MAGS February "RON 15th Anniversary" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Mon 01/02/2016 00:15:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Voting has finished and the results are as follows:

• Boogie Bum by Jwalt - 0 votes
• The Case of the Muffin Diver by Retro Wolf - 2 votes
• Home Sweet RON by Darkwater - 3 votes

Well done DarkWater. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for April.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Boogie Bum by Jwalt
The Case of the Muffin Diver by Retro Wolf
Home Sweet RoN by DarkWater

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR VOTE
Send the title of your favourite game under the subject MAGS FEBRUARY

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite

Voting Ends: March 15th

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic: Reality-on-the-Norm
This month's guidelines were set by Hobo, Peder, Atavismus, Jonas

Hey! It's the 15th anniversary of Reality-on-the-Norm this month! Y'all know what that means? It's time for a Reality-on-the-Norm Monthly Adventure Game Studio competition or RotNMAGS (not to be confused with rotten mags)!

Since the whole RoN universe can be a bit overwhelming for non-RoNers and new community members, the competition is not limited to RoN projects only and all other games are also very welcome as long as they are somehow related or include a reference to the RON universe (for example an in-game character is making a RoN game, there's a RoN poster on the wall etc.)

Rules summary:
- Make a RoN game or a game that has a RoN reference in it
- You can (but don't have to) use all the available RoN resources
- Join the anniversary celebration and dress for the occasion (optional)

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/t3mtc5H.png[/imgzoom]

So what is Reality On The Norm, anyway?
The RON game series formed when some members of the AGS community decided to do a group project - although RON can best be described as a concept, rather than as a project in itself. It involves the creation of a central environment - in our case, the Reality-on-the-Norm town. Each member of the team creates his or her own game as a chapter to be added to all the previously achieved ones, thus creating a collective and diverse "book" of several independent yet coherent chapters.

If you're going for a Ron game and don't know where to start:
- Read this F.A.Q. about RoN universe
- Get familiar with some of characters
- Visit the AGS forums Reality-on-the-Norm subsection for extra information and advice
- Play some of the RoN games for inspiration

Two very important RoN policies: don't kill off other people's characters and don't reveal the bum's true identity.

Have a great month of RoN and MAGS everyone!

Ending: February 29th - Hooray for leap years! Extra day of dev :-D

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Retro Wolf

I've always wanted to make an RPG or roguelike in AGS, I've been hammering away on a tile movement system since yesterday and it's working quite well. Not sure how much it will relate to the RON universe, but the rules are very flexible on this.

Stupot

Yeah, seriously. The theme was chosen to celebrate RON but the link between RON and your game can be as tenuous as you like. It would be nice to see some full-on RON games, too though.

DarkWater

Sweet, a Reality-on-the-Norm MAGS ;-D
I really hope I can find the time this month to enter the contest :-\

Also, I think this is a great theme for newcomers to AGS. They'll have more time to actually concentrate on learning the ins and outs of the AGS engine, and coming up with cool puzzles, since they have the entire Reality-on-the-Norm universe at their disposal with all it's unique characters, sprites and backgrounds :-D

jwalt

I'll make an attempt:

Not confident I'll be able to get 'er done, however. I have some issues with the RoN canon, and no idea where to take this, at the moment.

Edit: Realizing that many will miss this edit, but this is what I have at this moment in time:

https://www.mediafire.com/?dft4jtd11tjall7

I got a little way into the game, and it turned itself into, more or less, a movie. I don't know if I can salvage it. Nor am I sure that it is unbreakable. Take a look, but only if you dare.

jwalt

Sticking a fork in this, even though a lot of the month remains.

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/?9i998904qtl0if5

Can you help The Bum find Roger? Still more movie than game, but reached a point of diminishing returns on the project.

Stupot

Nice one Jwalt. We have our first entry already :-D
Is anyone else in?

DarkWater

Quote from: jwalt on Wed 10/02/2016 23:17:47

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/?9i998904qtl0if5

I went to play the game and it was in a resolution my PC couldn't handle. No problem, I'll just use the “winsetup.exe” to adjust it, but unfortunately it errors and says, “unable to launch Feb16Mags.exe” :(
But the only other exe in the folder is "BoogieBum.exe" :-\

jwalt

Quote from: DarkWater on Thu 11/02/2016 05:45:47
I went to play the game and it was in a resolution my PC couldn't handle. No problem, I'll just use the “winsetup.exe” to adjust it, but unfortunately it errors and says, “unable to launch Feb16Mags.exe” :(
But the only other exe in the folder is "BoogieBum.exe" :-\

Change the name of the BoogieBum.exe (right click and rename it). It began life as Feb16Mags.exe. I appear to have naming issues. An appropriate title doesn't seem to come to me until I've spent some time with the game.

Retro Wolf

Jwalt, when I can't think of a name early on I just save the game as template then start a new project using that template as a basis.

jwalt

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Thu 11/02/2016 11:01:54
Jwalt, when I can't think of a name early on I just save the game as template then start a new project using that template as a basis.

Seems an excellent suggestion. I'll give it a try. Thanks!   

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Thu 11/02/2016 11:01:54

This should be added to the tips when starting a new game! (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Cassiebsg

I spot with my little eye... something missing! 8-0

(edit: just noticed I wrote eye instead of I (laugh)(roll) )...
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 12/02/2016 12:04:19
Eye spot with my little eye... something missing! 8-0

Hmm, good eye there. I hadn't noticed that he was missing half his body. (laugh)

jwalt

So, in another thread, someone who shall remain nameless (Cassie) suggested that, since beaucoup amount of time remains, I should work more on my movie, adding puzzles/locations/characters, turning it into, well, an actual game. I tried; I really did. I dutifully opened the file and made -- a music video. Sorry, nameless person (Cassie). I'm just hopeless, it appears.

Edit: revised the original version. Newer one:

https://www.mediafire.com/?32rh8j9dri5w512

I don't want to talk to lawyers, so I'm not going to leave this up in perpetuity. It was fun to do, and I'm a bit surprised at how often, without any scripting on my part, the followers will take a look at the cute, fuzzy little bunny in the window. If my pixeling skills were up to it (they are not), I'd love to give the bunny a carrotnet and fire the animation, at the appropriate moment, when the song reaches that instrumental interlude.

This isn't another entry, just something that gave me a chuckle while doing it. Your response may be different.

Edit: Managed to get the rabbit to do something, so updated the link.

DBoyWheeler

Yeah, it has been a while since I saw activity with Reality on the Norm.

Oh, and Stupot, who's the hot chick in the red getup?

Anyway, best of luck to all who enter.

DarkWater

I might be posting this a little late in the game, but for those less familiar with the RoN universe, Jet's Adventure on YouTube made some walkthroughs for a few of the early RoN games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa28NpM23y4&list=PL098ED12808E32CE6
This might be helpful as a primer to those wanting to enter this months MAGS, but who don't have the time to download and play several games. There's even a walkthrough for "Lunchtime of the Damned" the first Ron game :-D

You also might find "Virtual Reality" by Renegade Implementor helpful.
http://www.realityonthenorm.info/downloads/resources/res-vr-ron_vr_v05.zip
Quoted from the resource page "A interactive tool created in AGS that allows game authors to explore the city & surrounding area of RoN and see how it connects as well as providing context to locations and characters. "

Retro Wolf

The chick's name is Dame McBombshell...

I got a bit bored with the RPG idea, so I'm going for a short point and click adventure.

Gurok

I'm surprised you didn't make her last name Bottom. Also, I think you're supposed to include the first name when referring to someone as Dame.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk