MAGS October "Room of Fear" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Sat 30/09/2017 23:55:10

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game for MAGS October?

Fearaphobia by Slasher
0 (0%)
Moonlight Moggy by Pilchard
7 (50%)
The Frame on the Wall by Hortencya12 and Blondbraid
0 (0%)
Grizzly Goose of Gosse by Smarty
6 (42.9%)
Just You and Me by Glenjamin
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: Wed 15/11/2017 23:57:33

Stupot

The voting is over and the winner of MAGS October is:

Moonlight Moggy by Pilchard.

Well done Pilch. You'll be contacted soon about choosing a theme for December.

Thanks to all participants and voters.

Fearaphobia by Slasher
The Frame on the Wall by Hortencya and Blondbraid

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

Please use the poll above for voting.

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: November 15th

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic: Room of Fear
This month's guidelines proved by HanaIndiana.

Halloween is my favorite time of year, so I'm excited to be able to pick the October theme!

This month, your game needs to feature one (or more) of your OWN fears.

If you are working as a team, you can choose to include a fear from everyone, or just one, it's up to you.

But wait, there's more :shocked:
As an extra challenge, the game must take place in just ONE ROOM. Title screens, credits and cut scenes don't count towards the "one".

Now don't be scared, you can do it!

Deadline: October 31st

Funkpanzer

We're past games needing to be fun, right? (wtf)

Mandle

There's my number one fear in the picture montage: bottom right!

Hidden due to length:
Spoiler

I'm terrified of heights, or rather of falling or seeing someone fall from a height. I'm fine if there is some kind of uncrossable barrier between myself/them and the drop. I can look down from any height just fine as long as there is a window/fence/high-enough railing. One of my worst things is when people sit on walls/railings with a massive drop behind them. If I see someone I don't know doing that at a party or somewhere I just leave and go home. If it's someone I know I will keep telling them to get down and if they don't I will leave. I have broken up with a girlfriend in the past because of this exact issue. She was drunk and wouldn't get down from sitting on the wall of the edge of a 7-storey roof. I could see that she was enjoying watching it make me squirm, but couldn't appreciate that inside I felt the cold, horrible dread that only a phobic knows and understands. It feels like you are dying. I went home and then the next day told her we were splitsville.

Amazingly, I was actually at a party where a dude was doing the exact same thing on the roof of a 3-storey house. He was drunk and sitting on a railing with his back to the drop. I left and went home. Soon after I heard that he did in fact fall backwards off the railing. He hit some powerlines on the way down and, amazingly once again, not only did not get electrocuted but the powerlines slowed his fall momentarily, and flipped him to save him from a head-first landing on the road below. He survived just fine with a broken jaw and some broken ribs. So my party-leaving policy was even more firmly cemented after that.

And I know exactly where my phobia comes from, which is a rare thing I guess:

WARNING: The following account gets pretty intense. There is a lot of physical injury, blood, and horrible emotions:
Spoiler

When I was about 7-8 years old I went to the beach with a friend's family. He was fanatical about climbing stuff and started climbing a cliff. He got probably about 8-10 meters up the cliff and then lost his footing and fell, hitting several outcrops on the way down and landing on a flat rock at the base of the cliff, which was surrounded by soft sand, of all the luck. I saw the whole thing and still cannot forget the images and sounds. I can see and hear everything all over again as I type this. There was a massive pool of blood spreading out from around his head. His mother was still calmly sunbathing, maybe dozing, but screams from people (not from me. I was just standing there stunned.) made her sit up and she saw what had happened and ran screaming to where my friend lay. People stopped her from moving him but she still touched his head and body and got blood all over her hands and face in the process. Soon the ambulance guys showed up and strapped him to a back-board and carried him away. He was in hospital for about 2 months and had two or three operations on his head to put in metal plates (his skull had shattered into three seperate pieces if I remember correctly). Later I heard that he died twice on the operating table during the first emergency operation but was revived both times. The happy ending is that he did survive and did not suffer any major permanent brain damage or otherwise. His speaking speed was a little slower than before for quite a while but returned to normal eventually. And he didn't stop climbing things either, but only out of sight of his mother who would have killed him herself if she had known. I never told on him but always tried to talk him out of climbs and when he wouldn't listen I would just leave and go home if there were other kids there. Otherwise I felt forced to stay just in case, all the while feeling that horrible phobic "dying inside" reaction. Needless to say, we didn't stay close friends for much longer.
[close]

Of course, us humans "love" to take out traumatic and/or gruesome memories and reexamine them over and over. And of course, I often have dreams about people I know and love falling from heights and always being powerless to stop it. Never quite get there in time, or end up falling as well myself. Had this exact dream just a few nights ago.

So this MAGS would be right up my alley, but I doubt I will have time during October to make anything. But something brief might be possible, probably including elements from my own experiences above.
[close]

Slasher

Once you've kissed death you fear nothing...

Still, I will have to cast my mind back 50 or more years ago to recall what I feared then (laugh)

Hopefully you can count me in....

Riaise

Ooh, using just one room is an interesting twist. I'm intrigued to see what everyone comes up with!

Mandle: 8-0 Wow, that must have been awful. I'm scared of heights/falling too, but I don't know where it came from. I've been afraid of it for as long as I can remember.

Glenjamin

Tricky topic. I FEAR NOTHING. 8-)

I think I'll give this one a shot. I've got a decent idea.

HanaIndiana

Nice Glenjamin :) Then your game would be about NOTHING! Like an episode of Seinfeld? Is that right?
And Funkpanzer, that looks absolutely frightening. Would it just be a button you push to scream, but nothing comes out? Now I'm scared.

Hortencya12

Hi
This is the first competition here I enter, it seems like you got an interesting theme, since fear is such a subjective thing.(Everyone fear different things).

Blondbraid

I'm working with Hortecya12 and doing the grapics this time around,
but it'll be fun to see what you others come up with! :)

Slasher

I'm doing about the fear of fear...Fearaphobia (laugh)

"When nightime draws in and light dissapears
you are left on your own to face your fears.
Things that go bump give you a freight
hang on tight cause tonight is the night...."

Is that the floorboards squeaking or the hinges of the gate...
or the ghost of Benny milkman rattling his crate? (laugh)

Scream and scream again.........(laugh)

Riaise

I was curious, so I looked it up and apparently the fear of fear is actually "phobophobia". So there you go. (laugh)

Slasher

Quote from: Riaise on Sat 07/10/2017 10:38:19
I was curious, so I looked it up and apparently the fear of fear is actually "phobophobia". So there you go. (laugh)
Alright smart ass.. I was using mine as the title 8-)

Riaise

HanaIndiana

A game about the fear of fear is very intriguing!
And welcome to your first MAGS, Hortecya12. I find them quite fun yet challenging, hopefully you do to. And I hope both you and Blondbraid contribute a fear to your game.. the more the merrier. (laugh)

Glenjamin

How about "Fear of running properly"; when you run the setup wizard it crashes (laugh)

Slasher

QuoteHow about "Fear of running properly"; when you run the setup wizard it crashes
We've all had that fear (laugh)

Meanwhile:

How much fear can a young lad take before he want's to climb in with mum and dad? (laugh)

Or maybe he can beat his fear of fear :)

Game progress: 70%

Slasher

Hi

My entry for this month is basically done. Just a few tweaks then it's good to go (nod)(nod)

Blondbraid

While we're on the topic of fear and phobias, there are some pretty bizarre phobias out there, like:

Ailurophobia â€" fear of cats
Koumpounophobia â€" fear of buttons
Pogonophobia â€" fear of beards
Pedophobia, paedophobia or pediaphobia â€" fear of babies and children
Tetraphobia â€" fear of the number 4
Xanthophobia â€" fear of the color yellow
Lusophobia â€" fear of the Portuguese, Portuguese culture and the Portuguese language
Papaphobia â€" fear of the Pope

It would be interesting to see someone try to make a horror game out of one of those topics!

Creamy

A classic :

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 09/10/2017 20:00:54
While we're on the topic of fear and phobias, there are some pretty bizarre phobias out there, like:

Ailurophobia â€" fear of cats
Koumpounophobia â€" fear of buttons
Pogonophobia â€" fear of beards
Pedophobia, paedophobia or pediaphobia â€" fear of babies and children
Tetraphobia â€" fear of the number 4
Xanthophobia â€" fear of the color yellow
Lusophobia â€" fear of the Portuguese, Portuguese culture and the Portuguese language
Papaphobia â€" fear of the Pope

It would be interesting to see someone try to make a horror game out of one of those topics!

What about coulrophobia (sp?), the fear of clowns?

Slasher

Well, there is no reason why you guys can't enter seeing as you know many phobias (laugh)

Get stuck in (nod)

Slasher

Disaster hits the Slasher household....

Coffee spilt on keyboard. Wiping keyboard broke several keys...keyboard a bit unstable.. :(

I have had to take out several events because of keys... I think it just barely meets with a release as what is left still works...

I do have a separate keyboard but only 1 USB works and that is for the mouse wireless...

If anyone in the England has a cheap spare laptop let me know.

cheers
Slasher

Smarty

Hey there people... mind if we join the contest this month?
The kids and I have come up with our own little hand-drawn, one-room game. :-D

Cassiebsg

Outch, sorry to hear that Slasher. :~(
How about getting a cheap usb hub? That way you could have your mouse and keyboard?
Hope the coffee won't damage the laptop though (not just the keyboard I mean).

Smarty, jump right in, as long as you use AGS then anyone is encouraged to make a game(or several). :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: Smarty on Fri 13/10/2017 13:39:24
Hey there people... mind if we join the contest this month?
The kids and I have come up with our own little hand-drawn, one-room game. :-D

Sounds wonderful!

Welcome indeed!

Riaise

Oh, sorry to hear that, Slasher. :( I hope you get it sorted out in time to finish!

That sounds like a nice game, Smarty. I look forward to playing it! :)

Slasher

I think my entry will count..

I may also hold the record for the shortest game (possibly)...

I want that Crown (laugh)

Smarty

Cool! We are working on it (nod)
So far we have the basic frame-work/story-line with 1 background, essential characters, a small inventory, some simple puzzles,
home-made sound effects AND..... FULL TALKIE!!  Voiced by yours truly and my 5 year old son. :)
Looking forward to seeing the other entries this month. ;)

Thanks for having us!

BTW: Slasher, sorry to hear it man.  Your last game rocked!

Pilchard

Great guidelines!  I fancy making a one-room game and wish I had time to take part. At the moment it's not looking likely, but looking forward to playing all your games (and hopefully not developing new phobias) come Halloween.

Glenjamin

As usual I start with a good idea and it ends up a weird bloated mess (wrong)

Time to break out the whiteboard and fix this!

Slasher

Has anyone got something to show (nod)

Less than two weeks to go...

Smarty

QuotePosted by: Glenjamin  » Date: 18 Oct 2017, 17:52 Insert Quote
As usual I start with a good idea and it ends up a weird bloated mess (wrong)

Time to break out the whiteboard and fix this!

That's exactly what we did today, and what a difference!  Thanks for the whiteboard idea Glenjamin!
:grin:

QuotePosted by: Slasher  » Date: Today at 08:35 Insert Quote
Has anyone got something to show (nod)

Less than two weeks to go...

Slasher we have a real homemade special here with artwork and voice-acting done by our whole family.
So.. it might be a bit of a cobble together, but it works.
Can't wait to see what you've got! (laugh)

Slasher

Hi Smarty,

well, my entry has been dogged but I will still go ahead with the release as it's still playable + working on 3 other games which has limited my time...

Your entry could be a winner...

We'll have to see ;)

Good luck to all (nod)

Slasher

I have decided to add my entry...

It's Halloween night and again you face your fear of fear...

When night-time draws in and light dissapears
you are left on your own to face your fears.
Things that go bump do give you a freight
hang on tight cause tonight is the night....

How quick can you curb your fear of fear or will you go running to mummy and daddy?

One roomed horror-show...

Download Fearaphobia

If you have the bottle (laugh)

HanaIndiana

Woohoo! I'm going to play it late at night, in a dark room, for the full effect.

Shadow1000

Quote from: Slasher on Mon 23/10/2017 09:03:05
I have decided to add my entry...

I played the game and it is a REALLY good piece of work. The environment of comedy/horror is implemented really well. Nice and unique gaming experience, combining some puzzles with a meter, making the timing the most important part of the game.

Even the name is clever.

Considering that your keyboard was messed up a week and a half ago, very impressive entry!

Cheers

Pilchard

Well done on completing your game, Slasher - I look forward to playing it soon!

I've found some time to work on an entry for this month after all. Here's a screenshot detail from my work-in-progress...

Slasher

I love the art-style Pilchard...

Pumpkin and a black cat.. what more could you ask (laugh)

I really hope to see and play your entry... (nod)

Thank you Shadow1000 for your comments on Fearaphobia (nod)

PS: I'v just managed to disable F5/F7/F9 and have uploaded revised build.

Slasher

Glenjamin
Pilchard
Smarty

Come on, show us your wares (nod)

Why are we waiting? You have me under the covers (laugh)

Smarty

QuotePosted by: Slasher  » Date: Today at 12:13 Insert Quote
Glenjamin
Pilchard
Smarty

Come on, show us your wares (nod)

Why are we waiting? You have me under the covers (laugh)

Mwooh hah ha ha ha! :-D
Just adding a few more touches...
Will release right on halloween for extra effect.. :-[
Not really, just need all the time we can get!
All will be revealed in time. :X
BTW Slasher et al, We're resisting downloading and playing your game until the release so we don't spoil ours ;)

Smarty

I feel a little silly asking about this but anyhow..
When I create a new dialogue in 'Dialogues' lets call it dDialogue1:
I can't figure out why the numbered voice line: &123 - shows up with the text in the dialogue options?

In the options box I have as an example:      &152 Seeya!

...and the little '&152' shows up in the dialogue options when you play?

Like I said I'm a little embarrassed about asking, does anyone know? :-[

So close to finishing this little game, there's just this little annoyance and a couple of
Spoiler
Easter Eggs and
[close]
things to do and we're done! :-D

Cassiebsg

I don't know, but check to see if you have anything else before the &... ???

Glenjamin

My game should be done tomorrow. Not really scary like I planned but it's interesting enough.

But it's got monsters! It's got aliens! It's got an overly dramatic ending that doesn't fit the tone of the game at all! Oh yeah!

QuoteLike I said I'm a little embarrassed about asking, does anyone know? :-[

I know this isn't the place for it but...

You can circumvent this by having the player not say the dialogue choice, but having a cego.say("&152 Seeya!"); directly after the option is chosen.

Smarty

QuotePosted by: Glenjamin  » Date: Today at 02:52 Insert Quote
My game should be done tomorrow. Not really scary like I planned but it's interesting enough.

But it's got monsters! It's got aliens! It's got an overly dramatic ending that doesn't fit the tone of the game at all! Oh yeah!

Like I said I'm a little embarrassed about asking, does anyone know? :-[

I know this isn't the place for it but...

You can circumvent this by having the player not say the dialogue choice, but having a cego.say("&152 Seeya!"); directly after the option is chosen.

AWESOME!!!!!  Thankyou so much Glenjamin! It works a treat!
Great advice thanks! ;-D
Will release on 31st!

MAGS Host

It's looking like we'll have a nice little contest again this month.

Who's still in?

I should point out that there won't be any chance for an extension this time around so please give yourselves plenty of time to squash bugs and wrap a nice little bow on your products before the deadline.

Best of luck.

Mandle

Oh man, I can't wait to play all entries once Halloween is over and I can finally relax and just cruise for the next week at work because I will just keep the entire Halloween party construction for the rest of the week and most of every lesson will just be kids trapped in my Ninja Maze calling out for hints in Japanese but which I will only reply to in English...

Kids learn language fast when they think something that actually affects them is on the line ;)

Also: The Ninja Maze went amazingly well at today's party. Within the first 10 minutes only 2 out of 17 kids had reached the exit. I have some sliding doors that close in from above and block corridors, and two of the doors block two potential routes to the exit. So I can slide both doors up and down to provide only one route out OR... MUAHAHAHAHA I can slide both closed and then they are just trapped until I open one again.

And rotatable rooms with either N-S or E-W exits add to their confusion.

A lot of the kids today said that they thought the maze was much bigger than the entire school and had no idea where they were:

Classic quotes from today's party: "I think I'm under a table" and later "I think I'm under a different table."

And: "No, don't help me! I want to figure it out!"

One 3-year-old cried, not because she felt trapped but because she tried so hard to find the exit but couldn't. I told her she gets another chance next Saturday and then she smiled.

Tomorrow, at the older kids' party, we do the maze but also we play: "Talisman: Digital Edition" with 2 teams of 2 kids each and one with their teacher (ME!) on a projector screen with a massive-output speaker.

Characters: Amazon, Warrior, Troll, Ninja... Let's see who kills who and/or defeats the dungeon's Lord Of Darkness first!

Cassiebsg

Sounds like lots of fun there Mandle! (nod)

Pilchard

My game is ready! It's called...

Download here! It's not terribly spooky, but I hope it adds a few minutes' fun to your Halloween.

I've created a Completed Game thread, and the database page...

Click'd

Quote from: Slasher on Mon 23/10/2017 09:03:05
How quick can you curb your fear of fear or will you go running to mummy and daddy?
Managed to make the kid bear it for 54 and 53 seconds, respectively.
Spoiler
I tried to hit the face with the slingshot but I was to slow or something
[close]

Slasher

ClickClickClick
Spoiler

QuoteI tried to hit the face with the slingshot but I was to slow or something
Were you 'loaded', or did your Fearaphobia meter go to maximum because a late bird does not get the worm? (laugh)
[close]
Good news: After quite a bit of internal cleaning my keyboard is almost back to normal, thank god (nod)

Click'd

Spoiler
I combined the marble with the slingshot before using it, of course
[close]

Slasher

I have the feeling time ran out for you very fast as your fear grew rapidly.... (laugh)

Hortencya12

Hi
I and Blondbraid have entered the comptetition with a new game, Its called The frame on the wall.

Slasher

Hi,

nice graphics and story as expected...

There are a few issues you need to look into..

How many times can you go to bed for example...

Click'd

The main character doesn't scale when going towards the back wall, making her seem to grow in comparison.
Also, the hardest puzzle for me was to find the inventory.

Smarty

Here is our MAGS entry made by the kids and us for October 2017 'Room of fear.'
Short Adventure based upon my children's Anatadaephopia - the irrational fear of ducks/geese/swans.

It is the night before halloween..
As Angus, conquer your fear of the farmyard goose.

Full voice acting!
Acoustic guitar background music.
Homemade sound FX!
Hand illustrated graphics!
Easter Egg (See if you can find it!)
2 Alternate endings!
End credits - Musical parody!

We got a little carried away with it and the game is 93MB!  Didn't realise the speech would eat up so much space!
Enjoy!
Download it - http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2205/

Click'd

Clever, using the AGS definition for "room".
Spoiler
Did I screw myself over by just giving Mum the trowel instead of doing something with it?
[close]

Smarty

QuotePosted by: ClickClickClick  » Date: Today at 21:37 Insert Quote
Spoiler

Did I screw myself over by just giving Mum the trowel instead of doing something with it?
[close]

Yeah its a big 'room' hey? Heh hee! (laugh)

And no you didn't
Spoiler
screw yourself over :wink: just keep going!
[close]

Slasher

It's one room but a big one and it is outside (laugh)

This game does lend a certain charm but it does have issues that need addressing...

Smarty

QuoteThis game does lend a certain charm but it does have issues that need addressing...

I agree Slasher, just wish we had more time. 
We quite enjoyed your game, and after about the 4th attempt we cracked it in 36 seconds!
Angus was not keen... in his words: "That game is too creepy!"

Pilchard, the kids loved your entry and eagerly lined up to play it next.
It had that authentic 'old school' point and click feel and style to it... Well done!

Hortencya12 - The Frame on the wall... interesting story and graphics, creepy music...

Glenjamin - Just you and me... What an original style and theme! I really enjoyed playing this one.
It had a good flow, albeit a little glitchy if not followed correctly.  Especially liked the Jeep!

Thanks for an awesome variety of MAGS entries people ;-D we enjoyed playing them as much as creating our own...

May the best game win!  :)

Slasher

Hi Smarty,

Both Pilchard and myself made games that entered the world of fear and we both hit the topic on the head....though in a different way...
Spoiler

To me Halloween is all about being scared (witches, boogie men etc etc).
My game is more hardcore and included a scary Halloween character theme. Pilchards fear is lighter and less x-rated.
None-the-less both our entries count and I did enjoy Pilchards entry as well..
[close]

Smarty

Hey Slasher,

Like I said Angus didn't even want to play your game, he was too freaked out by it! (laugh)
So you definitely succeeded in frightening him!

We created the game as a family, and as an ulterior motive I hoped the whole thing would cure Angus of his real life fear...
It worked!  He confidently strides right up to the goose and gander (who are very protective of their goslings) and chases them away.
All in all we are wrapped with our little game and I am totally stoked that my little man isn't afraid anymore! :-D

Shadow1000

Regarding "The frame on the wall."

- Gorgeous graphics, as always by Blondbraid
- This game actually had a creep factor. Really well implemented environment and I will admit to having felt some anxiety while playing.

Well done!

Slasher

The frame on the wall: Definite issue...

Spoiler

Game over and goes back to splash but does not revert to Restart Game from fresh when PLAY selected and it all goes pear-shape.. which is a shame.
[close]

Glenjamin

My entry Shooooooooooooooould be done by today.

Can't wait to hear what you think!

Cassiebsg

Hey!
I need a mirror for Grizzly Goose of Gosse, anyone?

Cassiebsg

Smarty

Thanks for that Slasher! (nod)
As you can probably tell I'm a little modern PC/internet illiterate (laugh)
I long for my old 386DX40 I had back in the 90's.  That machine rocked! ;)

Slasher

Come on guys... It's the last day to enter (nod)

Shadow1000

My comments on Grizzly Goose:

- First, what a fresh idea to have a family project with hand drawn characters and backgrounds! It's hard not to just enjoy the personal touch of a family project.
- As far as the puzzles, it flowed quite nicely. I did get stuck for a while on what I feel was an action that was really not obvious. There were parts of the game where it was a bit difficult to understand what was needed to be done but that aside, the flow was good overall.
- As others mentioned, I don't know if having one huge scrolling room counts as one room; I'll let the judges decide that.

Overall, a delightful experience. Good job!

Glenjamin

I had a lot of fun with this one. I ended up spending too much time stretching the bounds of the "One room" aspect of the chellenge. As a result some aspects of the game are noticable lacking.

I'll need to do an update later.

I present to you "Just you and me." Following the story of some young wildlife photographers discovering a hostile monster in south Africa.

Take a bunch of pictures of animals, and try not to get eaten.

There's a few fears at play here. If I had to pin one it would be "Fear of being trapped in an inescapable hole" which I couldn't find a phobia-name for  :-\

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/mFAviGq.png[/imgzoom]

Check it out here: https://glenjamin.itch.io/justyouandme

The password is "MAGS"

Thanks!

Cassiebsg

Slasher

Probably just the way the site works...

I downloaded it ok (nod)

Glenjamin

QuoteWhy is there a password? ???

The game isn't 100% how i wanted it due to the time constraints.

Think of this as "Mags and AGS" only.

It's just me being a little neurotic about the quality. (laugh)

Shadow1000

Just You and me:

I LOVED this game the minute it turned on. I love the low-res graphics complemented by the character speech-art. The music score is a really good choice. The idea of the game is definitely creative and the puzzles are kind of cool.

I found it to be a bit strange that to get out of the car you had to use the key on the car?

As you said, the game can do with a bit of polish but considering the time constraints, overall very impressive. I don't know if this counts as one room but I'll leave that up to the judge...

Glenjamin

QuoteI don't know if this counts as one room but I'll leave that up to the judge...

This game is 100% one room, Aside form one the player never enters, designed to store the monster when not active.

I really enjoyed finding clever ways around this, either through setting the viewports to certain y's on purpose, or using objects to obscure the surrounding screen area. (laugh)

Maybe i'll make a video on it...

MAGS Host

The competition has now ended and voting is underway.

Fearaphobia by Slasher

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

Please use the poll above for voting.

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: November 15th

Mandle

I'm keeping notes on all the games here as I play them:

BEWARE! MASSIVE SPOILERS!

Moonlight Moggy:

Spoiler
SO CHARMING!!! Amazing for a game made in one month! The overall Halloweeny feel of the graphics and the loveable characters make this really something special. I played with a 4-year-old student and she LOVED it. Couldn't stop saying "So CUTE!!!" and she was especially entranced with the end scene: "One cat is sleeping but one is watching TV!". She found that adorable. One thing I would suggest if a non-MAGS version is planned for the future is maybe one or two extra "fears" to overcome (i.e: one or two more puzzles) to really flesh it out.
[close]

Just You And ME:

Spoiler
A wonderful treat if slightly incomplete, especially as it squeaked in at the last moment! The cute low-res graphics really work well with the horror of what happens later on, leaving most of the gore up to the mind of the player, where it is so much more graphic (pun not intended but I'll go with it). I can't wait to play the full version because I grew so interested in the mystery. The creepy feeling of invisible monsters all around us and only visible through the lens of a device reminded me of the movie "They Live". It was a bit hard to figure out what was happening at the end but I'm guessing that's due to time restraints and will be fixed. In a way I think it's best that part was left vague so as not to spoil the full game which looks like it will be something incredible!
[close]

The Frame On The Wall:

Spoiler
WOW! So spooky! This really had the mood of a campfire story with the final reveal sending a welcome chill up the spines of the listeners. What it lacked in length and complexity it made up for in atmosphere. Music was a little loud though. I felt it should be slightly quieter to fit the mood better. Thanks for the creepy Halloween thrill!
[close]

Fearaphobia:

Spoiler
Slasher! How dare you use consistant graphics in your game! It...it...just doesn't feel like a Slasher game... :~( . I had a lot of fun with the game and can tell it was supposed to be a larger concept before the terrible coffee incident of 2017! It was a bit unclear what the win condition was though. It was hard to tell that it was the boogeyman who said "Success!" and the first time through I thought I had won the game by going to mum & dad's room. Maybe a bit of a clearer "You Won" and "You Lost" signalling is needed. Nice jumpscare on the title screen when you click play. Made me jump!
[close]

Grizzly Goose Of Gosse:

Spoiler
What a great Halloween treat! I have a soft-spot for games with artwork done by kids as my first ever AGS game was conceived and drawn by some of my young students as a class project (My First Big Adventure), and another class project was voiced by students too (Easter Encounter). The artwork is amazing in that it also works in a game format with everything laid out perfectly. The voicing is heart-breakingly cute and it's refreshing to hear a game voiced by actual fellow Aussies and not saying "G'day mate!", "Grab us a tinny!", or "Crikey!" every five seconds. Just talking like we really do. Puzzles were spot-on for a game for all ages and multiple uses for certain quest objects was cleverly done. The outback(?) station setting was cool. I'm guessing that's where you guys actually live. Must be beautiful in real life! Also this is the only entry (I believe) that actually followed all the theme rules in that it was about a real fear of one of the cast. Loved the detail put into the character sprite transformations when changing into a costume and carrying objects. And the "sound effects" were hilarious. Loved the tent zipper!

Oh, and the fnal song! BRILLIANT! Had me laughing!

This game gets my vote!
[close]

Thanks to all for great games to play post-Halloween after two weeks of busy, back-breaking (literally) work with no days off!!!

All games were awesome but I knew my clear winner the moment I played it!

Shadow1000

I posted my comments on each game as I played it. My vote went to Just You And Me just because I felt the most overall fun and immersive experience while playing it. And I agree that each game was a strong contender for its own reason.

Mandle pointed out something that occurred to me as I was playing the games: the contest definition was the fear of the author of the game. It seems that some of the entries were more of a spooky experience or fears of the characters in the game. Either way, great entries and lots of fun playing.

Riaise

Here we go:

Fearaphobia by Slasher

Spoiler
It's a shame this game is so short, because it has the potential for some great puzzles to scare away the boogeyman. But after what happened to your keyboard, it's a good thing that you managed to get the game finished at all! A lot of people would have given up, so well done for carrying on, Slasher!
[close]

Spoiler
I love your graphics, Pilchard, they're always so lovely! I liked the puzzles, too, they were simple in a pleasant way, rather than being boringly easy. I also like how you managed to make a game about fear feel so warm and comforting. Great work!
[close]

Spoiler
This game has a very unnerving atmosphere, which worked really well with the theme. The puzzles were quite simple, but the twist at the end was completely unexpected! I thought the background was lovely, really well drawn by Blondbraid.
[close]

Spoiler
This game is so cute! Angus is adorable, and I loved how each family member had their own role that showed their personality. The graphics are so sweet, they work really well with the style of the game. It's also great to hear that it helped Angus to overcome his fear in real life. I hope that you make more games as a family in the future!

Although I did have one major problem with the game:
Spoiler
I've had your version of the Monster Mash stuck in my head all day! (laugh)
[close]
[close]

Spoiler
Wow, this game took some unexpected turns! Once the Thing appeared, it became really creepy and there was a great sense of tension. The graphics are great and the music works really well. You did a really great job for such a short time span!
[close]

Really great work, everyone! ;-D

Glenjamin

Here's my thoughts:

Fearaphobia by Slasher

Spoiler
This was a lot of fun, and a good idea all around. Excellent use of pumpkins. Solid graphics that get the point across. You don't often play as a child in modern games(and when you do, it's never a child-related scenario)so it's nice to have one that's more grounded in reality. That being said this kid SHOULD probably call an exorcist if the blinds keep closing by themselves.
[close]

Spoiler
The presentation in this game is really something else. From minute one it sucked me into the spooky atmosphere and cute graphics. The puzzles were neat and easy enough to solve. A little short, but there's so much to look at that it doesn't really matter.
[close]

Spoiler
One thing I really liked about this game was the untold story. It takes a pretty interesting setting to end up wandering a frozen wilderness and breaking into random houses to stay the night. What's going on out there? The puzzles were easy and made sense. The art was solid and the twist at the end surprised me, even if it's a bit goofy.
[close]

Spoiler
This was a treat. This game pulled an aesthetic I wish was used more often. I can see a lot of mileage coming off the "crayon drawings and child narration" motif. (Make a series my dude) The voice acting was fun, the graphics were solid, and the puzzle design was A-okay. This game also shares my deep hatred for geese. ESPECIALLY CANADA GEESE. They're an affront to beauty and happiness.
[close]

This was a fun one! Great work everybody!

lanchong

All the games are interesting. It was hard to pick a favourite. Good job everyone!

HanaIndiana

Thanks to all the game creators, they were fun to play over Halloween! This is a tough vote.

Fearaphobia
Spoiler
I love this idea! I wish the "rounds" could go longer, but for only having a month (or shorter) it is impressive. I thought it fit the theme perfectly.
[close]

Moonlight Moggy
Spoiler
I'm a fan of your graphical work and stories, and Moggie is very cute. I always get immersed in your games. :) I liked how so many of the games this month included animals in some way.
[close]

The Frame on the wall
Spoiler
I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was keeping close watch at that frame the whole time. I busted out laughing as soon as the twist was revealed. That was awesome (laugh)
[close]

Grizzly Goose of Gosse
Spoiler
I can honestly say I wasn't expecting any adorable games with a theme like "Fear". But it was a really fun use of the theme, both for Fear and the one room rule. I really liked all the original graphics, music, sound effects, voice work, etc... Very charming and fun to play. And the goose sound effects were truly frightening, especially with headphones (laugh) It kinda made me wish I had a little farm myself.
[close]

Just You and Me
Spoiler
Wow, this plays like a chapter within a movie. I liked the suspense, and the giant alien monsters were really cool. And any adventure game were my character gets to drive in a high-speed chase is a big plus.
[close]

Cassiebsg

Oh crap! I better get playing, only played 2 and started a 3rd... :-[

Blondbraid

I've played all the games now:
Fearaphobia
Spoiler
It was an interesting idea for an arcade-style game, though a bit short.
[close]
Moonlight Moggy
Spoiler
It was fun to play as a cat, the pixel art was nice and the puzzles were good.
[close]
Grizzly Goose of Gosse
Spoiler
The crayon drawings for graphics and voice acting was great, its a fun game and you can thell the whole family had fun doing it. my only complaint was that it was hard to understand what to do inside the shed, but otherwise a cute game and it has my vote.
[close]
Just You and Me
Spoiler
It's a great game, just a shame that the screenshot in this forum kind of ruined the surprise, for otherwise it's a very suspenseful game. My only complaint is that the ending was a bit too abrupt.
[close]

Twirlly

Great batch of games this month. I enjoyed playing them all. Thanks to all the creators! :-D

Fearaphobia
Spoiler

You had me in anticipation from the spooky spawning of the title on screen. It took me a minute to realize it was a timed task, and I wish it had been clearer from the start as I wasn't initially sure about the moving bar or it's purpose. I liked the concept for different endings. I just wish they were clearer as to if one was better then the other as far as game play. Although I would guess attacking the bogey man was the better game choice.
[close]

Moonlight Moggy
Spoiler

Beautiful graphics, as the cute with eeriness was done very well. I wish there were more complex interactions and puzzles, but the limitations were justified by having a cat as the player character.
[close]

The Frame on the Wall
Spoiler

The climax was definitely unexpected, and greatly enjoyed for it's uniqueness. The graphics were well done. I just wish there were more puzzles with greater complexity.
[close]

Grizzly Goose of Gosse
Spoiler

I could tell that this game was the product of a loving family collaboration and that is awesome! I actually found the Easter egg without even knowing there was one until discovering it(didn't read all the posts in forum until after playing all the games) and it was a nice surprise like the song at the end. There were some harsh changes in volume with some of the speech, but kudos to you guys for a fully voiced game. It was a parent's children's fridge drawings come to life adventure, and I'm so glad it cured your son of his fear.
[close]

Just You and Me
Spoiler

At the start, I wasn't sure where the story would lead. I did however enjoy the twists and turns from the monster to the secret caves. The connection between the two or there purpose wasn't clear, but maybe that was due to time constraints. Also, being able to drive in an adventure game is a treat to me.
[close]
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

MAGS Host

The voting is over and the winner of MAGS October is:

Moonlight Moggy by Pilchard.

Well done Pilch. You'll be contacted soon about choosing a theme for December.

Thanks to all participants and voters.

Mandle

Wow, so close!!!

A well-deserved win for a great game and well-deserved almost-tie for the runner up!

Riaise

Congrats, Pilchard! And a very well done to Smarty and family for making it such a close contest! :-D

Great work from everyone else, too! All of the entries were really good, it was tough deciding who to vote for! (nod)

Shadow1000

Congrats on the well-deserved win! Good job to all entries!

Cheers

Slasher

You did a good job mate.. Well done (nod)

Glenjamin

Good work everybody! This was a lot of fun.

Smarty

Congratulations Pilchard on your well deserved win! :)
Well done to everyone on some great entries!
The kids are totally stoked to have placed 2nd!
Looking forward to future MAGS, if we can conceive an idea.
Thanks for having us, now I'm off to cook some nice spring goose (nod) :P

Mandle

Quote from: Smarty on Thu 16/11/2017 20:19:58
The kids are totally stoked to have placed 2nd!

Also let them know that the results are not usually this close. Most often one entry grabs like 10+ votes and the rest get a few here and there if that. 7 to 6 is basically a tie compared to the way it usually goes!

Pilchard

Wow - I'm surprised and delighted to be the October MAGS champ, by a whisker ;)! To be honest, I feel a little bad for just edging it past a family effort, but as Mandle points out, this was virtually a tie. Smarty, I hope you and the kids will combine your talents and enter again sometime soon.

Thank you to all of you who played, commented, and even voted for Moonlight Moggy. I shall now try my best to think of a fun theme for December, which is exciting in itself...

Blondbraid

Congratulations, Pilchard! Your game with the kitties was adorable! ;-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk