MAGS March “Journey” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Wed 03/03/2021 12:38:26

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS April?

Food Wars by Slasher
2 (20%)
I Rented a Boat by eri0o
5 (50%)
Huggles Goes on a Trip by fernewelten
1 (10%)
Return Journey by GOC Games
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: Fri 23/04/2021 05:28:26

Stupot

The winner of MAGS March is...
I Rented a Boat by Eri0o
Very well done.

Food Wars
by Slasher
I Rented a Boat
by eri0o
Huggles Goes on a Trip
by fernewelten

Win | Lin
Return Journey
by GOC GAMES

Journey
Set by Racoon and Slasher

One day you find yourself on the road, if for a small trip or an epic adventure is your choice. It is not about the Destination, it is about the Journey.

What is MAGS?
Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the guidelines set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Blondbraid

I've had an idea for some time now, though it's mostly about a bit of a pit stop rather than a full journey, would it still fall under the theme?

Stupot

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 03/03/2021 17:16:40
I've had an idea for some time now, though it's mostly about a bit of a pit stop rather than a full journey, would it still fall under the theme?

I’m sure you can make it fit. Technically we’re all constantly on a journey of some sort at any given moment.

Slasher

Well,

Suppose there is a kind of real major problem... Maybe all your food has been stolen and all the creatures are dying from starvation... Maybe the thieves are Locusts who are going from village to village demanding food with menaces. With very little food left and creatures dying you decide to confront the Locusts and bring your food home... Of course the journey is far and you are getting weaker by the minute...

This is an idea I have brewing...

eri0o

This is a great theme and I think I have an idea I can quickly do something playable by Saturday - and then spent all the rest of time fixing my broken language and idnk, polishing or something...

If anyone would like to test, write here and I will direct link Saturday or Sunday when I get something minimal working.

heltenjon

Quote from: eri0o on Fri 05/03/2021 12:03:22
If anyone would like to test, write here and I will direct link Saturday or Sunday when I get something minimal working.

Sure, I'm up for testing.  (nod)

eri0o

Quote from: heltenjon on Fri 05/03/2021 12:14:30Sure, I'm up for testing.  (nod)

I sent you a link through message. Not sure if I can finish on time but I will try to plan to!

Also, thanks Racoon and Slasher for the great theme!

Blondbraid

I've started, though the background is currently a placeholder:

As you see it will be about exploring an island whilst on a journey across the sea.

Slasher

Welcome back in the game Blondbraid..... Looks good  (nod)

Blondbraid

KyriakosCH

Nice theme...

As usual, I will possibly try, but can't make any promise... :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

eri0o

My game has an island too, so I wonder if more games with islands will happen. :-D

Mandle

Slasher, I miss your smiley face avatar.

DBoyWheeler

An entry already.

Hopefully with this theme of Journey, they'll follow the guidelines... "Faithfully".

(Right, there's the corner, going over there now.)

eri0o

Damn Locusts! I was eagerly waiting if you were going to open the map. I like how it unrolls and rolls back! Pretty cool!

Racoon

I am really excited for the games that evolve from this theme. I will definitly play& rate!

eri0o

First scene. My game is not going to look pretty, and it's going to be super short, but hopefully it is interesting.

Edit: Also a dark place...

Edit2: Finished the Title Screen and the game Menu:

Slasher

Looking really cool eri0o (nod)

My entry is almost ready...

eri0o

Whoo! I think I will use the time until deadline to try to add a bit more content.

I got water working but it's looking much better in engine itself. Gif kinda killed the different blues...  :(

heltenjon

Slasher

Food Wars

Locusts have been stealing the food of other creatures who are now starving. Can Hammy Hamster journey and save the day?  This is food wars!

Made with my Slasher Template Version 1.1....

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2523-food-wars

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2523-food-wars

ddavey1983

Hello

Just a quick question on the rules: does all the art need to be done within the month as well or i it just the programming? Can you use backgrounds and sprites you've used before/had laying around?

Thanks

Slasher

All work generally should be done by the deadline...

Usually you can use exiting graphics...

ddavey1983

Thanks! I wasn’t very clear in what I asked, I meant do you have to draw all the graphics within the month but you answered that anyway so thanks again!

I’m down to the wire on this one. Is the deadline 00:00 on 01/04?

Thanks

Cassiebsg

Technically, it's 23:59 GMT 31/03, but nobody will disqualify you if you post it 00:00... 00:30... if gets much later, give a shout out, and I'm sure you' be allowed to.  ;)

After all, this contest is more about incentivization game creation and releasing a game within a certain time limit, than a fierily competition where the winner will win money or some other monetary value stuff...  We're all suppose to be (and stay) friends here.  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

ddavey1983

That’s great, thanks. It should be done on time. Progressed faster than expected yesterday!

eri0o

I rented a boat

I_rented_a_boat_windows.zip

I_rented_a_boat_linux.tar.gz

Completed Games Thread

AGS Database

A journey sometimes is a short MAGS game and sometimes is a lifetime. This is my entry for this month! I think I will eventually add it to itch.io but for now a direct link to download from Google Drive should suffice. Hope it works!

the game has a known issue that sometimes it fails to restore a save file or restart, I can't figure out why, but if you try again it will eventually work, the saves are not broken!

I also want to thank heltenjon and MorganW for helping me figure out a bunch of things by testing and giving feedback. In the end I overscoped and had to cut a lot but I hope the end result is still cool! I only had time to make the game during late night, so some parts may be hard to see if you are playing during the day...

Blondbraid

I'm sorry to say I won't have a playable entry this MAGS, but my new job has simply taken away too much time and I haven't had the energy to work on it now.

Slasher

Sorry to  hear that Blondbraid but work is work I suppose...

Blondbraid

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 31/03/2021 12:22:14
Sorry to  hear that Blondbraid but work is work I suppose...
Yeah, I'm hoping I'll have better luck in a future MAGS.

fernewelten

Hello Folks,

Easter is just around the corner, and so I've got an Easter adventure for you.

I proudly present as MAGS entry:

Huggles goes on a trip

The rabbits Huggles and his Mum are living peacefully in a bunny meadow. But when they try to sell their eggs this year, they run into a severe snag. Huggles needs to rise above himself to save the day ...

• Fight with a strange lock
  • go on a boating trip
  • outwit a guard
and help Huggles help his mother to sell her Easter eggs!

Standard BASS interface (right-click: examine things; left-click: interact with things).
Get the inventory through the top-left "hamburger" button or tapping the "i" key.

Note that the hotspot of the cursor is Huggles' nose. Helpful if you need to target something tiny on-screen.

I haven't made the 'Credits' room yet, but the upshot is that this has been a lone ride â€" story, puzzles, coding, visuals, background music done by me.

I don't have a Linux box, so I've only tested the Windows version.
Download the game here:

Hints and tips thread: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=58995.msg636634455#new

ddavey1983

RETURN JOURNEY - Made by GOC Games for MAGS March 2021

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2529-return-journey/

It is April 1944. The RAF Lancaster bomber 'Return Journey' hurtles through the dark skies over occupied Europe. With the bombs away, the aircraft has turned for home...but they are not out of the woods yet.

You are Sergeant Percy Smith, flight engineer. Trained in mechanics and first aid, you will play a vital role in getting your six crewmates home safely. Time is of the essence. Hestitate too long and men will die.

In school, you fantasised about a one-way journey to Europe. Now you're trying to avoid it with all your skill and endeavour.

Made in 5 days by GOC Games for MAGS March 2021.

eri0o

ddavey1983, I can't find the link to download yours.

fernewelten

Note: I've discovered a problem with my game uploads. If you've already downloaded the files, please download them again to be on the safe side.

Sorry about that.

eri0o

I just noticed I forgot to mention one key in my controls menu :/ is it ok if I add it?

Edit: Fixed!

Stupot

Nice few entries. Good show, everyone. I’ll sort out the voting etc as soon as I can, so you have about 12 or so hours to fix any last bugs and technical issues :-)

fernewelten

Quote from: eri0o on Wed 31/03/2021 06:45:30
I rented a boat

Well, I'm giving up on this. I feel as if I was caught in a walking simulator, but without the nice visuals.

Making out a "lighthouse mountain" â€" or any mountain as far as that goes â€" is simply beyond me. No matter where I  find myself traipsing around the lake thing, it's all some sort of cliff to me, and anything that isn't the lake could be called a "mountain" to me.

I can't manage to keep any sort of orientation, and I can't make out from the visuals where exactly I am. Subjectively I feel like going straight ahead, but seem to be veering sideways in reality .So I find myself "suddenly" being higher up or lower down or near the cave entry or somewhere else without knowing exactly how or why.

I suppose that there actually is some way of scaling some sort of cliff somewhere, but I haven't been able to make that out in an hour or so. Neither have I been able to make out any better way of handling the UI.

Now my eyes have become tired and strained. :~(

Stupot

Four entries this for March. Well done everyone. Time to vote for your favourite using the poll above.

Don't forget to rate and comment on the games in the database, where possible.

Food Wars
by Slasher
I Rented a Boat
by eri0o
Huggles Goes on a Trip
by fernewelten

Win | Lin
Return Journey
by GOC GAMES

@fernewelten - there seems to be a problem with your images. The forum doesn't seem to like it. If you can sort it out and give me a new link, I'll update the table asap.

As always, let me know if I've made any glaring faux pas.

eri0o

Ok, I played Food Wars and Return Journey! I can't download Huggles Goes on a Trip, I click on the link but it simply doesn't download for me - I am using Google Chrome.

Spoiler
[close]

Here are my notes...

Food Wars
Spoiler
Lovely game! I never had so many items on my inventory! I liked the map menu and clicking to switch places is really practical, I also liked that it was a flying character that drew the eagle's nest. This game has the right amount of backtracking, using the small areas well. When reaching the end, it would be tedious to walk all the way back, so the game has a nice way of doing it for you, I liked that!

I think the fly disappeared, but he says he is disappearing, guess I needed to get him food faster, maybe?

One thing though, I thought the main character was a little pig, so I just ignored that he was to be a hamster and mentally played with him as a little pig!
[close]

Return Journey
Spoiler
I kinda wanted a better look at the aircraft at the start, but I guess this not having it allows you to replay the game. But it works as is, so as you walk, you understand the ship and make yourself ready for the events when them come, so you don't waste any time.

I liked a lot, and the end was a bit terrifying when it hits you with historical facts. The gameplay could work too in a slight bigger ship with procedural disasters hitting, more levels or co-op play!

I couldn't figure how to save the pilot after he gets shot in the leg.
[close]

fernewelten

Quote from: eri0o on Fri 02/04/2021 14:23:58
I can't download Huggles Goes on a Trip,

Please retry downloading. It used to have a problem at some time late yesterday night, but I re-uploaded it then.

EDIT: It seems that certain browsers can't properly grok "http://" addresses. I've modified my configuration so that "https://" addresses now work, too. Please download the game at https://www.loquimur-online.de/ags/HugglesGoesOnATrip/Windows.zip .

heltenjon

My thoughts after finishing the entries:

Huggles Goes on a Trip:
Spoiler
Atmospheric Easter game. I liked the design in levels, where I had to solve the problems in one location before progressing. And the reason it worked, is that the puzzles are designed really well. I especially liked the lock minigame. And the bridge guard had me in stitches. Great dialogue there!
[close]

I Rented a Boat:
Spoiler
How to make a maze that's not a maze? Run around in an open landscape, trying to get a phone signal! This is an experiment with voxelspace rendering, reminding me of time spent playing Super Huey many years ago. I guess the looks won't appeal to everyone, but it's impressive nonetheless. I found this game very hard, but managed to reach the good ending eventually. It was interesting to play something so totally different. I betatested on this one, so I can't vote for it, as I understand the unwritten rules.
[close]

Return Journey:
Spoiler
The timed game mechanics makes a lot of sense in this instance. I had to play twice to save everyone - killed the pilot the first time. I tried to kill everyone after that, just to see if I got to parachute out.  (laugh) The game teaches a lot of war history in five minutes - you're learning while having fun. One error - the bomb aimer has the tail gunner's description.
[close]

Food Wars:
Spoiler
Slasher is great with talking animals, and this game is no exception. The map is very cool and functional, and the personalities of the animals makes this like another children's book come to life. Also fun with the easy arcade sequences.
[close]

So, who to vote for?
Spoiler
I liked all the games, but I think I had the most fun with the puzzles in Huggles Goes on a Trip, so I will vote for that one.
[close]

eri0o

I managed to play Huggles goes on a Trip after the https fix!

But I got totally stuck at a puzzle... And can't finish the game.

Spoiler
[close]

fernewelten

Quote from: eri0o on Sun 04/04/2021 16:47:59
But I got totally stuck at a puzzle...

Spoiler

Look at the tiles marked in red below: Their lines run into an edge of the puzzle. This can't be right. The tiles must be turned in such a way that all the tile lines continue on other tiles or else the lines can't end in a diode. So no tiles can have lines on them that run into a puzzle edge.

For example, take the tile that has been marked in the rightmost column in the picture above. It can only be turned in one of two ways:
or .
All the other orientations make the line run into the puzzle edge.

Now consider the top left tile that has been marked in the top picture above:
The only way it can be turned is  . All the other orientations make its line run into the puzzle edge.

... so the tile to the right of it is okay (its line doesn't run into the puzzle edge and it also joins the line on the adjacent tile)

... but the then following tile is not okay it doesn't join a tile that we know is okay).

So let's turn that latter tile into the only orientation that matches the tile to the left: We get .

But now the tile that follows then can't be right: For one, it runs into the puzzle edge, and for another, it doesn't match its left neighbour....
[close]

Try to see if you can work your way to the solution in this manner. Work from the puzzle edges inwards. Note that the puzzle has a "hole" in the middle: This "hole" is a puzzle edge too.

Shadow1000

Quote from: eri0o on Fri 02/04/2021 14:23:58

Spoiler

I couldn't figure how to save the pilot after he gets shot in the leg.
[close]

Spoiler
look in the toilet on the far right of the airplane
[close]

Shadow1000

Great batch of entries this month!

My thoughts:

Food Wars by Slasher
Spoiler
Great application of the theme. The game features all the elements you expect from a Slasher game! As someone pointed out, the map was a really nice addition over the previous button-driven navigation. I particularly enjoyed the area that was only added when it became available
[close]

I Rented a Boat by eri0o
Spoiler
Holy COW! Creating a 3D immersive experience in AGS in a matter of weeks is an unparalleled feat. Good story and gameplay. And I have to mention that I LOVE games where I get to explore!!

I found the graphics to be a bit too unrefined and the navigation confusing at times, particularly in caves. There were times that I wasn't clear on what happened (I actually didn't know that I acquired the cube or that it was a cube, or the key until I saw them in inventory. I felt myself getting a bit impatient during the text-only intro to the game.

That said, this entry is a groundbreaker and really opens new options for what you can do in AGS.
[close]

Spoiler
This game clinched it in all areas: idea, story, graphics, puzzles, humour. I LOVED the feminist guard persona and how a puzzle was made out of her!
[close]

Spoiler
Not as much an adventure game as quick thinking and action. I played 3 times till I got a perfect score. I would recommend that when the game ends, you get more of a comment on your performance rather than a generic explanation. Overall a really nice experience
[close]

And the vote goes to....
Spoiler
Actually, to me it was a toss up between I Rented a Boat because of the effort in almost inventing a game engine for a contest entry and Huggles. I thought about it and overall, I felt I had a more enjoyable experience playing Huggles because despite being more conventional, it felt more complete and refined and therefore received by vote.
[close]

Great job!
Huggles Goes on a Trip by ferneweltenReturn Journey by GOC Games

fernewelten

Something is off.  ;-D
Going by what people have claimed, there should be (at least) two votes for Huggles Goes On A Trip.

Creamy

Congratulations Eri0o

Some late reviews:

Food Wars by Slasher
Spoiler
Quite long. I wasn't really sold on the story or the puzzles but I could proceed without much trouble.
[close]

I Rented a Boat by eri0o
Spoiler
Technical achievement and well-written dialogs in my view.
[close]

Spoiler
Fernewelten delivers once again a lengthy MAGS game.
Solid puzzles and decent graphics. The story was rather child-oriented.

I'm not sure how I feel about the female guard though.
Women have been subject to gender discrimination for centuries. In some countries or circles they still are. Staging a stupid misandric may come across as tactless.
[close]

Spoiler
Nice little game. Only half of my crew members were saved at first but I felt compelled to retry.
[close]

eri0o

8-0

Thanks everyone who voted for it!   :-D

Guess I get to pick next theme? How does it work? :) (I have some ideas already)

Slasher

Quote from: eri0o on Sun 25/04/2021 15:51:08
8-0

Thanks everyone who voted for it!   :-D

Guess I get to pick next theme? How does it work? :) (I have some ideas already)

Stupot will message you soon about submitting a topic along with some image ideas you have for the topic.....etc

eri0o

Stupot

The winner of MAGS March is...
I Rented a Boat by Eri0o
Very well done.

As Slasher said, I’ll PM you soon about choosing a new topic. Glad you’ve got some ideas already.

Thanks to all participants and voters.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk