How to make the standard AGS LucasArts-style dialog transparent?

Started by Hangman3D, Tue 21/03/2017 10:55:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Hangman3D

I have a question about the standard AGS LucasArts-style dialog I'm using.
Is there an easy way to make the dialog background transparent (50%) instead of black?

I've tried many things but without any luck.

AGS (3.4.0) General Settings:
----------------------------------
Speech style: Lucasarts
Use GUI for dialog options: 0

Here's a screenshot of what it is now:

Hangman3D

I tried making a "New Text Window GUI" with a transparent image as background. It works in a way that I now have the dialog GUI floating in the middle of the screen instead of on the bottom of the screen (where I want it). And even with the SetPosition/SetSize I'm not able to get it to the bottom in the way I want it and it also doesn't scale to the amount of dialog options a conversation has.

Any ideas?

Snarky

Quote from: Hangman3D on Tue 21/03/2017 11:49:47
I tried making a "New Text Window GUI" with a transparent image as background. It works in a way that I now have the dialog GUI floating in the middle of the screen instead of on the bottom of the screen (where I want it). And even with the SetPosition/SetSize I'm not able to get it to the bottom in the way I want it and it also doesn't scale to the amount of dialog options a conversation has.

This sounds like you're on the right track. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to position it at the bottom (if you can't get it to work, post your code), and even if it doesn't scale automatically I'm pretty sure that's something you can script.

Crimson Wizard

Hmmm... try using normal GUI instead of TextWindow one. Maybe TextWindow GUIs cannot be normally used for Dialog Options, but only for the speech. I always get confused by this part.

Khris

I haven't tested this but IIRC, you need to

a) create a standard GUI with visibility Normal+Off, set its backgroundcolor to 0, then position it where you want it to appear (e.g. left: 0, top: 150)
b) set it as Dialog GUI in the General Settings
c) create the same GUI a second time but set the backgroundcolor to black, then set the opacity to 50%
d) set the z order of both GUIs so the main one appears on top of the black one
e) add this to your global script
Code: ags
function repeatedly_execute_always() {
  gDialogBG.Visible = gDialog.Visible;
}

where gDialog is your main GUI and gDialogBG is the 50% opacity GUI.

abstauber

Or you just snatch the custom dialog module out of the 9 verb template.
That way you also get scrolling support and alpha transparancy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk