The Blackbird Strikes Back (MAGS September 2013 Entry)

Started by DBoyWheeler, Mon 23/09/2013 00:58:25

Previous topic - Next topic

DBoyWheeler

Yep, my entry into MAGS Sept. 2013 (and, for that matter, my first AGS game, period) is completed!

Behold!

The Blackbird Strikes Back!

You are a blackbird, and a human farmer had shot your mate and ruined your nest.  You vow to avenge your loss by making your human foe's life hell... in a funny sort of way.

Here's a screenshot of it:

Now, bear in mind that this is my first AGS game, let alone MAGS, so it is still a bit rough around the edges.  But it is playable.  Left-click is interact, right-click is look.

There's no save/load thing, but there's nothing to kill you, and only three "tasks" to do, so you won't need to.  Also, there's no inventory, but you're an animal, so where would you store it?  Also, I couldn't think of any sound effects or music for this, so there's no sound.  But then, this being a timed contest, there wasn't enough time.  Maybe in a future game... but I digress.

Anyway, help the black bird avenge his mate.  Play the game now!  You know you want to.

Download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5upud8fnnq8es32/MAGSSept2013.zip

Fizzii

Congrats on finishing your first AGS game!

I don't seem to be able to find a way to finish the third task though? I could only find exits for the farm, tree, shells area, and starting place, so I am not sure what I'm missing.

It may also be nice to allow the blackbird to move anywhere in a room rather than relying on hovering mouse over the exit hotspots to move. Some of the exit hover text was also a little hard to find.

DBoyWheeler

Meh, I was trying to get it so left-click is interact and right-click is look.  I'm still new to AGS, so I'm probably gonna screw up the first few games.

Should I post in Hints and Tips on what to do?

Retro Wolf

It's your first game, so it's going to have problems. You should have seen my first game!

-The character walks too slowly.
-Moving to other areas is difficult. Also if you float over the hotspot, then move the cursor away, it retains the text for the name of the next room.
-I would have liked to see the bird poo land on the farmer!
-In the room named "Shells area" there's a giant penis in the background! (laugh)

Overall, it's a good starter project to get to grips with the engine. You'll get better with practice, and I'll keep an eye out for your next game!

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Oldschool_Wolf on Wed 25/09/2013 16:42:23
It's your first game, so it's going to have problems. You should have seen my first game!

-The character walks too slowly.
-Moving to other areas is difficult. Also if you float over the hotspot, then move the cursor away, it retains the text for the name of the next room.
-I would have liked to see the bird poo land on the farmer!
-In the room named "Shells area" there's a giant penis in the background! (laugh)

Overall, it's a good starter project to get to grips with the engine. You'll get better with practice, and I'll keep an eye out for your next game!

(1) Yeah, I forgot to find out how to make the character move more quickly.
(2) Again, I don't know how to make a left-click be a walk instead of interact.
(3) I was going to make a bird poo fall animation, but beginner skill level with AGS and time constraints don't mix.
(4) The "pingas" you saw is actually the silhouette of the tree the farmer was sleeping under.

Adeel

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Wed 25/09/2013 22:34:40
[...] (2) Again, I don't know how to make a left-click be a walk instead of interact. [...]

Here's a simpler way to implement the way to make a left-click to walk as well as interact:

Spoiler

Code: AGS
function on_mouse_click(MouseButton button){ // called when a mouse button is clicked.
     if (button == eMouseLeft){
           if (GetLocationType(mouse.x, mouse.y) == eLocationNothing) ProcessClick(mouse.x, mouse.y, eModeWalkto); // if there's nothing in the way i.e. character, hotspots, object etc. Move the player.

else if (GetLocationType(mouse.x, mouse.y) != eLocationNothing) ProcessClick(mouse.x, mouse.y, eModeInteract); // else INTERACT with it

}

else if (button == eMouseRight && GetLocationType(mouse.x, mouse.y) != eLocationNothing) ProcessClick(mouse.x, mouse.y, eModeLookat);
}
[close]

DBoyWheeler

Thanks.  I'll have to save this for future reference.

Sephiroth

I've played the game, it was short but fun, didn't find any bug, I think the obvious things have already been pointed out so I'll just say congratulations for your first game and the MAGS entry!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk