Super Star Trek (1978) meets 25th Anniversary

Started by Manu, Fri 20/01/2023 14:51:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Manu

Super Star Trek (1978) meets 25th Anniversay

Hello everyone! I finally released my remake of Super Star Trek 1978, made with AGS.

Download links
Itch Download Page
AGS Games Entry

Clearly, this is a free fan game that I created just for fun. There are three main reasons why I started this project:

• I'm a fan of the old text-only Star Trek game, particularly the version contained in the 1978 book BASIC COMPUTER GAMES. I know the code very well; I had already converted it to several programming languages and created a graphical version when I ported it to PICO-8.
  • In general, I love the original series of Star Trek, and one of my favorite games ever is the graphic adventure Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, released by Interplay in 1992.
  • Finally, I wanted to learn how to code in AGS properly, creating a complex program, not just adding some lines of code to the rooms. Converting a strategy game from LUA to AGS looked like the proper challenge :)

So here you are. A new version of the old strategy game, with a graphical user interface, where the playfield is the main screen of the Enterprise, seen from the bridge of Star Trek 25th Anniversary. My first turn-based strategy game built with AGS. You issue commands by interacting with the Enterprise crew: you will ask Sulu to lay in a course, Chekov to fire phasers, or Spock to give you the status. Since I was having a lot of fun, I also added some voices recorded from the episodes.

To know how to play, read the instructions on the download page.

Let me know if you like it (or if you don't). Have fun!

CaptainD

Wow this looks great! I've always intended to get round to playing the adventure game (although haven't yet) and I did have the text-based game (or at least, a version thereof) many years back on the Atari ST. I think it may have been about the only game I ever had that would only run in medium res!)

Adding the recorded voices sounds like a lot of fun (and hopefully not a cause for any legal issues?!). Looking forward to giving this a go.  8-)

Manu

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 20/01/2023 15:24:50Adding the recorded voices sounds like a lot of fun (and hopefully not a cause for any legal issues?!). Looking forward to giving this a go.  8-)

Well.. yes, everything in this game is risky. I will shut it down if somebody complains. Play it now before it's too late! Ahaha!

CaptainD

Quote from: Manu on Fri 20/01/2023 15:50:41Well.. yes, everything in this game is risky. I will shut it down if somebody complains. Play it now before it's too late! Ahaha!

Already downloaded  ;)

heltenjon

I just played. I've played Super Star Trek or clones of it back in the day, on Sharp MZ-721 and Commodore 64. So this was a welcome tour of nostalgia for me. I actually own the 25th Anniversary game, but never got around to playing it (bought a pack of Star Trek games in some collection, probably for DOS). I recognize the screenshots, but feel a pang of guilt for that unopened box on a shelf in the basement.

I enjoyed playing this. The game itself is the basic game I played years back, but the graphics and sound add a lot to the atmosphere. Even if Picard is the Captain for me, not Kirk. This was a fun casual game (at the standard settings, at least). Controls are easy and intuitive,and I noticed that I buy more into the very limited controls because with these graphics and sound clips, I'm accepting that I don't drive the ship - I give the orders and my officers execute them.

Manu

Quote from: heltenjon on Fri 20/01/2023 21:23:29I just played. I've played Super Star Trek or clones of it back in the day, on Sharp MZ-721 and Commodore 64. So this was a welcome tour of nostalgia for me.

Great! I'm glad you liked it. Try difficulty 4 for a real challenge; Klingons are more powerful and you only have one base to help you.
I have to say I love Picard and TNG too, but the original game had Kirk. Besides, Picard would never destroy 30 Klingon ships; he would try to negotiate  :cheesy:

Thanks a lot for playing!

heltenjon

I don't think I ever beat it on the highest difficulty settings on the Commodore 64, so I doubt I'll fare any better here.  :-D

CaptainD

I was doing great, then accidentally fired photon torpedoes into a star and had shields down, so it was game over for me!  (laugh)

Manu

Ahah shields! Never forget the shields, and keep them around 1000 to be safe; you can always move energy back to phasers or engines if necessary.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk