A puzzle....

Started by Iliya, Fri 09/04/2010 12:00:35

Previous topic - Next topic

NsMn

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Fri 09/04/2010 18:06:13A box with no hinges, key or lid, but precious treasure within is hid.

Spoiler
That doesn't work with "precious", it has to be "golden", Calin.
[close]

But, for your other puzzle:

Spoiler
He doesn't walk THROUGH the pool. The puzzle says he goes "from one side to another".
[close]

Anyway, here's another riddle for you:

5 men and 3 women are in a dark room, no doors and windows, the walls are 1m thick, there's a locked emergency exit. There's a tube in the middle of the room; 2m high, and in this pipe there's a tennis ball, nearly as wide in diameter as the tube.
Hidden in this ball is the key for the exit. The group has: 30 cm of wire, one short piece of wood, one bottle of sand, some shells and a pocket knife. How can the people escape?

(it's another old one, I know).

Calin Leafshade

Quote from: NsMn on Fri 09/04/2010 18:30:16
Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Fri 09/04/2010 18:06:13A box with no hinges, key or lid, but precious treasure within is hid.

Spoiler
That doesn't work with "precious", it has to be "golden", Calin.
[close]

Did it from memory.. bite me.

But, for your other puzzle:

Spoiler
He doesn't walk THROUGH the pool. The puzzle says he goes "from one side to another".
[close]

Nope. he walks straight down the middle, through the water.

Anyway, here's another riddle for you:

5 men and 3 women are in a dark room, no doors and windows, the walls are 1m thick, there's a locked emergency exit. There's a tube in the middle of the room; 2m high, and in this pipe there's a tennis ball, nearly as wide in diameter as the tube.
Hidden in this ball is the key for the exit. The group has: 30 cm of wire, one short piece of wood, one bottle of sand, some shells and a pocket knife. How can the people escape?

(it's another old one, I know).

Why is the sex important? If they use their penises for ANY purpose I'm never speaking to you again.

EDIT
Spoiler
they ask Jigsaw why the new saw movies seriously lack imagination
[close]

Anian

Are those shells as in gun ammo or as in sea shells? In any case, I'd bet ya Bear Grills would get out of there, not to mention MacGuyver.  :P

@Calin: gender is improtant cause the room is dark and, let's face it, there's no better pick up line than "You know, we might not ever make it out of here..."
I don't want the world, I just want your half

NsMn

Gun ammo....  YEAH, YOU WISH!

It's normal sea shells. Oysters to be specific.

LRH

Quote from: NsMn on Fri 09/04/2010 18:48:15
Gun ammo....  YEAH, YOU WISH!

It's normal sea shells. Oysters to be specific.
Aw, well damnit. If I had mussel shells we'd be out in an instant :<

NsMn

*giggles*.

C'mon. The answer is stupidly easy.

Snarky

Quote from: tzachs on Fri 09/04/2010 14:22:52
100 men are being kept captive by a big, bad, ugly witch. The witch tells them: "Tomorrow I'm gonna put you in a straight line, one in front of the other, where each one will see all of the guys in front of him and not the guys before him.  I will put a hat on each of you, it will be either black or white, with no other limitations (it can be 50/50 or 100/0, everything goes). Each man, from the last in the line (the guy who sees all the rest) until the first one (the guy who sees no one) will have to guess the color of his hat, if he succeeds, he lives,  if he fails, he dies."

The 100 guys have all night to plan together their tactics. What do they need to do in order to rescue the most guys possible (and what is the most guys possible to be rescued)?

The last guy in line (first to answer) guesses white if he sees an even number of white hats, and black if he sees an odd number. That allows the next person to subtract the number of white hats he sees and deduce his own color. Using this information, then next person can deduce his color, and so on.

This guarantees 99 of them to escape, and gives the 100th man a 50:50 chance.

tzachs

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Fri 09/04/2010 18:02:06
A man gets into a swimming pool, naked with some man-eating sharks and walks from one side of the pool to the other without being hurt. How?
That's not the question, the question is, why?

And maybe:
Spoiler

He's going in with a man that eats sharks?
[close]

Ali

Quote from: NsMn on Fri 09/04/2010 18:53:44
*giggles*.

C'mon. The answer is stupidly easy.

Spoiler
If there's no door, they walk out through the space where the door would be.
[close]

Dualnames

Here's a cool one. If the answer is 42, what's the question? :o
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

NsMn

@Ali: Hee hee. No  :P

@Dualnames: I knew this was coming... the question is 13,37 by Pi.

Anian

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 09/04/2010 18:55:08
The last guy in line (first to answer) guesses white if he sees an even number of white hats, and black if he sees an odd number. That allows the next person to subtract the number of white hats he sees and deduce his own color. Using this information, then next person can deduce his color, and so on.

But this works if there is the same number of black and white hats, I might've missed where it says that.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

OneDollar

Quote from: OneDollar on Fri 09/04/2010 14:18:21
There are an even number of coins on a table, and there are the same number of coins with heads up as tails up. Your task is to separate the coins into two piles, where the number of heads up in each pile is equal. The problem is you are blindfolded and can't tell which way up each coin is facing. How do you do it?

@Stupot
Yes, you have to divide all the coins into the two piles.

@Stupot and NsMn
There can be any number of coins, there's no hidden conditions.

And no, you don't balance them on their edges ;)

Quote from: NsMn on Fri 09/04/2010 18:30:16

Spoiler
Emergency exits will open from the inside even when they're locked?
[close]

NsMn

@OneDollar

Spoiler
What? They do? I've never seen one that can always be opened from the inside. Just imagine it's a locked oor then  :P
[close]

Snarky

Quote from: anian on Fri 09/04/2010 19:02:59
Quote from: Snarky on Fri 09/04/2010 18:55:08

But this [only] works if there is the same number of black and white hats, I might've missed where it says that.

No, it works regardless. It's based only on the fact that there are only two colors available. The last man counts the number of white hats in front of him. Let's say he comes to an even number, so he says "white".

The man in front of him counts the number of white hats he sees. If it's an even number, he knows that his own hat can't be white, if it's an odd number he knows it must be white.  Let's say he sees an odd number, so he also says "white".

Now the next man counts how many hats he sees. He knows that the last man saw an even number, but that the man behind him was wearing a white hat, so without his it must have been an odd number. Let's say he sees an odd number, so he knows he can't be wearing a white hat himself, so he says "black".

...And so it goes. Each man must remember what the first man to speak said, keep count of how many white hats he sees himself, and how many people behind him (apart from the first one) have said "white". That's enough to deduce the color of his own hat.

Of course, they could make a rule about counting the black hats instead; it doesn't make a difference as long as they're all counting the same thing.

OneDollar

A man gets into a swimming pool, naked with some man-eating sharks and walks from one side of the pool to the other without being hurt. How?

Spoiler
He's at Seaworld, going through the shark tunnel?
[close]

@NsMn
Is the tube fixed to the floor?

LRH

Sometimes a visual helps.

Calin Leafshade

basically I was lying about the sharks.. its just an empty pool..

LRH

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Fri 09/04/2010 19:57:00
basically I was lying about the sharks.. its just an empty pool..
???

Best riddle ever.

Questionable

They're Banking Shark on Vacation in the Virgin Islands?

Quote from: Dualnames on Fri 09/04/2010 19:00:17
Here's a cool one. If the answer is 42, what's the question? :o
DAFS n00b

@NsMn

The best thing to do would be to piss in the tube, now it would take roughly 30-38 full bladders to COMPLETELY overflow the tube put we don't need that. The bottle of sand should have the volume of several fuller bladders and will increase the volume. The shells are almost entirely worthless as they won't be able to get behind the tennis ball, even once it is free floating, I would fold the wire in half and twist the ends, then wrap both end of the wire around your hand, in the middle. This will create an ellipse , shape it into a circle, ideally the same size as the inner diameter of the tube. Now, lower the wire in careful to not not drop it and wiggle it around the (now elevated) tennis ball. Once you are underneath pull equally from both of the twisted ends, this will force the wire to tighten and ultimately shrink the size of the circle you created in the wire. With maybe 2 attempt you won't completely collapse the wire circle and will simply shrink it instead. now you can gingerly lift the tennis ball the remaining few inches/centimeters (the ball should be just under a foot away or higher.)

Once the ball is out you can cut open the tennis ball using the knife, at this point crush up the sea shells, throw the framents into the air and shout "Confetti" as you unlock the door and escape.
All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk