the worst ever adventure game?

Started by jetxl, Mon 09/02/2004 08:48:38

Previous topic - Next topic

jetxl

my top 5 of worst adventure games I played.

5-the dame was loaded: I don't know if this game is good or bad because IT CRASHES ON ALL THE COMPUTERS I HAD.
4-space quest 4: I tried a billion times to get into the shuttle and I got shot an equal billion times.
3- fort boyard. The person who made the puzzles should be hung.
2-ace ventura: I got an animal for you! bugs, bugs, bugs.
1- police quest. "Game Over" because you didn't check if all four tires are still under the car.

Gilbert

Hehehe my list (pun intended):

1. Rodekill - MATH PUZZLE!
2. Plegidfghdfioh - DA - How do I get the damn whistle?
3. Journey Home - Please, I want to blow that sailorman up!
Novo Meistro - It's so buggy that I cant see its endling.
5. Old Demo Quest - ROGER SUCKSKSKS!

;D

Layabout

Hey JET, the only reason you get shot in space quest 4 is because your computer is too fast. this is a well knopw issue with the game. Other than the speed issues, SQ4 is one of the best adventure games ever made.
I am Jean-Pierre.

jetxl

You're saying that my 90 Mhz computer is to fast?
That's the nicest thing someone said about my computer in 10 years.

GarageGothic

What are we talking about here? Is Police Quest the worst game ever just because of a design flaw? Christ, I mean, they went overboard with the realism, but it's not like King's Quest where you're killed because you push a rock (actually solving a puzzles) from the wrong side! Game design was different in the early days, but it doesn't qualify a game as the worst ever!

So what are the criteria? Bugs, bad design? The problem with naming bad games is the same as naming bad movies. There are plenty of truly awful movies. The films of Ed Wood comes to mind. But often they have much more charm than the average action-movie-of-the-week. Even though Bureau 13 and Hell were terribly buggy and badly written, they were actually a lot of fun. Come to think of it, I'd rather replay Bureau 13 than go through Syberia another time.

Myst is, in my opinion, the Titanic of adventure games. A blockbuster. Hugely popular. But it bored me out of my mind. The only thing a game cannot be is boring. If it's supposed to enjoy and it doesn't, then that's an even bigger flaw than any design error or programming bug.

Babar

BUT I LOVED SQ4!!!11111 How can anyone hate it?? it was my favourite of all the space quest series. I guess you are entitled to your opinion, BUT YOUR OPINION SUCKS ;D!!!111  Seriously, you can't hate a whole game for something right in the beginning can you? You could have just used Moslo or something...thats what I did when I replayed it.
I can't really say I hated any of the adventure games I played. Myst was one of the lows, but once you had been playing for a while you got immersed into the game. However, I stopped playing it after a while due to the difficulty. Ahhhh... the days before internet and instant walkthroughs.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Ali

I can only think of 3:

Liath - terrible translation and a poor interface.
Return to Zork - Nice atmosphere, bad gameplay.
Chronicles of the Sword - awful plot.

Also... I LOVE MYST. I don't get bored because I play Myst games with my girlfriend. Apart from the occasional argument about navigation, it's great.

MillsJROSS

SQ4's thing with the shuttle was easily fixed when you adjusted your computers speed with an application, easily found when looking for SQ4 bugs. It is an annoying aspect to the game, (all the time isssues within it), but the game itself is a great game. And 90 Mhz is a good amount faster than when the game was originally released, so, yes, your system is fast, in context with it's relationship with Sq4. Mind you, it's not my favorite SQ (that would be III), but it was a great game, and it had such an appealing dark edge.

The Myst games, because as much as I enjoy puzzles, it seemed just a waste of time to flip a lever walk around for fifteen minutes before you see what that button did. But it did revoltionize the market graphically. It was nice eye candy back then, and while it may have had influence in the adventure game market going down, because of the push of bigger better graphics, it has added to a lot in other genres.

Other than that, I usually look at reviews for games before I buy them, so all my games are usually good games.

As far as in the AGS realm of hated games, I can only think of Rob Blanc. Not that it was horrible, it just seemed that it was being overpraised, for something that was only bleh. Larry Vales was a much better series.

-MillsJROSS

Timosity

Just on SQ4 timer issues, it was only the cd talkie version that had those problems, the original floppy version had no problems. It was a funny phase that computers were going through that Sierra didn't foresee.

but trying to run it on a 1.5 Ghtz machine was impossible no matter how much slowing down you tried, I'd imagine my 2.6 Ghtz machine would be worse.

I have the CD version but I found out that the floppy version was worth 'acquiring' for fast machines.

I can't think of a worst list, out of a good bunch I'd have to say the KQ series.

Nacho

I don't want to hurt nobody's feeling, but as this is related with the own oppinion of the people, I must say: Monkey Island 4.

The worst GA when I compare my expectations with the final product, IMO. Probably not the worst I've ever played (I remember one made by the guy of Police quest, which was not police quest...) But definitely the one which has dissapointment me most.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Meowster

Quote- police quest. "Game Over" because you didn't check if all four tires are still under the car.

Haaa ha ha ha ha ha!

Curse of Enchantia.

m0ds

5. Myst
I can see why so many people love it, and, if I wasn't thick as a brick, I might too. But I just didn't love it.

4. Death Gate
Okay, okay - this game was deffinatley cutesy and actually quite captivating and stuff, but, nuhh. It just got a bit boring after a while. Still, I'll never throw it away :)

3. Lost Eden
Shame, I did kind of enjoy this one. It just turned from an adventure into a something-elsey when you had to start fighting dinosaurs and crap. And that kinda ruined it for me.

2. The Feeble Files
It started off okay, but the game was just too big and confusing for me. The graphics weren't really to my liking and Feeble, well, was pretty Feeble imo. Good that they got Mr Llwellyn to do the voice tho.

1. Escape From Delirium
I didn't get the plot. I didn't get the puzzles. I didn't understand the poor English. I didn't like the death. I didn't like the ending. I didn't like the intro. In fact, it just plain sucked. But you have to play it. It's a fine example of how NOT to release an independant adventure game.

:)

Meowster

I can't get the music for Escape from Delirium to work. I tried playing it again today because I knew it would come up on this list. Does it even HAVE music?

And how long is it? I never really got very far.

m0ds

It does indeed have music! Some of the most absurdly composed MOD music you've ever heard!

If you can, go into DOS and run it. If you can't do that, well, you're PC is too good.

The length of the game is nothing special. The shareware version gives you a fair chunk of the game. It took me quite a while to complete it, but as far as games go, it's probably not considered that lengthy.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

THE WORST - Zombieville

You probably don't know it, it was thankfully never shipped outside of Europe.

FollowUps - Discworld 1 (because it's illogical and unfair, too much, much more than humour allows), Black Dahlia (which has been RUTHLESSLY MURDERED by its OUT OF CONTEXT and GRATUITOUS and NUMEROUS shiver-style puzzles, and more's the shame, because without them it's be a masterpiece), 3 Skulls of the Toltects (BAD! BAAAAAD! Seriously, if you've going to do a wetern humour game, don't be inane. Take Freddy Pharkas for an example, it's damn good. 3 skulls of the toltecs is just plain bad, anticlimatic, and not fun at all), and finally Harvester (which would be ANOTHER masterpiece, klike Black Dahlia, if it weren't for the end. God! I can't believe this, but the ending actually managed to RUIN the entire game, which was grippingly horrifying!)

Or maybe it's just me...  ;D
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

jannar85

Gilbert Goodmate
Chewy: ESC from F5
Jack Orlando
Largo Winch: Empire Under Threat
Simon the Sorcerer 3D

(in no order)
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Minimi

I'm sorry Jannar, but Jack Orlando is teh best adventure ever made!!!11!!! (i.m.h.o.)

Jack Orlando... best music I ever heard in a game, great handdrawn graphics, realistic athmosphere, soeech-synchronisized animations, great story/drama, and alot of fun jokes in it.

Your opinion just sucks!!! Sorry, but it does! Jack Orlando is sooooo good, man, I just can't stop talking about it.

DMonkey

Loom

I never could get into the whole staff thing, with its wacky notes and colors.
Who cares what the catch is, it's the flying car!

Meowster

That doesn't make the game suck, it just makes you stupid.  ;)

But I didn't like Loom either. Probably because I only got around to playing it two years ago, and it's so hard to get into those old games nowadays unless you played them before.

JimmyShelter

And to think I was kinda dissapointed in loom cause I finished much to quickly.  :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk