Awards 2012 - For your consideration thread

Started by , Tue 01/01/2013 04:29:25

Previous topic - Next topic

bicilotti

Have you made a game in 2012? Would you like it to compete in the AGS Awards 2012?
That's the right topic to showcase it!
Post a download link, a brief description and some pictures (thumbnails preferred) (an excellent FYC post from last year).

Don't be shy, by posting your game you're greatly helping the players who will take some time to play/nominate/vote!

As usual, a couple of notes:
  • if you think a game deserves mention but the author isn't around, post a FYC for him/her! The more worthy games we get here, the better is for everyone
  • this thread is for FYC posts only, if you want to discuss the awards check the AGS Awards 2012 topic
  • how is it that there isn't a "AGS Awards 2012" thread yet? It's because we're lacking a host

Vince Twelve

Ooh, I checked the boards just at the right time!!!  For your consideration:

Available here (games page entry)

Story:

A particle physicist's mysterious and spectacular death sparks a race to find his hidden vault and claim his terrifying new discovery. The player will take control of four characters whose lives become entangled in the search for the scientist's vault. They will have to learn to trust each other and work together to overcome the obstacles in their way and to keep this new and powerful technology out of the hands of a dangerous organization.

Features:

• Four playable swappable characters
  • A twisting, riveting storyline
  • Full voice acting
  • Unique long-term and short-term memory systems
  • Cheat death by rewinding time
  • A unique and intuitive interface
  • Hundreds of beautiful hand-pixeled animations
  • Dozens of gorgeous digitally painted backgrounds
  • A beautifully orchestrated soundtrack
Screenshots:

Thanks guys!  It's been an amazing year finally finishing this beast!

Radiant

Errand

In the winning entry for the October MAGS competition, Sara wants to go out and play in the sunshine, but she has a few errands to complete before she does that. Nothing special, just sweeping her room, feeding the dog, that sort of thing. What could possibly go wrong? The game features two endings, epic soundtrack, and a cute girl with way too much imagination. Download here.

Suggested for Best Short Game and Best Player Character.

Indiana Rodent in: Raiders of the Lost Cheese

Yes, it is possible to write a smooth-scrolling platform game in AGS, with tile-based levels and multi-layer parallax graphics. Released as part of the AGS Bake Sale, this game puts you in the role of the Mouse With The Hat to search for the vaunted lost cheese. Traverse forests, deserts, and the halls of illusion; jump over hedgehogs, hitch a ride on a turtle, and evade vicious snakes - all for the reward of more cheese than you could ever eat, and what more could a mouse want? The game has four difficulty modes, nine expansive levels to explore, eight-way parallax scrolling, various secrets and unlockables, and the vicious Moby Duck as boss monster.

Suggested for Best Non-Adventure Game and Best Programming. This is a Bake Sale game, but the full version is now available. Also, there's a Let's Play video on youtube.

CaptainD

I'm only going to suggest this for Best Demo, because I don't know if a demo is eligible for other categories... if it is, feel free to nominate!  (In that case puzzles, music, animation, player / non-player character, voice acting, Best Misuse of a Fake Brummie Accent [if this isn't a category it should be!] might be in with a shout perhaps?)

Captain Disaster in Death Has a Million Stomping Boots - DEMO

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1598

The demo takes place in Act II of the game - after CD has successfully transported the mysterious package from Acturus-1, he finds that he is unable to leave orbit due to being out of fuel.  Will he manage to get his ship moving again before the irritable Ground Control employee blows him to bits?!

Screenshots:

Ponch

Sweet biscuits, is it time for another AGS Awards already? Why, it seems like just yesterday that my heart was broken and I was once again sent home trophy-less and drenched in my own tears. Goodness, how time flies.  :cheesy:

For your consideration:

Barn Runner: The Mayor's New Dress

What began as a MAGS game became my first "visual novel", in which we watch loveable and scandal-prone Mayor DuChamp try to outwit the new head of her Advisory Council as he attempts to oust her from office after she accidentally killed the previous head of the Council during a kinky tryst that went tragically awry -- always remember the safe word, kids!

I'm not sure anyone has made a visual novel with AGS before, so I'm submitting it for Best Non-Adventure Game, Best Short Game, Best Character Art (have you seen her in that sheer dress? Or sitting by the pool? Or riding the Chief of Police around like a pony? Yowza!), Best Character: Mayor DuChamp, and Best Music (another very sexy track from the very sexy Dualnames).

You can try the game out here:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1593/

EDIT: I removed my Bake Sale game because it isn't in the games database yet.

Knoodn

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION:

A game about a caveman and his day job.

DOWNLOAD UNGA NEEDS MUMBA HERE

GAME FEATURES:

- 10 playable rooms in a modern old-school style
- An original soundtrack by m0ds
- Recognizable characters with unibrows
- Fully voiced cavemen speech
  (with the voices of: Azure, bbX1138, CaptainD, cat, Imogen Harris, LostTrainDude & m0ds)
- Mystery, fun & thrill - all in one game!

SCREENSHOTS:

Ilyich

Oh, well, why not!

For your consideration:

Patchwork is a short fantasy point-and-click adventure. It was a part of the Summerbatch, and now you can get it for free by following the link at the bottom of this post. :)

Story:
After a teleportation experiment goes wrong, a young scientist finds himself, and a good part of his laboratory, in someone else's house. In a parallel universe.

Screenshots:

Features:
- Two playable characters
- Hand-painted graphics at an astonishingly not-quite-retro, but not-at-all-modern 800x600 resolution
- Simple two-click interface
- Minutes of gameplay. Dozens of them

Suggested categories: Best Background Art, Best Character Art, Best Music, Prettiest Manual

Games page entry

Fitz

Dear Earthlings, consider GRAY as a warning

THE GAME FEATURES

- a devious, yet lovable and cute main character

- a hick with itchy fingers

- Lo-Definition graphics in astounding 4C (four colors)
- an environment influenced by the time of the day

- surprising, astounding, scary and/or disgusting facts about all kinds of things

- over 20 original audio tracks by Swordofkings128 -- and a song by Invisible Animals

- unique responses to each action (mostly sarcastic in tone)

- over 3500 lines of dialogue (mostly monologue, actually)

The game can be downloaded HERE

Suggested categories: ALL OF THEM!!! BOW DOWN AND WORSHIP!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

In all seriousness, though: you decide what you like :) One thing I'd like to point your attention to is the music -- because I love what my insanely talented friends contributed to the game in that area.

miguel

Download Here

Well, this was my entry earlier last year, it's the second chapter of the Dwarven Dagger series (I promised 4 chapters 5 years ago...Why I did it is something I regret...! :=).
It's pretty short and nothing special, but I hope that people that haven't played it before do have some fun with it.

I thought about not adding this here because I'm into more serious game-making with a team and proper writers and all, but I did this game and am not ashamed of it. It will stand as a testimony that I can evolve and get better at game-making.
You will see Mr.Paul Frazen credited in the game but due to a unfortunate mistake of mine, his fantastic texts did not show in the released version, and I can't seem to gather the strength to upload another version...

Anyway, have fun if you can!

Get it here!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

The Suitor

For your consideration:

Story:
The news says there's a temporary worldwide coffee shortage. After waking up, Cherry Starma discovers she is completely out of her own jo. Will the store have a can left?

She'll find out soon enough!

Screens:

Press:
PCGamer.com from "This week's best free PC games" - February 27 2012
Kodabar's Blog
FreePCGamers.com A small article on FreePCGamers.com

I made this at the beginning of 2012 under the name Maddoxic... Let's just say that alter ego was an experiment, or that I have a split personality disorder.(laugh)

Nevertheless, suggested categories might be: Best short game, music, whatever you like. Best game with crap graphics?

You can get it here!

kconan

I humbly submit for your consideration...
Bolt Action

Features:
•Zombie blastin' action
•An awesome Pinback background
•Lots of weapons including a quad-barrel shotgun
•Ungrateful and rude innocent civilians that can turn into zombies
•Insulting and inept mad scientist
•An online scoreboard
•One zombie wrestler

http://www.boltactiongame.com
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1590/

Perhaps for Best Non-Adventure Game and/or Best Music, or maybe Best One-Room Zombie Game?

Grundislav

So much amazing competition, but I still have to be a pimp, so please consider:

Things are not looking good for Ben Jordan. His best friend is dead, his girlfriend is missing, and his last ally has betrayed him. However, as bleak as things look, all is not lost. In this, the surprising final chapter of the series, Ben will learn the truths hidden in the past and the present, which he will use to finally confront the madman threatening his future.

Screenshots:

Features:
- Fully voiced and lip-synced!
- Play as Ben Jordan and his grandfather, Arthur Jordan!
- The longest (and the last) Ben Jordan game ever!
- Game soundtrack and extras included in the download (to consider it a nominee for best music)

Download it here

Datadog

Whoo! Awards season! My game's going on its one-year anniversary, so here's my name in the hat...

Ten years after the events of Space Quest 6, our noble space janitor hero, Roger Wilco, finds his life spiraling out of control faster than usual. His long-time girlfriend has dumped his lazy behind. A rival captain threatens the very fabric of time and space. A time-traveling ninja and some Space Chickens are building a universe-incinerating super-weapon. Not to mention someone has stolen Roger's luggage. Join Roger as he journeys across the galaxy, befriends killer robots, solves puzzles with explosions, and does strange things with gravy in order to save the day yet again.

Features:

• Over 45 minutes of exciting 3D cut-scenes with explosions galore!
  • Several hours of story and game-play!
  • One hour of gameplay if you're doing a speed-run and mashing the ESC key everywhere.
  • Nearly 100 CG-rendered backgrounds and locations!
  • More than an hour of original music!
  • Two playable characters! Play as Roger and his new robot pal, Doomtron!
  • Dozens of new characters!
  • Puzzle solving! Pick things up! Put them together! Use them on things!
  • A rail-shooter arcade sequence!
  • Replay the game for Achievements and Trophies!
  • Four alternate endings!

Consider Nominating For:

• Best Animation: (Sample 1, Sample 2)
  • Best Original Story: (Features a complex, original story that still provides closure to the SQ series without alienating newcomers.)
  • Best Gameplay: (Sample 1, Sample 2))
  • Best Dialogue Writing: (Literally everything has its own feedback for LOOK, HAND, and TALK, as well as most inventory commands.)
  • Best Puzzles: (Make coffee! Mess with the fabric of space and time! Mix nuts 'n bolts 'n gravy!)
  • Best Music (Sample 1, Sample 2, additional music in clips above)
  • Best Player Character: (Roger probably doesn't qualify, but Doomtron is original and playable. Plus he has arm cannons.)
  • Best Non-Player Character: (You could also give love to Doomtron here. Maybe Havoc? Greg the Bug? Puggzley? Ali Cat? That guy who hates hippies and can't read?)
  • Best Background Art/Best Character Art: (I sincerely believe traditional artists should get these noms, but if you want to nom me, that's cool.)
  • Best Programming: (if (hardcodingIsAcceptablePractice == true) { Display("Totally nominate me!"); } else { Display("Never mind."); } )
  • Best Game Created with AGS: (For good measure?)

Game Links:

AGS Page with Download!
Release Trailer
Rock, Paper, Shotgun Review
Adventure Gamers Review
G4 TV Spot
Official Site

cat

This game is suited for children as well as adults and can be completed in less than an hour, so give it a try!

Please consider to nominate this game for the following categories:

Best Music
HandsFree did an amazing job and you can listen to some samples here:

Best Character Art
I tried to give every character a unique personality and reflect this in their appearance.

Best Animation
There is a lot of stuff going on with idle animations and different interactions.
Spoiler
And there is this 42 frame balloon start...
[close]

Best Documentation
There is a detailed manual with a 'Getting Started' section for people new to the genre.

Best Short Game
My team and I put a lot of effort in this game and I think it did pay off.

...or any other category you think is appropriate.

Visit the game's page here! Thanks!

WHAM

Am I late to the party?

Allow me to present to you: Big Blue World Domination!
[Running for: Best Non-Adventure, Best Music, Best Marshmallows, Best Everything]

In this short MAGS game you take on the role of an evil genius, hell-bent on conquering the world using espionage, assassinations and other underhanded tactics, while constructing a base, hiring secret agents, scientists, technicians and security guards and, of course, watching a marshamallow dance in the map room. Oh, and don't forget to repay your loan to the World Bank of Evilhood, or else...

The game features a high-quality soundtrack by Guney Ozsan, additional artwork by Ghost and the rest of it by me (with the support of some great playtesters!).

Click image to download:
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

PuNKKoMmANDO77

I made two adventure in 2012, but the second The Path Of The Pumpkin is in translation (only few days)
So Miciosegone Games compete with

This game was created in collaboration with an Italian association and is part of a project for schools to teach children the importance of respect for animals.
In this adventure the player controls Orazio, a big friendly cat who, with the help of his friends, must find a way to stop an evil multinational corporation from knocking down the cattery to build a motorway. All in the course of one night, during which Orazio will have to get up to all sorts of tricks to find a solution to the problem.
The interface is in the classic "Sierra style", with the pop-up inventory in the middle of the screen and the icon bar with the basic interaction: talk, interact and look on the top.
A Cat's Night was the first game developed with Adventure Game Studio nominated for the European Games Awards. It was also the first Italian game to receive a nomination in the "Best European Adventure" category.
A Cat's Night is one of the 100 finalist of the GAME OF THE YEAR COMPETITON of IndieDB.

DOWNLOAD
ITA-ENG-FR

NickyNyce

Special Agent Moss returns to earth for his new adventure. He and fellow agents Slug and Scar must try and locate three fellow agents that went missing. Little do they know, the humans have already begun their experiments.

Features

Over 160 sounds
50 rooms to explore
3 playable characters
2 switchable at almost anytime

The Visitor 2 has music tracks that were NOT made by me. I deserve no credit at all in this area.

Download here    http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1599/

MurrayL

Of course I would like to nominate my two freeware releases in 2012!

subAtomic
subAtomic won the Humour category of the 23rd Ludum Dare Jam, was featured on IndieGames.com, and was the AGS Pick of the Month in May!

A dysfunctional family are miniaturised in their misguided search for a holiday, thanks to the scientific minds at S.H.A.T. (Space Holidays via Accelerated Transport).

Features:
* Visceral point-and-click action!
* Literally tens of hilarious jokes.
* Experience the beginning, middle, and end of a story. The decisions you make will completely shape your experience and the final outcome of the game.
* The lack of a save-game feature means your actions have real-world consequences.
* Witness the epic development of more than one character as you control some of their actions.
* subAtomic plunges you into the scene at the deep end, with more than 10 different, immersive sound effects!
* A rousing, all-original musical score.
* Features unofficial cameo appearances by Albert Einstein and Carl Sagan!

subAtomic is available for download from the AGS Database.

Plan M
Plan M won the Humour category of the 24th Ludum Dare Jam, and was featured on IndieGames.com and Rock, Paper, Shotgun!

The evil Dr. M has used a nefarious machine to devolve everyone back into monkeys, so he can become their master!
Fortunately, he didn't count on Detectives Vandall and Hopkirk - two survivors who will stop at nothing to put things back the way they were.

* Full-length point & click adventure!
* A story so packed with comedy it's liable to explode at any minute, covering you and anyone watching in a disgusting-yet-amusing goo!
* Stephen Hawking gives a conference from the ceiling!
* Meet a monkey pretending to be the president!
* Electrocute a small child!
* And much, much more!

The Enhanced Edition includes a soundtrack and audio effects, as well as several re-written and completely new scenes.

Plan M is available for download from the AGS Database.

Broomie

Space Quest II - for your consideration for the AGS Awards 2012.

Space Quest II - Vohaul's Revenge Remake (link)

by Infamous Adventures
Infamous Adventures is proud to present a remake of Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe's classic 1987 hit, Space Quest II: Vohaul's Revenge.

Heroes come and Heroes go, and our favorite janitor / hero, Roger Wilco, finds that life sucks. Again. Roger's life has returned to normal after the events in Space Quest I: The Sarien Encounter. Transferred to the Xenon Orbital Station 4 and promoted to head (and only) janitor, life is quiet until he is abducted by Sludge Vohaul, the evil mastermind behind the original Sarien attack of the Arcada. As Roger is being transported to the Labion labor mines as punishment for thwarting Vohaul's original plan, the prison ship crash-lands in a nearby jungle upon the planet. Once again, it's up to Roger to save the day, this time by stopping Vohaul's evil plan: to eradicate sentient life from Xenon by launching millions of cloned insurance salesmen at the planet.

• Over 4000 lines of spoken dialogue
  • All backgrounds have been redrawn to match the style of later games in the series.
  • Enhanced Close up cut-scenes and dialogue pictures help immerse you into the second episode of the classic space faring series.
  • Original music by professional music composer
  • Re-experience the adventure with a stunning new interface (no more typing) And if you never played this amazing game before, you'll discover a whole new world at your fingertips

Suggested categories
Best Background art, Best Animation, Best Music, Best Character Art, Best manual? (take it this isn't around anymore)

Game links
AGS database page
Game trailer
Indie Gamer Spotlight review
TGWTG Let's Play/Review
Joystiq press release
G4TV press release
Rock Paper Shotgun release
Space Quest II at Adventure X 2011

Broomie
Infamous Quests
http://www.infamous-quests.com
Kickstart Ventures
http://www.kickstartadventure.com
-------------------

Grim

Am I too late for the party?;) Anyway, please consider THE CAT LADY for any categories you see fit.

[embed=480,360] <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Wx6j2I8v2Z0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> [/embed]

The game's entered AdventureGamers hall of glory with a 4.5/5 stars rating and recently JustAdventure with A+ score...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk