I have the constitution of an old smelly lady...

Started by Squinky, Thu 09/10/2003 18:44:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Squinky

Thats right, I'm sickly or something. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis again, having had it only a few months ago. What was wrong with me in between to make me feel like I'm just a loser when it comes to the immune system? I had pneumonia also this year....

Could this be the result of my mother smoking while pregnant with me, or a lifetime of living with smokers and sucking up that wonderful secondhand smoke? Or can I find something else to blame it on?

Someone tell me before I contract yet another fricking disease...

TheYak

Are you certain you've not been subjected to ah... intensive probing by extra-terrestrials?  That can damage the immune system.

Raggit

I'm sorry to hear that Squinky.  

You could have a weaker immune system for both the reasons you stated.  Your mother smoking while pregnent with you and secondhand smoke.

But you can boost your immune system's strength with various foods and stuff.  Especially with vitamin C.  

Hope things get better for you.   :'(
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Ginny

Gah, secondhand smoke is horrible.. *reminds myself to stay back when my mom is smoking*. But actually, i've been pretty careful in that aspect, and i too have a weaker immune system than most. I have light astma and I'm alergic to dust, and living in dusty Israel doesn't help :P I have a cold all year (except when normal people have colds. That's when I feel great and don't sneeze even once). I've had bronhitis due to my allergy several times, and overall I think I might be a little low on vitamins (except, ironically, for Vitamin C, which I think I have an overdose of :P. I love the stuff :D).

Ah, this is fun.

*Gets some Vitamin C*
Heh, actually, I have periods when I don't take any VC (if we're out) and periods when I take a lot.
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

D · Y · D · O

Man, that's tough. Bronchitis twice and pneumonia in one year?

Increasing the strength of your immune system besides taking certain drugs can be achieved by:
- Relaxing. Stress increases your susceptibility to diseases and such.
- Sleep. Sleeping sufficiently long at the same hours won't just make you wealthy and wise, but healthy as well.
- Herbs. For example herbal teas containing Echinacea or Ginseng.
- Excercise. Sports and/or fitness do a lot of good.
- Eat. Eat healthily. Fruits or vegetables daily. Fish once a week doesn't hurt. Lots of protein. Avoid TV dinners and junk food when you can. Nuts and seeds are good once every while. "Unsaturated" is the word you're looking for in ingredient lists. Olive oil.

I wish you a speedy recovery and continuing health.
We are number one! All others are number two, or lower. - The Sphinx
Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever. - Shane Falco
Instagame (FREE resources for your games!)

Timosity

I'd say what you stated would help in those type of problems.

I'm a smoker, but I'm still relatively fit, and have a great immune system, although cancer will cut through my immune system and say fuck you're an idiot.

but I hate second hand smoke, even being a smoker, I never smoke inside my house, even in winter I bear the cold. If there are kids around I try to move away from them, and atleast try not to blow smoke in peoples faces, but at pubs and clubs I still smoke only because you can.

In a year or two, there will be no smoking anywhere, and it will be hard to go somewhere and feel comfortable lighting up. It might help me quit, and it's so bloody expensive these days, it's about $10 AUS for a pack of 25 ciggerettes, I remeber saying I'd quit when they reached $5.

My parents never smoked while I've been alive, and I've never lived for any long periods in a house where smoking was allowed, which probably helps a bit, but I really should quit.

Shit I've gotta go up the pub and watch the Rugby World Cup opener, it's already on, shit beer makes me smoke, damnit

Hope you get better soon Squinky, with no reoccurrances

Robert Eric

*sniffles*

Fourth cold this year.  Who knew you could catch a cold from computers.

* Robert Eric pulls out a gun and blasts his good-for-nothing piece of **** computer right between the eyes!
Ã, Ã, 

SSH

Quote from: Tìmosíty on Fri 10/10/2003 12:13:49
I've gotta go up the pub and watch the Rugby World Cup opener, it's already on,

Congrats to the Wallabies on winning, but I was just checking the Scottish fixture list and saw that we're playing in Townsville. Any AGSers live there? Do the Powerpuff Girls really stay there?

Nine Toes

Dude, there's nothing wrong with you, seriously... I think people who get sick are perfectly normal.

I, on the other hand, almost never get sick... I've never had a broken bone either.  I can't remember the last time I even had a cold.  I never have a valid reason to take the day off from work...

Hope you get better soon.  Make yourself some chicken soup.
Watch, I just killed this topic...

Bodyart's boss

Quote from: Bodyart on Fri 10/10/2003 17:51:02
I, on the other hand, almost never get sick... I've never had a broken bone either.  I can't remember the last time I even had a cold.  I never have a valid reason to take the day off from work...

What! You said you were off sick last week! You're fired!

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Evil

D · Y · D · O

Quote from: Bodyart on Fri 10/10/2003 17:51:02I, on the other hand, almost never get sick... I've never had a broken bone either.  I can't remember the last time I even had a cold.  I never have a valid reason to take the day off from work...

Is your name David Dunne?
We are number one! All others are number two, or lower. - The Sphinx
Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever. - Shane Falco
Instagame (FREE resources for your games!)

Quickstrike

Squinky, I'm sorry to hear that your sick.  Just blame it on goats.  I never get sick, I have an immune system of steel, but I'm allergic to everything on the planet.
"You know something people,  I'm not black, but there's a whole buncha times I wish I could say 'I'm not white'"-Frank Zappa, "Trouble Every Day"

After

About Vitamin C
Be sure you have a reasonable amount of iron in your diet to ensure that Vitamin C is actually effective. Smokers should also be sure of this, as smoking diminishes the body's ability to utilize Vitamin C.

Femme Stab Mode >:D

If you're Australian vitamin C won't help you much, as a study showed, because Aussies have so much fruit in their diet. I drink echinacea tea with lemon though, because I don't like oranges.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Renal Shutdown

Hey,

Masturbation weakens the immune system.  Something to do with a sudden loss of protein or something.  A thousand drops of blood make a single drop of bone marrow, and a thousand drops of bone marrow make a single drop of semen..  Or, so I've been told..  Ancient Indian Proverb, I think.

I, too, have a some kind of bronchitis/flu resulting from molesting chinese geese.  I thought I was on a boat, talking to a cabbage earlier.  I found out the boat was a sofa and the cabbage was a pack of menthol cigarettes.  Damn fever induced halucinations..  at least it's cheaper than acid, only everything tastes like strudel at the moment.  This happens every October.  Get well soon, Squinky..

Hugs
Iqu

Also, the two paragraphs above have absolutely no relation to each other.

EDIT :

To answer Trapezoid's (following) question/statement/insult..

It's more ejaculation than masturbation, actually, and it's is supposed to have an effect on your immune system, much as sex.  I think it's for a few hours afterwards, while your body takes time out to refuel it's love spuds.  Possibly something to do with white blood cells, I'm not a 100% sure.  It does weaken it in some way.
"Don't get defensive, since you have nothing with which to defend yourself." - DaveGilbert

Trapezoid

The masturbation thing sounds like BS to me. Or were you joking? If that's the case, then "zing".

Las Naranjas

"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

remixor

Yeah, oranges are terrible and should be put to death.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk