Male/Female ratio of AGS developers

Started by OgreVorbis, Wed 16/12/2020 00:20:12

Previous topic - Next topic

OgreVorbis

I know there is no exact number, but what do you believe it to be?
I suspect that in all of the game dev communities, the adventure genre would have the most women in it. I think that primarily because it is much more art involved than other genres and the art doesn't consist of 3D modeling, but rather more "classic" types of artwork.

And when I say developer, I don't just mean programmer, I mean all aspects of the game development including artwork. It would also be interesting how many are actual programmers though.

I also have a feeling that more women play these types of games than other genres. This is not a post trying to say "we need more female devs" or something like that, I'm just curious if this is a genre that is more female dominated.

Babar

The stats page says that the current male to female ratio is 5.6:1, but that also includes people here who only play games, and doesn't include people who may not enter anything into gender when asked.

And I'm not sure your categorisations and reasonings work. For example, there's nothing inherently more masculine about 3D modelling compared to drawing in 2D: e.g. CassieBSG is a AGS game developer here who does her games using 3D modeling.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Ali

I agree with Babar that you're on shaky ground when it comes to natural aptitudes in men and women. Women studying computer science grew and grew until the early 1980s, when the numbers started to go down. Plausibly, because the marketing of home computers exclusively to men and boys put them at a disadvantage.

Nevertheless, Roberta Williams and Jane Jensen were prominent adventure game designers at a time when video games were widely regarded as a boy's thing. I would hope that adventure game communities are more welcoming to women, and others who are often deliberately excluded from 'gamer' spaces.

Babar

Quote from: Ali on Wed 16/12/2020 13:48:41
Nevertheless, Roberta Williams and Jane Jensen were prominent adventure game designers at a time when video games were widely regarded as a boy's thing. I would hope that adventure game communities are more welcoming to women, and others who are often deliberately excluded from 'gamer' spaces.

It's kinda funny that when I ask my (not really gamer) sister to name me some game designers (trying to make a point that most people don't know the game designers behind video games), she immediately replied with "Roberta Williams".  :=
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Danvzare

Quote from: OgreVorbis on Wed 16/12/2020 00:20:12
I also have a feeling that more women play these types of games than other genres. This is not a post trying to say "we need more female devs" or something like that, I'm just curious if this is a genre that is more female dominated.
Based on complete conjecture and meaningless anecdotal evidence, (meaning take what I'm about to say with a pinch of salt,) I've noticed that first person adventure games seem to appeal more to middle-aged and older women. And third person adventure games seem to appeal primarily to Europeans.
There's probably some market research out there that can more concretely tell you what demographics different genres appeal to.

It would of course be easy to assume that the demographics that a genre appeals to, would more likely attract people from that demographic as developers. But you know what they say about assuming.  (roll)

I have personally never seen gender play a part in someone's preferred type of artwork, such as 2D vs 3D. So I highly doubt that would influence the numbers.

As for the ratio between men and women AGS developers. If I had to make an uneducated guess, I'd say about 65% men and 35% women. That's probably wrong though.

Stupot

When I try to think of AGSers who actually put out games every so often (or work on AGS games in some capacity), I think it might as well be 50/50. I mean maybe there are more guys, but it’s not as though we’re lacking in female representation.

When it comes to AGSers who fart about and never actually make anything (guilty), the proportion of males to females feels much higher.

What I’m trying to say is that AGS girls put out more than the guys.

Slasher

Whilst women can be just as good as men, some even better, my guess is that women are more realistic and have more important issues to attend to hence the stats....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk