MAGS - JUNE

Started by magintz, Sun 01/06/2003 11:46:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

This MAGS competition has just started but with likely more than one participant now here's a question about the voting:

As you might have noticed the new MAGS website also offers an online voting system. It uses a temporary IP lock, can show the current vote results or hide them (of course it's nice to see directly who's about to win, but it's also nice to be surprised by the ceremonies). For all who want to check the online voting system I set up a demo (results visible) based on the competition 2003-02: You find a link to it at the bottom of the voting section.

I don't know if the MAGS teams wants to stick to the usual e-mail voting or wants to use this website feature... So what do you think about using the online system?

Bob The Hun

I'm thinking that i might just enter this one, assuming that i can think of a movie.

Duzz

how 'bout doing the film 'sleep' by andy warhol...
I really wan't to enter this one, but I have uni exams starting next week =(
But that means I get next month off, so I may enter then =)

btw, The voting system is great, but you shouldn't be able to see the results before you vote, cause It'll influence peoples decisions...  I always go for the underdog ('cause I'm aussie i guess)
Powerhoof - My new indie games company! | Wintermute Studios - My older AGS games: The Historical League of Bouncy Boxing, Grr! Bearly Sane,  Duzz Quest...

magintz

I agree with Duzz; the results should NOT be able to be seen and should be a suprise. I really like everything you've done with the site, and the voting system is great.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

aussie

I prefer to see who is about to win...
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Timosity

I think it's a bit silly to be able to see who's winning cause it will persuade people to vote a certain way, which will change the result completely.

Surprise is a must

Squinky

Yep, It would be goofy to see the results...

Klaus

Well, if it's a problem for you to see the current results before submitting your vote, it is also possible to set up the system so that it only shows the results after your made your decision. I switched the settings of the demo over to this option now. You can have a new look at it if you want to (IP lock is reset)...

To keep the votes hidden and make the results visible one or two days after the voting period's end is probably the way to go, right? So you can be surprised by a ceremonies trailer and you finally can see if your favourite game ever had a chance to win the competition  :)

Alkaline=P

QuoteI've also started. My game is a bit of a mixture between Casablanca...
Damn, I was going to do a Casablanca game...
Grim Fandango's already covered it in a parody kinda way too.... ^_^
But they never made a sequel to the original movie, so I might do something set after, or before...
Or I might do some sorta parody of 'Igby Goes Down', I don't know...

I wanted to start the AGTV thing, but nobody seems to have a game near completion...Also loads of people are entering this already..I might give it a shot, I don't know..

Mikko

Oh, I don't get a free win this time? ;)

Anyway, after couple of days thinking, twiddling thumbs and making extensive Google-work, I've decided to look around and see if I'm going to get anything released.

I'm making a game based on the Carol Reed's classic "The Third Man".

If I'm not getting it in the way I want then there will be no game. I really want to do something worth showing as we're speaking of interferring one of the greatest films ever made.

I have the general plot ready, so now it's mainly spriting for next week. Here's a very preliminary scene with one of the characters:

Bob The Hun

A question..
I couldn't think of anything to do, so I started looking around in the video cabinet, and i think I might have a topic. Can I do one on Veggietales?
Theres a few full-length movies (and the videos are kinda short movies).
Just wanted to make sure I'm following the rules before i get started.

Eggie

Can I do Lord of the Rings?

I know it wasn't origianally a movie but it's the easiest thing to make a light spoff on ever.

Plus, I haven't read the books so I could only really parody the movie...

aussie

I had also gone for the "noir" graphics...
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

magintz

bob and eggie - yes you can
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

|Alky|

Okay, sorry, I've got more questions..
Does it have to based around a particular movie, or can it be a genre? I wanted to do a sorta tribute to realism movies like Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan, The Great Escape and Kelly's Heroes, but using really simple graphics...
I wanted to create an original story, but based heavily around the others. Even the graphics style is a spoof...
I'd also like to borrow from other films, like vietnam era ones...will that idea be allowed?

Art Style....(I found this while searching for something for photoshop friday, and if the artist dosen't reply negatively to my e-mail I'll use this as the main title thing...)
Alex 'Alkaline' Cline

We're going back to the tick tock to get the boo-boo. Send for backup. - Baby's Day Out

magintz

Sorry, I have to draw the line somewhere, and you have to base it round one film, either a parody of or an extension of the film.

|Alky|

I understand...
I just wondered 'cause of aussie's idea.
I'll try and do something, but probably won't manage it, since I'm actually workin' on this show of mine again...
Alex 'Alkaline' Cline

We're going back to the tick tock to get the boo-boo. Send for backup. - Baby's Day Out

juncmodule

My entry:

Download "Tom Hanks Away" HERE!

EDIT: You can view the walkthrough HERE

...and here is a screenshot:

later,
-junc

jetxl

Man, I alwais wanted to do a ''Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'' game.
...and now it's a pecfect time to do it.
It can be a prequal, can't it?

''To rare to live, to weird to die.''

aussie

To make things fair I'll stick with a single movie too. I take Casablanca.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk