Beyond The Edge Of Owlsgard

Started by WatchDaToast, Wed 19/12/2018 16:19:06

Previous topic - Next topic

WatchDaToast

Some of you may already know me from busily spamming my artwork around on the Discord servers. :D
I present to you my new game which I have been pouring all my blood, sweat and tears into since over a year.
The shoddy prototype version of the entire game was finished sometime in June 2018 and has been tested thoroughly since then.
Which means that I now work on all the final graphics, sounds, music and all kinds of other touch-ups.

Strange things are happening in the animal kingdom of Velehill. Unknown shadows of large appearance are seen roaming trough the forests, making the ground shake with every step of their steel feet. Houses and trees get destroyed and one animal after the other seems to disappear mysteriously.
Finn, a young and adventurous deer, soon finds out about the disappearance of his family as well. Without hesitation, he goes an a journey to find them... not knowing he and his new friend Gwen the owl will soon uncover an ancient and dark secret which should have been kept hidden for all eternity...

• Travel trough 3 whimsical lands full of mystery and danger!
  • A crazy story told trough handdrawn landscapes and elaborate animations!
  • a whopping resolution of 320x200 pixels!!
  • because no one can resist loving them: Sierra-style deaths! *crowd gasps*
  • a cool midi soundtrack that will make you want to go point&clicking as if there was no tomorrow!

The game is divided into four chapters, and the overall length is comparable to older Sierra titles like Space Quest 3. It's no MI2, but at least it took all my testers roughly around a weekend to beat it.
Thematically, it's a colourful blend of all the things that influenced me since I was little. Among those things are adventure games (especially the Kings Quest series), a love for animals and nature... and my deeply rooted fear of rapidly advancing, seemingly uncontrollable technology. *hint*
Overall, I want to go for a cinematic and cartoony atmosphere that feels very alive. Curse of Monkey Island is one of my biggest inspirations in that regard.
I plan to release it on Steam with an english and german translation when it's finished. Right now the whole game is still in german, since it's easier for me to come up with dialogue in my native language.
Concerning a release date, it's still a little hard to estimate the time it will need to finish it all (since I'm doing everything all by myself)... but my progress is steady and I have a pretty good feeling about it.
Just as steady as Gwen the owl is wobbling around below. :3

Chicky

Really can't wait for this game Toast, following along with your development has been super fun. Nice to see a few of the work in progress backgrounds finished now, I think we have another big hit on our hands :)

horusr

I was following you on discord(errr...) and love your art! Nice to see an announcement! That owl walking feels so good btw.

I wonder if you will post a percentage of the completed game(can someone fix this sentence, thank you)? My only complaint is Sierra style deaths but it is personal preference.

selmiak

ooooh, ooooh, the pixel sweetness! Does it have an aimed release date already?

Quote from: WatchDaToast on Wed 19/12/2018 16:19:06

you should totally post the EGA version of that screen too :)

shaun9991

Been keeping an eye on this on Twitter - really nice work! The graphics are gorgeous!!!
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

CrashPL

I've been following you on twitter as well for some time now - your game looks really charming and lovely, alright! Best of luck with finishing everything up!

Two Tales

That is some sexy graphics and locations. Loving the look of this!

CaptainD

Ah yes, I remember seeing this one on Twitter as well.  Looks extremely promising!

dactylopus

The graphics look fantastic.  Obviously a lot of love was put into this game.  I'll be keeping an eye on this.

eri0o

This is so beautiful! I loved the personalized cute headers, I will definitely steal that idea!

It was really fun watching the graphics pop up on discord AGS channel!

Love Sierra style deaths, I miss them  8-0

I find amazing that you did it all yourself. Congratulations! Can't wait for a release!  :-D

(About the midi soundtrack, a version that also has the soundtrack rendered to mp3, when the game is finished, if you think you can find time, would be cool... In some computers I can't get the midi part of AGS working...)

FireFlower

Story rich DRM-free games - http://fireflowergames.com/

WatchDaToast

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know this project is still alive and going strong!
Revamped the first post in this thread - I replaced all the old screenshots with their newest and most polished counterparts, als there are a few new graphics to see now.  8-)
Let me know if you like them! :-D

All in all, I can tell you that most of the graphics and animations are pretty much done by now. I am currently animating the last bit of the game's ending, and from then on, the only thing I have to take care of
graphically are a few touch-ups on backgrounds in chapter 3 and 4, as well as some background animations that are still missing. Might still be quite a bit of work, but most of that will be more like a routine work instead of the creatively exhausting job that was coming up with all the character sprites, backgrounds and animations.  :)

2020 will be the year of the audio department - I will write the game's music and add sound effects. Also, with the help of a friend and tester, I managed to get some quite professional german voice actors to do the roles in this game, and everyone is super excited about how it's going to turn out! I would be excited to also do an english talkie version, even if that meant a few additional months of cutting and mixing audio files. Hopefully I will be able to keep you updated in this thread this year... after I neglected it all troughout 2019. (roll)

Cassiebsg

Looks really lovely and those cutscenes are just awesome!

Best of luck with final production. :)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

DBoyWheeler

Great to see another anthro adventure game.

Stupot

Looking amazing. Can't wait to see the final game.

MrPr1993

Good lord those cutscenes! So beautiful!
Born from the 93's

Ali

Crimson Wizard

Ignoring the animations, I love the enviroment in this game, it gives such a nice warm magic country feel :).

Khris

Can't believe I didn't comment on this yet, so: just amazing! The backgrounds, sprites, animations, everything is at least on par with professional commercial work from the 90's and super cute on top ;-D
Plus, you have the dedication an stamina to finish this, which is a huge bonus.

I still remember your AgentCat stuff, btw :)

I'm really looking forward to playing this!

WatchDaToast

@Cassiebsg @MrPr1993 @Stupot @Ali
Thanks so much!! :P

@DBoyWheeler
Yes, in that regard, there seem to be quite a few adventures in production right now.
Fox Tail, Inherit the Earth 2, Trip To The Ark Fantastic, among some others I have seen but can't recall the names of.
I think anthro animal worlds are a great setting to tell certain stories... and I am not talking about furry dating simulators here *cough*.

@Crimson Wizard
Great to hear, that was exactly the mood I tried to convey. I was inspired by the Kings Quest series and how they managed
to create such a mood of mystery and wonder with their backgrounds. :P

@Khris
Ooh, it's you! I remember you as well, and how you kept helping me out with my countless scripting problems back in the day (I remember
working on my first AGS game King`s Cat back then...).
Great to hear you like it, hopefully it will turn out as good as I imagine it right now.

Matti

I bookmarked this thread in 2018 and thought I commented too.. Anyway, I'm really glad that you're still working on it  ;-D

It's beautiful work and the new cutscenes ares great! I'm really looking forward to playing this one

CrashPL

Man, it looks better and better with each update. Ace stuff man, keep up the grand work! :-D

selmiak

Darth Mandarb

Ummm... this thread hadn't been posted to in over 2 years.

WatchDaToast - if you want to update the thread let me know and I'll unlock it.

Contacted by WatchDaToast to unlock the thread!

Good news all around!

Ramorama

Everyone with a GOG account can wishlist Beyond the Edge of Owlsgard here:

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/beyond_the_edge_of_owlsgard

Darth Mandarb

It's like the rules don't matter anymore with this thread...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk