MAGS December "Forbidden" (VOTING)

Started by Stupot, Tue 28/11/2023 07:31:54

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS December?

"Not My Ron" by jwalt
2 (15.4%)
"Dead Phones" by noblonski
8 (61.5%)
"Hues of the Haunt" by Kastchey
3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Wed 24/01/2024 09:12:24

Stupot

As a special Christmas treat, I'm giving you a few days head start and a cheeky extra week to make your games. What can I say? The rules are meant to be broken... which is fitting, since this month's theme is "Forbidden"

Theme: Forbidden
Set by: RootBound

Not My Ron
by jwalt
Dead Phones
by noblonski
Hues of the Haunt
by Kastchey

FORBIDDEN

A lot of room to interpret here. Could be as small as a parent's curfew or talking in a movie theater, as medium as forbidden love or trespassing, or as big as a totalitarian 1984 planet. Someone or something in your game should break a rule set by someone or something else.

What is MAGS?
Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the guidelines set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Cassiebsg

Interesting, I'll see if I can think of something interesting and that can be done in about a week (have seem vacation days during xmas and new year. :) crossing fingers I can find the time.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

The Great Underground Empire

...does this mean we can just make a game about whatever we want because we're breaking your rule?  :grin:

4KbShort

This one sounds fun! I'm a bit busy during the beginning half of the month, but with the extra week maybe I can make something happen...  :P  I will have to see!
I have a website: https://www.fordabble.com/
I've made some games: https://4kbshort.itch.io/
I've made some videos: https://www.youtube.com/@encouragingthings
And some game videos: https://www.youtube.com/@4Kbshort

HandsFree

I meant to post in the 'How to get more participation' thread that I wouldn't mind joining, but can't make a game on my own. And then saw that I wrote just that on page one a few years back...

So, since it's been a while that I did any scripting and I like to brush up on that: does anyone like me to help with (or do) the scripting for their game? I may come up with a puzzle or two as well.

Thanks  :)

noblonski

i'm gonna give this a try. bloody beginner on ags but i participated on one of those in the visionaire community about 10 years ago and made first place. funny thing is, the topic was almost the same haha. contests are always a great way to get the skills! let's go and good luck to everyone participating!!

Stupot

Cracking first post noblonski. Welcome to the forum.

Good to see some early interest in this one xxx

noblonski

Quote from: HandsFree on Wed 29/11/2023 23:31:05I meant to post in the 'How to get more participation' thread that I wouldn't mind joining, but can't make a game on my own. And then saw that I wrote just that on page one a few years back...

So, since it's been a while that I did any scripting and I like to brush up on that: does anyone like me to help with (or do) the scripting for their game? I may come up with a puzzle or two as well.

Thanks  :)
as my scripting skills are pretty much 0 i might get back to you about that. 😄

jwalt

Part way through my November MAGS entry, I realized I had stranded two characters in an alternate dimension. I began thinking of how to get them back to their Reality on the Norm. What I'm coming up with can be morphed into a Forbidden entry, so I guess I'm giving it a try. More complex than my November attempt, but making some good progress, already. Fingers crossed.

Edit: Lost a few days with a power supply failure on the system that had the game files. Replaced the supply and hope to have something presentable by the deadline. It's not going to have any puzzles, or inventory use. Just a bunch of conversations with an assortment of RON characters.

Kitty Trouble

Anyone have anything started for this?

Kastchey

Kind of... started late in the month again, trying to use the extra week to finish.

jwalt

Well, here goes...

Help "the boys" explore another RONality. Will they stay, or will they go? 

MediaFire link to game:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/moxppe3wpvnr6h2/NotMyRon.zip/file

I lost five days with a power supply issue on the PC that had the game files. Once I got that fixed, I had a lot of problems resuming work on the game. I think it's playable, but may be breakable? Also, I keep finding spelling issues, so there may be some of those still lurking around. I remarked out the inventory screen, as it was interfering with some hotspots in the City Square. You may need ESC to quit the game. BASS template.

Edit: Some folks may not appreciate my take on The Baywatch Bounce in Josh's portion of the game.

noblonski

Quote from: Kitty Trouble on Wed 03/01/2024 15:37:50Anyone have anything started for this?
yes. final polishing is being applied.
gonna make proper settings & save/load menu and inventory adjustments tomorrow, play around with some scrolling modules a bit and then it's done!

Kitty Trouble

Ok cool, I was just coming on to check for January's theme and noticed that December's didn't have any submissions yet.

Kastchey

noblonski

Dead Phones

Ok, here we go!

There is an english and a german version.

Should work ok. I hope. haha.

EDIT:
fireplace bug fixed
ladder bug fixed too
chessbook bug fixed too, timer for additional hint added
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2721-dead-phones/

heltenjon

Great work, guys. Remember to also add your games to the main database, please.  (nod)

jwalt

Quote from: noblonski on Sat 06/01/2024 12:41:56Dead Phones

Ok, here we go!

Playing through this, this AM. Very impressive. May need a hint, however. Also, a comment:

Spoiler

Looks like I'm going to need a hint about the cat food? Seems like I'm going to need something to carry it in, but haven't found anything that works. Unless, of course, there's some other way to deal with the crow?

Seems to be a sticky walk path issue, near the bathtub with the body. It's not a game breaker, since scrolling along the bottom brings up the "door" and will allow exiting the room. Everything else seems to work, and how'd you manage to get so much into the game in a month?  :shocked:

[close]

jwalt

Quote from: Kitty Trouble on Sat 06/01/2024 17:58:29
Quote from: jwalt on Sat 06/01/2024 16:21:55
Spoiler
cat food
[close]

Where did you find that?

Spoiler
In the first apartment, the cat has a bowl of water and food near the shelf, on the floor, on the left side of the room.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk