MAGS September "Sometimes Evil Wins" (VOTING)

Started by Stupot, Fri 02/09/2022 05:39:51

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS September?

The Stinker by Slasher
2 (13.3%)
Siren by GOC Games
7 (46.7%)
Unfair by ZapZap
6 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: Fri 21/10/2022 02:03:09

Stupot

Theme: Sometimes Evil Wins
Set by: Lapsking

The Stinker
by Slasher
Siren
by GOC Games
Unfair
by ZapZap

Never Tom can eat Jerry. Always cops put bad guys behind the bars at the end. Always good defeats evil. But only in stories. The reality is countless cats have killed countless mouses. The reality is Countless thieves, murderers and rapists could run away from justice. In fact through history most of the time Purple Tentacles rule the world and there isn't much Bernard and his friends can do. Real life is far from Hollywood. Sometimes evil wins.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.[/size]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Slasher

One idea I have:

In the quite town of "Sleepyville" an evil Corporation Boss sets out to create chaos for the Townsfolk of Sleepyville for the sheer fun of it....and at the same time make as much money as he can!

The Evil Boss sends his minions out to cause as much chaos as they can and make himself richer!

How much chaos can they cause and how much can the Evil Boss make?

A journey into how Evil gets rich  (laugh)

DBoyWheeler

So it's kinda like a MAGS version of "Quest for Infamy".  Kinda.

Well, good luck to the contestants.

heltenjon

I doubt I'll have time for participating this month, but here's an idea for free for those good with animation: You, the archvillain, have the hero captive. You need to build a death trap he won't escape from while you talk about your diabolical plans. Of course, the hero can escape from almost anything.  (laugh)

adanior

I am going to have way too many ideas for this one. Really grand ideas in scope too, but I need to do something simple.

lapsking

I really hope you turn your ideas into games, can't wait for some devilish fun!
the Thing is in the process, and mostly gone when it's done.

Stupot

Quote from: moraux on Mon 05/09/2022 09:18:44
I am going to have way too many ideas for this one. Really grand ideas in scope too, but I need to do something simple.
Scope creep is the evil that sometimes wins. But there are ways to beat it. Set yourself strict limits in terms of number of rooms, character, items, etc. You can always expand your world with your bigger ideas once the MAGS is over.

Good luck if you do decide to make something.

lapsking

QuoteScope creep is the evil that sometimes wins. But there are ways to beat it.

Whether the main character is evil or is fighting against evil, the whole point is that evil is successful at the end. I think Slasher got it.

ZapZap

I might try to make an AceAttorney-like game, I've been working on it this last 3 days.
Main art is 60% done (part of the main background I got from an past idea that never took off, if that's ok?) but unfortunatelly that's the easy part for a game like this.
I'm still writing the specific "puzzles" and most of the scripting.

It might end up looking like this:

I won't say anything about the story to avoid spoiling the fun
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

lapsking

Clever choice Zap. Here in my country lots of judges are corrupt, don't know about your judge.

ZapZap

Haha in my country we're mostly suspicious about the high ranking ones, those in charge of judging politicians... the others are supposedly fine.
In this game... you'll see (if I'm able to finish it).

BTW I'm looking for someone that might want to make the music and effects!
Please send me a DM (I might post in the Recruitment forum too if by the 16th I don't have anyone and the game is progressing well).

Stupot

@Zapzap (and everyone):

You may or may not already be aware of Eric Matyas’ gigantic trove of license-free music, which he updates with superhuman frequency. If you can’t find someone to help make some original music, be sure to check out his collection.

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53138.0

adanior

So I've spent a week ostensibly planning my game, but not really. The only idea I've come up with is that the player character is an orc in a fantasy setting, which is an adventure game concept I played with in my head before - probably taking influence from Warcraft Adventures. Your character isn't evil, however.

The music resource might be helpful! Thanks Stupot!

lapsking

There is a great website for free sound effects too. www.pixabay.com loads of free sound effects.

adanior

That's also useful! Thanks lapsking.

Seeing ZapZap do this courtroom simulation thing gives more interesting ideas than the orc game I had in mind (which I still want to do, just probably not for MAGS). I kind of want to do something blatantly political. Is that allowed?

lapsking

Of course it can be political. That's the best place for Evil to nest.

adanior

So I finally have something...
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/YDAln4H.png[/imgzoom]
Wish I could screencap some dialogue. This is a very heated debate.
Oh, also.
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/A4OSUN2.png[/imgzoom]

EDIT: Maybe this is a bad idea. I don't know. Amazing how some sleep can change your mind.

ZapZap

Very nice looking moraux!
I'll take a look at those lapsking and Stupot, thanks!
I'm almost done with the first witness (I picture the game with just 2 or 3) but encountering scripting problems, I think I'll post sth in the begginers techQ.

adanior

Quote from: ZapZap on Sun 11/09/2022 20:34:07
Very nice looking moraux!
Thank you! I've got a lot done today (I'm based in the US in case it isn't obvious from the game's screenshot) and this seems like a manageable project given my free time for the month. But I'm worried about releasing this as my first game. It has some very heavy subject matter already in just the debate scene and there are some crazies in this country who will track down and hurt people who say bad things about their preferred politicians, even if indirectly like I am. I may go through and finish this game in the month just for the challenge of it, while keeping in the spirit of MAGS, but may not release it. I just don't want something so political immediately associated with my name.

For reference, my premise for this game is ripped from an American-made fascist propaganda film from the 1930s (that I admittedly haven't watched yet) and I'm about to read a rather depressing sounding book called "The Plot Against America", an alternate history political novel set in 1940, wherein the main scenario people have said, is very similar to what has been going on (and threatens to continue) in the US right now, politically.

I kind of just want to make a silly game about orcs and be immediately known for that. But I want to put time into it.

EDIT: Okay, The Plot Against America is actually a really good read. I don't know if it would be relevant to other people on this forum who are from all over the world, but this is a good book.

heltenjon

Looking and sounding good, guys! As for repercussions by posting something on these pages, the chances are that it will fly well below the radar of even most people on-site. I mean, we have a game here called **** in Trump's Bed. I would love to play a game such as the one you're making, at least. Sounds very interesting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk