Woodlands - Updated (2008-01-23)

Started by fovmester, Sat 16/07/2005 09:14:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Pod

Quote from: fovmester on Sun 31/07/2005 17:01:20
Quote from: Mats Berglinn on Sat 30/07/2005 18:20:27
Well, the interface seem a bit okay for me but what if you want to try different kind of stuff, like trying to open a chest but it doesn't work and you want to push and/or pull it instead? When you got four commands (hand, feet, mouth and eye) the amount of actions are very limited unlike the Verb Boxes Interface were you can use different kinds of actions on things. The more possiblities there are, the more things you can do. I mean it's different giving a goon a ming vase than use it to smash it on his head (Give and Use for the Verb Boxes and either on them on the inventory use command). In other words, I don't personalitly think that the interface system is "marvelous". But it's your game, not mine.

Of course it's better with "lick lollipop" than "talk to lollipop" or "eat sandswich" than "talk to sandwhich".

You've got a point there. Hmm. But still I think I'm sticking to this interface for now. I'll think about it, though.

I don't think he has a point. It's exactly the same as the Sierra one in thr fact you can only do one action. At least you know what the game expects you to do if you click the mouse, instead of sierra style, where it could be one of an infinite number of things. I'm "interacting" with someone, but I don't know what the action is unless I do it. At least your way I know what it is before I do it.
In the sierra interface, you can't push/pull a chest if it doesn't open first time you click it. So it's no different here.

And unless you have 20 different commands, and 20 different responses for each objects, there's no way of  going about the "what the player wants to do" route.

fovmester

All right! For now I'll stick to what I already got. Thanks for your thoughts, people! :)

fovmester

I thought I should update y'all on what I've been doing the last weeks:

I've drawn three new backgrounds, all containing many trees and lots and lots of green. ;)

I've also completed all basic animations for Tom (the main character) including all four directions in all four of his moods (normal, angry, afraid and persuasive).

On top of that I've drawn and animated the evil guy. He's got a couple of moods on him as well so it took some time.

Right now I'm doing the finishing touches on the next background, then I thought I'd draw some of the evil henchmen... Maybe I'll post them here when I'm done... What do you think? ;)

So considering I've been at work from 7am to 4pm every weekday the last four weeks I must say I still have got a great deal of things done!! And now that I'm free for two weeks who knows how much I'll be able to do, right!?

EDIT: Geeze, I sound jaunty!! :)

Mats Berglinn

Yeah, posting backgrounds and stuff really teases us veiwers and makes us want to play the game right away. It's just the way you did for Frank the Farmhand 2.

Darth Mandarb

Man I thought I had replied to this thread but I haven't ...

fovmester - this game looks very nice!

It even appears to be a step up from the Farmhand games (and they were quite excellent!)!

Keep up the good work!

fovmester

Thanks Darth! I really try to make this game better than my previous games. I've put much work into the story: For example I've given all (important) characters a background story and written a list of their personality treats. And I've also come up with a history of the woodlands. It's not very important for the game's plot but hopefully it will accomplish a more believeable atmosphere.

Here's a screenshot from one of the woodland-path scenes. It shows one of the creatures that inhabit the forest. It's called a "dow" for now (might change it later on).

Mats Berglinn

The dow sure looks funny and weird (as a compliment). Is it a good guy creature or a bad guy creature? I really like the forrest background.

I wonder, when do you think this game will be finished?

calacver

WOW! I like your backgrounds. Nice sun rays.

fovmester

Quote from: Mats Berglinn on Thu 18/08/2005 19:35:03
The dow sure looks funny and weird (as a compliment). Is it a good guy creature or a bad guy creature? I really like the forrest background.

Thanks! It's just a creature that eats grass. It's neither good nor bad. It's not intelligent enough to choose sides.

I wonder, when do you think this game will be finished?

Oh, the dreaded question!! ;) It's still to early to say when the game's finished.

My first game took me 7 months to finish, and the second about a year. Since this game is my most ambitious to date, I'm expecting it to take AT LEAST as long as a year. Sorry!

But I'm really working hard on it, so who knows!

Iv4n

Woah! Those shots looks quite impressive! I really like these kind of graphics, story etc. Thumbsup.

Mats Berglinn

QuoteThanks! It's just a creature that eats grass. It's neither good nor bad. It's not intelligent enough to choose sides.

But as long as it doesn't harm anyone friendly or doesn't work for any ill characters then it should be consindered as a good guy character. Just because it doesn't help the hero fight the villan, doesn't it mean that it can't be nice.

ildu

RyRayer

I like your style and that there's no black outlines in Woodlands :). I hope the atmosphere in the game will be good.

fovmester

Hi!

School's started again, but I'm still working quite hard on the game. I've been working on the intro-sequence which will feature an animated flash-movie of the villain burning down Tom's house.

But here's a sprite of the villain himself: Hilbot the Wizard and one of his goons.

Mats Berglinn

Nothing personal but should really the villian and the goon have "cute animal" eyes? In my opinion the eyes of the wizard should be more evil-looking. I know this is not critic's lounge but I think that the goon (a goblin maybe?) should have red evil eyes and big fangs poke up from the lower lip. Otherwise they don't look bad.

Just one question about the intro-sequence: If the party scene is playable then how come the Burning Tom's House scene is the intro scene?

fovmester

Right. The eyes are a matter of style and will remain the same on all characters in the game. Personally I think the wizard looks evil enough as it is. He's not supposed to be Sauron-evil, more like pathetic-evil. ;)

I can see what you mean about the goon, though. He might look better if given some additional "evil" treat such as big fangs. I'll look into it.

QuoteIf the party scene is playable then how come the Burning Tom's House scene is the intro scene?

Well, the party is part of the intro as well. After Frank 2 (which I thought had a too long intro sequence) I thought about making the intro interactive for Woodlands. That is: Some parts of it are cut-sequences and in other you control the character (making conversation and looking at things). In this way I'm hoping to make the intro more interesting even though there's a lot of story being told.

Mats Berglinn

Quote from: fovmester on Wed 07/09/2005 06:49:36
Right. The eyes are a matter of style and will remain the same on all characters in the game. Personally I think the wizard looks evil enough as it is. He's not supposed to be Sauron-evil, more like pathetic-evil. ;)

I can see what you mean about the goon, though. He might look better if given some additional "evil" treat such as big fangs. I'll look into it.

QuoteIf the party scene is playable then how come the Burning Tom's House scene is the intro scene?

Well, the party is part of the intro as well. After Frank 2 (which I thought had a too long intro sequence) I thought about making the intro interactive for Woodlands. That is: Some parts of it are cut-sequences and in other you control the character (making conversation and looking at things). In this way I'm hoping to make the intro more interesting even though there's a lot of story being told.

Ah, ok. Well, the choice of eye-style is yours. Fine to me.
There's something I wonder, is the name Tom just a good name or is it inspired by Tom Bombadill?

aussie

I suppose this is not the critics lounge, but anyway,

I do agree with Mats about the goon. I think he's a tiny bit too cute.

The fangs idea sounds good to me fov, but I think it's the eyes that really make the difference. Perhaps if you make him frown...

Otherwise, how would sunglasses go with the game? Sure, it's a wacky touch, but he'd look mean. Maybe it's worth a try.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Mordalles

like ure game a lot! and the goon looks perfect the way he is. keep the eyes the way it is. it works.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

fovmester

QuoteThere's something I wonder, is the name Tom just a good name or is it inspired by Tom Bombadill?

No, I never thought about Tom Bombadill. Tom was actually just something that I started to call him after I had drawn him a couple of times. When it later on was time to name him, no other name seemed right. I guess he was meant to be a Tom. ;)

QuoteThe fangs idea sounds good to me fov, but I think it's the eyes that really make the difference. Perhaps if you make him frown...

Otherwise, how would sunglasses go with the game? Sure, it's a wacky touch, but he'd look mean. Maybe it's worth a try.

Well, he's already frowning a bit. Maybe if I make his brows darker he will look more aggressive?
I'm not liking the idea of sunglasses though. Mostly because it would be anachronistic and not at all fit in the game-world. Anachronistic can be good, but only in a wacky game like Monkey Island.

Quotelike ure game a lot! and the goon looks perfect the way he is. keep the eyes the way it is. it works.

Thanks. It's nice to hear the goon's not a total failure. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk