Has any one ever remade Monkey Island?

Started by AGS_guy, Sat 10/04/2004 14:24:17

Previous topic - Next topic

AGS_guy

Has any one ever remade Monkey Island? I've remade apart of it, but not all of it. Getting the right size graphics, for AGS, is the hard part. I've made all of Melee Island landscape, and apart of Monkey Island. I haven't done any of the characters, and the puzzles very little. To be honest, I don't think i'm going to carry on remaking it. But if someonelse is/does that's great!!!

So has anyone ever tried  remaking, or remade  Monkey Island?

If not, why don't you?- infact that could be an AGS competion.

Privateer Puddin'

Dark Stalkey was remaking the start of CMI to show AGS could do the job

but remake a whole game? when its already absolutely superb? crazy :P

Nacho

That's not such a crazy idea... I was thinking of it, and I found some kind of "hint"... Do you know who Paco Vink is? He is making a comic of MI in the CMI style, it's supperb and can be found in.... scummbar.com?

I once conerted one of his stripes into the apprepiate resolution, and it looked supperb (Thanks Paco, not me)

Yes, you must remove the characters, and the dialogs and some other stuff, but it ill allways be faster than drawing it all form the beginning... And you can allways try to contact with Paco Vink.  ;)

Here, the comic...
EDIT: http://www.worldofmi.com/features/comics/vink/
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

AGS_guy

When I say to remake Monkey Island, I mean remake it the exact same way it used to be. Original graphics, characters,script ect. I don't mean use new graphics, to replace the old ones, or a new GUI. The original aspects,of Monkey Island were, like Privateer Puddin said, perfect!

To put a long explaination short, convert MI(scumm) into MI(AGS)

Ali

I'm not sure what the value of that would be. You wouldn't rebuild the empire state building using different construction techniques just to prove you could.

I can see why the idea of remaking it is tempting, because you wouldn't need to slave for months coming up with your own graphics, plot, dialogue, inventory, sound...

I've just remembered my own semi-complete first game. I'm going to stop talking now.

AGS_guy

Quote from: Ali on Sat 10/04/2004 15:54:42
I'm not sure what the value of that would be. You wouldn't rebuild the empire state building using different construction techniques just to prove you could.

I can see why the idea of remaking it is tempting, because you wouldn't need to slave for months coming up with your own graphics, plot, dialogue, inventory, sound...

I've just remembered my own semi-complete first game. I'm going to stop talking now.

Why not?
Why make any adventure games?
I mean what would be the point of making AGS at all, why not just use other Adventure Games creators, which were made years before AGS?
I'll tell you why, because people like to see if it can be done. And I know AGS can do it, it just hasn't yet. The whole point of remaking MI would be to see it in another light, a different light. A light us game adventures lovers would be prould to see.

MI is one of the best Adventures, of all time. I think it deserves to be reborn. I mean it's not getting any younger, is it? Plus if your someone who's never heard of Monkey Island, you would like to check it out. But maybe you don't want to buy the real version, the AGS version would be free! It would also bring more people to the AGS community, that's if you care about it, that is.

So I end my pharagraph with saying remaking Monkey Island, would be a good thing, not a bad thing, like Ali said. Who's with me!

big brother

*Big Brother applaudes energetically.
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

Privateer Puddin'

I don't agree.

I could if you could no longer purchase Monkey Island, I could if it used a parser or something or didn't run on todays systems.

But, i'd prefer if you (or if any one tried to do so) used their time to create an original adventure game.

AGS_guy

You may disagree, but that wouldn't stop you from downloading the remake, if someone remade Monkey Island, would it?

Privateer Puddin'

If the remake changed absolutely nothing, i would only download it to see how accurate it was.

Nacho

So... If you succed, what will you have? A perfect copy of Monkey Island? Something most of us have, with scumm VM and filtered graphics, which look supperb? Who would download it?

And what about if you don't succed? You'll have a bad, buggy copy...

I encourage you to go on... But I just can't uderstand you,sorry... :-\
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Pet Terry

If you it would be accurate copy of the original, I bet Lucas Arts wouldn't like you spreading it around for free.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

AGS_guy

Ok then, you people like to critisise, yeah. I mean you've done that since i've started this topic. Unfortunetly, your critisism is against me. But think if I, or someonelse remade MI, then you could critisise all you want about it. But it would only be good. Because if I made it it would 99.9% accarate. 0.01% because the graphics would be a bit out of shape.

And I bet everyone that's commenting about this topic, want to see it anyway, so stop your moaning.

(I think I spelt critisise wrong. I bet you will all criti...(however you spell it) about that.)

Duzz

Sure, we'd all like to see it!    But i'm sure we'd all prefer it if the same amount of effort was put into a totally original game, or even a remake of a game that needs it. What people are saying is that the effort involved may not be worth the gain in the end.
Powerhoof - My new indie games company! | Wintermute Studios - My older AGS games: The Historical League of Bouncy Boxing, Grr! Bearly Sane,  Duzz Quest...

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Aw, don't take it so personally. Here, let me give you my opinion as someone who's remade a game -

Let me tell you, from BITTER experience, that at first its fun - real fun, especially if you're new to AGS. Hell, if you're new to AGS, remaking an existing game is the BEST thing you could do! But eventually, it gets boring. In the sense that you can't let your creativity run wild. There's no sense of achievement, you just want to ship the thing and be done with it. And when it IS done... well, everyone else DOES have a point, you know. Why to download an AGS version which is JUST LIKE the original? Not to mention how much more space it would take up in the hard drive, and the extra amount of memory needed by AGS to run.

Here's my advice - I'm ALL for remakes, but remakes should... well, remake. You aren't talking about remaking, you're talking about porting. And AGS isn't the best engine to port with, SCUMMVM is waaaay better. But if you want to change something related to the wow factor - graphics, music, hell, even add speech! - go ahead!

EDIT - By rereading I noticed you said something about "why purchase the original when the AGS version is free"... well, I can say two things to that. 1) EMule is FULL of games, including Monkey Island. 2)I DO hope you realize you're talking about VERY SERIOUS copyright infrigement... I only got away with my remake because it's already abandonware. I hope. Well, no one has tried to sue me yet, so I guess I'm safe.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

AGS_guy

Maybe your right about the copyright thing. I never said I was making a public Monkey Island port, anyway. I said I had made a few rooms, and ripped a few graphics.But  now, like I said before, i've stopped remaking it.

But I still think it would be good if someonelse would port it.

And by the way, I think that it's good that a 14 year old boy, has made 25% of an old classic adventure game, some adults don't even start an a ORIGINAL  game, which they've thought  of themselves.

(Forget what I said at the last pharagraph, below reply, will tell you why).

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteAnd by the way, I think that it's good that a 14 year old boy, has made 25% of an old classic adventure game, some adults don't even start an a ORIGINAL game, which they've thought of themselfs.
Shouldn't it be the other way around? It's easier to remake than to do from scratch.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

AGS_guy

Good point!
Everybody, forget that part.

spoofer4ever

Unbalevably i've never even played monkey island.

I've been hereing of it for years now.
don even know why i didn't download it before.

dl ing now of kazaa

AGS_guy

I'm putting the remake of MI on the web. Who would like to download it?

(Go to next page, to see the rest of this topic)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk