AGS 3.6.0 - Beta 15

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sun 20/03/2022 20:23:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: greg on Sun 27/03/2022 20:43:50
3. For the masks toggled by the Debug(2, n), is there a way to adjust their size (e.g. to make them full screen)?

I cannot guess what does this mean, are they not overlaying correctly? Could you post a screenshot?

Quote from: greg on Sun 27/03/2022 20:43:50
I tried adjusting General Settings > Rooms > Default mask resolution, but it had no effect.

This setting means the mask's granularity relative to the room background, i.e. 1:1, 1:2 etc, the larger the second value is the less precise the mask is.
This affects every interaction with the mask: hotspot clicks, pathfinding on walkable area, and so on.

greg

3. For the masks toggled by the Debug(2, n), is there a way to adjust their size (e.g. to make them full screen)?

I cannot guess what does this mean, are they not overlaying correctly? Could you post a screenshot?

Sure, here's a screenshot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HK2B1U6ct4WUo2w1x2lAr-zaZBPLsxga/view?usp=sharing

The mask is in the top-left quarter of the screen.  I'm trying to make it full-screen, as in 3.5.1.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: greg on Sun 27/03/2022 22:10:09
Sure, here's a screenshot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HK2B1U6ct4WUo2w1x2lAr-zaZBPLsxga/view?usp=sharing

The mask is in the top-left quarter of the screen.  I'm trying to make it full-screen, as in 3.5.1.

I'm thinking that this error happens if mask resolution in the room is 1:2, half of the background size, and engine forgets to scale the debug image to the room's size.

Stranga

Thanks, @CrimsonWizard for the fix and for finding that script mistake too, all fixed and working perfectly!

Crimson Wizard

greg

Quote@greg, I think i fixed the debug overlay here:

Yep, that fixed the debug overlay issue. Thank you!

Hobbes

Woohoo! Updated just now. Thank you so much for this! I've been quietly updating from every 3.6.0 alpha version and great to see we're in beta. My game's working & compiling great! (Mac M1 native even, very excited!)

Crimson Wizard

Updated to Beta 2
(use download links in the first post)

Editor:
- Fixed saving of 16-bit sprites with "Sprite storage optimization" enabled.

Script API:
- Extended Button.Animate() to have blocking style, direction and starting frame parameters.

So now it is
Code: ags
Button.Animate(int view, int loop, int delay, RepeatStyle=eOnce, BlockingStyle=eNoBlock, Direction=eForwards, int frame=0);

Note that the default value for BlockingStyle is eNoBlock, unlike for characters and objects, because historically button animations were nonblocking.

Engine:
- In the new key input mode, only key state is only updated once a game frame. This prevents situations when, for example, calling IsKeyPressed during one script callback may return different results without explicit engine updates (Wait calls) in between.
As one of the consequences, this means that the following code will no longer work:

while (!IsKeyPressed(eKeySpace)) { }

And must be:

while (!IsKeyPressed(eKeySpace)) { Wait(1); }

- 24-bit wav PCM support, comes with the new sound library.
- Fixed repeatedly execute callback was called numerous times in one frame right after any blocking action.
- Fixed some mp3 sounds were not playing a bit of sound in the end.
- Fixed AudioChannel.Position return value was incorrect right after successful Seek.
- Fixed 1 extra chunk of sound from the old position could be played after Seek.
- Fixed room debug overlays were not scaled properly if room masks resolution is other than 1:1.
- Fixed missing log group letter id for "script" ('s') used in config and command line.

vga256

Excellent news. Thanks CW, eri0o and team!

FanOfHumor

Is the number of objects per room increased in this version?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Pajama Sam on Sat 09/04/2022 06:27:12
Is the number of objects per room increased in this version?

No, I would have noted that in the changes.

Maybe i could look into increasing it while this version is still in beta; but right now I'm busy on some perfomance improvements, so maybe later...

vga256

Found a new bug in 3.6.0b2 - labels no longer "pass through" clicks to GUI elements below (lower z-order), even though their "Enabled" and "Clickable" properties are set to false (you also get the same behaviour when Enabled is true). Demo project here. Drag away the label from the button to make the button function again. Drag label back over top of button to block clicks.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: vga256 on Mon 11/04/2022 17:04:00
Found a new bug in 3.6.0b2 - labels no longer "pass through" clicks to GUI elements below (lower z-order), even though their "Enabled" and "Clickable" properties are set to false (you also get the same behaviour when Enabled is true).

Fixed, should be available as this temp build here (when it finishes building):
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/5006924272893952

vga256

Works great. Thanks for the quick fix CW.

Eon_Star

Hi, I did test it works fine. Maybe you should add the mirror function under the hotspot options and the region sound property or options. Would do great. Thanks guys.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Eon_Star on Fri 15/04/2022 17:11:27
Maybe you should add the mirror function under the hotspot options and the region sound property or options.

Please elaborate?

Eon_Star

Hi, I mean maybe the under the hotspot options or region options (property window), there could be some functions to make a mirror from the hotspot. For example "Ä°s hotspot a mirror? true / false" and "Which region number ?  Region number : 1". Of course inside the room the right hotspot and region should be selected.

And inside the region properities we may choose, if there is a walk sound for the specified region number, like "Walk sound : True/ False", "Character Name : cEgo" "Walk sound number: 1". Something like that. A different sound for each region, when character walk on those regions.

Thanks for considering.

vga256

Quote from: Eon_Star on Fri 15/04/2022 21:01:03
Hi, I mean maybe the under the hotspot options or region options (property window), there could be some functions to make a mirror from the hotspot. For example "Ä°s hotspot a mirror? true / false" and "Which region number ?  Region number : 1". Of course inside the room the right hotspot and region should be selected.

And inside the region properities we may choose, if there is a walk sound for the specified region number, like "Walk sound : True/ False", "Character Name : cEgo" "Walk sound number: 1". Something like that. A different sound for each region, when character walk on those regions.

Thanks for considering.

This seems like functionality that not be added in-engine, but via scripting. Recommendation: Add a Custom Property (-> Room -> Properties ... -> Edit Schema -> R-Click and Add New Property) called "IsMirror" or "Mirror" of Boolean type. Add a checkmark for Hotspots. Then this can be checked/set in your Room script via hHotspotWhatever.GetProperty("Mirror") and SetProperty("Mirror"). The same can be done for Walk sounds in specified Walkable Areas.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Eon_Star on Fri 15/04/2022 21:01:03

Are you speaking of making a visual effect that shows the character in a mirror?

This is of course not a problem of adding a property, but a much bigger problem of designing and coding such feature. Something like that has to be thoroughly planned first (what is expected from this function, how it is implemented technically, and so on). It's not even clear what should be shown in such "mirror", as the AGS rooms are not 3D, and engine has no idea about perspective, and objects opposing a "mirror".

Personally, I think in 2D games effects like that are better done with a script. Right now the mirror may be scripted, for example, using second character hiding under walk-behinds and showing in a certain gap. That's much easier to script such custom effect in a couple of rooms, rather than figuring out how to make a universal mirror function in the engine, that would suit everyone.

On the other hand, the region (or rather walkable area?) sounds seem like something that may be considered in the future, as right now game authors have to edit view frame sounds at runtime to achieve different walking sounds. Or at least something that would help to script this easier. Again, this is something that has to be thought through very well, there will be number of questions on how to do this, as sounds have to be played on particular animation frames only, and different sounds may be wanted for different characters.

Eon_Star

Thanks Crimson Wizard.

Maybe the mirror plugin could be inserted somehow as a property option. But I think the AGS came a long way already.

Thanks for your efforts.

;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk