MAGS February: "Fictional Spirituality" (Winner Announced)

Started by Atelier, Sat 01/02/2014 22:50:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

The competition has now ended and voting is underway.

Symbiosis by JuaniT
Lema Sabachthani by Billbis
The 4th Wall by HanaIndiana
Mobile Angel by Dmitry Stefantsov

Click on the game title to download.

Be sure to play all the entries before sending your voice! Good luck to all participants.

VOTE

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic: 'Fictional Spirituality'

This month's guidelines were set by Atavismus and Peder:

The game has to include elements of the spiritual journey of the main character.
The definition of spirituality can be very personal and large.
It can be considered as the link/relationship between us/our spirit and something higher (nature/universe/creator).
It's also a matter of interior life and the link between all of us.
The game can be serious, parodical, satyrical, etc., whatever.

Some keywords: initiation, rituals, meditation, priest, book, temple.

Ending 2nd March (an extra two days to compensate for the short month)

__________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

TGames

I am interested in joining this mags, but I am kind of confused for the theme. Can someone provide a sample story.

Volcan

I almost wish to make a sequel of Rex and Sissi using february mags but the rules prevent me to use the same sprites.

TGames

ok i read the rules more and i have an idea for a game. i would like someone to help me with the character sprites though

Billbis

I'm in. I just hope I will have time to complete something. :)

Dmitry Stefantsov

Well, I'm signing up. Let's see how the experience from the past MAGS will help to make something for the February.

jannar85

Okay, I'm in. Hope I get the chance to finish this time.

Working title:
The Call

The game will be about not giving up.

I started on other ideas before I went with this story, so if anyone wants to continue them let me know. Just want to throw out a few suggestions to spark some ideas:

The Pleiades
Where we originally originated from, at least some say so.
There's a lot of material on the internet.

First encounter
Aliens show themselves for the first time

Abducted
An alien abduction.

Out of body experience
What happens if your soul leave the body?

The afterlife
Just died, but the dead was only the beginning.

Spirit walk
An egosentric person will go on a walk of change.

Also read the Alchemist for more ideas :) Or the celestine prophecy.
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

HanaIndiana

Thanks for sharing the ideas jannar. I think I'm entering too, but I'm having trouble with this theme. It's easy to go too big.  Currently I'm thinking of doing a story about a character's relationship with 'something higher'.

SSBFreak

I really want to try entering one of these things someday, but I want to make sure I know how to properly code a game. Hopefully if I can get good enough at it that I can work fast enough, I might be able to enter one of these MAGS before the year's done.

Billbis

Ok, first week is already gone.

I have my main idea for the scenario. It will be serious, religious-related (but not proselyte), full of existential questions. The main difficulty will be not to be ridiculous, which will be hard to achieve. I hope the music will help keeping a heavy and concerned atmosphere.
I have drawn a first room, and (very poorly) done the main character walk-cycle. I am just starting the integration within AGS.
For the graphic style, I am going HiRes (800*600), Low Palette (seven colors, what a symbol! := ).

Here's a first screen:

I hope your projects are going well!

ArgyBoi

Somniatis (changed)

I have the main aspects of the plot ready, and drawn some sprites. Long way to finish it, though.

@Billbis: very nice! I like the clean style of your graphics.

HanaIndiana

I like your graphic styles a lot, very nice.

My idea is.. well, a little weird. Just hoping it will be more funny than lame. It touches on religion and belief, and taking a
journey with an all-powerful God.

I'm going with Lo-Res this time, which has been much easier for me.
Here's a screenshot of Wesley and Charlie, talking over coffee.

Title to be Decided
[IMGzoom]http://i.imgur.com/aMRNaxT.png[/IMGzoom]

Dmitry Stefantsov

Wow! These are great looking games! Excellent work, indeed.

Me and my friends (see credits for my January MAGS entry) haven't decided on the game plot yet. We only have agreed on setting and some key features of the scenario. All I can say for now is that the plot evolves around psychic issues and moral choices.

As for resolution, I'm experimenting with widescreen 640x400.

Working title: Split Conscience

selmiak

Quote from: Dmitry Stefantsov on Sun 09/02/2014 07:33:31
...the plot evolves around psychic issues and moral choices.
Working title: Split Conscience
Now this sounds problematic and interesting at the same time ;-D

Dmitry Stefantsov

Quote from: selmiak on Sun 09/02/2014 11:30:53
Now this sounds problematic and interesting at the same time ;-D

Yeah, we're intrigued by the idea too :) The hardest part is to filter the ideas being generated right now to make a coherent story. We're definitely going to deliver some thrilling experience ;)

ArgyBoi

Wow guys, very interesting ideas and nice-looking games already! This is gonna be fun!

Atavismus

Quote from: JuaniT on Sun 09/02/2014 14:52:50
Wow guys, very interesting ideas and nice-looking games already! This is gonna be fun!
+1!
I'm very glad to see that this theme is inspiring you all :)
Please, finish'em all, I wanna play'em all!
Good luck ;)

Atelier

Indeed, there are many cool looking games already!

Myshkin

Some great looking entries again! I like this theme but I'm actually still only halfway through making my *December* MAGS game... so unless I have an amazing idea that can be done quickly I don't think I'll be in this one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk