If On A Winter's Night, Four Travelers

Started by Laura Hunt, Thu 03/10/2019 06:23:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

How can you guys put so much beautiful detail into so few pixels is a mystery to me.
Keep up the good work.  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

ukz530

Cool! Animation or atmosphere is so cool. I'm looking forward to the next thread.  (laugh)

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 27/03/2020 19:02:47
How can you guys put so much beautiful detail into so few pixels is a mystery to me.

And you should see the stuff that we don't want to show because we're saving the best for the game! :-D There are some animations there that when he sent me the spritesheets I was like how in HELL did you do that... I'm the biggest fan of his work myself tbh, hahah. Hope my writing will be half as good ;-D

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 27/03/2020 19:02:47
Keep up the good work.  (nod)

Quote from: ukz530 on Fri 27/03/2020 20:00:41
Cool! Animation or atmosphere is so cool. I'm looking forward to the next thread.  (laugh)

Thanks for the kind words!

Creamy

QuoteBut laudanum helps, for a while. Makes the pain go away, for a while. And brings sleepless dreams, sometimes...
I get some House of Mirth vibes even if Lady Winterbourne doesn't seem to face the same problems as Lily Bart.

QuoteWe won't be using Sierra-style portraits in the end, however, since we find Lucasarts-style dialogue looks better integrated and cleaner.

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/NfLXLpf.png[/imgzoom]
Neat portrait. I agree that you probably don't need them with your skilled writing and such animations.

Ali

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Creamy on Sat 28/03/2020 00:20:25
QuoteBut laudanum helps, for a while. Makes the pain go away, for a while. And brings sleepless dreams, sometimes...
I get some House of Mirth vibes even if Lady Winterbourne doesn't seem to face the same problems as Lily Bart.

I've never read it, but going by the summary, I see what you mean ;)

Quote from: Creamy on Sat 28/03/2020 00:20:25
Neat portrait. I agree that you probably don't need them with your skilled writing and such animations.

Quote from: Ali on Sat 28/03/2020 00:34:03
This looks fantastic.

Thank you! *curtsies*

LimpingFish

This looks very nice! Seriously! Looking forward to playing the finished game!
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

selmiak

the background is still very beautiful but that animation is so smooooooth I can hear her clothes rustle already :)

KyriakosCH

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

KyriakosCH

Inland Empire :)

I usually dislike Lynch, but I liked Inland Empire.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 03/04/2020 09:24:56

By coincidence, I just watched Inland Empire recently, and it made my head hurt a little. And these Lynchian jump scares, lol...

--nightmare warning--
Spoiler

I had some guess about whole story, but maybe it was my personal imagining and not what David Lynch actually meant.

I think "Mullholland Drive" is my favourite film, out of his "surreal" films. It's also the one which is easiest to understand (you only have to watch it twice and things begin to make almost perfect sense :) )

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 03/04/2020 21:42:53
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 03/04/2020 09:24:56

By coincidence, I just watched Inland Empire recently, and it made my head hurt a little. And these Lynchian jump scares, lol...

--nightmare warning--
Spoiler

I had some guess about whole story, but maybe it was my personal imagining and not what David Lynch actually meant.

I think "Mullholland Drive" is my favourite film, out of his "surreal" films. It's also the one which is easiest to understand (you only have to watch it twice and things begin to make almost perfect sense :) )

^_^

A bit off-topic, so inside the spoiler (my thoughts about the Inland Empire plot)

Spoiler
I assumed that the trauma-ridden east european girl was watching some sitcom/other on tv and hypnotized herself into thinking she was the heroine of that show (played in the film by Laura Dern). I did like the metaphor "Inland Empire"; very suggestive. I mean, if you are in some massive unknown empire that is landlocked, you are unlikely to ever return  :=
That said, I suppose that Lynch usually doesn't have a very specific account of everything/how all ties up, and rarely (eg MH drive) is one readily available.
[close]

Laura Hunt

I absolutely hated Inland Empire the first time I watched it. I left the cinema ranting and raving about how David Lynch had lost it and how this was just a brain fart and he'd gone off the deep end and he wasn't even trying anymore. I've now watched it 5 times and it's one of my favourite movies. Go figure.

(I still hate
Spoiler
Twin Peaks: The Return, though. What a pile of crap... Make a movie with the first episode and the two final ones and throw everything else in the trash.)
[close]

I like Mulholland Drive, but sometimes it's too obvious that it was meant to be a pilot episode for a TV series, and that some characters were meant to have wider arcs (Mr. Roque, the two guys at Winkie's) so they were left without much purpose in the movie. In many ways I prefer Lost Highway because it has a near-perfect balance between comprehensibility (not that it really matters, but you can make sense of it) and plain off-the-wall Lynch weirdness.

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sat 04/04/2020 04:21:09
A bit off-topic, so inside the spoiler (my thoughts about the Inland Empire plot)
Spoiler
I assumed that the trauma-ridden east european girl was watching some sitcom/other on tv and hypnotized herself into thinking she was the heroine of that show (played in the film by Laura Dern). I did like the metaphor "Inland Empire"; very suggestive. I mean, if you are in some massive unknown empire that is landlocked, you are unlikely to ever return  :=
That said, I suppose that Lynch usually doesn't have a very specific account of everything/how all ties up, and rarely (eg MH drive) is one readily available.
[close]

Spoiler
That makes a lot of sense, especially when you know that Inland Empire is a relatively poor area in Los Angeles where unemployment and crime are much higher than the average, and given Lynch's penchant for showing the hidden dark aspects underneath everyday life (Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks) or Hollywood glamour (Mulholland Drive), I wouldn't be surprised if he chose this title with the same idea in mind: in the middle of glamorous, star-studded L.A. you have this neighborhood where the people that didn't make it end up.

Also, Lynch himself announced the movie as being about "a woman in trouble". Most people take this woman to be Laura Dern's character(s), but I agree that it's more likely the Polish woman in the hotel room. I do believe, however, that The Phantom is real and not a figment of her imagination or some kind of metaphor.
[close]

KyriakosCH

^ I like the Busey scene in LH  8-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0SvEUa_F5M

Darth Mandarb

Okay okay let's get back on point here :)

Laura Hunt

Alright, here's a tiny little something else. With sound this time!

(Sorry if the volume is a bit low, it's literally my first time using OBS Studio. Except for that other first time some two years ago when I thought maybe I wanted to do some streaming on Twitch. So it's not literally my first time. ANYWAY.)

Parigi, o cara noi lasceremo
La vita uniti trascorreremo
De' corsi affanni compenso avrai
La tua salute rifiorirà
Sospiro e luce tu mi sarai
Tutto il futuro ne arriderà

lorenzo

La Traviata?
A small typo: it should be "La tua salute rifiorirà", not "rifiorià". :)

Laura Hunt

Quote from: lorenzo on Sun 05/04/2020 18:37:01
La Traviata?

La Traviata indeed! ;-D

Quote from: lorenzo on Sun 05/04/2020 18:37:01
A small typo: it should be "La tua salute rifiorirà", not "rifiorià". :)

Hah, that's what I get for trusting google. Fixed, thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk