Critics on Guybrush

Started by Sadistyk, Sun 18/02/2007 02:20:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Sadistyk

I'm having a hard time with the arms, especially the right one (his left one). It looks kind of "long", doesn't it? Do they look right to you? Suggestions please.

R4L

Its refreshing to see Guybrush in a different style. I like this, its clean, and the shading is spot on. His left leg looks a bit weird like that however.

aussie

How about this?

I think his left arm should be a bit more hidden behind his body.

Besides, I reckon he's too tall and lanky. I've shortened his torso and arms by 2-3 pixels.

And just for the record, I think it's a tremendous sprite.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

accolyte

I like it too:). It looks like a mix of the styles from the older and newer MI-games. A nice work.

Sadistyk

Aussie, you saved my life, it looks exactly like I wanted to. And of course, thanks to you all for the good critics ;).

Haddas

That's a nice version of Guybrush. I like it a lot. I don't know if there's anything I'd change, however, good work does deserve praise.

Ali

I know you asked for criticism on his stance, but I'd like to make a couple of suggestions regarding his face. To me, it looks a little too aristocratic for guybrush, the overbite and narrow jaw in particular seeming not quite right.

Here are a couple of alternatives that I think have a bit more of a guybrushy feel. They're rough, but I tried to stay within your style and pitch it somewhere between SMI and CMI. I think the softer features are more inkeeping with a young would-be pirate. I've also turned his head a little towards the viewer because I think it fits better with his stance.

I hope that this unsolicited facial criticism is useful. I think it's a very nice sprite, I particularly like the hair, and the colours are very well chosen.

Sadistyk

Thanks Ali, I didn't noticed that. The third one you made looks very naive, and kind of silly, just like guybrush. I'll keep this in mind.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I made a quick edit to give you some ideas for improving your already impressive sprite.

1.  Used your existing colors (and one extra) and added highlights to his skin and clothes to bring out features.

2.  Made his face more innocent with slightly larger eyes ideal for expressions.

3.  Moved his left arm more out of view.

4.  Moved the left leg in one pixel.

Very solid design here.  Nice work!

Snarky

Very cool sprite, Sadistyk. The style reminds me a lot of buloght's MI sprites. (That's a good thing.)

Sadistyk

Wow, now that's a Guybrush!! It's an amazing job, progZmax. After I saw the repaint you did, I tried to do something like it on the original one, but I couldn't make it. I'm not THAT skilled... yet ;). But still, a great idea.

Sadistyk

Well, instead of siting back and getting depressed, I tried to follow the instructions of progZmax and here's the result:

So, what do you think?

Chicky

hmm, this is a sprite Bulghart (sp?) did a while back for a sprite jam. Same colours as yours but that could just be a reference thing.

Just trying to stir up some controversy :)

LGM

*gasp* oh the humanity!

Looks good, man. I think his right arm is too long now.
You. Me. Denny's.

Sadistyk

Yes, I did use the colours of that sprite. I hope you don't mind. If you do, just let me know and I'll change them.

buloght

Your spelling is fine as always chicky  ;)

Sadistic, you then took the colours indirectly from the Monkey Island 1 game :D since I did, except for the hair maybe, cannot remember. Great sprite.

Sadistyk

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

A good follow up to my advice!  The one thing you might do is round his face more, get rid of the pointed chin and nose.  Remember, sharp features are usually reserved for villains, old people, and superheroes!

Afflict

I like his villainy look, now just to sell it...  we need a little beard, an uber kewl cape, and a walking stick.

buloght

Hey I made a draw over (though I'm not much of a spriter). Same colours, haha, not sure if that contributes anything to this thread. Looking forward to seeing the game :D I always imagined guybrush having a toughish stance, "I'm a pirate!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk