New AGS Website

Started by Pumaman, Fri 27/03/2009 22:37:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicky

I think we're getting a little too anal about this.

ProgZ sprites are lovely, could do we being double sized.

AGS Panal Rating:             
Player Rating:                   

If not just use red cups.

Andail

I for one didn't see roger's face in there at all. I saw it as a cinnamon bun or something.
But anyways...

Lufia

Are the mockup pages in the first post still representative of the new style ? With the blue external luor around everything, I think it ends up looking like some cheap livejournal. -_-' I've a problem with the whole color scheme, actually, which makes everything look quite bland.

But it's probably too late to convince anybody to try something different ?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Here's a quick double-sized cup to go with the 2x coin I made earlier:

Roger always did look like he had a cinnamon roll on his head, so I guess it makes sense.

Edit:  Here's one last variant of the coin with a darker outline and a more symmetric shape.

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Lufia on Thu 07/01/2010 12:58:46
Are the mockup pages in the first post still representative of the new style ?

I haven't read through this thread since it was first created, so I can't remember what stuff we had in the beginning for ideas.  But this is the design that was voted for by most people, and will be the new page.  Designed by Loominous and Darth (and I believe formatted into a website form by CJ):  http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/Newsite/Home.aspx

edit:
Actually I decided to see what a mock-up of Progz cups would look like on the site (had to slightly resize them):
New:

vs

Old:

Ali

I don't think ProgZMax's icons quite fit, because they look very pixel art and the rest of the design is vector smooth. Since pixel art is fitting for AGS, could I suggest a subtle and soft drop shadow on the cups which might help blend them into the design. I also think there should be a pixel or two between each cup.

I'm not sure about using Roger's face on a coin, because I'm still hoping that ProgZMax's updated Roger design will one day replace the old one!

Actually, I don't think Roger should feature in any of the icons. I love what Chris Jones has given us in AGS, but Roger is a yellow-faced mutant I'd be glad to see the misshapen back of. He also means nothing to those who are new to AGS and just browsing for a game.

Peder 🚀

If the cups are to be redone, redo the content advisory icons too!

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Ali on Thu 07/01/2010 17:49:50
Since pixel art is fitting for AGS, could I suggest a subtle and soft drop shadow on the cups which might help blend them into the design. I also think there should be a pixel or two between each cup.

Here we go:

(yes, I literally have nothing better to do.  ;D)

DoorKnobHandle

Love those new cups but now the contest advisory symbols stand out. Re-do them in the same style and we have a winner imho.

Lufia

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Thu 07/01/2010 16:09:33
I haven't read through this thread since it was first created, so I can't remember what stuff we had in the beginning for ideas.  But this is the design that was voted for by most people, and will be the new page.  Designed by Loominous and Darth (and I believe formatted into a website form by CJ):  http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/Newsite/Home.aspx
Yeah, that's what's linked in the first post too. And I reiterate : I find the color scheme dreadful. But if it's been decided by a vote, I'm not going to start an uprising to convince people my opinion is better than theirs. I'll stick to whining it was better before once the new site goes online. >.>

Crimson Wizard

There's a thing I told to Peder Johnsen, knowing that he's working on some separate AGS game archives website.

I found content advisory uncomplete. There are cases when game does not have any obscene language, nudity or explicit violence, yet it might not be suggested for those of young age (or gentle soul :P). I mean something highly dramatic, or thrilling, or depressing; adult topics also (not related to sex): racism, illness, death, war, cruelty of the life, etc. Maybe you should invent some fourth rating for those cases.

Darth Mandarb

I could be biased, but I think the color scheme is perfection.

Ryan/progZ - love the new cups

As for the 'content advisory' I had a quick idea of something like this:

But that felt too "icon heavy" to me (and took away a bit from the ratings) so I altered it:

These icons were borrowed and [very] quickly mocked-up to this but it was more just to show the idea.

IndieBoy

I really like the non-heavy icon version Darth made (plus the new cups from Progz and the colours from Ryan). Borrowed or not.

As of the website design and colours I think they fit well, with the forums which I doubt will change, and our Blue Cup mascot.

So when is this re-vamp going to happen? As I see it we are only discussing the little final touches now. 
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Dualnames

Quote from: IndieBoy on Thu 07/01/2010 22:18:59
I really like the non-heavy icon version Darth made (plus the new cups from Progz and the colours from Ryan). Borrowed or not.

As of the website design and colours I think they fit well, with the forums which I doubt will change, and our Blue Cup mascot.

So when is this re-vamp going to happen? As I see it we are only discussing the little final touches now. 

We've yet to design all the minor details! Seriously, now :P
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

LimpingFish

Here's PEGI's take on rating icons:

(Bonus: See if you can guess what they represent!)

Most other rating systems simply use numbers (12, 15, etc) or letters (U, R, etc). But PEGI is used in multiple languages, so I guess symbols work better.

I like Darth's second edit, but multi-coloured icons at such a low resolution could be hazardous. Hi-res alternatives or monotone versions might be clearer.

I think that's the unsung beauty of the original cup as an icon; it's simplicity. It's neatness.

The rating icons are in desperate need of a change, though. Even viewed at 1680x1050 (what I'm looking at now), they're awfully indistinct.

Darth's are better, but at higher resolutions they might suffer the same problem.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Ryan Timothy B

Decided to play around and turn progz cups into a more 'modern' graphical style, less pixelly.

Here:

I actually kinda like it!

Edit: Oh and Darth, I really like the second edit (the one I have used here on this image).  Those icons are great.  Perhaps I could tweak them to look close to this new style of cups.

m0ds

Awesome! All shiny and stuff & not too crowded :)

Bulbapuck

Wow, that looks great Ryan!
This new site looks better by the minute, can't wait for it!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

The angle of the bottom of the cup and the handle shape looks weird now.  Why not just draw your own version if mine was insufficient? You'd probably end up with better results. :)

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: ProgZmax on Fri 08/01/2010 04:12:41
The angle of the bottom of the cup and the handle shape looks weird now.  Why not just draw your own version if mine was insufficient? You'd probably end up with better results. :)

Well that's the thing.  It wasn't insufficient, but once Darth added his new icons I decided to try changing yours.  Took only a few minutes versus me actually making a new mug from scratch, and I can be pretty slow at that.  
But you're right, it does look a little weird now that you point it out.

EDIT:  You guessed again!... I got bored and tried to fix the flaws that Progz had mentioned, and I also decided to create my own Content icons closely matching the ones Darth had.  I tried to add a little blue and orange in each of the content advisory icons just to match the orange and blue mugs. ;D  (I also changed it so the mugs were empty instead of filled with coffee)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk