A puzzle....

Started by Iliya, Fri 09/04/2010 12:00:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Calin Leafshade

oh yea i see what you mean.. if they alternated then they could save half... but that would be pointless since they have a 50 50 chance anyway.

Ali

Or they could use Calin's method and have a simple code to use when guessing.

"I think it's X"  tells the guy in front he's wearing white. "My hat is X" tells him it's black.

Iliya

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 09/04/2010 15:05:48
Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Fri 09/04/2010 14:40:28
tzachs: If the first person simply repeats the colour of the hat in front then the person in front will know what colour their hat is.. thus saving at least 99 of the 100 and gives the last one a 50 50 chance.
Calin, you're completely wrong. If the person repeats the colour of the NEXT guy, he will save himself only if he has SAME colour. Thus 99 of the 100 is not the LEAST saved, but MOST possible saved. Least saved is actually 1, the first in the line (one who does not have anyone in front).

I think that the answer is around this: they decide to to start guessing first only who are seeing black hat infront. Then those who are not hearing answer from the guy behind should know that their hat is white. I can't explain it well.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Harg on Fri 09/04/2010 15:12:41
I think that the answer is around this: they decide to to start guessing first only who are seeing black hat infront. Then those who are not hearing answer from the guy behind should know that their hat is white. I can't explain it well.

This raises another question: how were they allowed to give answers? Maybe witch wanted them to answer in certain order.

BTW, Ali's variant is interesting ;) it actually gives a chance to save 99 of 100.

NsMn

Wiz and Ali: Yes, you're correct. As I've said, the riddle is pretty old.

Quote from: OneDollar on Fri 09/04/2010 14:18:21Hah, I didn't solve it I just rewrote Crimson's answer ;D. I've seen the puzzle before though.

OK, Googling brings up this one:

There are an even number of coins on a table, and there are the same number of coins with heads up as tails up. Your task is to separate the coins into two piles, where the number of heads up in each pile is equal. The problem is you are blindfolded and can't tell which way up each coin is facing. How do you do it?

Aha! I don't really have the solution, but foudn out something else:

Spoiler
It must have something to do with another condition, like Stupot said. Imagine you e.g. have 3 coins with heads up and 3 with tails up - well, try making these two piles then. You would always have 2 coins w/ head up in the one pile and 1 in the other.
[close]

tzachs

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 09/04/2010 15:22:27
This raises another question: how were they allowed to give answers? Maybe witch wanted them to answer in certain order.
To make things clearer:
they do have to answer in certain order: the guy in the back (who sees the rest) has to answer first, then the one after him and so on until the last one (who sees no one). Plus, they are not allowed to say anything other than 'guessing' the color of their hat, so they can't deliver any other messages to their comrades. Also, after guy x guessed his color, guy x+1 will not know if guy x was correct or not...

Quote from: Calin Leafshade
oh yea i see what you mean.. if they alternated then they could save half... but that would be pointless since they have a 50 50 chance anyway.
Calin, this method will save 50 people for a 100%, and the other 50 will have 50% of making it which is way better then just having 50 50 chance, so it is an improvement.
Still, there are even better solutions...

Calin Leafshade

Quote from: tzachs on Fri 09/04/2010 17:02:52

Kill the fucking witch.

Done.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Fri 09/04/2010 17:34:54
Quote from: tzachs on Fri 09/04/2010 17:02:52

Kill the fucking witch.

Done.
Yeah. 100 men vs some stupid witch. Meh.  :=

Ali

Shut up, you guys. She'll hear us!

NsMn

So? She's a woman.

*BA-DUM DISH!*

LRH

More riddle action!

Oldie but goodie:

A man is enjoying some food in a pub and after some time he goes up to the bartender and asks for a glass of water. The bartender immediately pulls out a shotgun from behind the bar and aims it right at the man's face! The man pauses for a moment, stunned, but then smiles and thanks the bartender. The bartender smiles as well and puts away the gun.

What the hell just happened?!

(Also I'm pretty sure someone made a game with a bunch of riddles...hm.  ;))

Calin Leafshade

A man gets into a swimming pool, naked with some man-eating sharks and walks from one side of the pool to the other without being hurt. How?

LimpingFish

@Domithan:

Spoiler
The man has the hiccups.
[close]
@Calin:

Spoiler
He is the messiah.
[close]
I only ever heard one riddle that I can actually remember the answer to, so:

A man lives on the the top floor of a five-storey building. The building is equipped with stairs and an elevator. Every day the man goes out to buy groceries. He takes the elevator from the top floor to the ground floor. Every day, on his return, he takes the elevator to the second floor and walks up three flights of stairs to the top floor. Why, oh why?
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

LRH

Because
Spoiler
He's a midget and can't reach the top floor's button?
[close]

Calin Leafshade

A box with no hinges, key or lid, but precious treasure within is hid.

LimpingFish

@Domithan

Spoiler
Correct!
[close]
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Fri 09/04/2010 18:02:06
A man gets into a swimming pool, naked with some man-eating sharks and walks from one side of the pool to the other without being hurt. How?

Spoiler

He just crosses a 90-degrees corner really fast?
[close]
:P

Calin Leafshade

nope, straight across the middle, right past the sharks

Crimson Wizard

Oh wait, another answer:
Spoiler
there's no water
[close]

Calin Leafshade

nope, full of water, in fact the sharks are circling him.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk