MAGS May "What are they doing in there?" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Wed 01/05/2019 06:04:18

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS May?

A Suspicious Date
3 (25%)
Cave of Avarice
9 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Sat 15/06/2019 02:30:23

Stupot

Time to find out what you've all been doing in there all month.

Two games. Please vote using the poll above.

A Suspicious Date
by Artium/Tuathlait/Durq

Cave of Avarice
by Blondbraid, cat and Slasher

Topic: What are they doing in there?
Chosen by: Retro Wolf
Deadline: May 31st

Maybe there's somebody suspicious making some strange noises in their shed.
Maybe you need to sneak in when they're not around.
Perhaps the player is the one building something secret that they don't want other people to know?
Is the person innocent and the neighbours are just paranoid and nosy? Maybe they're brewing alcohol during prohibition! Maybe it's a killer robot about to be unleashed on the world and no one believes you!

These are just ideas and the theme can be interpreted in any way you wish.
Previously made graphics and sounds can be used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaLjwSpZ6Cs

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Mandle

That video is a masterpiece!

I love how we never find out
Spoiler
who the dangerous one is: the titular "he" or the narrator, but my money's on the narrator.
[close]

Kastchey

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 01/05/2019 08:15:12
That video is a masterpiece!

I love how we never find out
Spoiler
who the dangerous one is: the titular "he" or the narrator, but my money's on the narrator.
[close]
I second that!
Spoiler
The obsessive stalker narrator, totally. The way it sounds, the angry mob waving rakes and torches is about to be gathered outside.
[close]

LostTrainDude

I can't see the video but I'm 100% sure is the Tom Waits' record :D
Because that's the exact thing that came to my mind upon reading the theme!

EDIT: Can see it on YouTube, not if embedded! Sorry  (roll)
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

VampireWombat

Hmm. Several possibilities. I need to choose carefully this time.

Retro Wolf

Quote from: LostTrainDude on Wed 01/05/2019 12:12:30
I can't see the video but I'm 100% sure is the Tom Waits' record :D
Because that's the exact thing that came to my mind upon reading the theme!

EDIT: Can see it on YouTube, not if embedded! Sorry  (roll)
Yup, I'm a big Tom Waits fan!

DBoyWheeler

Or it could be that it is just paranoia, and in the end, the player's neighbors/friends/whatever were just planning a surprise birthday party or something.  Just my take.

Mandle

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Wed 01/05/2019 14:11:42
Yup, I'm a big Tom Waits fan!

I've always loved Tom Waits but had never heard that one before.

I fell in love with it and watched several times before realizing the voice... Shameful for a fan!

Blondbraid

So I've got an idea for an entry;
Just a short story about a former Dahomey Amazon turned mercenary who's been tasked with leading two explorers to a cave said to contain a great treasure. The mercenary has been tasked with guarding the entrance while the two explorers enter, but as screams and gunshots are heard from within only to be followed by silence, the mercenary chooses to investigate...

I have most of the story mapped out in my head and I'm certain I can make all the graphics I need in time, however, I'd love it if somebody good at programming and puzzles would want to join in, anyone interested?

Slasher

Hi  Blondbraid,

I don't have a lot of time as I am working on a full length game but I can spend a few hours on the back-end coding and some client-end stuff and help with puzzles, ideas etc..

PM me if you are still looking for help...

Slasher

Stupot

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sun 05/05/2019 18:00:46
Another great theme :)
Indeed. We've had a string of really unique themes. I was glad we got 4 entries last month in the end. It was looking like a no-show for a while there, and I was thinking it would be such a waste of a cracking theme.

This month's theme is also amazing. Let's not waste this one either  (wrong)

VampireWombat

I will do my best not to waste it. Currently all I have is the general setting aand starting premise. But I have no idea where to go with it.  I'd love to make it an exciting Goonies like adventure. But experience tells me to keep it to 1-5 rooms...

Kastchey

A quick question please.. Is "What are they doing out there" within or outside of this month's rules? ;)

Retro Wolf

Quote from: Kastchey on Tue 07/05/2019 14:05:19
A quick question please.. Is "What are they doing out there" within or outside of this month's rules? ;)
I'm OK with it if Stupot is.

Stupot

I'm OK with it if Retro Wolf is.

Technically, even "outer space" is in space  8-)

VampireWombat

The Truth is out there?

But yeah, last night I re-watched The Gate and now have a fairly solid idea for how to start my game at least. Still need to re-watch The Goonies, Monster Squad, The Lost Boys, and maybe a few other 80s movies...

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Thu 09/05/2019 20:07:28
The Truth is out there?

But yeah, last night I re-watched The Gate and now have a fairly solid idea for how to start my game at least. Still need to re-watch The Goonies, Monster Squad, The Lost Boys, and maybe a few other 80s movies...

Hmmmm... Sounds like a lot of research fun... Or maybe excuses to just watch awesome movies... Either way, best of luck! All of those movies are pure class!

The makers of Stranger Things basically did pretty much the same, as did J.J.Abrams when he made Super 8, but then they did a LOT of work to make sure their final products were not just reference-filled fluff (arguably)...

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

VampireWombat

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 12/05/2019 16:13:44
Hmmmm... Sounds like a lot of research fun... Or maybe excuses to just watch awesome movies... Either way, best of luck! All of those movies are pure class!

The makers of Stranger Things basically did pretty much the same, as did J.J.Abrams when he made Super 8, but then they did a LOT of work to make sure their final products were not just reference-filled fluff (arguably)...

Can't wait to see what you come up with!
The first season of Stranger Things felt mostly like a mix of Stephen King and Stephen Spielberg stuff. Especially Firestarter and E.T.
Super 8 didn't seem too much like any specific movies at least. I did pull my copy of Super 8 out as a possible influence. As well as Little Monsters, Fright Night, Silver Bullet, and The Willies...

But yeah, I'm trying to have it more of an 80s movie feel than being references. Specifically with a group of 2-4 boys having some kind of adventure. It's still up in the air on what kind of adventure, though. I know where the game will begin, but where it leads has several possibilities.

Stupot

@VW You could frame it so that these boys all have their smartphones taken away from them, so they have to go and find something to do the way we used to have to. Then they come across their mystery in a more 80s way.

Slasher

Quote from: Stupot on Tue 14/05/2019 04:43:50
@VW You could frame it so that these boys all have their smartphones taken away from them, so they have to go and find something to do the way we used to have to. Then they come across their mystery in a more 80s way.

You should have been around late 50's and the 60's... I remember having so much fun... Car tyres, making go carts, old bomb sites, bread and milk, bread and dripping, tin bath, coal fire, houses covered in cement dust, pea shooters, catapults... Happy days  (nod)

VampireWombat

Quote from: Stupot on Tue 14/05/2019 04:43:50
But that would mean completely changing the beginning, the one thing I do have planned out. And changing every other vague idea...

edit: It did at least make me think about changing the location of the main adventure. So thanks for that.

DBoyWheeler

I'm trying to work on my game as much as possible, but due to my chaotic work schedule, I'm gonna be cutting it close.

If I don't make it before the deadline, I'll just treat it as a stand-alone really short game.

[Update] I'm getting the feeling I might not make it, but again, I'll still work on it and treat it as a regular short game.  Heck, I could look at past MAGS competitions and use their themes as stand-alone short games--if nothing else, as proofs of concept for some of the characters I got as adoptables (er, long story).

[Update 2] Okay, it's now obvious I'm not gonna make it in time.  I'll work on the game idea later on and, as stated earlier, treat it as a stand-alone short game.  If it weren't for my crazy work schedule, I might have made it in the end.

VampireWombat

So, how's everyone's game doing?  1 week left to go...

Only progress I really have is figuring out ways to lengthen the start of the game. Hopefully I can find my groove this weekend...

Edit: So, no one's doing that great?

I still haven't found a groove and only finally got a workable sprite style yesterday. So, I'm simplifying things and there will be no grand adventure. But hopefully it'll still be unique.

Mandle

I'm considering making an entry all in one single day on the 30th because I had an idea that is maybe doable within that timeframe.

VampireWombat

artium

We are close to finishing but some polishing is required.

Just to make sure we don't miss the deadline accidentally, when exactly will the submission close? And by exactly I mean GMT time.

Mandle

Quote from: artium on Thu 30/05/2019 00:04:49
We are close to finishing but some polishing is required.

Just to make sure we don't miss the deadline accidentally, when exactly will the submission close? And by exactly I mean GMT time.

It's not usually strict down to the minute, but the official closing time is the end of the last day of the month as per the AGS website clock.

Stupot

I try to close the contest as close to (but not before) midnight UK time (be that GMT or BST). Sometimes it's not easy for me to get to the computer at that time and basically if I haven't officially closed the contest you can still submit. But don't rely on me being late. Sometimes i'm Bang on time.

Mandle

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 28/05/2019 16:42:52
I'm considering making an entry all in one single day on the 30th because I had an idea that is maybe doable within that timeframe.

My idea didn't seem as fun today as it did the other night at 1:30AM after a few drinks so it won't be happening.

I do have a nice framework I made for it though that something better can be made on it the future perhaps.

Best of luck to the rest!

VampireWombat

Luck? Who needs luck?
All I need is energy, motivation, and someone to remove the hedgehog that seems to have lodged itself in my sinus cavity overnight...

But yeah, I'll be doing the bulk of the "actual game" today. I have 4 possible ways to do most of it. The method that actually happens will be as big of a surprise to me as for anyone else.

I can make no promises about good plot, good gameplay, or anything like that. But I did make 101 frames of animation yesterday.

artium

A SUSPICIOUS DATE

User Interface
Right Click - Interact
Left Click - Examine
Q - Quit
You can select multiples items in the item list.

Art: Tuathlaith
Writing: Durq
Programming: Artium

Source Code: https://github.com/alkhimey/MAGS-May-19
Design Document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_9XMXT4NHpskqNmfr3Z368IwtnsT4SCy-n_8gLwIrHk/edit?usp=sharing
AGS Game Page: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2347/

Durq

Regarding how to play A Suspicious Date, the player has to select the item(s) on the receipt and then select the relevant background item(s).

Items on the receipt can be selected and de-selected.

cat

A former Dahomey Amazon turned mercenary has been hired by two explorers for leading them to a cave said to contain a great treasure. The mercenary has been tasked with guarding the entrance while the two explorers enter, but as gunshots are heard from within only to be followed by silence, the mercenary chooses to investigate...

Blondbraid: Story, graphics and animations
cat: Puzzle design and coding
Slasher: Puzzle design and testing
CaptainD: Additional testing

I strongly suggest playing the game in fullscreen mode with sound turned on - you will know why when you do (no jumpscares, I promise - just great atmosphere)

Durq

I just finished playing through Cave of Avarice. Fantastic work! Good job to everyone involved in making it.

VampireWombat

Since I feel horrible and there's no way what I can have finished can compete against games made by groups, I'm going to drop out and rest.

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: VampireWombat on Fri 31/05/2019 21:38:54
Since I feel horrible and there's no way what I can have finished can compete against games made by groups, I'm going to drop out and rest.
@VampireWombat Yeah, I dropped out when I knew I couldn't complete it in time.  That and the Memorial Day Tornadoes in Dayton, Ohio caused the power to be out for two days, so that'd really screw up the plans too!

To all who have made it, good luck in the voting.

Kastchey

Two entries, fantastic! Well done teams.
I was working on something too, but didn't get nearly as much time this month as I thought so I won't finish before the deadline.

Some thoughts on the entries:

A Suspicious Date
Spoiler
It probably took me as much time to figure out how to play the game as to solve it but it wasn't frustrating to any degree, quite the opposite - it felt like a puzzle in itself and the game would have been too simple if the controls had been more obvious. The writing and visuals are very well done, the gameplay might be a bit lacking but as we know all too well, with MAGS games you often need to take some shortcuts.
The ending was a little abrupt (it would have been fun to see the boyfriend's reaction to all this mess) but overall it was an entertaining story and a cool little game, well done.
[close]
Cave of Avarice
Spoiler
What a sweet entry! Great story and atmosphere, and I really like your interpretation of the theme. The puzzles were very straightforward and quite easy, but I felt I was playing the game for the narration more than puzzles so that felt just about right. And you were completely right with the sound and full screen mode, cat - it really does add a lot to the overall experience. I second Durq, fantastic work!
[close]

Stupot

Time to find out what you've all been doing in there all month.

Two games. Please vote using the poll above.

A Suspicious Date
by Artium/Tuathlait/Durq

Cave of Avarice

@VW You don't have to feel bad about competing against a group. That said, why don't you try putting together your own formidable team for next month :-)

cat

Looking forward to having a suspicious date ;)

Quote from: VampireWombat on Fri 31/05/2019 21:38:54
Please don't feel horrible - MAGS is a though thing to do, no matter if alone or in a team. Working in a team makes a few things easier like sharing the work and motivating each other (you don't want to be the one who fails the project), but there also have been fantastic one-man-shows. Last year's well deserved MAGGIES winner was made by just one person!
Just as Stupot said: form a team for next month!

Slasher

Thanks for your comments Kastchey...

VampireWombat... I have gone up against teams alone before and won.... Don't be put off by it.... Just do your best and believe in yourself (nod)

Slasher

VampireWombat

I guess there was misunderstanding in my wording. Sorry about that. The feeling horrible was because of a migraine/sinus headache hybrid with connected nausea.
The mention of teams was meant that the people who made the games this last month would have put actual effort into their games. And since I never found my groove, the only decent thing I had was some arcade cabinets and 3 decent looking sprites.
If only one game had been submitted, I was going to force myself to finish up with what little plot I had planned. But since a second one had been submitted, I felt it was better to lay down than to try to make a game that would just have a PTA meeting set in 1983 with talk about the evils possibly going on at a video arcade and then switch to the arcade where kids are just playing games.

And as for teams, unfortunately the last two times I tried working with others didn't work out so well...

Retro Wolf

Slasher

A Suspicious Date
by Artium/Tuathlait/Durq

What a fun game...very enjoyable.

A little extra at the end would have not gone amiss...

Well done ;)

Shadow1000

I'm pleased that we had some last minute entries this month!

My comments:

A Suspicious Date
Spoiler
As others have pointed out, I spent most of the playing time getting the hang of the interface. The end was predictable yet funny. I really like when people come up with a new way to design puzzles and game interfaces rather than using the traditional elements. Amazing how you can create a game with only one background! Of the two, this one met the theme of the month better in my opinion.
[close]

Cave of Avarice
Spoiler
I cannot believe that the graphics, puzzles, animations were put together in such a short time for this game! I knew the graphics would be outstanding when I saw Blondbraid's name on it. Sound effects, background sounds, you name it...very rare for a MAGS entry. Aptly named, this game was a pleasure to play. The puzzles were a good variety and well-designed but on the easier side. I had a laugh at the jumping puzzle. And lastly, a moral lesson at the end to round things up :)
[close]

My vote goes to
Spoiler
Cave of Avarice. I enjoyed it more overall.
[close]

Blondbraid

So I just played A Suspicious Date:
Spoiler
I personally found the story a bit too predictable and spotted the twist almost immediately, and by the end I felt more sad for the characters than amused by the mistake,
but all the same I liked the puzzles and it was great to use the mechanics to connect the clues in the receipt to things in the environment.
[close]

VampireWombat

I haven't been able to finish either game yet. I'm only able to figure out 4/5 of the clues with A Suspicious Date. I'm sure in hindsight it'll make sense what I'm doing wrong...

And I can't get Cave of Avarice to run at all. It crashes despite any of the changes I make to the settings. Any chance of getting a Linux version?

cat

Quote from: VampireWombat on Mon 03/06/2019 14:18:15
And I can't get Cave of Avarice to run at all. It crashes despite any of the changes I make to the settings. Any chance of getting a Linux version?
It doesn't use any plugins, so I think it should work with Linux. I can build and upload a linux version in the evening.

VampireWombat

Quote from: cat on Mon 03/06/2019 14:22:54
It doesn't use any plugins, so I think it should work with Linux. I can build and upload a linux version in the evening.
All I know is that I've tried like 15 different AGS games and Cave of Avarice is the only one that's given me any problems today. I just hoped a Linux version might fix whatever the problem is.

Spoiler
[close]

cat

I'm using a new AGS beta version and sadly there is no option to compile for Linux anymore. I posted in the thread of the beta:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=57133.msg636606550#msg636606550

VampireWombat

Thanks for the effort. Maybe there's some issue because of it being the Beta. I guess I can try playing it on my laptop instead.

cat

The download mirror in the game database now provides a Linux version of the game.

cat

I returned from a suspicious date, and what shall I say - spot on regarding the topic!

Spoiler
I love the idea of the UI, using the receipt is so creative. The only problem is, that without the hint in this thread I wouldn't have figured out how to use it. Anyway, it was very clever but very short - it was over too soon, I would have loved to play another "level".
[close]

selmiak

I played them both and can only echo what cat said about the suspicious date, another level or even more would be cool, so it is very very short and has tricky controls. So my vote goes to the longer game with more exploration, Cave of Avarice.
Well done both teams!

artium

I played Cave of Avarice a while ago and finally found time to write a review:

Spoiler

The quality of the game is very high.  I enjoyed it very much. The graphics, story and puzzles are excellent.

The introduction was a little to long in my opinion. After a "cinematic" intro you had an in game one as well. Maybe it is me personally but I started to lose patience and was eager to start playing the game already.

The emotional first person intro was very immersive in my opinion.

Using the lantern in cave to reveal only part of it was cool idea. I think that this idea was under utilized. You could hide and object somewhere in the cave and turn it I to an exploration puzzle.

The crocodile puzzle was a good idea as well.

In the idol room I was expecting one of the idol to be different so I checked each one of them :)

The crack in the wall was a little hidden and took some time to find.

Overall, if someone told me this is a chapter in full featured commercial game, it would not surprise me.
You built the character well and this story could theoretically be expanded into a series of small advanture games or even a whole franchise.

[close]

cat

Thank you for the reviews so far!

Spoiler

About the puzzles being to easy: Slasher and I were "hired" by Blondbraid to design the puzzles - looks like we did our job only so-so, if they were too easy  :P
The maze puzzle was originally more complicated and I agree that using the lantern for a puzzle would have been a great idea. But you can do only so much within a month...
[close]

Stupot

Stupot

Well the votes are in and have been counted by our panel of experts. The winner is:

Cave of Avarice

Well done gang. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for July.

Commiserations to the other team.

Slasher

I thought A Suspicious Date was a great idea for the topic and a great idea overall  (nod)

Watch out for women who carry axe's  (laugh)

lanchong

I voted for A Suspicious Date because it was original and fitted the theme very well.

Cave of Avarice is a great short game and I liked it too. Congratulations.

Thanks to all game makers for keeping us entertained every month !

Durq

Thanks to everyone who played the games and voted and commented. It is much appreciated.

cat

Thank you so much for playing and voting!
And I agree with lanchong, A Suspicious Date was very original and fitted the theme. If if were a bit longer, I'm sure it would have gotten more votes.

Blondbraid

Thanks to everyone who played, commented and voted!

DBoyWheeler

Yeah, again, due to my chaotic work schedule, I knew my entry would never be done in time.  So I'm working on it as a stand alone short game.

But anyway, congratulations to cat, Slasher, and Blondbraid.

Retro Wolf

Congratulations to Blondbraid, Cat, and Slasher!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk