is if Trump gets forcibly removed from office because he's unpopular. You can't simply pluck a democratically elected leader away because you don't like them.

Actually, that is the function of democracy - democracy isn't "oh well, now we're stuck with an emperor for four years" after you vote. It's a constant, ongoing process. And if the leader isn't fit to lead, you replace them. Trump is unequivocally incompetent. Removing him would safeguard the safety of everyone AND uphold democracy. Especially since he's skirted with fascist policies multiple times.

Radiant

Quote from: manifest class on Sat 07/10/2017 05:38:57You can't simply pluck a democratically elected leader away because you don't like them.
There's a legal process for that, it's called "impeachment".

That said, in the unlikely case that this happens (since his own party controls the majority vote), he would get replaced by Pence. If you look at Pence's philosophies and vote pattern, then that would likely make the situation worse.

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Radiant on Sat 07/10/2017 10:44:00
he would get replaced by Pence. .

And all of a sudden it make sense why he choose Pence... 8-0
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Ali

Pence may be more predictably grim, but he's lacking entirely in charisma and media savvy. Trump's election was one in which symbolism outweighed facts. In terms of symbolism, if Trump doesn't face a Nixonian comeuppance, it will be a real tragedy.

milkanannan

But on what grounds would he be impeached?

Ali

I'm not assuming he's done the thing he'll be impeached for YET.

Radiant

Quote from: manifest class on Sat 07/10/2017 15:46:46
But on what grounds would he be impeached?

The Mueller investigation, once it concludes.

Scavenger

Honestly the fact that a president can't be impeached for gross incompetence alone is a bad sign. It seems the more power a position wields, the less accountability you have. If Trump was working at a minimum wage job and showed the same incompetence he'd be fired day one.

milkanannan

^So the argument is that the impeachment process be based on your personal opinion of the president?

Mandle

As much as I dislike Trump I gotta admit he got a good one off today:

"Why would Kim Jong-un insult me by calling me "old," when I would NEVER call him "short and fat?" Oh well, I try so hard to be his friend - and maybe someday that will happen!"

Channelling Churchill?!

milkanannan

^Yeah I had to laugh at that too. Although pretty scary that this name calling could lead to someone getting nuked.

Bavolis

A lot of his fans are cheering for this "burn," but it's pretty frightening when you realize his skin is so thin that anybody can throw a jab at him and he will not be able to shrug it off. That includes world leaders, reporters, and even the families of fallen soldiers. To me, that's somebody who is extremely easily manipulated. A global power without a poker face.

Mandle

Oh, I never said it was an appropriate "Presidential" thing for him to say. It is shockingly UN-Presidential. That's part of what makes it so damn funny and, yes, scary at the same time.

Snarky

Surprisingly, the qualities that make for an effective internet troll don't necessarily make a good president. Who'd've thunk?

Blondbraid

I recently read this article about Michael Wolff's Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House, and while I highly doubt its authenticity,
it's by far the best thing I've ever read about Trump: https://www.themarysue.com/trump-and-the-gorillas/ (laugh)

Matti

Blondbraid, the gorilla thing was a joke ;)

QuoteAs it turns out, though, the idea is so believable that a whole lot of people actually did buy that this was a real page from Wolff's book.

RickJ

It just shows how easily people are misinformed and will believe anything that supports their own preconceived notions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk